Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2014 3:30:36 AM EDT
I'm about to pull the trigger on a new Colt 6721. It's the HBAR version, one of the few still legal to purchase in my state.
I've shot one of these, albeit a well-used one about 10 years old, I think, and I liked it. I even liked the heavier barrel.

I'm mostly a target shooter.

Any reasons why I shouldn't buy this particular rifle? Any comprehensive published or video'd reviews available?
Any ammo recommendations?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 3:47:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Its a Colt, and its legal in your state. Why not?
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 4:34:26 AM EDT
[#2]
If you don't mind the extra weight, it's a fine rifle.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 4:38:40 AM EDT
[#3]
I like mine except the 1/9 twist barrel.  Not that big a deal though.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 4:48:19 AM EDT
[#4]
hbar, 1/9 twist is awesome and should print some great groups.  Forget the nonsense about weight from some, most of these people are shooting from a bench anyway which makes it more hysterical imho.  You won't have any problem stabilzing 95% of the stuff out there

pull the trigger, have fun
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 4:48:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I like mine except the 1/9 twist barrel.  Not that big a deal though.
View Quote

1/9 is more accurate... By the mils original testing over 2x more accurate w 193 and 855 than a 1/7. It will last longer too as less rotations = less friction. Whats not to like? Unless you shoot 77s exclusively or tracers, theres no advantage to a 1/7 at all.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 4:58:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Buy it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 5:24:00 AM EDT
[#7]
As a fellow subject of the People's Republic of Maryland I recently made the same purchase.  I'm extremely pleased with mine.  I put a Vortex Strikefire red dot on it.  The range where I shoot most of the time is bench only, so I changed out the handguard for a Magpul with a rail and added a Grip-pod.

So far I've shot mostly Federal American Eagle 55 gr FMJ and I'm really pleased with the accuracy and the operation of the rifle.  I really don't think you can go wrong and our exalted legislators may figure out that they left some huge loopholes in their historic assault weapon ban and add hbars to the list at some point.

Here's mine:
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w253/Clump63/AR15/IMG_1766_zps60a5f103.jpg
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 7:32:59 AM EDT
[#8]
If the balance issue is bugging you...add a A1 or A2 stock with cleaning kit, or the Magpul UBR if a tele stock is mission critical. The Colt 6721 was one of my first modern ARs.   Mine was made even better with an A2 stock , getting rid of the ridiculous knobs on the carry handle, and adding M4 handies to the piece.  This weapon instills confidence, just with the way it feels....so go out and beat up the universe !
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 11:38:57 AM EDT
[#9]

Not mine but member Molon's review on the Colt 16" 1/9 twist HBAR barrel using a free floating handguard and precision hand loaded ammo.

Quoting Molon: "The barrel on the Colt 6721 is the most accurate "off the shelf" chrome-lined, NATO chambered AR-15 barrel that I've tested."

Here's the thread link: (see page 2)

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/486023_Accuracy_Evaluation_of_a_Colt_16__Light_weight_Barrel.html&page=1

Here's my 6721 made in 2010 with small standard size FCG pins and tactical modifications.

My Upgrades:
Knight's Armament Co. KAC M4 RAS rails
Magpul AFG1
Magpul XTM rail panels
BCM extractor spring upgrade kit
BCM GunFighter mod 4 medium latch CH
LMT ambi selector
Magpul MIAD grip
Vltor IMOD stock
Troy old model folding rear sight
Aimpoint on LaRue cantilever QD mount
Surefire M951C weaponlight
Blue Force Gear Vickers VCAS two point sling
Magpul PMAG

Link Posted: 8/24/2014 3:18:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
As a fellow subject of the People's Republic of Maryland I recently made the same purchase.  I'm extremely pleased with mine.  I put a Vortex Strikefire red dot on it.  The range where I shoot most of the time is bench only, so I changed out the handguard for a Magpul with a rail and added a Grip-pod.

So far I've shot mostly Federal American Eagle 55 gr FMJ and I'm really pleased with the accuracy and the operation of the rifle.  I really don't think you can go wrong and our exalted legislators may figure out that they left some huge loopholes in their historic assault weapon ban and add hbars to the list at some point.

Here's mine:
<a href="http://s178.photobucket.com/user/Clump63/media/AR15/IMG_1766_zps60a5f103.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w253/Clump63/AR15/IMG_1766_zps60a5f103.jpg</a>
View Quote

Knowing nothing about Maryland's laws - am I understanding that HBARs are legal?  

Do they have a specific determination of what constitutes an HBAR or not?  

Would it be possible to use the RO921HB (Heavy Barrel), otherwise known as "M4A1 SOCOM" profile barrel?  

It's a little bit lighter than the 6721's HBAR, as well as a 1/7 twist.

