BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/22/2014 8:47:53 AM EDT
Thinking of replacing my BCG on my DPMS was maybe thinking a Bravo Company of Rainer BCH looking for advice on which to go with.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 8:58:17 AM EDT
[#1]
BCM. Always.

/thread
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 8:58:30 AM EDT
[#2]
As far as I know they are still but might be moving out of MN

I know walmarts around here are still selling oracles
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 8:58:50 AM EDT
[#3]
... and what does either of those two do special that the one you have doesn't?
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 9:00:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
... and what does either of those two do special that the one you have doesn't?
View Quote

^This.

What's wrong with the one you have?
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 9:18:18 AM EDT
[#5]
I would stick with what you've got, unless you're having problems with it or have a resonable expectation that you're going to have problems with it.  My DPMS BCG does great, shows little signs of wear, and gets slicker every time I clean it.

If you do need/want to change it, BCM carries a great reputation, but the cost (189ish?) is up there.  I would be fine with any C158, HPT, MPI bolt in a 8620 carrier that was sold by a reputable company.  Spike's, Rainier, PSA, DD, LMT and some others.  I know you can get a PSA for under $100 right now.  I also like my WMD BCG.  It's easy to clean with the NiB finish, but not necessary to have.  I have no experience with 9310, but I bet they're okay as well, and AIM has them on sale for under $100 pretty regularly.

I currently have a Spike's, a WMD, and a DPMS BCG in rifles and all run fine.  My friend is using some Colts, a LMT, a DD, and a LBC BCG and all of those are very reliable.

Another option for you, if you're concerned about breakage, is to buy a bolt and keep it on hand.  The bolt has the highest probablility of failure in a BCG, iirc.  You can pick up a decent one of those for $40 or less.

I would not try to fix something that isn't broke, though.  If nothing else, save that money for optics, ammo, or another rifle.

Just my .02.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 10:32:16 AM EDT
[#6]
If it's working fine, why replace it?

Only reason I replaced the one in my Colt, was I wanted a full-auto weight bcg in it, with a shrouded firing pin.  Seemed logical to me.

But if you want one... AIM NiB for ~$100.

Link Posted: 5/22/2014 10:56:50 AM EDT
[#7]
MY BCG has a hairline crack in it I noticed on my last cleaning.  I have taken the bolt completely out of the gun and will not use it again for fear of it breaking on me.  That is why I am looking for another one.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 11:05:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
MY BCG has a hairline crack in it I noticed on my last cleaning.  I have taken the bolt completely out of the gun and will not use it again for fear of it breaking on me.  That is why I am looking for another one.
View Quote

You may also want to contact DPMS.  They may replace the bcg.  I'm not 100% sure of their warranty at the moment, although I know it's basically 3 years, but they may be flexible depending on the problem.  Even if you go with a different one from here on out, it wouldn't be bad to have a backup.

As stated in my prior post above, the good news is you have a lot of good choices.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 11:32:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'd like to see that. Why don't you post a pic of it for us?
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 1:59:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If it's working fine, why replace it?

But if you want one... AIM NiB for ~$100.
View Quote

AIM -- best deal in town.  Quality, value, and customer service
Link Posted: 5/23/2014 9:08:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/23/2014 9:28:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Where's the popcorn eating animation?
Link Posted: 5/23/2014 10:02:21 AM EDT
[#13]
This, I have to see.
Link Posted: 5/23/2014 10:08:30 AM EDT
[#14]
My new M4 all Colt build has a slightly used BCM from the EE. Have two other BCM BCG's in rifles, and three Spikes. I prefer BCM, prefer the price of Spikes. I looked a few days ago, the BCM was on sale for 169 ish, yup currently 169.
Link Posted: 5/23/2014 10:35:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Show the crack man!
Link Posted: 5/23/2014 10:47:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Was the crack in the bolt or carrier?
Link Posted: 5/23/2014 11:05:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Bravo Company would be my choice.
Link Posted: 5/23/2014 11:42:51 AM EDT
[#18]
OP show pics your BCG may not have a crack at all it may just look that way.

Anyway for your DPMS I would throw one of those BCGs from Aim Surplus in that bad boy

Either way you kind of owe it to the DPMS rep to show a picture of the BCG. IMO
Link Posted: 5/23/2014 12:14:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Still trying to learn how to upload photos and it is definitely a hairline crack in the thin part of the bolt carrier where the small piece fits thru.
Link Posted: 5/23/2014 12:28:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/23/2014 7:23:29 PM EDT
[#21]
WMD Guns NIB coated.

