[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

My last BCM 14.5 mid, purchased in July of this year, was a single shot with weaker 223 and an H buffer. Even with a carbine buffer it wouldn't cycle ten times in a row.

I would have opened the gas port.

On a brand new upper? I sold it.

I'm not going to buy any more barrels "optimized" for 5.56.

I like to be able to shoot any (including cheap) ammo, and the dirtier a gun gets, the more gas it needs.

On a 14.5" barrel, I prefer a carbine gas system (and so does the military).

A smaller gas port will also erode somewhat over time and give better reliability with different ammo, but to me that is negligible.

I'm also not the type who cleans a weapon after each time it is fired, sometimes going 2k rounds or more between cleanings. A dirty gun needs more gas to function reliably.

Also, for you boys saying that adding more weight to the system gives you a softer shooting gun for faster follow up shots, well, that's incorrect.

The lower recoil impulse is a result of spreading the impulse out over time, so your rifle is functioning over a longer period of time each shot.

This translates into a nicer feeling impulse, but longer splits between shots.

There is a reason competition shooters use lower mass parts and tuned gas systems.

Faster splits can be achieved with proper form and a good muzzle device. A sharper (faster) recoil impulse will accomplish this slightly better than the softer "push" of a heavier, slower reciprocating mass. The heavier mass also moves the rifle more when the carrier reaches it's rearward most position in the cycle, and when the carrier returns to battery. This has been proven with shot timers.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 2:41:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I like to be able to shoot any (including cheap) ammo, and the dirtier a gun gets, the more gas it needs.

A smaller gas port will also erode somewhat over time and give better reliability with different ammo, but to me that is negligible.

I'm also not the type who cleans a weapon after each time it is fired, sometimes going 2k rounds or more between cleanings. A dirty gun needs more gas to function reliably.

Also, for you boys saying that adding more weight to the system gives you a softer shooting gun for faster follow up shots, well, that's incorrect.

The lower recoil impulse is a result of spreading the impulse out over time, so your rifle is functioning over a longer period of time each shot.

There is a reason competition shooters use lower mass parts and tuned gas systems.

Faster splits can be achieved with proper form and a good muzzle device. A sharper (faster) recoil impulse will accomplish this slightly better than the softer "push" of a heavier, slower reciprocating mass. The heavier mass also moves the rifle more when the carrier reaches it's rearward most position in the cycle, and when the carrier returns to battery. This has been proven with shot timers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
My last BCM 14.5 mid, purchased in July of this year, was a single shot with weaker 223 and an H buffer. Even with a carbine buffer it wouldn't cycle ten times in a row.

So you're advocating lightweight internals with a generously sized gas port, proper form and a good muzzle devise?  And this formula has been proven with shot timers to produce faster splits?

This is not the way to set up a reliably functioning carbine(bolt unlocking when pressure is to high and cyclic rate to fast), and it sure isn't going to help with transferring the energy(recoil) away from the shooter.

You referenced  competitive shooters, keep in mind that they also shoot ammo that generates significantly less energy than even low powered factory 223. then tune the gas to allow the exact amount to just cycle a rifle length system using the lightest components made and use an aggressive muzzle devise. This is very, very different to what the OP is doing and very different than what you are advocating.  

Link Posted: 10/12/2014 3:32:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Most also know that a 14.5" mid can be every bit as reliable as a 14.5" carbine these days as well - even when dirty and running weaker ammo.

And GMAN, as you also know, there IS a difference when stepping up to stiffer springs and heavier buffers.

I've ran a plethora of rifles that were originally equipped with a standard spring and H buffer. Stepping up to a Sprinco Blue spring and H2 made a noticeable difference. Some people find it hard to believe they're even shooting the same rifle after the spring/buffer swap.

ETA - and competition race guns have no relevance to hard use suppressed and combat type configured rifles.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 6:06:04 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
So you're advocating lightweight internals with a generously sized gas port, proper form and a good muzzle devise?  And this formula has been proven with shot timers to produce faster splits?

This is not the way to set up a reliably functioning carbine(bolt unlocking when pressure is to high and cyclic rate to fast), and it sure isn't going to help with transferring the energy(recoil) away from the shooter.

