Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/1/2014 12:07:47 AM EDT
Haven't seen to many posts regarding Stag lately. Is that good or bad? Just figure with as many rifles that they sell there would be more posts.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 12:18:00 AM EDT
[#1]
If you click on the "Industry" tab, and then go to the Stag Arms Forum, there are lots of threads about them :)
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 9:14:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Probably don't see a lot of conversation about them anymore as they aren't the flavor of the month, and they run well enough there aren't a lot of complaints.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 4:58:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I was wondering the same.  

I am intrigued by the 3TM if anyone has input on one.  Also the plus package w/ 1/7 twist barrel etc..

For approx $1300 for 3TM w/ plus package, wondering if the value is there vs. others or having one built.  

Link Posted: 11/1/2014 5:07:03 PM EDT
[#4]
People can say what they want about stag and that's fine but I doubt many folks can outshoot the stag I have with an out of the box ar for less than 1k. And before the smartbutts jump in on me, I said the gun not the shooter. Mediocre I am. Excellent shooter the gun is!!!!!
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 5:31:41 PM EDT
[#5]
+1 for stagg a gtg rifle
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 9:54:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I've shot one for years.  It's changed a lot over this time but it has been G2G.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 10:56:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Unless they have changed in the last year or so, all of their ARs are carbine gas.  Nothing wrong with that, but personally I like mid-length.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 11:02:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Unless they have changed in the last year or so, all of their ARs are carbine gas.  Nothing wrong with that, but personally I like mid-length.
View Quote

You mean besides their rifle length systems?

They do not currently offer mid length DI rifles.

Stag rifles are GTG.

I've got a Stag, a Colt 6920, a BCM Midlength, and a Spikes.

I would trust my life to any of them.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 11:40:00 PM EDT
[#9]
What about their + package barrels, are they alot  better then their standard?
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 7:19:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Depends on your definition of better...

They're standard is a 1/9 twist barrel with a normal chrome lining.
For the Plus Package barrels, they use 1/7 twist  chrome lined barrels and I believe they  High Pressure test them.

Doest necessarily make the barrels better, per se, but does give the user the option of using "Mil Spec" barrels.

Keep in mind that Mil Spec is rooted in the best of 1950s/60's metallurgy.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 8:54:00 PM EDT
[#11]
If you’re implying old metallurgy is a negative
First you need to consider
That was a time when squeezing max profit was usually second to quality / new isn’t always better.
Just sayin
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 8:58:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Probably don't see a lot of conversation about them anymore as they aren't the flavor of the month, and they run well enough there aren't a lot of complaints.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 9:44:02 PM EDT
[#13]
NIce you just answered my Question
I m looking for a Stag forum
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 10:39:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If you’re implying old metallurgy is a negative
First you need to consider
That was a time when squeezing max profit was usually second to quality / new isn’t always better.

Just sayin
View Quote

Well said and no doubt! Mil-Spec is the standard starting point for comparison...

OP, I don't own a complete Stag rifle but I've been around them for a while. I wouldn't hesitate to own a complete Stag rifle with the + Package or any of their other products. Stag makes good stuff. I don't hesitate to buy stag parts and use them in builds with BCM, Spikes, MEGA, and DD parts reciprocally. I build all my rifles now and have for years rather than buy them. Stag is good to go; buy with confidence...
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 11:00:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Stag/CMT is good stuff.  I don't think anybody here will say differently.  Their parts and components are scattered through many of my rifles.

The only reason I don't have one of their rifles is because I personally don't want a damned deer plastered to my receiver.  I don't like their style using those Diamondhead rails, so other than pure aesthetic reasons, I can find no reason not to pick up a Stag rifle.

I have friends that will only run their BCGs, and others that swear by their barrels.  I love their LPKs It seems like a small thing, but all LPKs are not created equal.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 11:11:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Good, solid rifles. I'm never selling mine.
I have been very pleased with my Stag model 2.  Very reliable and accurate.  No failures to do anything.  They are not as "Benz-y" as other brands, but my guns are tools so that matters little to me.

The first company to offer a true left handed AR-15 and supportive of 2A as well as a good warranty.  I have to stretch every dollar five ways, so the price tag was also manageable for me at $725.  I am a deer hunter, so I like the roll mark. Some may not.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 2:01:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I was wondering the same.  

I am intrigued by the 3TM if anyone has input on one.  Also the plus package w/ 1/7 twist barrel etc..

For approx $1300 for 3TM w/ plus package, wondering if the value is there vs. others or having one built.  

https://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/server2100/yrjoy4/products/322/images/599/3T_M__47437.1405394502.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

View Quote

That diamondhead rail rocks. Just sayin'
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 3:26:52 AM EDT
[#18]
This is a complete Stag Model 3 with a Spikes BCG and buffer. Runs like a sewing machine even with it's 1/9 barrel made out of 4140. Out shoots my Colt all day long

Link Posted: 12/11/2014 10:15:52 AM EDT
[#19]
I've had one for over 4 years, not one issue
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 10:44:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Stag is gtg. One of the most underrated brands out there.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 10:52:25 AM EDT
[#21]
stags are great guns and have amazing customer service. i own a model 3 a model 8 and i built another with about 80% stag parts. gtg
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 10:16:08 AM EDT
[#22]
I have a 3+ and I havent had any issues with it at all. I put an Samson Evolution rail on it , Troy BUIS, AimpPoint PRO, TangoDown VFG, Magpul grip & sling....shoots GREAT !!!
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 11:50:57 AM EDT
[#23]
I have 2 Model 1 and Model 3, swapped out the BGC's for their Chrome bolts, easy cleaning, put Raptor chargers on them, replaced grips, stocks and all with Magpul and battery assist with Tactical Link.

