BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 21
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 3:05:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Any ammo preference for this kind of setup?
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 6:02:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Any ammo preference for this kind of setup?
View Quote

I personally use Tula for the savings...

In my experience, 5.56 brass ammo will normally result in an elevated rate of fire.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 6:06:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I like reloadable brass.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 7:30:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I am starting a bumpsaw build now after seeing your thread, I have the first important piece, a Barrel, my friend sent me a HBAR colt NM barrel So that parts taken care of, Gonna get a Slidefire from work because i can get them slightly over cost. Have a few extra uppers laying around to barrel it onto, Want to do a unique front handguard and bipod, give it a WW2 look somehow.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 7:51:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Sounds like a plan! I'm looking forward to seeing pics.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 8:16:32 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I am starting a bumpsaw build now after seeing your thread, I have the first important piece, a Barrel, my friend sent me a HBAR colt NM barrel So that parts taken care of, Gonna get a Slidefire from work because i can get them slightly over cost. Have a few extra uppers laying around to barrel it onto, Want to do a unique front handguard and bipod, give it a WW2 look somehow.
View Quote

I can't find the pic of the wooden SBR/PDW that's been making the rounds the past couple months, but it had an old school warhorse look to me.

Link Posted: 2/4/2016 8:49:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I can't find the pic of the wooden SBR/PDW that's been making the rounds the past couple months, but it had an old school warhorse look to me.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've got pic of that gun saved on my computer. I'm thinking some kind of Perforated tube front end/handguard, like a 1919.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 3:05:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Beta makes a .308" C mag for DPMS magwells.  Who knew?
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 3:23:13 AM EDT
[#9]
I voted number four, but I want both!

Link Posted: 2/5/2016 1:51:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I've got pic of that gun saved on my computer. I'm thinking some kind of Perforated tube front end/handguard, like a 1919.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well... Post it up?
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 6:40:05 PM EDT
[#11]
I want to see pics too!

- Clint
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:29:23 PM EDT
[#12]
This is the guy who built it's Instagram.

Instagram
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 2:34:30 PM EDT
[#13]
What do I need to know when building one with a 20" HBAR barrel? I've heard they run slow, you need to delay the locktime so you don't get hammer follow? and weight is the enemy when using a Slidefire stock is this correct?
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 3:11:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Weight can be an issue. You will probably want to avoid using a compensator so you have enough recoil to keep it running.

I would avoid any of the heavy rails as they will add extra un-needed weight since you're using an HBAR.

Lock time can be an issue, so I would stay away from Geissele unless you want to swap the hammer spring to a light weight spring like the JP yellow.

I like to use 7.62x39 firing pins.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 4:25:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Weight can be an issue. You will probably want to avoid using a compensator so you have enough recoil to keep it running.

I would avoid any of the heavy rails as they will add extra un-needed weight since you're using an HBAR.

Lock time can be an issue, so I would stay away from Geissele unless you want to swap the hammer spring to a light weight spring like the JP yellow.

View Quote

What about some kind of recoil increasing booster? Its too bad that they say the one for .22 that Slidefire makes wont work on 5.56.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 5:31:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:  What about some kind of recoil increasing booster? Its too bad that they say the one for .22 that Slidefire makes wont work on 5.56.
View Quote

Maybe a LeVang or similar linear compensator?
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 12:50:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

What about some kind of recoil increasing booster? Its too bad that they say the one for .22 that Slidefire makes wont work on 5.56.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty sure the consensus is that a bare muzzle with no device produces the most recoil.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 1:31:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Pretty sure the consensus is that a bare muzzle with no device produces the most recoil.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well this Bushmaster heavy barrel my buddy gave me isnt threaded at all, so maximum recoil! :P
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 1:45:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Well this Bushmaster heavy barrel my buddy gave me isnt threaded at all, so maximum recoil! :P
View Quote

Nah, got to get it threaded to keep the weight down!  No thread cover, though.

Seriously, get out and shoot it.  Mine works 100% with a pretty heavy 20" and USGI parts, except for the G2S trigger I think (the range is a distant memory this year).  Don't go buying fancy stuff unless you need it.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 2:11:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Seriously, get out and shoot it.  Mine works 100% with a pretty heavy 20" and USGI parts, except for the G2S trigger I think (the range is a distant memory this year).  Don't go buying fancy stuff unless you need it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I want a Fancy handguard that's not from an AR15 to put on it, like the one with the m249 saw handguard.
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 4:20:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Here is my most recent outing. I will say this. I think how hard a trigger breaks has a higher correlation to how many hammer follows it has. I had a very relaxed spring in my gun to start out with and it had no trouble igniting primers. I couldn't get a run of more than 3 rounds out without having hammer follow. I put a stock AR hammer and spring in, and had no issues at all.