You referenced  competitive shooters, keep in mind that they also shoot ammo that generates significantly less energy than even low powered factory 223. then tune the gas to allow the exact amount to just cycle a rifle length system using the lightest components made and use an aggressive muzzle devise. This is very, very different to what the OP is doing and very different than what you are advocating.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I never advocated all of those things together. In fact, I never advocated anything, just gave some facts on what I prefer, and what works for faster splits (which are not related).

Lightweight internals don't require a "generally sized gas port." You may notice my use of the word "Also" which implies a different subject. Another poster suggested I open the gas port to work with the M16 BCG and H buffer, I never advocated that.

I personally prefer 14.5" carbines using regular mass BCG and H buffer. I understand I sacrifice some comfort for reliability. I don't use my rifles for timed events much anymore, and I certainly don't think that a tuned gas system will improve my scores because I'm simply not that good.

Competition shooters, who tune their guns to run reliably for the duration of a match with specific ammo, use light weight internals to speed up the recoil impulse, and lessen the pressure needed to function the specific weight of the reciprocating mass of their particular gun.

I often read on this forum (and indeed in this very thread) that a heavier buffer and or stronger recoil spring lessens recoil and allows for faster follow up shots. That is a fallacy. More weight lengthens the duration of the recoil, and also creates a larger impulse at the ends of travel of the moving mass.

If you want a softer feeling recoil impulse, adding weight or resistance is fine. But it can not speed up follow up shots.

Proper form and a good muzzle device can because they have a direct effect on the movement of the rifle. Potential energy in the body works against the rifle's movement, and the gasses expelled in the opposite direction of the movement of the muzzle mitigate muzzle rise. That is physics. Equal and opposite force and all that.

Link Posted: 10/12/2014 6:18:00 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Most also know that a 14.5" mid can be every bit as reliable as a 14.5" carbine these days as well - even when dirty and running weaker ammo.

And GMAN, as you also know, there IS a difference when stepping up to stiffer springs and heavier buffers.

I've ran a plethora of rifles that were originally equipped with a standard spring and H buffer. Stepping up to a Sprinco Blue spring and H2 made a noticeable difference. Some people find it hard to believe they're even shooting the same rifle after the spring/buffer swap.

ETA - and competition race guns have no relevance to hard use suppressed and combat type configured rifles.
View Quote

Using phrases like "most know" is what is called a logical fallacy: http://www.logicalfallacies.info/relevance/bandwagon/

Are you in the combat? That is what I consider "hard use."

Otherwise, we are all just hobbyists. Some of us spend more money on our equipment and ammo, but that doesn't always make it better.

And race guns have led to many technologies that trickle into "combat type configured rifles."

-free float forearms

-offset sights, iron or electronic

-trigger packs

-muzzle brake design

-adjustable gas blocks

-elongated gas systems on shorter barrels

-dual optics

-handstops

-sling design

-low power variable optics

etc.

Just because something is marketed as "tactical" or "hard use" does not mean it doesn't have roots in gamerland.

Link Posted: 10/12/2014 6:45:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Considering the plethora of ex mil who are now civilian trainers that are running the crap out of 14.5" mids even harder than most combat issued 14.5" carbines are being abused certainly does say to at least some that they can be every bit as reliable - and certainly to me.

Especially considering my own experiences. I have used over a dozen 14.5" mids from just DD and BCM alone. They've all been run with Sprinco Blue springs and H2 buffers, and all been fed a heavy diet of weaker PMC Bronze 223. I'm still waiting for a single malfunction.

I highly doubt I just keep getting lucky.

And I often go well over a thousand rounds without any cleaning or disassembly. I'll just add a few drops of FireClean to the bolt and carrier through the ejection port and magwell every several hundred rounds.

I have a 14.5" BCM mid approaching 1500 rounds of just PMC Bronze without a cleaning or disassembly in that time. I've simply added a few drops of FireClean to the BCG twice during that time. Sprinco Blue spring and H2 as well.

I don't know what to tell you, I clearly have significantly different results than you.

And you're now mentioning entirely different things that originated in "gamerland." I wasn't making reference to any of those.