They are the best rifles I have invested in especially for the price. Customer service is excellent. I will be buying the 9mm one of these days as well as probably a spare Stag as parts.

Got a Sig AR Pistol only because they had one in stack at local shop, our I would have built one with Stag parts.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 2:09:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 2:45:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
This is a complete Stag Model 3 with a Spikes BCG and buffer. Runs like a sewing machine even with it's 1/9 barrel made out of 4140. Out shoots my Colt all day long

<a href="http://s1049.photobucket.com/user/psouthern1214/media/13261C75-85D4-47B8-B1CF-94316685C29E_zpskkyisx39.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s400/psouthern1214/13261C75-85D4-47B8-B1CF-94316685C29E_zpskkyisx39.jpg</a>
View Quote

I'm with you on the 1/9 twist barrels. I only own one, 1/9 barrel and the rest are all 1/7 twist... When it comes to shooting 62gr, 55gr, and lighter bullets the 1/9 barrel twist is superior to my 1/7's. It consistently shoots Federal XM193 ammo 1.5-2MOA which I thought was nearly impossible. I like this Windham Weaponry/(Green Mountain),1/9 barrel better than all my others. And this is in the company of Colt, Spikes, and Palmetto/(FN) cold hammer forged barrels... When I shoot 55 grain ammo 95% of the time it doesn't make sense to go with anything faster than 1/9.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 3:33:50 PM EDT
[#26]
I got a colt and a buddy got a stag at the same time . The colt has deeper stake job on both bolt and Castle nut. Some say that's good ?
The stag is A lot tighter  between upper and lower ( less slop ) both shot fine .

Glad to see this fourm  ( for the most part ) does not look down at stags like the other fourm .
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 3:39:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I got a colt and a buddy got a stag at the same time . The colt has deeper stake job on both bolt and Castle nut. Some say that's good ?
The stag is A lot tighter  between upper and lower ( less slop ) both shot fine .

Glad to see this fourm  ( for the most part ) does not look down at stags like the other fourm .
View Quote

They staked your bolt? That's interesting.....
Kidding, I know what you meant. But yes that is generally good, but even if the lighter stake is efficiently staked, then they would both do what they're supposed to.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 4:21:04 PM EDT
[#28]
My first AR I bought in 2006 was a stag. The amount of rounds through the gun is unknown but let's say it's alot. I have ran the thing dripping wet since day once with mobile 1 and have only had one malfunction and it was a stuck case with cheap wolf ammo. $0.12 back in the day.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 9:35:33 PM EDT
[#29]
One of my ARs is a Stag. It is a good rifle.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 9:53:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

I also think Stag is underrated.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 7:11:07 AM EDT
[#31]
Mines been perfect, not one jam. I only scan this forum every now and then to see if there are any Stag threads.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 8:42:43 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

For the Plus Package barrels, they use 1/7 twist  chrome lined barrels and I believe they  High Pressure test them.

Doest necessarily make the barrels better, per se, but does give the user the option of using "Mil Spec" barrels.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got one of the package barrels for the 3G. It is 18" fluted stainless with a rifle length gas system. They sent a 15" Diamondhead forearm by mistake and forgot to send the proprietary barrel nut that secures the barrel and forearm, but their customer service was very helpful and the parts quickly arrived. I am awaiting a little warmer weather to try it out. It is 13 degrees this morning.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 9:06:23 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Good, solid rifles. I'm never selling mine.
I have been very pleased with my Stag model 2.  Very reliable and accurate.  No failures to do anything.  They are not as "Benz-y" as other brands, but my guns are tools so that matters little to me.

The first company to offer a true left handed AR-15 and supportive of 2A as well as a good warranty.  I have to stretch every dollar five ways, so the price tag was also manageable for me at $725.  I am a deer hunter, so I like the roll mark. Some may not.
View Quote

I sorta have a Model 2. I lived in CT before college and I bought my first ar15 from a ma n' pa shop. It was a stag model 2. So being CT legal I did not have the bayonet lug, a collapsing stock, and the muzzle break was pinned and welded. A family member of mine still lives in CT and when this most recent ban and registration went through. They realized they needed to get their first AR15 ASAP. A high school teacher of his sold him a complete lower made by stag that was CT legal. I handed my model 2 upper over to complete the rifle.

I couldn't stand the CT legal stock that comes with most restricted ar's so I swapped mine with an Ace Skeltonized stock, put on a MOE Grip and MOE Handgard. I put a lot of garbage ammo through this rifle and no issues. Kinda funny that it returned to CT.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 10:41:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree.  It has been my go to AR company for years now.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 11:48:01 PM EDT
[#35]
I have two Stag model 2s, although they've been chopped down to 14.7", and run ALG QMS triggers.

They've never given me any issues, but my BCM 11.5" factory built uppers have.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 12:13:21 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

The first company to offer a true left handed AR-15
View Quote

Wrong.

DPMS had one out before Stag Arms even existed.

That being said, Stag is GTG.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top