Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2014 2:53:40 AM EDT
I'm going to form 1 a Colt receiver from specialized armament and have them build me a mk18. which of these 2 receivers should I use. It seems the LE receivers are no longer being produced

Colt M4

or

Colt LE carbine

ETA: mods feel free to move to mk18 thread,  meant to post this there
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 3:51:54 AM EDT
[#1]
I would go with the Colt M4A1 lower
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 3:56:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

For sure, no question in my mind this bad boy is what you want when it comes back in stock.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 4:32:24 AM EDT
[#3]
If you really meant Mk18 then you want a Crane receiver.

CQBR would be an M4A1.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:50:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

For sure, no question in my mind this bad boy is what you want when it comes back in stock.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wasn't sure if they would get any back in stock in the near future.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:58:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Neither, save the money and buy a Non-Colt RR M16.

The Colt M4 is best of the two choices (M4A1 would technically be more accurate but they are sold out) and was what i was planning to use on my MK18 but ended up saving the money and getting a transferable M16 instead. I would not go with the law enforcement one tho, looks lame IMO.

BTW, that first 30rd mag dump, which takes all of about 2 seconds, is an insane experience.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:01:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Just but a damn Daniel Defense MK18
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:03:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
(Not a real Mk18, but it plays one on the internet)
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:07:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

this
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:08:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty much my thoughts. I am a Colt whore regardless of what the flavor of the month seems to be or what we are told to not like around here
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:08:50 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Hmmm... they won the contract what, 3 years ago?

ETA: I could be wrong but I thought it was publicized somewhere

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:09:11 AM EDT
[#12]
::shrug::

Maybe it's because I'm not and never have been an LEO, but I hate the "Law Enforcement Carbine" rollmark on the older LE6920s for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is the fact that it's just plain ugly...

This of course does not stop me from having several and on Form 1s as well, but if I were starting over from scratch, I would exclusively be using "M4 CARBINE" and/or "M4A1 CARBINE" marked lowers and would pass on any "Law Enforcement Carbine" marked lowers, especially since many vendors seem to think they're worth a premium because they're "out of production," and particularly if I was going to register one as an SBR.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:10:12 AM EDT
[#13]

You can go here and see thousands of pages of us arguing about which receiver is "best"...when there really is no argument at all.

Seriously, that and the Block II threads are good to refer to if you can separate the wheat from the chaff.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:13:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

You can go here and see thousands of pages of us arguing about which receiver is "best"...when there really is no argument at all.

Seriously, that and the Block II threads are good to refer to if you can separate the wheat from the chaff.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

yeah i get a good laugh out of all of the arguments. The mk18 has become more common and can be found in all shapes, sizes and colors with almost any accessory or attachment on it.  IMO people should spend a little less time cloning and a little more time shooting, far too many rifles without a spec of dust on them.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:20:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Why not buy a factory colt SBR for the basis of the build?
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:40:22 AM EDT
[#16]
I used a Knights Armament ambi lower.

Not sure why the upper looks like a different color than the lower, maybe its the shitty iPhone pic.

Perfect finish match in real time.

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:41:39 AM EDT
[#17]
It is a lower what does it matter.

Or go buy a transferable lower if you want exact copy.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:52:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

yeah i get a good laugh out of all of the arguments. The mk18 has become more common and can be found in all shapes, sizes and colors with almost any accessory or attachment on it.  IMO people should spend a little less time cloning and a little more time shooting, far too many rifles without a spec of dust on them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I must protest.  If anything, the MK 18 is getting rarer with VBSS units rebarreling their MOD 0s with 14.5" M4 barrels, and they've always tended to be relatively consistent within a limited range.  

You seem to be referring, rather, to the 10.3" CQBR URG for the M4A1 which comes in the variety you mention.  

Does this "clone" have enough dust on it?  

FWIW, OP - somewhere under that spray paint is a "Law Enforcement Carbine" marked lower.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:10:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have thought about buying another 6921 and having it rebarreled to 10.3" . That may end up being the best way. Wouldn't that also get me around the engraving requirement?
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:32:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I must protest.  If anything, the MK 18 is getting rarer with VBSS units rebarreling their MOD 0s with 14.5" M4 barrels, and they've always tended to be relatively consistent within a limited range.  