I was making reference to low mass carriers and buffers having no place on hard use suppressed or combat rifles.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 8:04:32 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Considering the plethora of ex mil who are now civilian trainers that are running the crap out of 14.5" mids even harder than most combat issued 14.5" carbines are being abused certainly does say to at least some that they can be every bit as reliable - and certainly to me.http://www.logicalfallacies.info/relevance/appeals/appeal-to-authority/                   Also, combat is not just harsh firing schedules. It's dirty conditions, lack of maintenance, heat, vibration from vehicles, etc. Driving to the range with your rifle in a nice sealed padded case is different than riding in a HMMV with your weapon exposed for a day's patrol.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Considering the plethora of ex mil who are now civilian trainers that are running the crap out of 14.5" mids even harder than most combat issued 14.5" carbines are being abused certainly does say to at least some that they can be every bit as reliable - and certainly to me.http://www.logicalfallacies.info/relevance/appeals/appeal-to-authority/                   Also, combat is not just harsh firing schedules. It's dirty conditions, lack of maintenance, heat, vibration from vehicles, etc. Driving to the range with your rifle in a nice sealed padded case is different than riding in a HMMV with your weapon exposed for a day's patrol.

Especially considering my own experiences. I have used over a dozen 14.5" mids from just DD and BCM alone. They've all been run with Sprinco Blue springs and H2 buffers, and all been fed a heavy diet of weaker PMC Bronze 223. I'm still waiting for a single malfunction.

I highly doubt I just keep getting lucky.

And I often go well over a thousand rounds without any cleaning or disassembly. I'll just add a few drops of FireClean to the bolt and carrier through the ejection port and magwell every several hundred rounds.

I have a 14.5" BCM mid approaching 1500 rounds of just PMC Bronze without a cleaning or disassembly in that time. I've simply added a few drops of FireClean to the BCG twice during that time. Sprinco Blue spring and H2 as well.

I don't know what to tell you, I clearly have significantly different results than you.

And you're now mentioning entirely different things that originated in "gamerland." I wasn't making reference to any of those.

I was making reference to low mass carriers and buffers having no place on hard use suppressed or combat rifles. This is exactly what you said:

"ETA - and competition race guns have no relevance to hard use suppressed and combat type configured rifles."

Maybe you should say what you mean, because I replied based on what you had said.

Furthermore, a smaller gas port with a heavier mass is LESS RELIABLE, inherently. There is no way around the physics.

Less energy requiring more force will fail before more energy requiring less force, applied to the same task.

Can a 14.5 mid with heavier mass be reliable? Sure. Is it less reliable than a 14.5 carbine with a lighter mass to move, all else being equal? YES. This is not refutable. It is simply physics.

It might mean that the mid with heavier mass will have a stoppage at 4800rds, and the 14.5 carbine will have a stoppage at 5000rds. The difference may be negligible but it exists.

And when I purchase a brand new barrel or upper, I want it to shoot Wolf, XM193, PMC, Tula, mk262, Speer Gold Dot, and whatever I else have on hand. I don't want to have to only rely on certain types of ammo for my rifle to function.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 8:22:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Combat conditions and environments are very easily recreated. The elements that these trainers I referenced subject their rifles to are harsh. Easily as harsh or harsher than combat.

They are jumping in and out of vehicles, crawling through sand and mud, shooting underneath vehicles, in dusty envronments, wet environments, etc, etc, etc.

I will repeat, a lot of these trainers are running their 14.5" mids harder and purposely subjecting them to even harsher environments than the majority of combat issued rifles are seeing.

You solely mentioned low mass carriers and light buffers prior to my initial response, so as said, those are what I was referring to that don't belong on combat rifles.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 8:37:10 PM EDT
[#9]
AZoutdoorsman.  I agree with you on the physics.  However, what is TRUE in physics sometimes doesn't always FEEL right.  And sometimes it does.   And I'm with AR Ryan in that sometimes a heavier spring will make it FEEL like less recoil.  Whether or not it is or isn't true in terms of physics, I have no clue.  

