Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2014 3:29:55 PM EDT
The other day my buddy and I decided to night shoot with our AR's.  He has a 16" Colt 6920 with an A2 FH, I have an LMT D2000 with the Griffin Flash Comp.  The GFC has been great for muzzle climb (better than A2) and concussion (on par with A2).

I have shot mine at night even with NODs, and I do not have issues with follow-up shot sure to the GFC flash.  The bigger issue with NODs is the smoke when my friend shoots next to me...that's another issue.

We took some pics for comparison.  My evaluation of the GFC prior was that it was a touch brighter than the A2 at night, but nothing significant at all.  Here are the results:

Colt 6920 16" w/ standard A2, Federal Lake City XM193 55 gr 5.56, 5 shots:

LMT D2000 16" w/ Griffin Flash Comp, Federal Lake City XM193 55 gr 5.56, 5 shots:

The differences may look pronounced, but to me it was not a lot at all when live firing.  The muzzle climb mitigation, not shown here, is the true differentiation at a no-noise-increase costs.  We hope to do a decibel and recoil video soon.

If you're looking for a comp, the Griffin does a great job as an all-around device...
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:36:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like the A2 wins again.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:38:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes, definitely in flash.  I like the recoil/muzzle climb reductions more than the increase in flash detraction...

Your priorities may vary.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:53:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes it does. The only thing I've tried that is the same or maybe less than an A2 is a Smith-Vortex...
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 7:33:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Would love to see the same thing with the Precision Armament AFAB.

Paging Lenny...
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 7:34:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Damn nice photos.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 2:29:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Juke, any data on the BCM here?  There's eight threads about comps at any one time...good data here from actual owners that the V Blog didn't cover.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 2:52:24 AM EDT
[#7]
The BCM flash looks slighty more or the same from the videos I have seen vs the flashcomp, but after shooting both the BCM reduces recoil more.        

In the end they are very close to each other in performance. I just wish I had more trigger time with them side by side, and you cant go wrong with either imo.

ETA:People forget there are lots out thier using handguns at night/HD with much more flash, and even as much as a brake at times.

here is a good photo

Link Posted: 8/23/2014 3:08:03 AM EDT
[#8]
BCM comp on a full auto AR at night.

Link Posted: 8/23/2014 9:18:29 AM EDT
[#9]
The knock I've read on the BCM Comp Mods are the concussion being a bit high and occasional rounds spit some impressive flash.

Any credence to that or no?
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 9:23:16 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

The knock I've read on the BCM Comp Mods are the concussion being a bit high and occasional rounds spit some impressive flash.

View Quote
Concussion is the same as a .308 with an A2, and the occasional fireball applies to most comps imo.

I also feel the flash comp concussion is the same as .308 with an A2. YMMV
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 9:46:42 AM EDT
[#11]
I've shot Battle Comp (own one) and BCM comp back to back.  They all perform very close to one another.  

I may grind off the BC and put an A2X on one day.  I'm not sure the flash and blast are worth the recoil reduction in a defensive rifle.  I also have a 14.7 with pinned A2 - I need to drag it out to a local match and shoot it more as a comparison.

This is interesting as well:

Link Posted: 8/23/2014 10:04:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Yes I like that video.

I noticed the Griffin's night signature as extremely brief. The video shows little flash before and after where the pics above represent the largest flash of all the frames in each shot. My point is that the momentary flash is so quick, and the recoil/muzzle climb difference is so pronounced when against the A2, that I think the benefits do outweigh the costs when looking at GFC against an A2 for a defensive rifle.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 10:08:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I've shot Battle Comp (own one) and BCM comp back to back.  They all perform very close to one another.  

I may grind off the BC and put an A2X on one day.  I'm not sure the flash and blast are worth the recoil reduction in a defensive rifle.  I also have a 14.7 with pinned A2 - I need to drag it out to a local match and shoot it more as a comparison.

This is interesting as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtxbPUievuU
View Quote

You probably won't feel or notice either in a fight.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 10:30:37 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Yes I like that video.

I noticed the Griffin's night signature as extremely brief. The video shows little flash before and after where the pics above represent the largest flash of all the frames in each shot. My point is that the momentary flash is so quick, and the recoil/muzzle climb difference is so pronounced when against the A2, that I think the benefits do outweigh the costs when looking at GFC against an A2 for a defensive rifle.
View Quote
Big +1

Link Posted: 8/23/2014 1:33:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Concussion is the same as a .308 with an A2, and the occasional fireball applies to most comps imo.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No BCM experience but I feel little concussive difference between the A2 and GFC
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 3:56:49 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
No BCM experience but I feel little concussive difference between the A2 and GFC

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I shoot at an indoor range though, and now that I think of it I cant feel a difference outdoors as well with the BCM vs an A2.

