BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/1/2014 5:17:36 PM EDT
I just took a carbine course this weekend and was instructed to use the charging handle to chamber a round when the bolt is locked back on an empty mag.  The thought process is that the full power of the buffer spring is utilized when the charging handle is used.  Also, when the gun fires, the next round is chambered with %100 of the force of the buffer spring.  When hitting the bolt release, only %90 percent of the force is used.  

It took me some time to forget about the bolt release, but after a few reps I got used to it.  I feel that the charging handle method is justified and it takes pretty much the same amount of time to rack the CH instead of pushing/slapping the bolt release.

What method do you use?  Please don't mention bad levers/bolt release devices.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 5:23:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Why not mention BAD levers? That's what I use primarily.  Don't have to move either hand out of position.

Agree with the 100% of buffer spring power idea, though.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 5:33:18 PM EDT
[#2]
When I first got my glock, I was reading around to never use the bolt release on it since it wears down the polymer over time. Since that point, I never use the bolt release on any handgun I own. I simply grip the slide and release. I found this to be quicker.

On my ar15, I once watched this Marine range video. In it, I noticed a Marine instead of hitting the bolt release, instead used the charging handle. What he did was when the bolt locked back, he pulled back the charging handle so that it's kind of resting then putting a new bolt in, he bump it and it went forward. After watching the video I went out to get a Raptor handle and the BCM ambi handles just so I have a larger space to grab. I now do that all the time.

On my m1a though, I HATED the fact that it didn't have a bolt release on it. So I went to get one of those oversized bolt release but problem is...... I never use it. On my ar15, I got one of them huge wilson extended bolt releases on it, and.... I never use it. I just like the look of it.

The way I see it, a bolt release is like the forward assist. You use it only in an emergency but otherwise save yourself the possibility of it breaking during normal usage. So long as you have positive engagement of the charging handle, it should never wear out. However, a bolt release can wear out since when you "hit it" what you're doing is rubbing metal on the bolt face so the bolt is trying to move forward, the bolt stop is stopping it, but now you're rubbing it back into place. By moving the bolt back, you're basically allowing the bolt release to fall down naturally and without rubbing the bolt.

For the record, I did get a Magpul BAD lever. After doing some drills, I notice the bolt release had what appeared to be a crack in it. That's when I stumbled on the mentioned video and went to get the wilson extended bolt release instead. Never touched that magpul. To be honest, it took me a very long time to get used to it being gone. Ever bolt back or release, I flip my finger and have to remind myself it's gone.

Edit: Mag =/= Bolt.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 5:35:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When I first got my glock, I was reading around to never use the mag release on it since it wears down the polymer over time. Since that point, I never use the mag release on any handgun I own. I simply grip the slide and release. I found this to be quicker.

On my ar15, I once watched this Marine range video. In it, I noticed a Marine instead of hitting the mag release, instead used the charging handle. What he did was when the mag locked back, he pulled back the charging handle so that it's kind of resting then putting a new mag in, he bump it and it went forward. After watching the video I went out to get a Raptor handle and the BCM ambi handles just so I have a larger space to grab. I now do that all the time.

On my m1a though, I HATED the fact that it didn't have a mag release on it. So I went to get one of those oversized mag release but problem is...... I never use it. On my ar15, I got one of them huge wilson extended mag releases on it, and.... I never use it. I just like the look of it.

The way I see it, a mag release is like the forward assist. You use it only in an emergency but otherwise save yourself the possibility of it breaking during normal usage. So long as you have positive engagement of the charging handle, it should never wear out. However, a mag release can wear out since when you "hit it" what you're doing is rubbing metal on the bolt face. By moving the bolt back, you allow the mag release to fall down naturally without rubbing anything.
View Quote

Not the mag release
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 5:37:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Not the mag release
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
When I first got my glock, I was reading around to never use the mag release on it since it wears down the polymer over time. Since that point, I never use the mag release on any handgun I own. I simply grip the slide and release. I found this to be quicker.