I don't know how I did this but one time I accidentally had a stock rifle spring in my carbine buttstock.  With a middy upper.  I swear that was the softest FEELING set up I ever shot and the muzzle would just stay put.  I did try to use good muzzle discipline and some strength, but I didn't feel like I had to do much to achieve that.  I remedied that issue because I also agree with you that you want that thing to run at all times, as best you can.  IN the cold, with weak ammo, etc etc.  But just because physics says that lower weight springs and buffers will give it less recoil doesn't necessarily always translate.

I had a 16" LW carbine and with a 6 pos carbine stock and stock buffer and spring and that thing jumped up.  I also put a fixed stock on it once too and it jumped pretty good.  I'm not sure I could tell the difference.  Very likely the fixed stock actually made the recoil more, but any way you slice it, that thing jumped.  

Weight of the firearm itself also comes into play.  With the current trend of LW everything, which I think is good, they probably have more felt recoil, less front heavy and the muzzle will rise more.  And if spring and buffer help tame that, why fight it?  

To me the softer shooting AR's have heavier buffers.  In my experience.  Which is what Ryan is saying.  So I'm not sure if you're arguing because of experience, or just that you want people to understand that in theory it SHOULDN'T be that way.  LOL.  Also, IMHO, I think for the most part a carbine is always going to have a stiffer impulse than a mid or rifle, all other things being equal.  Like weight.  Wasn't it all documented that a carbine is harder on a bolt than a rifle and that was an issue that was addressed in military rifles?  Or maybe it was just because the M4A1's were full auto.  I don't know.  But I thought that's why you had extra beefy extractors or o rings and such.  And putting a heavier buffer in slows down the bolt and helps reduce bolt bounce when closing.  Therefore softening up the  whole process.  

Having said all that, I think a 1911 with a 16h# spring has less felt recoil than an 18.5#.  In my experience.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 9:00:04 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

AZoutdoorsman.  I agree with you on the physics.  However, what is TRUE in physics sometimes doesn't always FEEL right.  And sometimes it does.   And I'm with AR Ryan in that sometimes a heavier spring will make it FEEL like less recoil.  Whether or not it is or isn't true in terms of physics, I have no clue.  

I don't know how I did this but one time I accidentally had a stock rifle spring in my carbine buttstock.  With a middy upper.  I swear that was the softest FEELING set up I ever shot and the muzzle would just stay put.  I did try to use good muzzle discipline and some strength, but I didn't feel like I had to do much to achieve that.  I remedied that issue because I also agree with you that you want that thing to run at all times, as best you can.  IN the cold, with weak ammo, etc etc.  But just because physics says that lower weight springs and buffers will give it less recoil doesn't necessarily always translate.

I had a 16" LW carbine and with a 6 pos carbine stock and stock buffer and spring and that thing jumped up.  I also put a fixed stock on it once too and it jumped pretty good.  I'm not sure I could tell the difference.  Very likely the fixed stock actually made the recoil more, but any way you slice it, that thing jumped.  

Weight of the firearm itself also comes into play.  With the current trend of LW everything, which I think is good, they probably have more felt recoil, less front heavy and the muzzle will rise more.  And if spring and buffer help tame that, why fight it?  

To me the softer shooting AR's have heavier buffers.  In my experience.  Which is what Ryan is saying.  So I'm not sure if you're arguing because of experience, or just that you want people to understand that in theory it SHOULDN'T be that way.  LOL.  Also, IMHO, I think for the most part a carbine is always going to have a stiffer impulse than a mid or rifle, all other things being equal.  Like weight.  Wasn't it all documented that a carbine is harder on a bolt than a rifle and that was an issue that was addressed in military rifles?  Or maybe it was just because the M4A1's were full auto.  I don't know.  But I thought that's why you had extra beefy extractors or o rings and such.  And putting a heavier buffer in slows down the bolt and helps reduce bolt bounce when closing.  Therefore softening up the  whole process.  

Having said all that, I think a 1911 with a 16h# spring has less felt recoil than an 18.5#.  In my experience.  YMMV.
View Quote
When the recoil impulse is spread over a longer time duration it feels softer, I'm not disputing that.