::shrug::

While it's not my preferred barrel profile or twist, for what you're asking about, the LE6721 should serve you just fine as others have pointed out.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 3:27:31 PM EDT
[#11]
I have sold a lot of 6721's to Maryland dealers this year.  The way I understand the law, if the gun has a heavy barrel, and says HBAR, it is still legal in Maryland.  They are buying those and VZ58's. It has caught on, Colt is out of 6721's right now.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 5:02:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Yep. HBARs only. Everything else is illegal. That is only by a loophole which says Colt Heavy Barrel Sporter models are still legal.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 5:30:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Had one during the ban days.  Extremely accurate with 55 gr FMJBT.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 3:27:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Knowing nothing about Maryland's laws - am I understanding that HBARs are legal?  

Do they have a specific determination of what constitutes an HBAR or not?  

Would it be possible to use the RO921HB (Heavy Barrel), otherwise known as "M4A1 SOCOM" profile barrel?  

It's a little bit lighter than the 6721's HBAR, as well as a 1/7 twist.

::shrug::

While it's not my preferred barrel profile or twist, for what you're asking about, the LE6721 should serve you just fine as others have pointed out.  

~Augee
View Quote

I'm not a lawyer, but I've done a bunch of homework on this ridiculous law.  You could replace an existing barrel with that and be OK.  You could use it on a lower that was already owned and be OK.  At this point I don't know of a way to buy a lower in MD, so new builds are pretty much impossible.  There are also a lot of questions about 80% lowers that would make me really nervous if I was going that way.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 3:44:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Yep. HBARs only. Everything else is illegal. That is only by a loophole which says Colt Heavy Barrel Sporter models are still legal.
View Quote

About the dumbest law I've ever heard of.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 5:33:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry for the thread-jack, but there is some high entertainment value here.

It gets even dumber:

Before the "ban" "assault weapons" were considered as regulated firearms and fell under the same restrictions as handguns.  You had to complete the State Police paperwork and have it "not disapproved" and a 10 day waiting period.  After the "ban" the rifles that are still legal became unregulated long guns and are cash and carry, including purchasing from another state, perfectly legally.  So they actually made it easier to get ARs, but HBAR only because obviously that lighter barrel is much more dangerous.

The new law has a 10 round magazine limit, however you can purchase magazines in any capacity in another state and freely bring them to MD.  My 6721 included the 30 round mag, because I bought it in another state, perfectly legally.

I don't know if they will ever figure out these tractor trailer sized holes in their "ban".  Sure hope not.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 6:14:02 AM EDT
[#17]
My thoughts would be if you don't want them to figure out their "loophole", stop talking about it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:25:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
http://i.imgur.com/aYc6ojU.jpg
Not mine but member Molon's review on the Colt 16" 1/9 twist HBAR barrel using a free floating handguard and precision hand loaded ammo.

Quoting Molon: "The barrel on the Colt 6721 is the most accurate "off the shelf" chrome-lined, NATO chambered AR-15 barrel that I've tested."

Here's the thread link: (see page 2)

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/486023_Accuracy_Evaluation_of_a_Colt_16__Light_weight_Barrel.html&page=1

http://oi53.tinypic.com/2ykjgd1.jpg
Here's my 6721 made in 2010 with small standard size FCG pins and tactical modifications.

My Upgrades:
Knight's Armament Co. KAC M4 RAS rails
Magpul AFG1
Magpul XTM rail panels
BCM extractor spring upgrade kit
BCM GunFighter mod 4 medium latch CH
LMT ambi selector
Magpul MIAD grip
Vltor IMOD stock
Troy old model folding rear sight
Aimpoint on LaRue cantilever QD mount
Surefire M951C weaponlight
Blue Force Gear Vickers VCAS two point sling
Magpul PMAG

View Quote

Yup, it's pretty darn accurate.   Here's my review of mine:

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 9:54:23 AM EDT
[#19]
As I have been told directly from a person from the Maryland State Police, ANY AR-15 with a heavy barrel is not regulated, unless it is Bushmaster brand (for whatever crazy reason).
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 1:24:29 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a few questions while awaiting delivery of my 6721:

1. How high a scope/red dot mount is recommended so the sight(s) are not interfered with visually by the front post sight?

2. Any recommendations for mounts?

3. I might want to replace the fore end with one that has rails. Since I don't have the rifle in my hands yet, I'm wondering how long a fore end is needed. From the photos I have seen, I'm guessing it might be about 7".
Will a replacement fore end be on the same level as the top rail already mounted on the rifle?

4. Any recommendations for fore ends? I'm looking for mid-range pricing.

5. I might want to get rid of the stock post sight/gas block assembly entirely and replace it with a different gas block and fore end assembly so that the fore end extends more towards the muzzle.
Is this a "big" job that I need a gunsmith to perform? What fore end/gas block combinations will work without a lot of fussing on my part?

