Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/29/2014 9:02:58 AM EDT
I recently swapped a gun that I wasn't using much for a franken AR that came with this heavy 24 inch bull barrel upper-

I currently have the 16 inch range/RDS AR covered and may eventually set up a sig brace pistol, but I was thinking of using this AR for something of a more intermediate range with a scope for varmint and plinking use (I am honestly not a precision paper puncher kind of guy- two closest ranges are 100 yds max).  Current 1:8 24 inch barrel is WAY heavy for much woods toting, I'd be happier with something in the 18-20 inch range and a rail would be nicer than the tube currently on there.  Any suggestions for getting there with the least expense?  Should I send the .92"  bbl off to get cut/recrowned and slimmed forward of the gas block or part it out and look for a good deal on something in the 20" range?

Any assistance or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 9:18:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Re profile barrel  andcut barrel to 20inches and make a SDM /
SPR type  rifle out of it.

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:38:16 PM EDT
[#2]
If that barrel shoots well have it fluted, threaded, lightened, shortened.  If not buy what you want.  No reason to spend money on it if it shoots poorly.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 6:03:54 AM EDT
[#3]
I honestly haven't put glass on it or had it to a range to see how it does at any distance- my local guy will cut and slim for around $100, thinking that might be the way to go, thanks for the input!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top