My point is that a smaller gas port with more mass to push is less reliable.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 9:03:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

And my point is that I'm still waiting to run into a single issue with that type of configuration over tens of thousands of rounds.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 11:33:47 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

And my point is that I'm still waiting to run into a single issue with that type of configuration over tens of thousands of rounds.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Cool. You have spreadsheets with round counts for these rifles along with cleaning and maintenance schedules? Ammo receipts?

Link Posted: 10/13/2014 12:02:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
When the recoil impulse is spread over a longer time duration it feels softer, I'm not disputing that.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, but there is a point where it's "good enough".  The carbine system itself as designed was found to be less reliable than a rifle.  As I understand it.  Yet barely nobody wants a rifle any more.  Even guys that shoot for a living.  So...  I know that you could use that argument to bolster your position too.  Meaning if it was already found to be less reliable, using items that seem to make it even less reliable isn't a good thing.  And you might be right.  But again, good enough?  I guess everyone has to be the judge of what that is for them.

I do think there is some wisdom in setting up your rifle to track nicely.  On the other hand, if murphy reared his ugly head in a gunfight and a rifle short stroked or something, people would be wishing they just left it alone.  It would be interesting to know what the guys that USE their guns for real, if they actually use some of these methods.  I have no clue and you might be right.  It's always good to err on the side of reliability.  For sure.  Now I want to argue your point.  LOL.  

I think you did point out though that most of us are hobbyists.  Not all though.  I am.  I do carry a gun for self defense, but it's a pistol and I use that for HD too.  For now.  I'm still not convinced that I'd rather have a carbine for HD.  But I'm starting to lean that way.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 12:32:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Ammo receipts? Why would I keep emails/receipts for ammo that I've ordered/purchased over the years?

And I have no reason for spreadsheets. I'm not anal about cleaning schedules or round counts. All I'm anal about is keeping a rifle well lubed.

On average, I go at least 6 different shooting sessions for each rifle I own without any disassembly or cleaning. At times, I'll even double that number. And in my typical shooting sessions, I put somewhere around 200 rounds through every rifle I have with me.

I do like to put a few drops of FireClean on the BCGs every 500 rounds or so though.

I shoot nearly every week, shoot plenty when I do, and attend multiple courses annually as well. I don't know what you're trying to get at, but I have no reason to push configurations that I have seen to be unreliable.

One area where you and I highly see eye to eye is in regards to having rifles that will flat out go bang when you need them to.

I don't own a single AR that I wouldn't trust to grab in any scenario. Even if it could end up being my one and only rifle.

So with that said, once again, I have no reason to advocate configurations that I have found unreliable.

I've still yet to encounter malfunctions with my 14.5" mids with H2 buffers and weaker PMC Bronze 223. So why would I doubt that configuration?

There are a few things I can acknowledge that could help attribute to my success. First would be that I rarely shoot in temperatures under 40 degrees. I doubt that is much different for you though, as you are also located in my area.

Next, I pretty much just use 3 different types of ammo. PMC Bronze 55 grain 223, PMC XTac 62 grain 556, and Black Hills SMK OTM 77 grain 556.

I will say that what I shoot by far the most of is PMC Bronze though, and it is definitely on the weaker side for bulk brass cased ammo. The stuff flat out just goes bang for me, and it's cheap enough to keep well stocked.

Last, I do make a point to keep my ARs well lubed with FireClean. I see this as two things in my favor. The first plus is obvious, but the second is that I'm a strong believer in FireClean. I swear by the stuff, and even when the BCG appears bone dry, it still does its job.

