User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 5:36:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I can't belige someone made the comparison to vietnam  50 years ago people. To compare any modern ar is silly especially when running modern ammo.

Neither of my AK pistols has chrome lined barrels.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 5:57:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I can't belige someone made the comparison to vietnam  50 years ago people. To compare any modern ar is silly especially when running modern ammo.

View Quote

Umm....you do realize that your AR has the same interals as "that ar 50 years ago", right???

Or you thinking having rails and a flat top magically turn it into a different firearm?

Yes, the chrome chambers were mandated, and later fully chromed bores, to alleviate malfunctions.  Other non AR designs did not experience these problems, again we are talking about completely different weapons operating systems here.  

You keep bringing up your AK, we are talking about ARs here.  An AR is not an AK, it has much tighter tolerances and a completely different operating system that cycles carbon into the action of the weapon.  

Stoned designed his system as needing to have certain operating elements treated in order to ensure reliability and positive functioning with these tight tolerances and gas system type.  

No one has yet been able to answer the question whether they would feel comfortable with a carrier and gas key that were not chrome lined.  

Oh, and your Ruger SR-556E has a chrome plated piston and a nickel teflon plated operating rod....
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 6:00:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Umm....you do realize that your AR has the same interals as "that ar 50 years ago", right???

Or you thinking having rails and a flat top magically turn it into a different firearm?

Yes, the chrome chambers were mandated, and later fully chromed bores, to alleviate malfunctions.  Other non AR designs did not experience these problems, again we are talking about completely different weapons operating systems here.  

You keep bringing up your AK, we are talking about ARs here.  An AR is not an AK, it has much tighter tolerances and a completely different operating system that cycles carbon into the action of the weapon.  

Stoned designed his system as needing to have certain operating elements treated in order to ensure reliability and positive functioning with these tight tolerances and gas system type.  

No one has yet been able to answer the question whether they would feel comfortable with a carrier and gas key that were not chrome lined.  

Oh, and your Ruger SR-556E has a chrome plated piston and a nickel teflon plated operating rod....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Ruger AR-556 DOES have a chrome lined carrier and gas key.  The barrel is cold hammer forged which is more than enough for 99.9% of shooters
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 6:05:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The Ruger AR-556 DOES have a chrome lined carrier and gas key.  The barrel is cold hammer forged which is more than enough for 99.9% of shooters
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, it does.  And I am asking if you would be ok with it NOT having those parts chrome plated?  By extending your logic of not chroming the barrel because it's "not needed" by most shooters, a typical plinker on the range is likely not going to notice the difference between having a chrome lined carrier and not.  They can cut costs on the rifle even further by not chroming those parts that most shooters wouldn't need.  

Would you be ok with them cutting the chrome there too? Why or why not?  
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 6:16:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually they dont. Just look at the evolution of extractor springs and spring inserts for an example.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 6:17:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yes, it does.  And I am asking if you would be ok with it NOT having those parts chrome plated?  By extending your logic of not chroming the barrel because it's "not needed" by most shooters, a typical plinker on the range is likely not going to notice the difference between having a chrome lined carrier and not.  They can cut costs on the rifle even further by not chroming those parts that most shooters wouldn't need.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A chrome line barrel doesn't have anything to do with function of the rifle, it only means the barrel won't wear out quite as fast if you do mag dump after mag dump
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 6:29:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Actually they dont. Just look at the evolution of extractor springs and spring inserts for an example.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok, so because a tiny spring changed, you think the entire operating system is different?    GTFO

On to a serious question, the chrome lined barrel also entails a chromed chamber which aids in reliability through ease of extraction.  Remember, tight tolerances, shits where it eats.  Chromed chamber is important.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 6:46:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 6:53:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Ok, so because a tiny spring changed, you think the entire operating system is different?    GTFO

On to a serious question, the chrome lined barrel also entails a chromed chamber which aids in reliability through ease of extraction.  Remember, tight tolerances, shits where it eats.  Chromed chamber is important.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So any ohv v8 is the same by that reasoning?? The basic idea is the same but metallurgy, small parts, gas ports, barrel extensions, and tons of other small parts have indeed been upgraded over the years. I don't know what your deal is but I feel like you're arguing for the sake of arguing ie bringing up the gas key again which has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

I also think you got confused in your above quote of me because I don't have a Ruger and I am pretty sure that was the first mention of my AK's.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 8:59:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Scratch the Troy/VTAC Delta rail off the list. The rail would have fit-and looked quite nice on the rifle-had Ruger used a traditional AR front sight base.

