BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/21/2014 4:37:12 PM EDT
I took one of my new rifles out top the range for the second time today. The first time, I fired one round which got stuck and I didn't have a cleaning rod to pop it out, so range trip over for that rifle. I even tried mortaring it and nothing. I thought maybe I didn't clean the preservative out enough or something. So I bring it home, clean and lube well. Ammo used was also some independence which I thought may have been the issue.

Fast forward to today, I fired fired about twenty rounds without issue. That is, until I looked at the brass which has rings and after getting home and looking under different lighting conditions, looks slightly swollen. I also discovered a blown primer while inspecting. This was federal, lake city ammo. I loaded a second mag with PPU while at the range, fired one round and had a stuck case. I beat it out and stopped using the rifle for the day.

ThIs is a factory assembled upper, I will withhold the manufacturer until I give them the opportunity to fix it. If that is what needs to happen. Here are some pics. The last one shows the last stuck casing where the extractor bent the rim.

Updates: Del-Ton is the manufacturer. Issued  RMA but blamed ammo for the problem. Tells me pay your own shipping even though we sent you a defective product.

Update 8/26: Spoke to Tony on the phone. Del-Ton issuing return call ticket for shipping back. Will update again once replacement/re-barreled upper received.

8/29 Upper delivered to Del-Ton about an hour ago.

9/2 Del-Ton called said replaced barrel, shipping back today

Received the upper back on 9/4, made it to range on 9/8 fired 50rds without issue. Everything seems good to go.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 4:42:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like 5.56 in an out of spec or .223 chamber.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 4:48:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

The last piece of brass by itself is a 223 round and has the same marks and is the one that got stuck.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 4:56:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Popped primers, swelled brass, stuck cases (FTE), bent or ripped/torn case rims with factory loads from different manufacturers equates to excessive chamber pressure.  Obviously no barrel obstruction, so, must be out of spec chamber.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:15:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Out of spec chamber for sure.  And if its doing this with .223, id send it back for replacement.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:20:55 PM EDT
[#5]
My guess was out of spec chamber also. if it helps, I've fired about 6K rounds of Independence ammo with no issues to date.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 8:30:06 PM EDT
[#6]
I've contacted the manufacturer. Just waiting on a response which I assume should come tomorrow since it was about quitting time when I sent the email.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:58:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Well I got a response from the manufacturer. I'm not overly thrilled with what they sent. They believe it to be an "ammo issue" but want me to send it back and on my dime. I'm sorry but I don't believe three different kinds of ammo would have issues. But as long as they fix it, I'll be happy with the outcome as long as I am compensated for paying for return shipping.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 10:05:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Come on man...spill it.

You know you want to.

You have not crossed that line, and thrown them under the bus yet.

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 10:05:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Now would be the time to name the names
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 10:27:05 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 10:33:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right....when they blamed the problem on three different types of ammo they forfeited your silence.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 11:31:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Right....when they blamed the problem on three different types of ammo they forfeited your silence.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Another +1 for telling us the manufacturer's name
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 11:38:09 PM EDT
[#13]
call them out here and on social media, they will change their tune and also contact consumerist. contact ceo and cc email to every regional manager and different venders. create paper trail for documentation. you mite have to take them to small claims court. dont mess around with corporations, if they jerk you around that means they jerk every buyer around also.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 11:38:48 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 11:41:19 PM EDT
[#15]
+2, you were very courteous and patient.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 11:43:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
call them out here and on social media, they will change their tune and also contact consumerist. contact ceo and cc email to every regional manager and different venders. create paper trail for documentation. you mite have to take them to small claims court. dont mess around with corporations, if they jerk you around that means they jerk every buyer around also.
View Quote

That's like 0-100mph really fast.  We're just looking for highway speeds at this point
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 1:32:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

this^^^^
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 4:30:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Those rings on your fired cases makes me suspect a chamber defect.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 5:52:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm going with this seeing the ringing/rubbing on the back end of the cases... I bet I can guess the manufacturer... OP, I hope you get this fixed ASAP.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 5:53:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I've contacted the manufacturer. Just waiting on a response which I assume should come tomorrow since it was about quitting time when I sent the email.
View Quote

Deleted: Manufacturer is a joke...
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 5:55:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes, what that "manufacturer" told you is total bullshit. Did you send the pics to them? Any tard can tell by the ringing on the rear part of the casing that it's an out of spec chamber...
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 6:27:13 PM EDT
[#22]
OP,
Unless you work for the company, or someone you respect is associated with the company, it is time for you to tell us the manufacturer's name.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 12:15:48 AM EDT
[#23]
OP,

Did you chuck a chamber brush in your power drill or something? cause you got some rings in your chamber as shown by the dmage to your fired brass.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 12:18:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
OP,

Did you chuck a chamber brush in your power drill or something? cause you got some rings in your chamber as shown by the dmage to your fired brass.
View Quote

Nope, only thing I've put into the chamber are rounds, gun scrub to get any factory preservative out, and a bore snake with a dab of clp on it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 12:20:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Del-Ton is the manufacturer since everyone wants to know. I'll be packaging the upper tomorrow and shipping it out on Monday. I'll let everyone know as soon as it gets back and I have opportunity to go to the range.