Those elements could be what continue to work in my favor, but regardless, my 14.5" mids continue to just run and run regardless of high round counts, being dirty, or weaker ammo - and that's all with stiffer springs and heavier buffers.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 1:24:28 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Yeah, but there is a point where it's "good enough".  The carbine system itself as designed was found to be less reliable than a rifle.  As I understand it.  Yet barely nobody wants a rifle any more.  Even guys that shoot for a living.  So...  I know that you could use that argument to bolster your position too.  Meaning if it was already found to be less reliable, using items that seem to make it even less reliable isn't a good thing.  And you might be right.  But again, good enough?  I guess everyone has to be the judge of what that is for them.
I do think there is some wisdom in setting up your rifle to track nicely.  On the other hand, if murphy reared his ugly head in a gunfight and a rifle short stroked or something, people would be wishing they just left it alone.  It would be interesting to know what the guys that USE their guns for real, if they actually use some of these methods.  I have no clue and you might be right.  It's always good to err on the side of reliability.  For sure.  Now I want to argue your point.  LOL.  
I think you did point out though that most of us are hobbyists.  Not all though.  I am.  I do carry a gun for self defense, but it's a pistol and I use that for HD too.  For now.  I'm still not convinced that I'd rather have a carbine for HD.  But I'm starting to lean that way.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Very true about "good enough." I had a BCM mid 14.5 a few years ago, and had some functioning problems.

I thought I would try another one recently. It still had problems.

It fired XM193 just fine (as advertised) but choked on Tula every time, and frequently with some other brass .223 rounds I had in bulk storage (maybe Remington?)

To me that's not good enough!

A 14.5 carbine with H buffer, GI spring, and a Surefire or similar muzzlebrake is good enough for me

But honestly, I prefer a 10.5 carbine over anything else. Same H buffer and spring though.

The nicest firing cycles I have experienced have been out of 20" rifle length gas systems with the Vltor A5 system. I used a rifle like that for a couple of years in competition. It was very mild recoil impulse. But it was long and heavy and really afforded me no functional advantage over a shorter barrel.

BCM makes a big deal about dwell time, and cites that as to why they don't offer a BCM branded 10.5", only an 11.5". But then they offer both a 14.5" mid and 16" mid. Makes no sense to me.

This thread needs some pics anyway, so here we go:

10.5" carbine gas

This upper is total ARFCOM blasphemy. The gas block is not covered OR pinned, the front sight is way back, the Aimpoint is close to the shooter's eye, I'm mixing Larue and ADM QD stuff, using a muzzlebrake on an SBR, TROY products, and my gas key is probably not staked

But the fucker ran with anything and was a pretty flat shooter.

14.5" carbine gas

Pretty sure this one is mostly ARFCOM approved other than the CARBINE gas system on something other than SBR. Oh shit, it's an older gen PMAG though... Damnit, and some KNS pins!

Nice all rounder.

20" rifle gas

WOA ballerina of an upper.

Link Posted: 10/13/2014 8:38:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Disclaimer:  I'm far from an expert.

But, here are a few of my thoughts and experience on this.  The felt or perceived recoil cycle consists of three major elements...the actual recoil from firing the cartridge, the reciprocating mass moving rearward, and the reciprocating mass moving forward.  I believe that typically the perceived recoil change when going to heavier buffers (and maybe action springs too) is due to a lessening of the impact force of the buffer on the rear of the receiver extension.  Since many, if not most, commercial AR's are at least somewhat overgassed to make sure they'll function with a wide array of ammunition these guns tend to feel as if they have 'heavy' or 'harsh' recoil due to that buffer impact force at the end of the second part of the recoil cycle.  With a heavier buffer or spring, some of the excess energy is used up in moving the action rearward so you get less force on that impact.  It doesn't reduce the recoil of the cartridge firing, but it sure does reduce the felt effects of it.

Tune a gun so it barely functions and you get to the point where you can't really feel that impact at all.  If you have an H2 buffer or less, you'll have a soft and flat shooting gun that is easy to keep on target.  More than an H2 and you may start seeing muzzle dip at the end of the recoil cycle as the bolt returns to battery.  Either way though, the perceived recoil is greatly reduced.  The recoil cycle can be smoothed out more with less reciprocating mass and tuning the gas feed accordingly, but I've never even messed with the super light stuff...the lightest I've ever used was a s/a carrier and carbine buffer.  I have no need or desire to take it to the degree that gamers do to win.