What happens is the Troy has an internal flange on the bottom length of handguard that fits into the space between the standard GI sling swivel and the bayonet lug. There is no space on the bottom of the Ruger gas black since they chose to use a machined-in QD swivel socket.

I don't know how the Daniel Defense would work. It might clear the area on the bottom of Ruger's front base just fine. But unless things have changed, the FSB has to be removed to install the DD. If I'm going to pull the front sight base I'd just replace it with a low profile gas block and use a BCM forend.

Looks like the 7" non free float rails might be the only option without making some mods.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 9:26:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Scratch the Troy/VTAC Delta rail off the list. The rail would have fit-and looked quite nice on the rifle-had Ruger used a traditional AR front sight base.

What happens is the Troy has an internal flange on the bottom length of handguard that fits into the space between the standard GI sling swivel and the bayonet lug. There is no space on the bottom of the Ruger gas black since they chose to use a machined-in QD swivel socket.

I don't know how the Daniel Defense would work. It might clear the area on the bottom of Ruger's front base just fine. But unless things have changed, the FSB has to be removed to install the DD. If I'm going to pull the front sight base I'd just replace it with a low profile gas block and use a BCM forend.

Looks like the 7" non free float rails might be the only option without making some mods.

View Quote

They shoulda kept it standard, none of this proprietary bullshit.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 10:06:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

So any ohv v8 is the same by that reasoning?? The basic idea is the same but metallurgy, small parts, gas ports, barrel extensions, and tons of other small parts have indeed been upgraded over the years. I don't know what your deal is but I feel like you're arguing for the sake of arguing ie bringing up the gas key again which has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

I also think you got confused in your above quote of me because I don't have a Ruger and I am pretty sure that was the first mention of my AK's.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That comment was addressing another member who brought up their SR556E.

Now, as to what you said.  There is not much left to say to you since you are incapable of grasping analogies or following trains of thought that deduct in a comparison point.

No sense continuing to debate with a person who thinks that the majority of AR15s on the market have non chrome lined barrels, and that the ARs of today have a completely different operating system than the original.  
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 10:18:34 PM EDT
[#13]
The FSB/QD socket area hitting the inside of the Troy:

Link Posted: 10/15/2014 7:12:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Does anybody know when these AR556's will hit the stores?
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 7:17:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Does anybody know when these AR556's will hit the stores?
View Quote

They're shipping.  You should be able to order one through your local shop.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 12:35:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/tokarev/media/Mobile%20Uploads/PSX_20141014_185902_zps055c05a7.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/tokarev/Mobile%20Uploads/PSX_20141014_185902_zps055c05a7.jpg</a>

View Quote

Can't you trim it from inside for clearance?
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 11:46:31 PM EDT
[#17]
already saw someone at the range with one...  he was having some sort of issue getting it to run.

Chrome lined chamber is the most important reliability upgrade you can do...  I have a nitrided barrel, getting stuck brass cases.   Had to polish the chamber which is something I haven't had to do to an AR for almost 20 years since chrome lined barrels became commonly available.  A real step back...
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 11:51:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
already saw someone at the range with one...  he was having some sort of issue getting it to run.

Chrome lined chamber is the most important reliability upgrade you can do...  I have a nitrided barrel, getting stuck brass cases.   Had to polish the chamber which is something I haven't had to do to an AR for almost 20 years since chrome lined barrels became commonly available.  A real step back...
View Quote

Interesting!  What barrel is it?  The nitride fanboys will be appalled
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 11:53:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

I actually prefer nitrided barrels over CL. Unless you shoot corrosive 5.56....which is 0% of the time in my case, I really don't care if it's not CL.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 1:06:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/tokarev/media/Mobile%20Uploads/PSX_20141014_185902_zps055c05a7.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/tokarev/Mobile%20Uploads/PSX_20141014_185902_zps055c05a7.jpg</a>

I don't want to remove material from inside the handguard since it is aluminum and I'd be cutting right where there's a short section of rail for a bipod, VFG, etc.