On my ar15, I once watched this Marine range video. In it, I noticed a Marine instead of hitting the mag release, instead used the charging handle. What he did was when the mag locked back, he pulled back the charging handle so that it's kind of resting then putting a new mag in, he bump it and it went forward. After watching the video I went out to get a Raptor handle and the BCM ambi handles just so I have a larger space to grab. I now do that all the time.

On my m1a though, I HATED the fact that it didn't have a mag release on it. So I went to get one of those oversized mag release but problem is...... I never use it. On my ar15, I got one of them huge wilson extended mag releases on it, and.... I never use it. I just like the look of it.

The way I see it, a mag release is like the forward assist. You use it only in an emergency but otherwise save yourself the possibility of it breaking during normal usage. So long as you have positive engagement of the charging handle, it should never wear out. However, a mag release can wear out since when you "hit it" what you're doing is rubbing metal on the bolt face. By moving the bolt back, you allow the mag release to fall down naturally without rubbing anything.

Not the mag release

Haha, sorry, corrected. I type and re-correct many times.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 5:39:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I always us the bolt/slide release. I understand the points made in favor of the alternative so maybe next time I hit the range I will make an effort to try it the other way. Old habits are definitely hard to break though.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 6:20:12 PM EDT
[#6]
The bolt release, because for 1 thing that's what its for- to release the bolt. If it doesn't work, there's a problem which should be identified and corrected. Also much easier & faster- this can be done without taking the buttplate off the shoulder, and can be done even with something in your hand- gross motor skill vs fine motor skill.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 6:23:18 PM EDT
[#7]
The fastest possible way to reload your gun is the tactical reload.  This completely negates any need to hit the paddle or pull the CH.  

Otherwise in the confusion of battle, use the bolt release to reload if you lock back empty, having been too stressed to put in a fresh mag before you locked back empty.  Training should reflect how you will use the gun in an actual engagement. Racking the CH instead of hitting the paddle or BAD lever also could require coming out of your sight picture so you don't hit yourself in the face with the CH.  

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 6:33:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Use the system that uses the least amount of fine motor control. When under stress you'll have less fuck ups.

Smacking the release is easier then the charging handle in this way.

Same reason racking a pistol is used over the release.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 6:35:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Release. IMO the drag of the CH negates any advantage from the additional spring compression.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 6:42:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Bolt release
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 6:46:00 PM EDT
[#11]
I use the bolt release.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 6:46:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Why not mention BAD levers? That's what I use primarily.  Don't have to move either hand out of position.

View Quote

BAD lever is still using the bolt release. OP- I use the bolt release. Only time I really use the CH is when im charging a round from a closed bolt or to fix a malfunction
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 6:51:35 PM EDT
[#13]

This sounds like another solution to a non-existent problem invented by somebody trying to differentiate his "tacticooly awesome HSLD operator class where we learn to contort ourselves into all kinds of retarded poses" from everybody else's.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 7:07:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Bolt release. Never had a problem without using the full potential of the buffer springs force. Guess I'm just lucky!
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 7:11:16 PM EDT
[#15]
I typically use the paddle of the bolt catch - one "WHACK!" and my hand is forward and on the handguard MUCH faster than if I'd had it on the charging handle.

As for Glock slide catches, their catch rides in a metal section of the frame and you really can't "wear down the polymer" by using it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 7:12:32 PM EDT
[#16]
IBTP

ETA: Bolt Catch
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 7:14:15 PM EDT
[#17]
I use the bolt release when the bolt locks back after running dry, any other time I use the CH.

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 7:20:04 PM EDT
[#18]
I generally use the charging handle once...at the start of a shooting session.  After that, a fresh mag is inserted and the bolt release is used.
If you think about it, the answer is apparent.  Think speed and simplicity.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 7:41:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I just took a carbine course this weekend and was instructed to use the charging handle to chamber a round when the bolt is locked back on an empty mag.  The thought process is that the full power of the buffer spring is utilized when the charging handle is used.  Also, when the gun fires, the next round is chambered with %100 of the force of the buffer spring.  When hitting the bolt release, only %90 percent of the force is used.  

