Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2014 5:01:04 PM EDT
Just received my NIB BCG today.  Upon inspection I notice a couple of small nicks in the gas key.

Are there acceptable nicks, what problems would they cause, should I return the BCG?

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd43/don4231/IMG_0019.jpg

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 5:14:13 PM EDT
[#1]
it will still run, but I would stone them out

If your worried send it back
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:02:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Return +1
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:11:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks like it was dropped or something. I'd either return it or try to get a percentage of your purchase price back.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:29:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Return that asap. Where did it come from?
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:33:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:39:30 PM EDT
[#6]

There ya go, OP.

If it were me, I'd just stone them to get rid of the burr.  I'm not too worried as long as it isn't something that's going to affect function.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:44:09 PM EDT
[#7]
The gas tube did that when it hit the key at an angle. You can clearly see the marks are semi-circular.

Make sure the barrel nut is positioned so it doesn't torque the gas tube to one side.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:28:23 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm assuming that you have not used it yet? If so send it back, if you have  check your gas tube for damage.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:38:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Yep, definitely would get returned if it were mine!
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:46:32 PM EDT
[#10]
This is a brand new PSA NIB coated BCG, and has not been installed in my AR.  If I were to stone it, wouldn't the NIB coating be removed from the stoned area?  Assuming stoning the burs out would remove the NIB coating, what problems might this cause later, such as the start of the coating to flake off?

The BCG looks really nice with the exception of this one issue, very little machine marks and a very smooth finish.  If I return it would you suggest I have PSA ship another, if not then what would you suggest in the same price range.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:05:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This is a brand new PSA NIB coated BCG, and has not been installed in my AR.  If I were to stone it, wouldn't the NIB coating be removed from the stoned area?  Assuming stoning the burs out would remove the NIB coating, what problems might this cause later, such as the start of the coating to flake off?

The BCG looks really nice with the exception of this one issue, very little machine marks and a very smooth finish.  If I return it would you suggest I have PSA ship another, if not then what would you suggest in the same price range.

View Quote

So...that is what PSA is sending out as "new".  

That has clearly been used  and damaged by a gas tube mis-alignment and then returned and....re-sold!

I will get a lot of flak from the fan boys but that does not surprise me from PSA.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:07:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The gas tube did that when it hit the key at an angle. You can clearly see the marks are semi-circular.Make sure the barrel nut is positioned so it doesn't torque the gas tube to one side.

View Quote

This..^^^.  

Clearly not "new".
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:08:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

NiB is an unnecessary marketing gimmick.  Take some needle nose and straighten that out, stone, or leave it.  As long as your gas tube goes in, which it will because it is not obstructed, it won't matter either way.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:10:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

NiB is an unnecessary marketing gimmick.  Take some needle nose and straighten that out, stone, or leave it.  As long as your gas tube goes in, which it will because it is not obstructed, it won't matter either way.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you kidding??  The OP purchased a new bcg and gets that and you tell him to keep it....really???

What the hell is wrong with you??
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:12:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

OP....return that piece of garbage and get a refund.

Then...buy a bcg from a reputable vendor....one that wont try and pass off an obviously abused then returned and re-sold part.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:13:20 PM EDT
[#16]
I would think if it was damaged after NIB coating the coating would be damaged in the area of burr's, perhaps I am wrong.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:35:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Are you kidding??  The OP purchased a new bcg and gets that and you tell him to keep it....really???

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is nothing wrong with me.  I understand the mechanics, I know it won't cause a problem, and I am not bothered by the things that hurt modern day metrosexual, heterofaggot, mall ninja gun owner's feelings.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:48:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

There is nothing wrong with me.  I understand the mechanics, I know it won't cause a problem, and I am not bothered by the things that hurt modern day metrosexual, heterofaggot, mall ninja gun owner's feelings.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah ok.

You understand the mechanics of paying good money for crap.  That maybe ok for you but don't advise members here to accept what is obviously NOT a "brand new" part unless you want to send him a check to cover what he spent.

If you cant converse without juvenile insults maybe the mods should suspend you until you grow up a little.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:48:29 PM EDT
[#19]

I'd ask for a replacement.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:48:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol

OP did you order this one?

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/15607/category/333/
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:51:25 PM EDT
[#21]
This is the one I got

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/palmetto-state-armory-5-56-full-auto-nickel-boron-bcg-with-logo.html
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:51:52 PM EDT
[#22]
I have the same BCG and it did not arrive looking like that.  Did you call PSA?  If you haven't already, give them a call.  I am sure they will replace it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:03:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let us analyze the OP.
Quoted:
Just received my NIB BCG today.  Upon inspection I notice a couple of small nicks in the gas key.
Are there acceptable nicks, what problems would they cause, should I return the BCG?