If you see no difference indoors then its just me.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 6:53:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I shoot at an indoor range though, and now that I think of it I cant feel a difference outdoors as well with the BCM vs an A2.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No indoor shooting for me, so maybe that medium yields different results.  Would like to know on my end as we are talking HD weapons...indoors is somewhat likely.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 7:53:51 PM EDT
[#18]
For my needs,........the Griffin flash comp is the best I have tried for the money.
The KAC MAMS is my #1 but it is a bit pricey
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 9:24:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Really want to see an AFAB comparison with sound, flash, concussion
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 10:04:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have one, and love it. Anyone who says the concussion is high has NEVER used a compensator.  I originally tried an SJC titan and miculek style comps. The Griffin has so much less concussion than the other two (or really most any comp) that it isn't even in the same galaxy.

The griffin is one heck of a jack of all trades, master of none. Yes the A2 does better at flash hiding, yes the SJC does better at compensation. However, when you put it all together, the Griffin does a hell of a job in the areas of noise, compensation, and flash hiding.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 7:14:43 AM EDT
[#21]
^^^^ very well stated!
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 12:20:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I have one, and love it. Anyone who says the concussion is high has NEVER used a compensator.  I originally tried an SJC titan and miculek style comps. The Griffin has so much less concussion than the other two (or really most any comp) that it isn't even in the same galaxy.

The griffin is one heck of a jack of all trades, master of none. Yes the A2 does better at flash hiding, yes the SJC does better at compensation. However, when you put it all together, the Griffin does a hell of a job in the areas of noise, compensation, and flash hiding.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.  I'm going to do a decibel test on it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 2:15:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I usually shoot indoor with plexiglass dividers.   The SJC was so loud, that I couldn't shoot it, even with  earplugs plus ear muffs. The range officer said it was easily the loudest AR he had ever heard. A heavier buffer + the griffin have made for a incredibly easy and fun AR to shoot...and I'll keep my hearing. So ready for the ATF to approve my form 4.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 4:15:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Some of the ammunition on the market has flash retardant added to powder. That makes a huge difference.  M855 and 193 do not have it.  Pmc xtac is supposed to have flash retardants.  ironically some of the cheap ammo like mfs is very low flash. If its worth considering muzzle device swapping it is probably also worth being more descriminating with ammo selection as well.   The other huge game changer is the addition of a suppressor for night operations.   The m4sd II suppressor mounted over the device has lower flash than vortex, blackout, & be Meyers flash suppressors.

Safeguarding hearing during low visability would be a tactical advantage as hearing becomes a larger part of situational awareness when vision is impaired by darkness.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 11:22:19 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Some of the ammunition on the market has flash retardant added to powder. That makes a huge difference.  M855 and 193 do not have it.  Pmc xtac is supposed to have flash retardants.  ironically some of the cheap ammo like mfs is very low flash. If its worth considering muzzle device swapping it is probably also worth being more descriminating with ammo selection as well.   The other huge game changer is the addition of a suppressor for night operations.   The m4sd II suppressor mounted over the device has lower flash than vortex, blackout, & be Meyers flash suppressors.

Safeguarding hearing during low visability would be a tactical advantage as hearing becomes a larger part of situational awareness when vision is impaired by darkness.
View Quote
No suppressors here.

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 12:04:58 PM EDT
[#26]
In it for the AFAB results. I was debating an AFAB mini of griffin flash comp. Got a gemtech Vortex QD in the interim.

Had a DynaComp and the flash and sound were too much for no earpro and night.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:29:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
In it for the AFAB results. I was debating an AFAB mini of griffin flash comp. Got a gemtech Vortex QD in the interim.

Had a DynaComp and the flash and sound were too much for no earpro and night.
View Quote

Paging Lennyo3034
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 10:12:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Thats too bad on California nfa regs. I do think it would be impressive to see the same photos taken with low flash ammunition.   I believe the new m855a1 uses a flash reducing powder.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 10:22:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Paging Lenny...
View Quote

I'm here! Unfortunately those photo taking skills are far beyond me. Nor do I have a place close by where I can shoot after dark.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 11:47:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I'm here! Unfortunately those photo taking skills are far beyond me. Nor do I have a place close by where I can shoot after dark.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Paging Lenny...

You could always send it to me?  

I think the AFAB may be my next muzzle device.  I'd like to run comparisons, and I think it looks sexy.  I need to run decibel checks.  I suspect the muzzle climb is the same or similar.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:18:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did this ever happen?
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:21:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Did this ever happen?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did this ever happen?

Not yet.  Working it with Lennyo3034 for a comparison
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 10:09:25 PM EDT
[#33]
So I got a Griffin Flash Comp in and have been testing it out this week next to the AFAB. I'll write up a review this week.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top