BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/20/2014 6:48:10 AM EDT
I'm looking for my first AR or AR's as my wife wants one too. We are looking for a solid gun. I'm not looking for the cadillac but just the best gun for the money. What is everyone's thoughts and why. Thanks for your help in advance.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 7:28:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Colt 6920 is an excellent baseline when comparing the price/features of other AR's. CDNN has one for $899 plus 5 mags: http://www.cdnnsports.com/6920-16-flat-top-rogers-ret.html#.VB1jpOl0wcE
I've also heard good things about the S&W M&P Sport as an entry-level AR for $559: http://grabagun.com/smith-and-wesson-m-p-15-sport-811036-rifle-5-56-nato-16-inch-30rd-black.html
Colt 6720 has a lighter bbl if your wife is weight-sensitive.
HTH...
Tomac
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 7:43:54 AM EDT
[#2]
The smith and wesson m & p sport is an excellent starter AR.   Bravocompanyusa.com has a special going on that when you buy any 16in upper you get a free bolt carrier group and compensator.  So, for like a standard M4 upper it comes to $454 shipped, and you are getting top quality stuff that would other wise cost $700+, and then go can go to your local gun store and get a complete lower for around $300 and a charging handle for $15, and for a total of less than $800, you will have a rifle that will give you years of trouble free shooting.  BCM also has excellent customer service.  If thats to  complicated, the m&p wont dissappoint.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 7:47:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Tomac's cdnn link to the colt is a great buy.  For your first AR, buy complete to learn about the platform.  For your next 3 or 4 AR's,  build your own.  I retract my "build one" post above.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 7:55:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 8:13:30 AM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
just get this

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 8:38:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
just get this

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
just get this

Concur.

You can't go wrong with the Colt.  Current pricing is great.  Get 'em, get some ammo and get to shooting.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 8:44:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm looking for my first AR or AR's as my wife wants one too. We are looking for a solid gun. I'm not looking for the cadillac but just the best gun for the money. What is everyone's thoughts and why. Thanks for your help in advance.
View Quote

The best AR for what kind of money?  Budget is going to have a lot to do with it. You can buy the best AR for your money for around $550. You can also buy the best AR for your money for around $3500. There is a multitude of choices in between. First determining on what you have to spend on an AR, spare magazines, good ammo, eye and ear protection, cleaning supplies, and any other incedentals is essential. This will dictate what your varied choices may be.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 8:49:50 AM EDT
[#8]
I would say a Colt 6920 is the best for the money.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 8:51:03 AM EDT
[#9]
You can't go wrong with a Colt 6920.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 9:54:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Another vote for the Colt 6920

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 10:07:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Colt 6720 for $100 bucks cheaper
View Quote

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/colt-ar-15-5-56nato-16-carbine-pencil-barrel.html

just get this,,, X 2!
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 10:16:23 AM EDT
[#12]
How much money? All of the major manufacturers are making excellent AR's. If you want to be in with the 'in crowd", or are planning to go to war spend the extra money on a Colt. If you are planning to enjoy the hobby/sport or just enjoy shooting buy from DPMS, Del-Ton, Bushmaster, etc. You won't go wrong. You can save enough money to buy a scope, ammo and a few spare parts for the same money. Sure worked for me. I won't bash any brand, but I can tell you it doesn't have to be any specific brand to be happy. It's your money, spend it the way you want and enjoy.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 10:24:22 AM EDT
[#13]
If I had to do it all over again my first one probably be a Colt 6920.  My first AR (didn't know anything about them at the time)  was a Bushmaster M-4 type with a 14.5" barrel (W/ 1.5" FH).  What drew me to the Bushmaster back then was the shorter barrel (thought it looked cool). If I knew then what I know now, I probably wouldn't have bought the Bushy...although not a bad gun I have up graded a lot of parts in it (BCG, Milspec buffer tube/stock..ect.). Since then I have built MANY ARs and I can tell you its hard to just stop at one.  So for the first one I would buy a quality one with the features you want.  Colt 6920 it probably best place to start.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 10:39:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Colt 6920 is an excellent baseline when comparing the price/features of other AR's. CDNN has one for $899 plus 5 mags: http://www.cdnnsports.com/6920-16-flat-top-rogers-ret.html#.VB1jpOl0wcE
I've also heard good things about the S&W M&P Sport as an entry-level AR for $559: http://grabagun.com/smith-and-wesson-m-p-15-sport-811036-rifle-5-56-nato-16-inch-30rd-black.html
Colt 6720 has a lighter bbl if your wife is weight-sensitive.
HTH...
Tomac
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 10:46:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Buy a BCM upper from BCM and a BCM lower from Rainier Arms. Takes several moments to put them together.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 11:03:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Tomac's cdnn link to the colt is a great buy.  For your first AR, buy complete to learn about the platform.  For your next 3 or 4 AR's,  build your own.  I retract my "build one" post above.
View Quote