He asked if the nicks are acceptable.  Those nicks mean nothing.
He asked what problems they would cause.  They won't cause any problems.
He asked if he should return them.  I would not return it.  I would leave it as is, or maybe clean the nicks up.
That is my opinion, based on the reason I stated.  "There is nothing wrong with me. I understand the mechanics, I know it won't cause a problem, and I am not bothered by the things that hurt modern day metrosexual, heterofaggot, mall ninja gun owner's feelings."

Other people might waste their time and return it.  Knowing how long PSA takes, and knowing how much their customer service sucks, at most, I would ask for a replacement key and run this one as is.  

Coming from the guy that can't even figure out where to look for gas block set screw dimples on a barrel, what logical reason do you have telling him to send it back?

Hey fellas, where do I find the treads on my tires?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:22:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
So...that is what PSA is sending out as "new".  

That has clearly been used  and damaged by a gas tube mis-alignment and then returned and....re-sold!

I will get a lot of flak from the fan boys but that does not surprise me from PSA.
View Quote

If someone gives you flak...it's probably because they work for PSA.  I've seen more crap that never should've left the factory from them than from DSA, R Guns, Model 1 Sales, and all the other bottom of the barrel brands combined.  Canted FSBs, misaligned feed ramps, gas ports too small, gas ports too big, gas ports drilled in the wrong location, wrong length gas tubes, you name it.  They're quickly becoming the Hi-Point of the AR world - millions of people have them, and the people who have them love them, but only because they don't know any better.

"We love PSA too!"
- gunsmiths
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:22:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well don't say anything bad about psa , I'm banned from the ar basic fourms by Mr foumie mouth because I called psa junk, hey maybe it's there new line of so called blem gas keys , and for the guy that thinks is fine ? Da
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:26:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Let us analyze the OP.

He asked if he should return them.  I would not return it.  I would leave it as is, or maybe clean the nicks up.
That is my opinion, based on the reason I stated.  "There is nothing wrong with me. I understand the mechanics, I know it won't cause a problem, and I am not bothered by the things that hurt modern day metrosexual, heterofaggot, mall ninja gun owner's feelings."

Other people might waste their time and return it.  Knowing how long PSA takes, and knowing how much their customer service sucks, at most, I would ask for a replacement key and run this one as is.  

Coming from the guy that can't even figure out where to look for gas block set screw dimples on a barrel, what logical reason do you have telling him to send it back?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you nuts? Pay money for a damaged new product?  I suppose those are the new psa blem gas keys

Let us analyze the OP.
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:38:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And if you order a barrel from them and it is bent you can either jump up and down on it till it is straight again or drive over it with a compact car preferably a eastern block model
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:00:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Umm...because the OP purchased a "new" part...that's why.  What do some of you not understand about the concept of buying something that is supposed to be new??  

And...some of you are pretty free with other peoples money.

I may not be an expert on gas blocks but I can spot some one with 17 posts making what are clearly trolling remarks.

A waste of time returning a defective part?  Ok...troll on.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:58:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Your right , unless you have a ton of post you don't know what your talking about, as if you have nothing else in life but to spend on a forum posting means your a troll
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:09:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Umm...because the OP purchased a "new" part...that's why.  What do some of you not understand about the concept of buying something that is supposed to be new??  

I may not be an expert on gas blocks but I can spot some one with 17 posts making what are clearly trolling remarks.

View Quote

It's clear that you are after nothing but perfection with your weapons, and while that's fine. (however the thread about asking for a different scope because it took 18 clicks of windage to zero was a bit - at least that was figured out) Many of us don't mind tiny, insignificant things such as this. It's something that can be taken care of in a matter of minutes, with absolutely no harm done to anything. Why bother packing it back up, driving to a UPS drop off, and waiting for PSA to send another one? Really, it's not defective. I doubt any damage would occur if he chose to run it as is. It's just preventative to stone it/flatten those spots.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:32:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

It's clear that you are after nothing but perfection with your weapons, and while that's fine. (however the thread about asking for a different scope because it took 18 clicks of windage to zero was a bit - at least that was figured out) Many of us don't mind tiny, insignificant things such as this. It's something that can be taken care of in a matter of minutes, with absolutely no harm done to anything. Why bother packing it back up, driving to a UPS drop off, and waiting for PSA to send another one? Really, it's not defective. I doubt any damage would occur if he chose to run it as is. It's just preventative to stone it/flatten those spots.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its not about perfection.  Its just about getting what you pay for.

How many of us would accept a dented fender on a new car?  It still will function just fine right?

It also has nothing to do with weapon parts. I just believe in getting what I pay for.   I read so many posts that tell people "if it shoots then its GTG" .

I don't believe many here would feel the same about other purchases they make in their lives, why with weapon parts?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:37:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

And if you order a barrel from them and it is bent you can either jump up and down on it till it is straight again or drive over it with a compact car preferably a eastern block model
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is actually an example that I would recommend sending back.  Most barrels are off center to some degree, that is the main reason we have to use our sights to zero our rifles.  If one is bent so badly that it takes extreme adjustments to the properly installed sights or optics, or if you run out of adjustments and still can't match point of aim with point of impact, then you are talking about an actual functionality issue.  The funny thing is, you can't see that.  You actually have to use the part to find the problem.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:42:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

How many of us would accept a dented fender on a new car?  It still will function just fine right?