Link Posted: 8/24/2014 2:11:18 AM EDT
[#26]
Figures. They are ECU pirates fans...

At least shipping will be quick.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 8:12:14 AM EDT
[#27]
Maybe as a general rule people should shoot only match grade ammo to break the guns virginity.  Then judge the rifle on how it handles said rounds.  That way you can FOR SURE eliminate ammo as a root cause.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 11:05:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Del-Ton is the manufacturer since everyone wants to know. I'll be packaging the upper tomorrow and shipping it out on Monday. I'll let everyone know as soon as it gets back and I have opportunity to go to the range.

View Quote

I'm actually surprised Del-Ton is the manufacturer of this barrel. I would bust them out hard here and cross link this thread in Del-Ton's Industry Forum and get them to pay for the shipping BOTH ways and get this barrel's chamber properly reamed and polished...
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 11:10:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Maybe as a general rule people should shoot only match grade ammo to break the guns virginity.  Then judge the rifle on how it handles said rounds.  That way you can FOR SURE eliminate ammo as a root cause.
View Quote

Your kidding right??? Independence, Federal (Lake City), and Privi Partisan are some of the best "bulk" ball ammo you can shoot. My SHTF stash if full of these three and in thousands upon thousands of rounds of said ammo and not 1 single malfunction. The OP did the right thing trying these 3 brands of ammo and this is certainly a Del-Ton problem...
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 11:50:56 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Your kidding right??? Independence, Federal (Lake City), and Privi Partisan are some of the best "bulk" ball ammo you can shoot. My SHTF stash if full of these three and in thousands upon thousands of rounds of said ammo and not 1 single malfunction. The OP did the right thing trying these 3 brands of ammo and this is certainly a Del-Ton problem...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1
OP did the right thing by shooting different ammo made by different companies for the testing and evaluation of the rifle's performance, which concluded with a faulty chamber.
OP also withhold the company's name until the company(Del-Ton) decides their company is more important than their customer.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 11:53:30 AM EDT
[#31]
I know Del-Ton's average quality but I always thought their customer service was supposed to be good.

My fingers are crossed for the used DT upper I have coming.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 12:02:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I know Del-Ton's average quality but I always thought their customer service was supposed to be good.

My fingers are crossed for the used DT upper I have coming.
View Quote

He said if it was an issue they world take care of it. I imagine as a manufacturer I would be skeptical to accept blame over a few pictures and an email. However, I wouldn't blame the ammo and would instead just choose not to put the blame any where.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 3:27:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Economic grade rifles mean you get their higher rate of failure.

But that won't help this. I hope they make it right. I'd also be worried about what else could go wrong, being that an out of spec chamber should be easy to catch with any amount of QC. The same QC process used to ensure your chamber was in spec is the same process used on all the other parts.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 7:15:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

+1
OP did the right thing by shooting different ammo made by different companies for the testing and evaluation of the rifle's performance, which concluded with a faulty chamber.
OP also withhold the company's name until the company(Del-Ton) decides their company is more important than their customer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

I wasn't criticizing the OP.

Actually I was just thinking aloud and somehow it made it into a form post, just ignore me
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 7:39:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Actually I was just thinking aloud and somehow it made it into a form post, just ignore me
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

you're not the only one, it happens to me too
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 10:10:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

I just assumed it was sarcasm in regards to the response I got from the manufacturer.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 10:07:35 AM EDT
[#37]
Well, apparently even if they ship you a piece of shit they won't pay for you to send it back to them. This will be the last thing I own from Del-Ton.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 10:21:02 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Well, apparently even if they ship you a piece of shit they won't pay for you to send it back to them. This will be the last thing I own from Del-Ton.
View Quote

Link this shit to their industry forum. There is no F'in reason you should pay shipping. Not to mention they have a dude answering the phone or emails blaming it on THREE DIFFERENT types of ammo rather than their fucked up chamber. If they give a shit about their reputation here I bet theyll change their answer rather quickly assuming they check their industry forum
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 10:48:12 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Popped primers, swelled brass, stuck cases (FTE), bent or ripped/torn case rims with factory loads from different manufacturers equates to excessive chamber pressure.  Obviously no barrel obstruction, so, must be out of spec chamber.
View Quote

I believe this is correct ^^^
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 5:39:39 PM EDT
[#40]
I would send them at least one fired case from the different brands you were shooting.