Solid advice. Buy a quality complete AR, learn it, then build your own from then on to your exact liking. That said, I wished I would have went with a mid-length gas system from the start instead of a carbine. That was my only mistake so far to date with the platform and not a huge one. Carbines are great... I just like them better with 14.5" barrels instead of 16" ones... The Colt referenced is a great gun. Spikes also makes a nice one....
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 11:25:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Concur.

You can't go wrong with the Colt.  Current pricing is great.  Get 'em, get some ammo and get to shooting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
just get this

Concur.

Big plus 1, a steal for the price and top quality and resale value should you ever (foolishly) decide to sell.

ETA: Forgot, welcome to the site!
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 11:47:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
How much money? All of the major manufacturers are making excellent AR's. If you want to be in with the 'in crowd", or are planning to go to war spend the extra money on a Colt. If you are planning to enjoy the hobby/sport or just enjoy shooting buy from DPMS, Del-Ton, Bushmaster, etc. You won't go wrong. You can save enough money to buy a scope, ammo and a few spare parts for the same money. Sure worked for me. I won't bash any brand, but I can tell you it doesn't have to be any specific brand to be happy. It's your money, spend it the way you want and enjoy.
View Quote

^^^^^^
This

If you buy the upper assembly and lower assembly separately and buy wisely, you will save money. You will still have a good rifle. You can get a quality upper assembly for $400 or less. A lower half for $150. Or study up on how to build a couple the way you want.
Most of the brands now are good quality.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 11:52:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Buy a BCM upper from BCM and a BCM lower from Rainier Arms. Takes several moments to put them together.
View Quote

Yep.

Or a Rainer Arms upper, and a Rainier Arms complete lower.

I have been seeing some good prices on the new DD rifles, too.  Too bad all the previous gen rifles seem to be gone.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 12:23:00 PM EDT
[#20]
If you're ok with spending a more then what colts go for Daniel Defense is a good choice
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 12:30:59 PM EDT
[#21]
I would say either Colt 6920 or 6720.
6920 has a M4 style 16" government profile barrel, which is a skinny barrel under the handguard, and almost a medium contour after the Front Sight Base.
6720 has a skinny 16" profile barrel, and it is $100 cheaper.
The barrel profile under the handguard(area closer to the upper receiver) is the area that really matters.
So, when compared to 6720's skinny profile barrel, the 6920's 'heavier profile' towards the muzzle end won't help too much on your accuracy after longer duration of fire.

Although now sold out, you should also consider Spike's Tactical 16" Mid-Length gas system rifle for $799 on AIM Surplus.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:04:29 PM EDT
[#22]
What I do not understand is why most all of you are recommending certain brands (Colt, BCM, Rainier Arms, etc.) when the OP has never said how much he is able to spend on an AR. That is why I posted wanting some clarification from the OP as to what his budget is. It also appears that there is a lot of Colt Kool-Aid drinkers here. Do not get me wrong, I have nothing against a Colt. I own three Colt ARs and some builds with Colt uppers and barrels. There are a lot of good ARs out there these days and Colt is but one of the ARs in the mix. A lot of other manufacturers have stepped up their game, while there has been no significant improvements from Colt. Colt is also very limited in its product line. Frankly, if I was to buy another AR today, I would prefer buying a PSA Premium AR rather than a Colt. I would get more AR for my money. This is why I much prefer building my own ARs the way I want them. I would stack any of them up against a Colt any day.

To the OP, please chime in and be more specific  with what you have set aside for the purchase of am AR and associated items.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:20:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Colt 6920
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:30:21 PM EDT
[#24]
This is the best buy in ARs, unfortunately they're out.  

