Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/16/2014 11:34:43 AM EDT
I have a 14.5" upper that I use on a work gun. The lower is owned by my agency but I'd like to put this upper on my lower now. I have an A2 flash hider on it now. I also have a spare Vortex. I know the Vortex is a great flash hider but it's a little heavy and this is a light weight upper. I'm looking to get some opinions on a good flash hider that works at least almost as good as a Vortex but is also light weight. Any recommendations?

I already have two SBR lowers and I don't want to bother registering another.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 11:46:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Lighter than Vortex works just as well that is a tall order.

Vortex is better than a A2, to get better than Vortex you are looking at flash hiders that more often than not are bigger, longer or heavier:

Center rifle is a pinned S&W flash hider on light weight barrel,  I would say better than a Vortex and to keep the weight down they took a lot of metal out from the inside its really thin. I don't think S&W sells it as a separate item though. Below my Vortex pinned 14.5 standard weight.

Link Posted: 12/16/2014 12:14:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I like the YHM phantom 5C1
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 4:36:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Do you plan to ever run a suppressor on them?  Just food for thought.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 5:04:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do you plan to ever run a suppressor on them?  Just food for thought.
View Quote

This..... Get the hider/comp/brake that will fit your future suppressor.

I am converting all the 51T AAC's for future AAC suppressor.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:09:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't think I would ever want a suppressor on that gun.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:18:29 PM EDT
[#6]
If you don't plan to use a suppressor and you want light weight, go with a Voodoo Manimal.

It has an OD of .74" which will allow you to reconfigure your upper at will (assuming your gas block is a .75" ID) without the need to grind and remove the installed flash hider.

Once the Manimal is installed, there really is not a need to ever remove it, unless you just want to use a different flash hider.

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 11:29:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I like the YHM phantom 5C1
View Quote

I don't think this can be beat for the money and functionality.
I have a couple myself.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 11:43:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Lighter than Vortex works just as well that is a tall order.

Vortex is better than a A2, to get better than Vortex you are looking at flash hiders that more often than not are bigger, longer or heavier:

Center rifle is a pinned S&W flash hider on light weight barrel,  I would say better than a Vortex and to keep the weight down they took a lot of metal out from the inside its really thin. I don't think S&W sells it as a separate item though. Below my Vortex pinned 14.5 standard weight.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j292/stukas87/threeAA2.jpg
View Quote

I've got an extra S&W FH if anyone is interested.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 11:50:23 AM EDT
[#9]
I'd go with an A2X. There used to be a really good comparison of flash hiders and muzzle brakes at vuurwapenblog, but that site seems to be down. Anyone know what happened to it?
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:30:29 PM EDT
[#10]
The vortex flash hider works, but I hate the ping noise when I'm shooting.  I prefer the A2 after purchasing a vortex.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:51:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If you don't plan to use a suppressor and you want light weight, go with a Voodoo Manimal.

It has an OD of .74" which will allow you to reconfigure your upper at will (assuming your gas block is a .75" ID) without the need to grind and remove the installed flash hider.

Once the Manimal is installed, there really is not a need to ever remove it, unless you just want to use a different flash hider.

View Quote

I am going this way on my current 14.5 build.  I like the light weight and extended A2 will do the job I am looking for.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 1:24:35 PM EDT
[#12]
AAC 51T.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 1:28:53 PM EDT
[#13]
AAC and Vortex

Embrace the Ping.  I love it
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 8:35:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have a 14.5" upper that I use on a work gun. The lower is owned by my agency but I'd like to put this upper on my lower now. I have an A2 flash hider on it now. I also have a spare Vortex. I know the Vortex is a great flash hider but it's a little heavy and this is a light weight upper. I'm looking to get some opinions on a good flash hider that works at least almost as good as a Vortex but is also light weight. Any recommendations?

View Quote

You do realize that you can use that (or ANY other) upper on either of your SBR lowers, right?  That's what I'd do.  I have one SBR lower (at the moment), and several different uppers in different calibers, that I use with it.  9mm, 5.56mm, 300 Blackout, etc.  That's what I'd do.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 2:30:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You do realize that you can use that (or ANY other) upper on either of your SBR lowers, right?  That's what I'd do.  I have one SBR lower (at the moment), and several different uppers in different calibers, that I use with it.  9mm, 5.56mm, 300 Blackout, etc.  That's what I'd do.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know it's good on my SBR's and the work lower but I'd like to put it on its own lower and I don't want to have to register another SBR. I have enough lowers for all my uppers. If I can't match them all up it unbalances the universe and illegals become legal, being unemployed is just as lucrative as being employed, countries that spy on us and pose a threat become vacation spots.....
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:32:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I know it's good on my SBR's and the work lower but I'd like to put it on its own lower and I don't want to have to register another SBR. I have enough lowers for all my uppers. If I can't match them all up it unbalances the universe and illegals become legal, being unemployed is just as lucrative as being employed, countries that spy on us and pose a threat become vacation spots.....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gotcha.  I know it's odd, but I've run into more than one person who had an SBR's AR and thought they could only use that one upper on it...
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:41:41 PM EDT
[#17]
I have lots of rounds down range/training with the A2, Smith "Vortex", and Phantom 5C2 flash hiders. The Vortex is the best, but I'd say it's only a cunt hair better at taming flash than the YHM Phantom 5C2, if even at all. The 5C2 is a good bit lighter in weight too. I'd go with the 5C2 personally if weight is of importance... You can't go wrong with the Vortex and Phantom 5C2 in my experience... Both are very solid!
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:30:30 PM EDT
[#18]
BE Meyers or A2.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 2:57:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for the info all.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 3:10:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Its been said but I'll add.  YHM Phantom. Light, hides flash very well, seems to manage recoil better than A2, aesthetically pleasing, and is low priced.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top