Vince
Link Posted: 5/23/2014 7:35:41 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I would stick with what you've got, unless you're having problems with it or have a resonable expectation that you're going to have problems with it.  My DPMS BCG does great, shows little signs of wear, and gets slicker every time I clean it.

If you do need/want to change it, BCM carries a great reputation, but the cost (189ish?) is up there.  I would be fine with any C158, HPT, MPI bolt in a 8620 carrier that was sold by a reputable company.  Spike's, Rainier, PSA, DD, LMT and some others.  I know you can get a PSA for under $100 right now.  I also like my WMD BCG.  It's easy to clean with the NiB finish, but not necessary to have.  I have no experience with 9310, but I bet they're okay as well, and AIM has them on sale for under $100 pretty regularly.

I currently have a Spike's, a WMD, and a DPMS BCG in rifles and all run fine.  My friend is using some Colts, a LMT, a DD, and a LBC BCG and all of those are very reliable.

Another option for you, if you're concerned about breakage, is to buy a bolt and keep it on hand.  The bolt has the highest probablility of failure in a BCG, iirc.  You can pick up a decent one of those for $40 or less.

I would not try to fix something that isn't broke, though.  If nothing else, save that money for optics, ammo, or another rifle.

Just my .02.
View Quote
Just a heads up, the BCM is $169 now.

Link Posted: 5/23/2014 9:44:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Why pay $169.00 to $189.00 for BCM, Spikes, AIM or whatever when I'm seeing real new unfired Colt M16 BCG's on the EE for $190.00 delivered. I have more than six less than a dozen AR rifles and over time have converted them all over to Colt BCG's. Never any issues. Afaik they are the best.
Link Posted: 5/24/2014 8:06:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Why pay $169.00 to $189.00 for BCM, Spikes, AIM or whatever when I'm seeing real new unfired Colt M16 BCG's on the EE for $190.00 delivered. I have more than six less than a dozen AR rifles and over time have converted them all over to Colt BCG's. Never any issues. Afaik they are the best.
View Quote

You can get a spikes for $140 shipped on aim....  And I'm sure it functions just as well as the colt.

I am very interested in seeing a pic. You could also just post a link to it
Link Posted: 5/24/2014 8:19:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Many Discussion group posts seek to achieve validation from others for decisions already made. Just sayin'.
Link Posted: 5/24/2014 9:40:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Because BCM uses all American made parts in their BCG's just like Colt and fallows the same exact testing guidelines as colt. They also use upgraded extractors and extractor springs.
Link Posted: 5/24/2014 10:14:34 PM EDT
[#27]
I had a roll pin fall out of a dpms bolt. It was the pin that holds the ejector in. I called dpms and they wanted me to send the whole upper. I just bought a new bolt and sold the gun. I hate sending stuff back if it breaks it gets sold and doesn't get another chance. I told dpms that I'm sure of the problem. The hole for the roll pin was too big. I said all I needed was a new bolt. They wouldnt send me one without sending the whole upper in. It was like they didn't trust me. I emailed pics of the problem and even posted it in their industry forum then they deleted it and blocked me from their industry forum. Yah real professionals
Link Posted: 5/25/2014 3:35:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Still trying to learn how to upload photos and it is definitely a hairline crack in the thin part of the bolt carrier where the small piece fits thru.
View Quote

Any luck with the photo? I'd really like to see your hairline crack.
Link Posted: 5/25/2014 4:29:25 PM EDT
[#29]
A lot of people including myself get caught up in adding aftermarket parts such as the "better" f/a bcg's because they won't run right unless we have em.  A s/a BCG will serve you just fine for dirty work so if for some reason the op got caught up in finding a reason to explain himself to upgrade don't bother and get yourself a bcm, rainier, spikes etc.  you do get the benefit of the f/a carrier in which the gun was designed for and get hp and mp tested bolts but your dpms will serve you just fine if it really "isn't" broke.
Link Posted: 5/25/2014 8:24:47 PM EDT
[#30]
If your current bolt isn't hp/mpi tested, and your worried about the oem bolt breaking, you should just buy a AIM Surplus bolt carrier group. You can get the phosphate version for 89.99 shipped. Also, look at PSA's premium bolt carrier group--usually the same price as AIM when its on sale.
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 10:17:00 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 12:12:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

You can get a spikes for $140 shipped on aim....  And I'm sure it functions just as well as the colt.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It might function as well but I'm more into longevity and best quality. I'm sure you are correct though in that I'd never notice the difference in shooting one or the other. I'm sure it would function just fine....
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 12:14:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Because BCM uses all American made parts in their BCG's just like Colt and fallows the same exact testing guidelines as colt. They also use upgraded extractors and extractor springs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really? What is different about BCM extractors to be labeled "upgraded"? Also you could add that the billboard advertising they use on the right side of their carriers is hard to beat. I mean Colt can't hold a candle to BCM in that regard.
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 5:12:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lots of guys asking for photo of said hairline crack.  It can be a bit tricky to figure out how to post photos, so here you go:

How to post photos on AR15.com

Go down to #3 and then pick a photo hosting service, sign up and let us see what you are talking about.
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 8:26:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

We offered to repair your rifle 100% free of charge, you declined the offer.