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F1STR5035MLS

If it were me, I'd wait for this.  Better customer service and warranty.  Midlength gas system.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:31:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
What I do not understand is why most all of you are recommending certain brands (Colt, BCM, Rainier Arms, etc.) when the OP has never said how much he is able to spend on an AR. That is why I posted wanting some clarification from the OP as to what his budget is. It also appears that there is a lot of Colt Kool-Aid drinkers here. Do not get me wrong, I have nothing against a Colt. I own three Colt ARs and some builds with Colt uppers and barrels. There are a lot of good ARs out there these days and Colt is but one of the ARs in the mix. A lot of other manufacturers have stepped up their game, while there has been no significant improvements from Colt. Colt is also very limited in its product line. Frankly, if I was to buy another AR today, I would prefer buying a PSA Premium AR rather than a Colt. I would get more AR for my money. This is why I much prefer building my own ARs the way I want them. I would stack any of them up against a Colt any day.

To the OP, please chime in and be more specific  with what you have set aside for the purchase of am AR and associated items.
View Quote

I like PSA just fine. I have a 14.7" CHF barrel from them that is the best of the bunch of my stable including Spikes and BCM's. That said, I've had problems with PSA's FSB's being drilled so far out of spec on the first 14.7" barrel assembly that it couldn't be zero'd. And just this week I put a complete PSA carbine together as a gift for my father. This FSB, while not terrible, was noticeably canted to the left looking from the receiver down the barrel. I had to disassemble it, make a slight notch in the upper receiver's index pin notch to the right, and reassemble it to make it true. The barrel extension lines up perfectly with the M4 receiver cuts and now the bolt carrier moves like butter over the gas tube now. Whereas before it was binding due to the FSB cant. This makes 2 out of 3 barrel assemblies/complete uppers I've had to do this to. I'm betting the OP doesn't yet possess the tools or know how to do this kind of alteration yet. Thus, the reason why most here are recommending Rainier, BCM, and Colt, etc... That said, PSA if fully capable of making a near perfect rifle and I do enjoy their "Premium CHF" barrels very much. But PSA is also hit or miss. YMMV.

I wholeheartedly agree with you comment that: "This is why I much prefer building my own AR's the way I want them. I would stack any of them up against a Colt any day." As I would/can too and I love Colt...
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:37:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
This is the best buy in ARs, unfortunately they're out.  

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F1STR5035MLS

If it were me, I'd wait for this.  Better customer service and warranty.  Midlength gas system.
View Quote

I absolutely agree MedicFrost. Spikes knows the customer is paramount and they will make anything right the fastest way in least inconvenience way possible to the consumer. So will Smith & Wesson and Springfield in my experience. All (3) are tops from my dealings... OP, this would be and was my first choice except mine was a carbine. I like Middies better though.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 2:22:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Colt 6920 MOE (Magpul furniture)
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 3:15:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 3:27:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Alot of posting about what the "best" constitutes.  What spending range and the like. One thing I have learned over 20 years is that the most expensive is not always the best option.  Another this is that once you actually delve into quality products and you have done your homework,  at about the $1.2k mark on  AR rifles... ROI drops off very steeply. Tacticool accessories not included... thats subject deserves a thread unto itself.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 3:58:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Buying known parts and putting one together would be what I would do knowing what I do now. No special vodoo or skills involved in putting together a lower/parts kit. Upper under $100 worth of tools and you have tools for future builds. And you learn early on how things work and function together. Do not under estimate the PSA CHF uppers that have the FN double chrome lining. So far I know of 6 of these uppers that myself and friends have had great luck with. On a SPR the White Oak, Lothar,Wilson, Les Baer barrels are awesome. I have not put cheaper/budget barrels to any long range test/shooting so I cannot say they are not as good.

Buying a name brand rifle now days you can do research and find good and bad. Colt was a premium years ago, but with BCM, CMMG, LaRue,Stag,Rainer,DPMS,Spikes,PSA,etc they all are good rifles. We are on AR15.com so we here are all AR snoobs. Anything not Tier 1 is junk.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 6:11:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Buying known parts and putting one together would be what I would do knowing what I do now. No special vodoo or skills involved in putting together a lower/parts kit. Upper under $100 worth of tools and you have tools for future builds. And you learn early on how things work and function together. Do not under estimate the PSA CHF uppers that have the FN double chrome lining. So far I know of 6 of these uppers that myself and friends have had great luck with. On a SPR the White Oak, Lothar,Wilson, Les Baer barrels are awesome. I have not put cheaper/budget barrels to any long range test/shooting so I cannot say they are not as good.

