Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2014 1:39:49 PM EDT
when PSA was running the combo deals, AR15 w/ aimpoint or AR15 w/ G19, those were PTAC AR15's right? What is the opinion on the PTAC rifles? I was reading they are 4-6MOA??
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 2:00:19 PM EDT
[#1]
It depends on what PSA is hawking.  It is best to read into the ad to make the final decision.

The PTAC are a hit miss right now.  It is more like a beater than precision.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 2:05:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Is there a way to tell a PSA rifle from a PTAC rifle with just looking at them in person?
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 2:11:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is there a way to tell a PSA rifle from a PTAC rifle with just looking at them in person?
View Quote

usually the barrel is stamped PTAC, but also PTAC uppers (generally, not always) do not come with any sort of laser engraving on them (no PSA logo).  The PTAC parts are the bottom of the barrel in terms of PSA.  Their Freedom line is slightly better (although there is discussion and rumor as to whether the Freedom line is just a rebranding of PTAC because PTAC was so bad) and their Premium line is their best.  I know people with PTAC rifles that are tack drivers, and people with PTAC rifles that have been through multiple bad barrels.  Personally, if I buy PSA I buy their premium line, which has barrels made by FN.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 2:13:51 PM EDT
[#4]
How would you say a PTAC compares to Delton Rifle?
Quoted:

usually the barrel is stamped PTAC, but also PTAC uppers (generally, not always) do not come with any sort of laser engraving on them (no PSA logo).  The PTAC parts are the bottom of the barrel in terms of PSA.  Their Freedom line is slightly better (although there is discussion and rumor as to whether the Freedom line is just a rebranding of PTAC because PTAC was so bad) and their Premium line is their best.  I know people with PTAC rifles that are tack drivers, and people with PTAC rifles that have been through multiple bad barrels.  Personally, if I buy PSA I buy their premium line, which has barrels made by FN.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 2:43:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

THIS! Op, unless your truly poor college kid then skip the headache of possibly getting a busted P-Tac anything and get PSA's "Premium" line if your going to go with a PSA brand... I have a premium barrel on a 14.7" CHF middy barrel that is extremely nice/accurate.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 2:46:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Delton hands down... I can't ever remember recommending a Delton anything before. Take that for what its worth...
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:12:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Is the 4-6" MOA on a PTAC serious?

Quoted:
Quoted:

Delton hands down... I can't ever remember recommending a Delton anything before. Take that for what its worth...
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:15:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

There's a guy in the MOA all day challenge thread with a PTAC. Some shoot very well.

To answer the question - most of the combos of a complete rifle with optic is a PSA premium. They have not offered a PTAC rifle.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:20:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

It's really going to be hit or miss man.  There is a chance you get a rifle that groups that badly at it's best (there was a group of PTAC barrels a while back that looked like they had acid poured down the barrel and then stored for 30 years) and there have also been reports of people having success with them.

Basically, if you want or need a more accurate rifle then that, don't count on the PTAC to guarantee it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:28:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Delton.

With a PTAC you might as well be playing craps.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 5:06:32 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a bit of PSA gear and have been happy with it. I like their price and love the FN barrels. As long as your looking at that combo, you're GTG. Ive seen nothing on arfcom to indicate that the new budget PTAC line is worth the risk. Spend the extra dough and dont look back.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 6:20:23 AM EDT
[#12]
I love my premium PSA's, but wouldn't chance a PTAC. I have a couple del tons and they've been great. I would take. Del ton over a PTAC any day.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 6:46:54 AM EDT
[#13]
The PTAC stuff I have bought is fine. No problems.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 6:57:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
when PSA was running the combo deals, AR15 w/ aimpoint or AR15 w/ G19, those were PTAC AR15's right? What is the opinion on the PTAC rifles? I was reading they are 4-6MOA??
View Quote

Again - answering the question from the OP since it appears to have been missed in the PTAC hate.

The AR15 deal with Aimpoint is a PSA Premium rifle.

The AR15 with the G19 was a PSA Freedom (stainless barrel)

PSA will never offer a PTAC complete rifle because the lower would be wearing their name and they are (supposedly) not affiliated with PTAC aside from being the only retailer with their products. If you buy a complete rifle that says PSA, you don't need to worry about getting PTAC.

Links - They only have one firearm combo deal left and it was with the Mossberg MVP not the pistols.

PSA 16'' Mid Premium with Aimpoint PRO - $999

PSA 16" Stainless Mid-length Freedom Carbine With Mossberg MVP - $999
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 5:05:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Again - answering the question from the OP since it appears to have been missed in the PTAC hate.

PSA will never offer a PTAC complete rifle because the lower would be wearing their name and they are (supposedly) not affiliated with PTAC aside from being the only retailer with their products. If you buy a complete rifle that says PSA, you don't need to worry about getting PTAC.

Links - They only have one firearm combo deal left and it was with the Mossberg MVP not the pistols.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is very good info. Thanks. But please also note OP asked for everyones opinion on PTAC kit, which was given. Theres no need to call people out for that in the case it may not match yours.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 9:21:31 AM EDT
[#16]
What is the value of the aimpoint? I ask because you can build a PSA for roughly $550. Upper with FN barrel and lower with nickel bcg. May be able to get more of what you want by building and selecting your own optics.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top