We headspace each bolt to the barrel verifying it will be safe and correct if a bolt needs to be replaced it is done at the factory, headspaced and test fired.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I had a roll pin fall out of a dpms bolt. It was the pin that holds the ejector in. I called dpms and they wanted me to send the whole upper. I just bought a new bolt and sold the gun. I hate sending stuff back if it breaks it gets sold and doesn't get another chance. I told dpms that I'm sure of the problem. The hole for the roll pin was too big. I said all I needed was a new bolt. They wouldnt send me one without sending the whole upper in. It was like they didn't trust me. I emailed pics of the problem and even posted it in their industry forum then they deleted it and blocked me from their industry forum. Yah real professionals

We headspace each bolt to the barrel verifying it will be safe and correct if a bolt needs to be replaced it is done at the factory, headspaced and test fired.

you tried to give a completely reasonable resolution to a problem?! how dare you!

Link Posted: 5/27/2014 8:41:10 PM EDT
[#36]
I have tried to upload but I can not seem to get it to work.  I ended up getting a new BCG for my AR and all is well.  Thanks for all the recommendations from everyone.
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 8:47:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I have tried to upload but I can not seem to get it to work.  I ended up getting a new BCG for my AR and all is well.  Thanks for all the recommendations from everyone.
View Quote

You upload to a hosting site like Photobucket.

Please post it when you can.  Would like to see the crack
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 10:53:07 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 10:54:28 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

So what you are telling us is that you will not provide a picture of the said bolt?

Also you never contacted DPMS with the serial number of the rifle or any history of it so we could take care of your issue at no charge.

Don't take this the wrong way but we are all a little confused here...  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So what you are telling us is that you will not provide a picture of the said bolt?

Also you never contacted DPMS with the serial number of the rifle or any history of it so we could take care of your issue at no charge.

Don't take this the wrong way but we are all a little confused here...  

+1
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 2:24:37 PM EDT
[#40]
I am sure you would of taken care of it without issue, I just did not want to send it back and go thru the hassle of boxing it up sending it off waiting for it to be repaired then returned.  I use this gun in a my Three gun shoot and I did not want to be without and miss my match this weekend.  It was just quicker and more economical for me to purchase a new one and have it overnighted to me.  I paid $89.95 for a mil spec complete BCG and $24 for overnight express.  Nothing against you or your Company DPMS.  I just did not want to take the time to go thru all of that.  

If you still want the bolt I will gladly mail it to you and you can replace it with a new one, then that way I will have a spare.  Thanks
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 3:43:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 5:02:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Yes please send it to us!

PM'd for details

We will report to everyone once received.
View Quote

Post pics.  OP is ignoring us
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 6:28:38 PM EDT
[#43]

Aim
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 8:11:25 AM EDT
[#44]
You get a chance to upload the pic yet? I saw your other post with the pics of the PSA rifle so you must understand how to do it now.

Please upload it, we would love to see the crack.
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 8:16:01 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok I mailed it Yesterday via USPS Priority Mail you should have by Tuesday or Wednesday.  I could not find my original receipt though.  I bought it about 2 years ago from a gun show dealer. It was new in the box when I bought it.  I did include the serial number with bolt.  Thanks again.
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 8:18:42 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
You get a chance to upload the pic yet? I saw your other post with the pics of the PSA rifle so you must understand how to do it now.

Please upload it, we would love to see the crack.
View Quote

I would but I have already mailed it back to DPMS.  They will upload the pics when they get it.  Thanks...  So you saw my pic of my recent build what do you think and be honest I am always trying to improve and will be building a .308 AR next...
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 1:24:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 3:15:32 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
I would but I have already mailed it back to DPMS.  They will upload the pics when they get it.  

View Quote
WTF?

Even dpms hasn't heard from you, I'm betting it was a scratch you thought was a crack

ETA after searching your name, defiantly betting on newbi error

Link Posted: 6/22/2014 9:27:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
USPH2,

We have yet to receive your bolt. Can you track the package?
View Quote

Hey DPMS, did you guys ever receive the faulty bolt?
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 10:29:59 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top