It also has nothing to do with weapon parts. I just believe in getting what I pay for.   I read so many posts that tell people "if it shoots then its GTG" .

I don't believe many here would feel the same about other purchases they make in their lives, why with weapon parts?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is not a car, it is a rifle.  If the appearance bothered him, he would have sent it back without even asking us.  Instead, he came on and asked if there was functionality problem which should cause him to send it back.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:45:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I don't believe many here would feel the same about other purchases they make in their lives.
View Quote

That's actually not a very good analogy at all. More along the lines of scratched/swirled paint. Which may look bad, but with a little time/effort comes out perfect. On a new car, it's to be expected even.

Sure, getting what you pay for is the goal. However when the problem is so simple and will be finished in minutes, why would you ever subject yourself to the shitty communication at PSA + the ship time back + the wait, and then finally the ship time back, just to have something that functions the exact same as it would if you took a minute to fix it. You only give yourself more hassle and headache. PSA is a good vendor, but they have their issues from time to time. Most of it in the communication and shipping department.

I've argued with you and helped you a few times before - your posts lead me to believe that you are still rather new at the AR platform. I have a feeling that once you learn more about it and have multiple rifles, you will understand why so many people post "if it shoots then it's GTG". If it functions within what is stated by the manufacturer, it IS GTG.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:38:26 AM EDT
[#35]
No you don't get it , no reputable company with a actual quality control department would send that out , and for you to suggest the OP fix it himself is laughable ,
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:45:58 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
No you don't get it , no reputable company with a actual quality control department would send that out , and for you to suggest the OP fix it himself is laughable ,
View Quote

Read everything I have written.  Think about it.  Let it sink in.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:49:33 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really? Use a defective new part, or some hand fitting required?  Yes you are way smarter than me, thanks for your wisdom and time
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:53:47 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Really? Use a defective new part, or some hand fitting required?  Yes you are way smarter than me, thanks for your wisdom and time
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Take everything in context and you will learn.  There is no fitting required.  I have seen some smashed where they would prevent the gas tube from entering.  That would definitely warrant replacement.  As of now, you are just refusing to look at things differently and blowing hot air.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:10:58 AM EDT
[#39]
Hear is what I have learned about this forum and people like you, you don't care about quality,  you will defend a company that sells ( new parts that are worse than most used parts ) and if It shoots the first time you pull the trigger it's all good , sorry I don't agree , any gun I own is not going to be built with second hand low quality parts , and if I order a new part it will be new not bent or dented,  , so defend low quality all you like because you have alot of post so in your mind you are right , enjoy your junk bye
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:58:03 AM EDT
[#40]
I have a shot a lot of PSA stuff and am a fan of high quality low cost alternative to most fan boys in here (COLT< BCM< NOVESKE<DD<ETC) they are all the same parts wise, but in this instance I agree with sending it back. You don't go buy a new car wilth a small dent in the door and tell the company oh thats ok it still drives and has 0 miles on it. That is just absurd to suggest the OP fix it himself.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 8:15:38 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

That's actually not a very good analogy at all. More along the lines of scratched/swirled paint. Which may look bad, but with a little time/effort comes out perfect. On a new car, it's to be expected even.

Sure, getting what you pay for is the goal. However when the problem is so simple and will be finished in minutes, why would you ever subject yourself to the shitty communication at PSA + the ship time back + the wait, and then finally the ship time back, just to have something that functions the exact same as it would if you took a minute to fix it. You only give yourself more hassle and headache. PSA is a good vendor, but they have their issues from time to time. Most of it in the communication and shipping department.

I've argued with you and helped you a few times before - your posts lead me to believe that you are still rather new at the AR platform. I have a feeling that once you learn more about it and have multiple rifles, you will understand why so many people post "if it shoots then it's GTG". If it functions within what is stated by the manufacturer, it IS GTG.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't believe many here would feel the same about other purchases they make in their lives.

Yes...you are correct.  I do appreciate the help and advice you have offered in other threads.  And yes...I am fairly new to the platform.  

When it comes to new purchases, I just don't think weapons/parts should be treated any different from any other new purchase we make in our lives.  It should be free from any noticeable defects.  Not many of us would accept this with other things we buy in life but for some reason some do when it comes to this industry.

As for your other statement concerning PSA....I just would not roll the dice buying from PSA.  I guess in the end you are correct in that if you do decide to do business with them then you already know going in what to expect and therefor going thru the hassle and headache of returning it and dealing with their customer service is something you forgo or deal with.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 9:13:01 AM EDT
[#42]
Personal attacks.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top