6. I presume this is a "mil-spec" rifle, but the Colt site doesn't indicate it.

7. I downloaded the Colt "user manual" from the Colt site. Looks like Colt had the office boy Xerox a printed manual and he didn't bother to make sure the pages were in the copier straight.
Can anyone recommend a good manual on the care and feeding of my new rifle?

Thanks. I'll bet I'll have more questions later.

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:10:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I have a few questions while awaiting delivery of my 6721:

1. How high a scope/red dot mount is recommended so the sight(s) are not interfered with visually by the front post sight?

The "recommended" height is not to worry about "interference" from the fixed front sight - with any magnification over 3x, the front sight will be little more than a "smudge" in your sight picture.  Even with an un-magnified sight, if you're using the sight properly and focusing on the target, most users tend to find that the front sight post more or less "fades away."  

That being said, many RDS users prefer what's referred to as a "lower 1/3 cowitness," which places the iron sights in the lower 1/3 of the optic's field of view.  

If you're insistent on getting your sights up above the front sight, you may want to look into either a folding front sight setup, or use a carry handle mount, which will put your sights above the iron sights.

2. Any recommendations for mounts?

Really depends on what you're planning to mount - some optics come with built in mounts that will interface directly with the accessory rail on the upper receiver, while there are many companies that manufacture mounting solutions for a wide variety of different optics.  LaRue tends to be a perennial favorite for a lot of different types of optics - but the better question would be to select the optic you want and research and shop for mounts to use with said optic.  

3. I might want to replace the fore end with one that has rails. Since I don't have the rifle in my hands yet, I'm wondering how long a fore end is needed. From the photos I have seen, I'm guessing it might be about 7".
Will a replacement fore end be on the same level as the top rail already mounted on the rifle?

The "standard" carbine length rail is usually going to be the ones listed at 7", though not all are exactly 7" long.  Also look for the phrase "Carbine Length."  

Most railed forearms will place the 12 o'clock rail level with the receiver accessory rail - however, there are some models which do not (the Surefire M73 sticks out in this regard).  

4. Any recommendations for fore ends? I'm looking for mid-range pricing.

What are you looking for?  A full railed forearm?  A more "modular" design?  For a basic, affordable quad rail that's extremely sturdy and extremely high quality you could look into KAC M4 RAS seconds or on the used market - or there are also options like the DD EZ CAR and MI offerings at lower price points.  

5. I might want to get rid of the stock post sight/gas block assembly entirely and replace it with a different gas block and fore end assembly so that the fore end extends more towards the muzzle.
Is this a "big" job that I need a gunsmith to perform? What fore end/gas block combinations will work without a lot of fussing on my part?

Depends on how confident you are in your mechanical aptitude and your willingness to get the tools to do the job properly.  

The easiest, but least reversible method would simply be to shave down the existing front sight base into a low-profile gas block profile, which many have done with a Dremel in their garage.  

Additional options/methods become increasingly more complex than that, but for the most part all are fairly easy and can be accomplished by most people with basic mechanical skills provided they have the correct tools.  

Pretty much any low profile gas block, along with a shaved FSB will work with most extended forearm options out there - as for which forearm to use, there are a variety of options out there with lots of different features, many of which are quite easy to install without too much fuss - rather than list them all, you may be better off reading up some more and doing some more research on exactly what kind of forearm you're looking for.  

6. I presume this is a "mil-spec" rifle, but the Colt site doesn't indicate it.

It's "mil-spec" to the extent that it's built by Colt who has full access to the TDP, MIL-SPECs, and MIL-STDs for the M4 Carbine, meaning that you can be fairly certain that the critical dimensions, tolerances, materials, protective coatings and treatments, and parts testing conforms to those used for M4 Carbines delivered to the U.S. military, however, to the extent that no new weapons manufactured for the U.S. commercial market are select-fire, nor will they be "U.S. GOVT PROPERTY" marked, it is not going to be "MIL-SPEC."  

Meanwhile - in terms of basic specs, in comparison to the standard USGI M4 Carbine, minus the select-fire FCG and accompanying machining of the lower receiver, the LE6721 differs from the "MIL-SPEC" unit in having a 16" HBAR with a 1/9 barrel twist in comparison to a 14.5" "Government Profile" barrel with a 1/7 twist on the M4, which also, incidentally, makes the USGI M4 an "SBR."  

7. I downloaded the Colt "user manual" from the Colt site. Looks like Colt had the office boy Xerox a printed manual and he didn't bother to make sure the pages were in the copier straight.
Can anyone recommend a good manual on the care and feeding of my new rifle?

TM 9-1005-319-10 Operator's Manual for Rifle, M16A2, Rifle, M16A3, Rifle, M16A4, Carbine, M4, Carbine, M4A1 Dated June 2010

Thanks. I'll bet I'll have more questions later.
View Quote

~Augee
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top