Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/16/2014 9:51:59 AM EDT
First off, I want to thank you ahead of time for any advice or reviews you can lend.

I am looking to purchase my first AR and looking for a great all around rifle with good value for my dollar.

The two I have been seriously considering are the Daniel Defense M4V11 and the LaRue Tactical PredatAR in 5.56.

If you have any suggestions on which of the two you feel are better, and why, I would appreciate it. Also open to other comparable rifles of good quality.

The price point on these rifles are very similar and I am open to spend a little more if necessary, just looking for input to help with making my first purchase a great one!

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 9:53:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Larue without question.

I have their 7.62 Pred and a stealth upper and love both.

Link Posted: 12/16/2014 10:02:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks! I have heard great things about both. But here in Texas, Larue is a popular name.. Im trying not to be bias
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 10:11:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Why not build your rifle? You can purchase quality components and have a much nicer rifle for less money.

V
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 10:15:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why not build your rifle? You can purchase quality components and have a much nice rifle for less money.

V
View Quote

I happen to agree with this, especially since BCM is running a good sale right now on their uppers.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 10:20:04 AM EDT
[#5]
I would get the LaRue personally.  You can always build later.  My philosophy is: if you have the cash for a LaRue now, you will have the cash to build a BCM in 3 or 4 months.  These are obviously the brands you want and I wouldn't second guess that.  You are going to need more than one anyways .  I think ppl here can get "build one" happy sometimes on first time AR buyers.  To be honest, I have to build one for a friend later today and I am kinda dreading it right now.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 10:22:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks. I would definitely need much more research before I can consider a build. Id prefer to get a quality rifle to get comfortable with to start before I dive into that realm..
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 11:04:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Unless your local dealer has one in stock the LaRues lead time is just crazy.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 11:21:06 AM EDT
[#8]
If cost was no object (edit...the 5.56 Larues are surprisingly affordable) I would definately go with the Larue.  Nothing against DD, they make great rifles too.  

Link Posted: 12/16/2014 1:28:33 PM EDT
[#9]
The LaRue Tactical PredatAR in 5.56.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 1:31:25 PM EDT
[#10]
you wouldnt be dissapointed or under gunned with either choice just keep in mind PSA has great deals and quality and colt 6920s at walmart hver around $950 sometimes a bit cheaper
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 1:40:19 PM EDT
[#11]
The Larue will most likely be more accurate but you can't go wrong with either one.  
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 1:50:05 PM EDT
[#12]
you've narrowed your choices down to two great rifles. We can all agree that they will both be equally reliable, LT might have an edge in the accuracy dept, but if I were you I'd take the LaRue for a few reasons, #1 the Texas thing(I'm not from here but the TX pride thing is something else, If you got a Star on the exterior of your house then it's a no-brainer), LaRue produces less rifles, which makes it more "limited edition"(downside is the wait). those two reasons plus maybe a slight edge in accuracy would make me take the LaRue.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 2:21:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Larue all the way. I have owned most of the top tier boutique rifles. I now own 4 Larue's.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 4:38:41 PM EDT
[#14]
I would be proud to own either rifle and use both LaRue and Daniel Defense parts.

Just flip a coin or go with your gut  Look at specific feature differences and chose which is more likely to be useful. Either will be superb.  Both have excellent customer support.

Buy both, send me the one you don't like.  I'll gladly accept your reject!
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 4:41:54 PM EDT
[#15]
IMO it will depend on what you want the rifle to do.  If I wanted to shoot tight groups I'd do the LaRue.  If I wanted a "battle rifle" I'd go DD.

Link Posted: 12/16/2014 4:42:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Larue lead times are down dramatically. Some new rifle orders have shipped in a few weeks.

Quoted:
Unless your local dealer has one in stock the LaRues lead time is just crazy.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/16/2014 5:02:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Both are excellent rifles and both will serve you many years of your life very well.

I choose LaRue 1 because they are in Texas and 2 because they are bad ass rifles.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 5:07:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The LaRue Tactical PredatAR in 5.56.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/16/2014 5:36:00 PM EDT
[#19]
I got in contact in Larue and the lead time they are giving is within 3 months now. But i am hearing that when they have given that time, it has shown up quite a bit sooner recently
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 6:03:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I got in contact in Larue and the lead time they are giving is within 3 months now. But i am hearing that when they have given that time, it has shown up quite a bit sooner recently
View Quote

This is true they are catching up after the full derp panic.

Honestly if you went with the DD you would still be good to go.  The LaRue is just one sweet ass rifle.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 6:31:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
IMO it will depend on what you want the rifle to do.  If I wanted to shoot tight groups I'd do the LaRue.  If I wanted a "battle rifle" I'd go DD.

View Quote

My thoughts as well. Pretty much an apples to oranges comparison since they are both "good" -  just at different things.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 7:05:01 PM EDT
[#22]
LaRue
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 7:11:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Don't waste the extra $ on either. Buy a Windham Weaponry WW-15.  For the $ it's the best rifle in the market.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 7:21:21 PM EDT
[#24]
LARUE
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 7:40:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Don't waste the extra $ on either. Buy a Windham Weaponry WW-15.  For the $ it's the best rifle in the market.
View Quote

No way in hell I would pay anything close to a Colt 6920 for a commercial grade rifle.  The OP has asked about two of the best AR15s on the higher end market.  

Link Posted: 12/16/2014 9:51:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Join Date- check

Username- check

Post count- check

Post about rifle company that shares the same name as the member- check

Are you shill'in undercover for a paying Industry member?

You just come across that way.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 9:59:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hrrrmmmm......could this be a Windham emloyee?
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 10:11:32 PM EDT
[#28]
I would rather have the LaRue.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 10:12:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Windham is shilling now? I guess I'll stay even farther away from them now.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 10:47:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Are you saying the Larue isn't a battle rifle ? I'd grab the Larue over the DD.
I think your better off choosing between KAC and Larue closer match IMO.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 10:50:59 PM EDT
[#31]
LaRue.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 5:44:08 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like LaRue, but when I think battle rifle I think Chrome lined, cold hammer forged, 1/7 twist barrel that is meant to be abused.  

When I think of accuracy I think of LaRue.

Not a slight to LaRue at all.

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:56:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Thanks! I have heard great things about both. But here in Texas, Larue is a popular name.. Im trying not to be bias
View Quote

If I lived in Texas, I would most certainly want to support LaRue Tactical. Even though I do not live there, given the choice, I would still choose LaRue over DD. I have owned a LaRue AR before and I regret ever selling it (needed the money). I will again have one some day. If the LaRue Tactical PredatAR 5.56 is in you budget, I say go for it.

My former LaRue Tactical carbine
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top