I'm a hobbyist shooting for fun mostly, I'm not a competitor, but I do have AR15's for self defense and/or home defense.  I've played around with making these guns shoot as soft as possible, but I don't like having AR's sitting around that I wouldn't depend on.  So I prefer to keep the reciprocating mass up for reliability and I don't really tune the gas down much if at all (the exception being guns that are shot suppressed a lot).  I use an H2 or A5H2 buffer at minimum in all of my AR configurations, in some I use an H3 or A5H3.  Are they the smoothest shooting?  No, but I trade some of the potential benefits there for more reliability.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 10:30:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 12:04:21 PM EDT
[#18]

Please also note that each barrel mentioned in the article uses a carbine length gas system with "milspec" gas port.

Link Posted: 10/13/2014 1:32:05 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Please also note that each barrel mentioned in the article uses a carbine length gas system with "milspec" gas port.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

So what?

Link Posted: 10/13/2014 2:12:50 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

So what?

So this is a little different than a mid length gas system with no standardized port size in a 14.5" barrel, as was being discussed.

Link Posted: 10/13/2014 2:50:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Good article.  

It gets cold in the winter up here, so....  that could have a different set of parameters than you all down in the Southwest.  Although I heard it gets cold in the desert in the winter.  

I've shot in the cold weather before and never really noticed anything.  But I've shot a rifle system more than a carbine.  But I have had carbine gas AR's and have never noticed any issues.  But I've never got that high of a round count before cleaning.  Which I would imagine for most of us would easily be avoidable.  

I do like the point that a heavier buffer helps close the bolt, if it starts getting dirty.  But then the opposite could be true that the heavier buffer will slow it down.  But again it wasn't a significant difference.  

Personally, I have no problem leaning towards the heavier buffers.  A rifle buffer is almost as heavy as a 9mm buffer and I would not hesitate to run a carbine upper on a rifle stock.  But yeah, I suppose that could cause some problems with high round counts.  I don't know.  But I also like how he points out that a heavier buffer seems to be easier on the extraction process.  Which to me would be more critical than if the bolt slows down some.  An extraction jam could be more of an issue to clear than just a bolt getting sluggish.  If it got to the point that you had to cycle each shot manually, at least you'd still have a functioning weapon.  Albeit a lot slower.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 4:42:23 PM EDT
[#22]

This is another point I was trying to get at. Regardless of gas system, I didn't think it was a secret that heavier buffers and stiffer springs tend to increase reliability in dirty guns, and not the other way around.

I'll add that Mike's maintenance tends to be fairly on par with mine.

While I don't shoot that many rounds nearly as quickly, or go out of my way to run my rifles until they malfunction, I pretty much just add a few drops of lube every 500 rounds or so, and run a boresnake through my barrels every other shooting session or so. Cleaning and disassembly comes when I estimate a rifle is somewhere in the 1500-2000 round count since its last cleaning.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 7:28:06 PM EDT
[#23]
My 3-gun rifle is A 16" mid. I do use a sprinco blu spring and H2 buffer in that one. For gun games only.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 7:42:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Ammo receipts? Why would I keep emails/receipts for ammo that I've ordered/purchased over the years?

And I have no reason for spreadsheets. I'm not anal about cleaning schedules or round counts. All I'm anal about is keeping a rifle well lubed.

On average, I go at least 6 different shooting sessions for each rifle I own without any disassembly or cleaning. At times, I'll even double that number. And in my typical shooting sessions, I put somewhere around 200 rounds through every rifle I have with me.

I do like to put a few drops of FireClean on the BCGs every 500 rounds or so though.

I shoot nearly every week, shoot plenty when I do, and attend multiple courses annually as well. I don't know what you're trying to get at, but I have no reason to push configurations that I have seen to be unreliable.

One area where you and I highly see eye to eye is in regards to having rifles that will flat out go bang when you need them to.

I don't own a single AR that I wouldn't trust to grab in any scenario. Even if it could end up being my one and only rifle.

So with that said, once again, I have no reason to advocate configurations that I have found unreliable.

I've still yet to encounter malfunctions with my 14.5" mids with H2 buffers and weaker PMC Bronze 223. So why would I doubt that configuration?

There are a few things I can acknowledge that could help attribute to my success. First would be that I rarely shoot in temperatures under 40 degrees. I doubt that is much different for you though, as you are also located in my area.