You seem to be referring, rather, to the 10.3" CQBR URG for the M4A1 which comes in the variety you mention.  

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff502/augeekim/8934E191-244B-4ED9-B923-9813B469DD9F_zps1dsthwoc.jpg

FWIW, OP - somewhere under that spray paint is a "Law Enforcement Carbine" marked lower.  

~Augee
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff502/augeekim/8934E191-244B-4ED9-B923-9813B469DD9F_zps1dsthwoc.jpg

~Augee

haha yeah, looks great to me!

Im not in the military so i dont have first hand experience but i was under the impression that mk18 rifles were becoming more common ie being seen outside of special forces units. Obviously there are some key requirements of a mk18, such as a 10.5" barrel, ris rail and what not but there are quite a few pics out there of soldiers using them with sights, stocks, lights and other accessories that many people consider not to be acceptable.

But then again quite a few of those pictures are of air soft players, i have to admit those guys take looking authentic very seriously!
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:43:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Get a "M4A1 CARBINE" marked Colt lower. I found one on EE a few days ago. Maybe post an ad in the WTB section?
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 8:43:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Neither, save the money and buy a Non-Colt RR M16.

The Colt M4 is best of the two choices (M4A1 would technically be more accurate but they are sold out) and was what i was planning to use on my MK18 but ended up saving the money and getting a transferable M16 instead. I would not go with the law enforcement one tho, looks lame IMO.

BTW, that first 30rd mag dump, which takes all of about 2 seconds, is an insane experience.
View Quote

I don't know if it is due to over exposure or not but mag dumps seem to be a novelty that very quickly lose entertainment value . I can do mag dumps every day during firearms classes.. so can the agents training but most opt to use semi in order to increase accuracy and scores.

As far as receivers go... buy a Walmart Colt and start from there if it must say Colt. Why wouldn't that work?
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 9:57:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
As far as receivers go... buy a Walmart Colt and start from there if it must say Colt. Why wouldn't that work?
View Quote

This, a sensible option. Swap in the Colt 10.3 bbl from SAW by yourself when the stamp comes back. You could even sell the unfired 16" BBL to help offset the $530 price tag of the factory 10.3 barrel.

I went about a similar plan, it satisfied my inner Colt whore. Shoots good too, you'll need an H2 or H3 buffer :)

IMG_3168 by splittiebus66, on Flickr
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:32:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
haha yeah, looks great to me!

Im not in the military so i dont have first hand experience but i was under the impression that mk18 rifles were becoming more common ie being seen outside of special forces units. Obviously there are some key requirements of a mk18, such as a 10.5" barrel, ris rail and what not but there are quite a few pics out there of soldiers using them with sights, stocks, lights and other accessories that many people consider not to be acceptable.

But then again quite a few of those pictures are of air soft players, i have to admit those guys take looking authentic very seriously!
View Quote

There's gobs more information in the MK 18/CQBR thread, but the short version is this:

Your use of "MK 18" is incorrect, though extremely common.  

Very few if any actual MK 18 MOD 0s were ever used by actual SOF, though they're frequently issued to forces attached to SOF (like Navy Combat Camera, etc.).  

The MK 18 is a complete weapon system built by NSWC-Crane, usually, but not always on refurbished M16A1 lower receivers, and issued as such.

On the other hand - the 10.3" barreled upper receiver groups (URG) are intended as supplements/accessories for the already issued and already MTOE M4A1 Carbines to replace the 14.5" URGs, referred to as the "Close Quarters Battle Receiver" (CQBR).  

What that means is more or less, that MK 18s are not "beginning to be seen" out of SOF - they've always been outside of SOF.  