A better option is going to be pulling the front sight base and cutting off the section for the QD sling swivel socket.  Plan B is to just replace the Ruger front sight base with a standard GI-type.  This might be the best option because it will give me an option to run a regular riveted sling swivel or GI side sling swivel if I need to.  While I'm at it, I might replace the threaded delta ring and externally threaded barrel nut with GI parts as well.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 2:37:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Entirely too much WTF?? going on with this rifle. I was very intrigued when I started reading this thread but then... Better than a Mini 14 I guess...maybe. I have nothing against Ruger but they appear to be very out of touch with the AR climate (in regards to this rifle at least). With a minimum amount of research into what a good budget entry AR should consist of, they should have came up with something different.

I have one Ruger AR. It's been great and functions flawless. But because of all their funky use proprietary parts and non standard assembly techniques, it's unlikely I'll buy another one. This rifle could have been a great offering and will still sell to those that don't mind paying more for less. Would be more attractive if they charged a hair more and provide something other than another butt ugly 16" carbine. Chrome lined or melonited barrel. FA BCG. Standard FSB. Don't care about the sights one way or another. I'm not against reinventing the wheel if its an improvement or even just normal.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 2:58:38 PM EDT
[#22]
One of the nice things about the AR platform is commonality of parts across the board between manufacturers. Once you begin adding proprietary parts that are essentially solutions looking for a problem you merely complicate a simple system. I for one would not be interested in having to modify a new rifle to utilize what should be a drop-in part.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 4:10:58 PM EDT
[#23]
I had been planning on cutting off the QD sling swivel socket with a Dremel followed by dressing up with a file. There isn't much room to work around the handguard cap. I tried knocking out the taper pins in order to pull the front sight block to make it easier to work on but I can only get one taper pin out. The second pin is stuck fast and I cannot get it to budge for the life of me.

I pulled the barrel this morning and dropped it in the mail to Marvin Pitts. I'm sure he'll be able to pop out the taper pin and mill the QD socket off no problem. I also tossed a GI barrel nut and delta ring in the box so he can replace the proprietary Ruger nut while he has the front sight off.

Hopefully all this will allow me to correctly and easily install the VTAC Delta. I'll be sure to post again when I get the barrel back from Marvin.

Link Posted: 11/2/2014 8:15:41 PM EDT
[#24]
So here's my question:

When will we see STRIPPED lower receivers with the Ruger markings?

I'm a bit of a collector of such things, and I'd rather not have to buy a complete rifle just to get the receiver.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 8:55:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

You just got a poorly done barrel. Either had a rough chamber prior to treatment, or wasn't properly cleaned after. Nitrided steel is slicker than chrome.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 10:21:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Hello all.

AK guy here and AR newb. I have a chance to pick this Ruger AR-556 up for like $480 and am highly considering it. I had a SR-556 for (2) days i got in trade, but sold it before I ever fired it, so I really have no experience with the AR at all. My main questions are, will this new Ruger AR-556 be able to take aftermarket equipment like a Fortis extended handguard without too much modification? Would I be able to remove the front sight so I can put a flip up sight instead on the extended handguard previously mentioned?

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 11:43:31 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Hello all.

AK guy here and AR newb. I have a chance to pick this Ruger AR-556 up for like $480 and am highly considering it. I had a SR-556 for (2) days i got in trade, but sold it before I ever fired it, so I really have no experience with the AR at all. My main questions are, will this new Ruger AR-556 be able to take aftermarket equipment like a Fortis extended handguard without too much modification? Would I be able to remove the front sight so I can put a flip up sight instead on the extended handguard previously mentioned?

Thanks
View Quote

Wow! At $480 you can't afford not to buy it!

As far as putting on a new forend and/or folding front sight, there's nothing you won't have to do to the Ruger that you wouldn't have to do to any AR with a GI-type front sight base. You'll have to pull the front sight base and put on a low profile block. Depending on what you get for a rail, it will probably come with its own barrel nut.

Plan B would be just to shave the factory Ruger front sight to fit under whichever extended rail. But you'll probably have to change out the barrel nut regardless.

Buy it! Shoot it!

Link Posted: 11/7/2014 12:19:47 PM EDT
[#28]
disregard

Link Posted: 11/11/2014 10:53:44 PM EDT
[#29]
New Direct-Impingement R…: http://youtu.be/UTw3-zIwndQ

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top