Next, I pretty much just use 3 different types of ammo. PMC Bronze 55 grain 223, PMC XTac 62 grain 556, and Black Hills SMK OTM 77 grain 556.

I will say that what I shoot by far the most of is PMC Bronze though, and it is definitely on the weaker side for bulk brass cased ammo. The stuff flat out just goes bang for me, and it's cheap enough to keep well stocked.

Last, I do make a point to keep my ARs well lubed with FireClean. I see this as two things in my favor. The first plus is obvious, but the second is that I'm a strong believer in FireClean. I swear by the stuff, and even when the BCG appears bone dry, it still does its job.

Those elements could be what continue to work in my favor, but regardless, my 14.5" mids continue to just run and run regardless of high round counts, being dirty, or weaker ammo - and that's all with stiffer springs and heavier buffers.
View Quote

What he is getting at is without gun logs the majority of shooters vastly exaggerate round counts. That the more rifles you own the less each one gets used.  Someone tells me he has 20k through a rifle I'm impressed. Someone tells me he has a dozen DD and BCM 14.5" mids and has tens of thousands of rounds through each of them, I'm a skeptic. Unless paid to shoot and given free ammo very few people have the free time and ammo money to put up big numbers with dozens of rifles.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 7:56:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Steven, my collection has been well documented on this site.

And I have owned over a dozen 14.5" DD and BCM mids over the past 3 years. I've sold over half of them to fund SBRs and KAC rifles though.

Regardless, even those 14.5" mids I sold off (and some had low round counts), I still ran them all with Sprinco Blue springs, H2 buffers and PMC Bronze. I have never seen one malfunction with that combination. Not once. Hence my stance on this subject.

I shoot every Friday or Saturday for the most part. I order 2k rounds or so of 223/556 per month on average. I don't know what else to tell you.

And I didn't say I have tens of thousands of rounds through each of my rifles. I said I have tens of thousands of rounds through all my rifles in general. I could safely say easily over 20k rounds of PMC Bronze alone since 2011.

What I will reiterate is that I have zero reason to advocate a configuration that I have found unreliable. I don't purchase reliable rifles, tweak them so that they're no longer reliable, and then toss them in a safe to collect dust.

I have no reason for any rifles that don't always work for me. And all of mine that I currently own and have owned continue to go bang.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 9:56:48 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

My 3-gun rifle is A 16" mid. I do use a sprinco blu spring and H2 buffer in that one. For gun games only.
View Quote

No point in limiting it to guns for gun games, works pretty well in combat guns.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 10:50:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
IME gas port size is more important than location on the barrel.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've played around with different springs and buffers. if a Colt action spring and carbine buffer doesnt work then there is probably something wrong with your upper.  It the milspec spring and carbine buffer work, but you want to slow the action down then switching to an H, H2 or H3 buffer is an easy way to do it.

16" carbine gas sucks and are usually overgassed. I'll run a blue spring and H2 in those.

14.5" Mid can short stroke with .223 ammo. increasing buffer weight or spring weight will make them less reliable with .223.

I wont buy another 16" carbine or 14.5" Mid.
IME gas port size is more important than location on the barrel.

I have always just ran standard springs and CAR buffers and my rifles have ate everything, including tula. Any time I experimented with heavier springs or buffers I began  to have issues and ditched them.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 11:58:57 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

No point in limiting it to guns for gun games, works pretty well in combat guns.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I wasn't aware of 16" mids being issued?

16" has a longer dwell time than 14.5" mid.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 6:20:17 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

14.5" carbines aren't the only guns used for fighting....unless you're paid by the government, then you get what you get.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 2:22:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

recces are known to be mids (some of them), and have been used in combat. AFAIK.  Which is not a lot, but I think KevinB's recce is a mid. And he's BTDT.  So that's at least one guy.  I think.    Contractors have more of a leeway also in what rifles they have and I THINK they have used mid guns.  Over there.  There's also that 18" one the 82nd or some army unit used.  
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 2:59:49 PM EDT
[#31]
The specifications on Compass Lake Engineering's Website for the Recon Barrel is 16" inches with a mid-length gas system. Frank White of CLE played a part in the SPR and Reece Programs supplying the barrels for NSWC—Crane.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top