Link Posted: 2/29/2016 10:55:17 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Here is my most recent outing. I will say this. I think how hard a trigger breaks has a higher correlation to how many hammer follows it has. I had a very relaxed spring in my gun to start out with and it had no trouble igniting primers. I couldn't get a run of more than 3 rounds out without having hammer follow. I put a stock AR hammer and spring in, and had no issues at all.

http://youtu.be/7VWED4qUPMs

http://youtu.be/iR_7P0kk7ic
View Quote
Both of those runs are stock triggers, just the springs swapped? Tulammo?

Interesting results.  I'm wondering if it's powering through any problems of the carrier being slightly to the rear and igniting the primer anyways.

What buffer did you use?

I've wondered if the short reset triggers may lend themself to dropping the hammer to early.

Now I want to try and open the carrier slightly and try one shot at a time with different triggers to see if some will still ignite them when the carrier is slightly rearward.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 5:25:25 PM EDT
[#23]
The ones you see there are both after I swapped out my RRA 2-stage trigger to my stock hammer and spring. I think it is a CMMG trigger IIRC.

Sorry for the late reply.

I brought a bunch of hammers thinking I would see how soft I could get it. I went from the one I cut the leg off on, to one that was bent, to one that was stock with the RRA—all of them had decreasing amounts of failures as I added resistance.

I decided to go full-on and put the cheap trigger from a different gun in. The gun had maybe one issue with the disconnector still grabbing. I think my finger was in a bad spot, but otherwise it was flawless. It felt good and didn't make it harder to use. I am a believer for now. I was able to rip off rounds form any position—so long as I had my finger in the right spot.

I have a really hard trigger I may try next time. I am sure that there is a point of diminishing returns going the other way as well.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 5:28:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Were you using both hands on the grip and a thumb on a sling plate to push the rifle forward?
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 7:35:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Were you using both hands on the grip and a thumb on a sling plate to push the rifle forward?
View Quote

Yes sir.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 8:56:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Has anyone searched for (or found) a muzzle compensator ONLY. Not a brake/compensator that would reduce recoil.

I think that a compensator would help with muzzle control.

I've thought about using the AK-74 compensator/brake and removing the front to creat a comp only.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 9:43:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Has anyone searched for (or found) a muzzle compensator ONLY. Not a brake/compensator that would reduce recoil.

I've thought about using the AK-74 compensator/brake and removing the front to creat a comp only.
View Quote

Huh... I thought brakes and comps were the same thing?
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 10:06:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:  Has anyone searched for (or found) a muzzle compensator ONLY. Not a brake/compensator that would reduce recoil.

View Quote

Are you thinking of a linear compensator?  Like a KAK flash can or the Noveske Flaming Pig?  Or the LeVang comp?
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 11:29:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Are you thinking of a linear compensator?  Like a KAK flash can or the Noveske Flaming Pig?  Or the LeVang comp?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Has anyone searched for (or found) a muzzle compensator ONLY. Not a brake/compensator that would reduce recoil.

Linear compensators don't do a whole lot to reduce muzzle climb. There are quite a few muzzle brakes that will control muzzle climb, but unfortunately they also reduce recoil, some by quite a bit.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 11:32:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Mind if I jump in here and ask if anyone is having a problem with their BumpSAWs having muzzle rise in the prone? I know all of mine are fine for elevation; they like to walk laterally though.
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 1:12:17 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Linear compensators don't do a whole lot to reduce muzzle climb. There are quite a few muzzle brakes that will control muzzle climb, but unfortunately they also reduce recoil, some by quite a bit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Screw on KAK flash can, engage Dremel?  You're wanting something to direct gasses up, not to the rear.  Almost all muzzle brakes on the market today are loudeners, which reduce recoil but make young dudes think they are badasses while going deaf.
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 10:47:08 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm taking the liberty to post Alaskacajun's pics in this thread. Talk about awesome!...

Link Posted: 3/19/2016 2:48:13 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I'm taking the liberty to post Alaskacajun's pics in this thread. Talk about awesome!...

http://i65.tinypic.com/jsbtat.jpg
View Quote

- Clint
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 8:24:26 AM EDT
[#34]
I need to load more ammo. I think it's time to start increasing my stockpile before election fears drive prices up. I've got to keep my babies fed
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 2:44:32 AM EDT
[#35]

Got my stock today... so close to done!