Buying a name brand rifle now days you can do research and find good and bad. Colt was a premium years ago, but with BCM, CMMG, LaRue,Stag,Rainer,DPMS,Spikes,PSA,etc they all are good rifles. We are on AR15.com so we here are all AR snoobs. Anything not Tier 1 is junk.
View Quote

I think you meant Junque. Remember where  you are!.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 6:39:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Without knowing a budget, and what else you plan to add to the weapon platform, there really is no honest way to make a guess at the point.  A budget of $1000-1500 to outfit 2 AR15s is much different than a budget of $3000-4000.  One budget gets you the "best" of the cheap guns, one gets you solid weapons outfitted with lights and optics, and with ammunition.  
View Quote

Thank you Stickman. This is exactly what I was eluding to in my earlier comment. There is no way to make a recommendation until some things are spelled out. Until the OP does that, I will refrain for any recommendations.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 6:49:47 PM EDT
[#33]
spikes midlength upper

Midwest Industries Lower

There ya go bud. You will not be disappointed.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 7:26:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Owned both 6920 and 6720. 6720 is gone as the 6920 balanced much better. Still own 6920.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 7:35:39 PM EDT
[#35]
New  Colt MOE le6920 shoots nice but sloppy upper to lower. ( pisses  me off ) rest of rifle seems well made . Good staking
Good finish . And they have good resale.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 8:21:16 PM EDT
[#36]
My two favorites are BCM and DD.  I have experience with lots of stuff from BCM, never a disappointment.  Also really want to see some DD in person.. but from what I've read and seen they're Good To Go as well.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 8:33:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Just picked up a 6940 at wally world for $997
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 9:52:17 PM EDT
[#38]
best for the money is your own build.....truly
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 10:42:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

BCM with either the 13 or 10 KMR (depending upon her reach) 14.5 ELW barrel get a Geissele trigger and one of their new Gunfighter stocks ...check out the Magpul Slim Line MOE grips. Add a Micro Aimpoint in a good mount.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 11:17:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Congrats! You do know of course you could have gotten a DPMS, a good scope, a repair kit and a few hundred rounds of ammo for less.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 11:29:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Best AR or Best AR for the money?

The answer to both is the KAC SR15.

Buy your last AR first.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 11:57:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Buy your last AR first.  
View Quote

+1
My gun collecting hobby began about 8yrs ago and 3 times during those 8yrs that I began to collect AR but stopped and sold all of them b/c I didn't start with the 'right' one that kept me interested in the platform.
First beginning gun was MP15X, Second beginning gun was Colt 6920, then my Third time charm began with a KAC SR15 Mod1, which I got this summer and already bought a second 1 week after the first rifle.
I did a lot of homework on each purchase and the previous 2 rifles are wonderful guns but they simply don't have the same kind of charm that kept me interested in the platform for some reason....thinking back, I guess the carbine length and fixed FSB was the problem

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 12:02:13 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Congrats! You do know of course you could have gotten a DPMS, a good scope, a repair kit and a few hundred rounds of ammo for less.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Already have all that, Oracle and a Sig M4, surely not saying it's, the colt,  the best,but pretty good,love 'em all
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 1:54:42 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not if you want back what you have in it.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:03:02 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This guy is exactly right. You can get a lot of knowledge and pride by building your own and generally get parts on sale to make the complete rifle cheaper than buying a standard and upgrading all the parts anyway, but it's not like there will EVER be another craze for ARs where you could sell your rifle (for whatever crazy reason) for double the price... Right?  
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 7:59:15 AM EDT
[#46]
For the money? Local dealer, Top Gun Supply, has Bushmaster ORC for 549.00 with 50.00 rebate from bushmaster. That's a lot of rifle for the money.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 8:11:23 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure you can but who builds or buys with intent to sell?  Also, u r not taking a bath on any rifle u own so not sure what u r talking about really
Build your own is always cheaper and u get great reliability and customization
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:44:29 AM EDT
[#48]
Best AR...

I'll take a SR-15.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:46:11 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Sure you can but who builds or buys with intent to sell?  Also, u r not taking a bath on any rifle u own so not sure what u r talking about really
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree. I don't buy or build guns to sell them. I build my rifles the way that I want them. If my life and financial situation go off the tracks bad enough that I have to sell my rifles then I should have planned better, but I will take the loss and move on.

That said if this is the OP's first AR I would get the 6720 from PSA more than likely. After you add an optic, light and sling it feels perfect. Shoot it as is, learn the platform and then decide what you would like to try next.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:49:33 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Buy your last AR first.  
View Quote

I agree although my brand choice would be different than yours but to your point. You always get what you pay for.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top