Besides that - certainly not every unit that uses MK 18 MOD 0s configures them exactly the same way, while some units give more or less latitude to individual service members in accessorizing and configuring their individual weapons.  It does appear that more different types of units are beginning to receive MK 18 MOD 0 systems, however, from what I can see, they seem to be in relatively small numbers.  Meanwhile, one of the largest users used to be Navy ship-board VBSS - but they have been re-barreling their MK 18 MOD 0s with 14.5" barrels, reducing a large part of the "overall population" of 10.3" MK 18 MOD 0s in active circulation, making it pretty hard to really say whether actual MK 18s are becoming "more common" or not than they used to be.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:44:56 PM EDT
[#25]
You might be better off buying a complete rifle (with a M4A1 marked receiver) and selling off the parts you don't need as opposed to buying a stripped receiver from SAW for $400.

http://www.slickguns.com/product/colt-le6920-socom-m4-a1-556mm-carbine-1499-free-shipping
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:50:07 PM EDT
[#26]
This lower

With this upper

Or this upper

I seem to like the mk18 more than the CQBR
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 2:40:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
You might be better off buying a complete rifle (with a M4A1 marked receiver) and selling off the parts you don't need as opposed to buying a stripped receiver from SAW for $400.

http://www.slickguns.com/product/colt-le6920-socom-m4-a1-556mm-carbine-1499-free-shipping
View Quote

Buds has that one for about $1100 I think. Do they for sure have M4A1 rollmarks? The stock photos on their and even Colt's website look like just M4 Carbine markings?
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 2:48:28 AM EDT
[#28]
Whoever said to buy an M4A1 marked rifle and part it out is spot on....when I was interested in a MK18 clone thats what I was going to do..

I never got around to doing so, though a MK18 is on my short list..I think today I would just get a DD rifle thats already built and be done with it (though I am not not a fan of the laser engraving DD does).
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 3:25:02 AM EDT
[#29]
if you want a MK18 with the FSB,KAC rail,LMT rear sight, aimpoint in wilcox mount, then you will want an A1 style lower like from nodak spud....
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 2:25:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Buds has that one for about $1100 I think. Do they for sure have M4A1 rollmarks? The stock photos on their and even Colt's website look like just M4 Carbine markings?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It should, but I would confirm. Also, as long as you don't take posession from your ffl, with most retailers, you can send it back if it is not to your satisfaction.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 12:54:34 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I have thought about buying another 6921 and having it rebarreled to 10.3" . That may end up being the best way. Wouldn't that also get me around the engraving requirement?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If it's a registered 6921 SBR, then yes.

If it is a 6921 with a permed FH, then you will need to engrave & Form 1.

With eForm 1's having an average of 30 days vs. the 4 month + wait of a paper Form 4 (+/- Form 3 if your SOT can't/doesn't stock the 6921), I'd get a 6920 and eForm 1 that sucker.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 1:47:07 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Pretty much my thoughts. I am a Colt whore regardless of what the flavor of the month seems to be or what we are told to not like around here
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I find it funny when some still refer to companies like DD, BCM, KAC, etc as "flavors of the month."

That originally referenced "month" was over how many years ago now?
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 3:29:49 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I find it funny when some still refer to companies like DD, BCM, KAC, etc as "flavors of the month."

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I can see if someone's going for that specific clone look Colt makes sense.

I didn't go that route. I went with the most functional lower I could find, which was KAC.

As far as it being a "flavor of the month" brand? That's just flat out fucking stupid.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 4:24:27 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

With eForm 1's having an average of 30 days vs. the 4 month + wait of a paper Form 4 (+/- Form 3 if your SOT can't/doesn't stock the 6921), I'd get a 6920 and eForm 1 that sucker.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what I've about decided to do. Form 1 it have Ident engrave it, buy mk18 upper from SA and call it done. Also will have a nice "spare" upper out of the deal
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 4:26:10 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

That's what I've about decided to do. Form 1 it have Ident engrave it, buy mk18 upper from SA and call it done. Also will have a nice "spare" upper out of the deal
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bought a 6933 when eForms were down. Kinda wish I had done what I suggested to you, but I just haaaad to have a factory Colt SBR...
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 5:37:53 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I used a Knights Armament ambi lower.

Not sure why the upper looks like a different color than the lower, maybe its the shitty iPhone pic.

Perfect finish match in real time.

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s107/5POINT56/photo3_zps25659ed6.jpg

View Quote

Man, that thing is fuckin purdy.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top