It took me some time to forget about the bolt release, but after a few reps I got used to it.  I feel that the charging handle method is justified and it takes pretty much the same amount of time to rack the CH instead of pushing/slapping the bolt release.

View Quote

Hmmmmm.  When the bolt is locked back on an empty mag (your quote) there is no way you are going to get the bolt forward without using the bolt release unless the empty mag is removed.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 7:44:51 PM EDT
[#20]
::shrug::

I understand the logic behind using the charging handle and why some believe it to be a good idea - but in a practical sense - might I propose a classic ARFCOM answer applied unusually:

Use both.

I mean, I've done the cool, high speed, reload on the move Gun Kata choreography reload before, but first of all, I agree with the above poster who pointed out that generally speaking, if you're reloading from bolt lock "you did it wrong," but at the same time I understand - things don't always go as planned, and you're not always going to have executed a perfect tactical reload while behind cover and come up guns blazing - however - in my experience, which is limited compared to some - when I do find myself reloading from bolt lock, a very large portion of the time, it ends up being from the most ridiculously uncomfortable and unbelievably awkward position imaginable, whether it's proned out trying to "become one with the ground" in zen fashion, or scrunched behind what feels like in the moment the absolute smallest ditch, rock, dirt mound, wall, HMMWV engine block, etc. imaginable.  

In those weird, awkward, gymnastic positions, you're not always in charge of where all your parts and pieces end up when you land - sometimes it's easier to reach the charging handle - sometimes it's easier to reach the bolt release.  

What you don't want to end up happening is that you either freeze because your "reload method of choice" is suddenly inaccessible to you and your brain needs to dredge up extra brain cells to figure out what to do - or, you're so used to doing it only one way that you ignore the bolt release that's "right fucking there" and do some sort of wild gymnastics so you can yank the charging handle costing you seconds, not to mention economy of movement, and possibly even flailing an arm or other body part out further in the open than it needs to be - this can go vice versa as well, of course.  

Meanwhile - if you're in the "RTFN" mode - why not do it the fastest way possible - or better yet - if you really need to get back shooting that fast and have no choice to remain exposed - make that split second decision whether or not it's time for that side arm you've been lugging around to come into play.  

Just my two cents.  

I get the whole "do the routine things routinely" and the benefits of simplifying processes and building skills and muscle memory to perfection, but there's also something to be said about being able to read the situation and act accordingly - the real "skill" here is knowing when to do which.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 8:06:08 PM EDT
[#21]
I have used the bolt release for my 31 years of shooting ARs.  This old dog is not changing.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 8:06:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Augee for the win!
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 8:11:20 PM EDT
[#23]
In ca we don’t have all these Quick Draw MacRaw issues …. as we’re fumbling with the bullet button we take one in the ear
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 8:18:14 PM EDT
[#24]
I am no longer into the "tactical" type shooting any longer. However, when I was, I used the bolt release.

Today I frequently shoot from positions using a sling. I enjoy trying to shoot good groups on paper using my skills instead of some kind of rest. Anyway......when I am slung up, my weak side arm and hand are out of the equation. Since I am right handed, I have two options for releasing the bolt. I can reach over top of the rifle to trip the bolt release, or I can run the charging handle with my trigger side hand. So, recently I starting running the charging handle.

Point is that you can do both depending on the situation.

FWIW: I never use the slide release on a pistol. Never.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 8:38:27 PM EDT
[#25]
I use the bolt/slide release.  I have been yelled at by people with different training philosophy but it is just too easy, fast and ingrained for me to want to change it.