- Clint
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 7:36:11 AM EDT
[#36]
The Fostech stock looks great on your setup.
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 6:31:48 PM EDT
[#37]

Got out to the range today... Need to open my gas port and get it running reliably without the suppressor, but it's coming along!

- Clint
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:48:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Limited bursts and cool down time will really save barrel life.  It doesn't matter if it's double chrome lined or melonite - if you start dumping betas through it the barrel will quickly be toast.
View Quote

I know you posted this a year ago, but I am curious as to how hot is too hot to run a barrel.

Is 4 x 30 round PMAG dumps over a 10 minute (dump, get up, chat, review footage, change shooters, repeat x 4) too much?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:55:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I know you posted this a year ago, but I am curious as to how hot is too hot to run a barrel.

Is 4 x 30 round PMAG dumps over a 10 minute (dump, get up, chat, review footage, change shooters, repeat x 4) too much?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Limited bursts and cool down time will really save barrel life.  It doesn't matter if it's double chrome lined or melonite - if you start dumping betas through it the barrel will quickly be toast.

You'll know the answer when the accuracy of that bbl goes to hell.  How heavy the bbl, what is the lining, etc.  Shoot groups before & after each session to gauge erosion.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:02:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

You'll know the answer when the accuracy of that bbl goes to hell.  How heavy the bbl, what is the lining, etc.  Shoot groups before & after each session to gauge erosion.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:  Limited bursts and cool down time will really save barrel life.  It doesn't matter if it's double chrome lined or melonite - if you start dumping betas through it the barrel will quickly be toast.

Lightweight BCM.

From their site :

USGI 1/7 Twist Rates
USGI 5.56 NATO Chambers
Mil-Spec 11595E - Certified Barrel Steel (CMV)
Chrome Lined Bore and Chamber
Manganese Phosphate Barrel Finish
Mil-Spec F-Marked Forged Front Sights
USGI Government Profile Barrels
HPT (High Pressure Test) Barrels
MPI (Magnetic Particle Inspected) Barrels
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:10:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Lightweight BCM.

From their site :

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  You'll know the answer when the accuracy of that bbl goes to hell.  How heavy the bbl, what is the lining, etc.  Shoot groups before & after each session to gauge erosion.

Lightweight BCM.

From their site :

USGI 1/7 Twist Rates
USGI 5.56 NATO Chambers
Mil-Spec 11595E - Certified Barrel Steel (CMV)
Chrome Lined Bore and Chamber
Manganese Phosphate Barrel Finish
Mil-Spec F-Marked Forged Front Sights
USGI Government Profile Barrels
HPT (High Pressure Test) Barrels
MPI (Magnetic Particle Inspected) Barrels

The chrome lining will help - the lightweight will hurt.  Might consider those JP heat sinks - additional mass, and additional surfaces to radiate heat.  But you could destroy any bbl in a single range session if you wanted to.  Which might make Stag the most popular bump fire rifle in the long run, if under their new ownership they maintain their bbl warranty.

https://www.stagarms.com/warranty-information/
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:25:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Limited bursts and cool down time will really save barrel life.  It doesn't matter if it's double chrome lined or melonite - if you start dumping betas through it the barrel will quickly be toast.

You'd be wanting to make sure the barrel is 4150.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:44:04 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It's not too bad IMO. It's not nearly as bad as back to back 60's or 100's.

If you fire in 6-9rd bursts it will help quite a bit.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:44:42 PM EDT
[#44]
I hadn't seen any mention of the recent trigger comparison here. I figured this would be useful information...

Link to the full article
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:36:41 PM EDT
[#45]
A bumpsaw....it appears

Still deciding on a barrel. Carbine gas system should be fine with an adjustable block right? I want to hide it under the handguard.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:19:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Carbine gas should be great.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 6:08:58 PM EDT
[#47]
sooo shit. The bipod I snagged won't fold under a regular m249 handguard. it's for the railed handguard. son of a biscuit.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 7:52:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Picture thread needs pictures, no?

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:18:49 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/ijXevFx.jpg
View Quote
That looks pretty sweet!

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 3:53:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
That looks pretty sweet!  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/ijXevFx.jpg
That looks pretty sweet!  

Might as well add video (with glowing gas tube of death!).

Page / 21
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top