Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2014 2:19:48 PM EDT
Probably a dumb question, but I want to double check.

Roughly 2.6" YHM QD device on a 13.7 Noveske pinned should be compliant right? I'm Beginning the long process (poor college guy) of suppressing my recce.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 2:47:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Roughly 2.6" YHM QD device on a 13.7 Noveske pinned should be compliant right? I'm Beginning the long process (poor college guy) of suppressing my recce.
View Quote

Nope.

(2.6" - .7") = 1.9" + 13.7 = 15.6"  you need another .5" at least.  Based on .6" to .75" of threading inside the brake.

Hell 13.7 + 2.6 only gives you 16.3".  Then you have to account for the threading.

ETA: Do you have a link to the YHM brake?  Which one is it...I have a 14.5" barrel with a YHM slanted brake which is also 2.6" which brings my AOL to between 16.4 and 16.5" because the threading on my barrel is  a hair over .6".
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 3:11:15 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

View Quote
Unless you already have the suppressor, get something else.

Why not a Griffin brake http://www.griffinarmament.com/product-p/otbmd.htm

@ 4.15 w/ an over the barrel profile, you'll probably get to 16.1 with the shim set.

Keep in mind the 13.7 is cut SPECIFICALLY FOR THE Noveske KX-3. There is no other reason to have that bbl length unless you plan on pinning a KX for compliance.

If you don't already have the barrel...

Why not get a 16.1 RECCE barrel and put any device you like on it? Pinning can affect concentricity in some cases and some mfgs won't cover a baffle strike on a can mounted to a pinned brake.

The 13.7 is a handy rifle, but not a RECCE by anyone's definition. And the 14.5 is a more reasonable length to pin for compliance anyway.

Look around some more at the RECCE thread. You'll see what I mean. And though I am by no means a SME, the basic facts are there.

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 3:32:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the input guys. I rock a 14.5 with a pinned device already, I just thought a 13.7 would be cool. I'm aware of the real deal recce requirements, mine is really unique, and I'm keeping it that way. Going with my second choice then, Wilson 14.7, I already have the 13.8 TRIM so it'll match up nicely.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 4:55:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm doing a 13.7 build right now with a BE Meyers 249f. Not sure if there are any suppressors that will mount on that though...
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 5:28:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd SBR it(if you can in OH), perm. attaching a FH will run you some coin, might as well put those funds towards a stamp = doing it right. then when it's time for a suppressor, you'll have the option of any mount or suppressor.

I perm. attached a suppressor mount many years ago in the hopes of adding a can later, well, later came and so did many new suppressors to the market.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top