The most common objection I hear in favor of using the CH/racking the slide is fine motor skills vs. Gross motor skills under stress argument.  But know one has yet to explain to me why we can't hit the slide release effectively under stress but we can hit the mag release effectively?
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 8:47:01 PM EDT
[#26]
The military teaches bolt release, so that's how I learned. Occasionally, I will use the charging handle, but most of the time it's the bolt release.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 8:52:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Bolt release. It's easier to use in HP.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:59:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Bolt release FTMFW
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:09:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

This sounds like another solution to a non-existent problem invented by somebody trying to differentiate his "tacticooly awesome HSLD operator class where we learn to contort ourselves into all kinds of retarded poses" from everybody else's.
View Quote

Agree.  Sounds like someone was trying to come up with some logical explanation as to how and why they were able to teach something different in a class.  Pass.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:16:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Bolt Release.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:20:12 PM EDT
[#31]

Skip to about the 6 minute mark.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:36:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

The hand is already out of position by inserting a new mag so using bolt release button is no problem.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:40:18 PM EDT
[#33]
For a lefty, this is one spot where the original design works to our favor. I have "palm a basketball" hands so that bolt release is just an index finger away.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:54:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Bolt release on my M14 operating rod im a righty left hand over the top
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 11:09:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 11:13:03 PM EDT
[#36]
I shoot lefty, but my fingers are not as long as yours.  The paddle is just out of reach,  and as a result I find myself turning the gun over to visually aquire and push the release.  The charging handle results in less movement and less disruption of the sight picture.  However, I do sometimes hit the release with my right forefinger when reloading rapidly.  So for me, the answer is both.  

I wish I could drop both the magazine and the bolt with my shooting hand, so the support hand can go straight from the foreend to new magazine and back without having to grab the middle of the gun to drop the old and again to drop the bolt.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 12:15:13 AM EDT
[#37]
I have a BCM Gunfighter charging handle (large) on my AR and I tend to use that. I practice using both the bolt release and the CH, but when I am running drills or whatnot and have to reload, I always seem to use the charging handle. I guess it's just more natural for me.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 12:57:03 AM EDT
[#38]
Bolt release.  Been doing it for 15 years, hasn't failed me.  No reason to change.  I have been able to manipulate the bolt release blindfolded ever since learning to conduct "Inspection, Arms" and returning to "Port, Arms" as part of D&C in Basic Training.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:25:49 AM EDT
[#39]
I never broke a Glock by dropping the slide using the slide stop lever. Doesn't Glock make a extended slide stop lever for us silly Americans??? Yes, I own a few.

OP: I use the bolt release on my AR-15's. Not only is using the charging handle slower but I have personally experienced problems with riding the charging handle enough to fuck me all up. Using the charging handle would also force me to break my cheek weld. I'm not sure why someone would teach this method. It makes no sense to me.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 5:11:34 AM EDT
[#40]
Bolt release.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 5:12:07 AM EDT
[#41]
Sorry, somehow that posted twice.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 5:13:18 AM EDT
[#42]
Bolt release.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 5:46:51 AM EDT
[#43]
Bolt release
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:19:45 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Agree.  Sounds like someone was trying to come up with some logical explanation as to how and why they were able to teach something different in a class.  Pass.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:24:45 AM EDT
[#45]
Bolt release.

You could argue that the charging handle itself adds weight and friction to the forward motion of the bolt carrier group.  

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:31:53 AM EDT
[#46]
Bolt release with my thumb. I mean the hand or thumb is there anyways, might as well.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:58:56 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

View Quote
this whole thing is

take a swift motion-palm to bolt release, turn it into a fine motor point skill that relies on a ackward position

your "90% and 100" spring force is also laughable

what class was this?

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:02:42 AM EDT
[#48]
I've never heard anyone say to use the charging handle to release the bolt.

Where do people get this nonsense from???  
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:10:33 AM EDT
[#49]
I use the charging handle.  More repetitions for when you need to use it to clear malfunctions.  Isn't the purpose of having all these enlarged charging handles that everyone buys?  

I have been using badger CH for years now.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:27:32 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I use the charging handle.  More repetitions for when you need to use it to clear malfunctions.  Isn't the purpose of having all these enlarged charging handles that everyone buys?  

I have been using badger CH for years now.
View Quote

The standard mil-spec charging handle is fine so long as you use it the way it was designed to be used and do not abuse it by using it to release the bolt.      
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top