They all exhibit the same concentric rings that suggest to me there are significant tool marks in the chamber. The slight bulge is evidence that a chip may have been caught under a flute of the reamer and it cut the chamber oversize at that point or, that it was cut to deep and there could be a headspace issue.

YMMV,

Wpns Man
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 6:34:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I'm actually surprised Del-Ton is the manufacturer of this barrel. I would bust them out hard here and cross link this thread in Del-Ton's Industry Forum and get them to pay for the shipping BOTH ways and get this barrel's chamber properly reamed and polished...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Del-ton does not make all of the barrel they sell according to their own web site.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 6:50:40 PM EDT
[#42]
I will soon be in the market for an AR kit, del ton was one I was thinking of. Not now.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 7:53:12 PM EDT
[#43]
You need to link this in their forum and tell them you don't appreciate paying your own shipping for a piece of crap.  You want a new barrel, not a reamed chamber by the way.  Hopefully that is their practice.  But hound them til they pay your shipping.  Or we can all just put DTI on the no fly zone.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:14:22 PM EDT
[#44]
I'd throw a ripping fit over that bullshit. I had a problem with a Springfield pistol....they paid shipping, refinished the pistol in the color of my choice and gave me free swag...all without asking or raising my voice...they offered all of it!

That is obviously an out of spec chamber and a crock of bullshit.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:34:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
You need to link this in their forum and tell them you don't appreciate paying your own shipping for a piece of crap.  You want a new barrel, not a reamed chamber by the way.  Hopefully that is their practice.  But hound them til they pay your shipping.  Or we can all just put DTI on the no fly zone.  
View Quote

I posted a thread in their forum and another member posted a link to this. I also made a post on their Facebook page to which the response I got was to contact customer service which has gotten me no where so far.

ETA: it is a chrome lined barrel so I don't think reaming the chamber will be an option.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:58:20 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
I posted a thread in their forum and another member posted a link to this. I also made a post on their Facebook page to which the response I got was to contact customer service which has gotten me no where so far.

ETA: it is a chrome lined barrel so I don't think reaming the chamber will be an option.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This was my thinking.  I hope you get customer satisfaction.  I have some DTI parts, not a whole rifle.  I can tell you I will watch this thread and as of now I got DTI on the no fly list!  If they want to pony up I can be flexible.  I had always thought they were a decent CS company, but I have had limited exposure to their CS.  Watching with curiosity.  

EDIT:  seems like you aren't the only person taking it in the shorts from DTI.  I have cross linked their site.  They need to get their crap together\

but feel free to call with anymore questions.........
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 12:09:09 AM EDT
[#47]
You know what? It's a shame. Over the course of time I've been messing with ARs, I've placed three orders with DTI. The very first for a magpul miad kit, the first gen one with the trigger guard front strap. It was missing a piece. It was a fight to get that resolved because they told me I ordered the last one. Then magically they found the missing part. But they did send me a t-shirt for my troubles and actually called me after the initial email exchange. The second time was for some small bolt related parts. No issues. Then the third brings us to our current situation.  So overall I'm only batting 33% on good orders with them.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 12:34:52 AM EDT
[#48]
That's too bad.  Of my many orders with Rainier, I had 2 issues.  They emailed me the return label while I was still on the phone, and shipping notice for a replacement was sent within a couple hours of that.  They didn't even wait for the return part.  Apples and oranges, I suppose, since they were order errors, and I have been fortunate enough to not have barrel issues, etc with any of mine (knock on wood)

Similar great experience with Primary Arms on a little hiccup.  There are some great vendors out there.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 7:12:34 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Del-ton does not make all of the barrel they sell according to their own web site.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Still they are responsible for their suppliers.  If Delton is gettting shitty barrels/extensions from their supplier they need to put a boot up their ass or find another maker.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:15:27 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

To me, if you put your brand on a product you sell, then you assume the liability for fixing it.  I get it (kinda) that if they vend FN branded barrels they may have you send the product to FN to make good on it.  But if it says Delton on it, it should not matter who manufactured it.  This is a Delton problem.  And shipping out flawed products on a brand new, first quality basis, means they ought to stand behind their stuff.  When a company wants you to assume the liability for they ship out that tells me they are not concerned with your customer service experience.  While that maybe a harsh synopsis, the thread I linked from the Delton page shows this is not the first time this has happened.  Maybe this is only the 2nd time ever it has happened.  If so, they need to hurry up and step up and prove us all wrong.  There does not appear to be urgency on their part, though.  

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top