Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/23/2014 7:12:50 AM EDT
I have been looking and looking for a 16inch barrel with a rifle length gas system. Does any company make these, and will it even eject properly and reliabley? I could find a 20in bbl and get it cut down, but like I asked would this even work?
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:14:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Reliability issues - won't work well.

ETA:  Depending on what you're wanting to accomplish, you could look into Dissipator uppers.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:15:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Shortest rifle length system I have ever seen was 18"
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:16:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Not enough barrel after the gas port for reliable operation.

If you want rifle gas go with an 18" barrel.
If you want a 16" barrel go with midlength gas.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:18:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Voodoo has a 16.5" with rifle gas.  I do not have first hand experience with them, but have heard they perform well.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:42:11 AM EDT
[#5]
I had a setup like that from Del-Ton. It took about 50 rounds to break in but after that it ran fine.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:46:24 AM EDT
[#6]
From what I have seen most commercially purchased dissy's are feaux.  I do think delton sells a real one.  And if you get one with a properly sized port it wil be reliable.  Somebody mentioned Voodoo.  I do not have a voodoo yet but at somepoint in time i will try their quality.  They seem to be putting out a decent product from what I have READ.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:53:23 AM EDT
[#7]
DPMS sells one. A big, heavy sucker. I used one for awhile, it ran on everything, even Tula.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:55:01 AM EDT
[#8]
better yet, go 14.5 with a midlength.....

seriously however, 16 and mid is the way to go
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:04:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Your looking for a Dissipator barrel.  Both Delton and DPMS sell factory dissipator barrels with rifle gas systems.

I've got two, one cut down rifle barrel and the second one a factory Delton barrel.  They can be ammunition sensitive if you don't open the gas port, but generally work great on any brass cased ammunition without opening the gas port.

ETA: AR's work well in many configurations.  I've got the following AR based systems:

20" rifle gas 5.56

20" rifle gas 5.56

20" rifle gas 5.56

18" rifle gas 5.56

18" rifle gas 5.56

16" rifle gas 5.56

16" rifle gas 5.56

16" mid gas 6.8

14.5" mid gas 5.56

12.5" mid gas 6.8

16" carbine gas 5.56

16" carbine gas 5.56

15.4" carbine gas 5.56

10" carbine gas 5.56

8" pistol gas .300

7.5" pistol gas 7.62x39

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:14:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Don't let people fool you into thinking it won't work on a 16" barrel. Those people should probably take a look at an M14 or M1 gas system before they say that it won't work. Heck, even a10.3" barrel runs reliably with a carbine gas system. If the port is correctly sized, it will work.

It's just not an extremely common design. That's why it's hard to find.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:26:57 AM EDT
[#11]
On one hand while the 10.3" carbine gas has about the same dwell time as a 16" with a rifle gas, the 10.3" has a higher port pressure and they're still know to be kinda touchy.

I figure you could always just get an 18" rifle gas and cut it down if you can't find what you want.  I know people use the 16" rifle gas successfully, but you do somewhat narrow the reliability window a bit. I can only really see where the trade off may be worth it in something like a competition gun using a specific load, but I'm having trouble seeing what it offers that a midlength doesn't for social use.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:36:34 AM EDT
[#12]
dissipator usually uses a carbine gas system I thought?
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:53:50 AM EDT
[#13]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

dissipator usually uses a carbine gas system I thought?
View Quote
Depends on who builds it.  DPMS and Delton have always built true dissipators.  Most other companies use a carbine gas system.

It all comes back to port pressure, port size and a bit of dwell time.  True dissipators are more likely to fall on the undergassed side, while carbines are more likely to fall on the over gassed side.  Buffers can also come into play as your changing the amount of gas needed.

I've got a factory FN 20" barrel on a rifle buffer with and FN BCG.  It has choked on cheap steel case ammunition before. (failure to fully cycle) These are milspec components that are more reliable than the M4, but put ammunition in it that's underpressure and it can fail to cycle properly.

I generally prefer a larger gas port with shorter dwell time.  This gets your pressure up quickly and provides the energy needed to cycle the weapon, but quickly drops off so you don't have too much pressure resulting in extractor issues.

My 10" SBR with a carbine gas system has had no issues cycling full pressure 5.56 and underpowered wolf and tula ammunition.  I use an H2 buffer and I've ran it suppressed and unsuppressed without issues.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:57:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Not a good idea.  

Even after opening up the port, it is ammo sensitive.

Better is midlength gas system.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:05:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Not a good idea.  

Even after opening up the port, it is ammo sensitive.

Better is midlength gas system.
View Quote

This,.........

OP.

May I as why you are trying to source a rifle length gas system 16" barrel?
Any thoughts at to why a mid-length would not work?
Or,.....are you just trying to use a 20" shortened to a 16"?
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:35:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Don't let people fool you into thinking it won't work on a 16" barrel. Those people should probably take a look at an M14 or M1 gas system before they say that it won't work. Heck, even a10.3" barrel runs reliably with a carbine gas system. If the port is correctly sized, it will work.

View Quote

This.  Seen a gentlemen at the range with one it was a soft shooters also.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:41:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

How long is the gas path in an M14 or M1 piston sytem compared to the ~12" rifle length gas system in an AR?  

A 10.3" AR runs because of a huge gas port and a ~7" long gas path, and is very hard on internal parts because of it.

Look at the net times for a 16" rifle gas barrel and a 10.3" carbine gas barrel.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_66/266108_How_it_Works__The_AR_gas_operation_and_how_everything_works_in_harmony_.html
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:53:27 AM EDT
[#18]
I have a DTI 16" rifle gas barrel I just dug out today...gonna build it this week. I am curious how it will function....I was going to go with an A2 stock setup on it....but in order to play with buffers I think now I will run a carbine RE.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:31:29 PM EDT
[#19]
let me know how it functions.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:36:53 PM EDT
[#20]
I've had 17 and 18" guns with rifle gas systems. Unless it's a game gun for warm weather shooting using fresh lube or suppressed full time I wouldn't go shorter.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:17:05 PM EDT
[#21]
A lot of good advice flying around in this thread.  I like that.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:04:52 PM EDT
[#22]
I would be using suppressed almost 90% of the time. Would that make it more reliable?
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:16:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I would be using suppressed almost 90% of the time. Would that make it more reliable?
View Quote

That changes the equation quite a bit.  
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:27:55 PM EDT
[#24]
I have 2 DTI barrels. they are a little piggish so I machined one down to .675 under the handguard. both run flawless on brass ammo. the machined one has an armalite clamp on FSB and rifle extension. occasionally short strokes with steel. the piggy has the pinned FSB and and carbine extension. hasn't had a problem with steel.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:58:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Palmetto state armory carries the voodoo barrel with the rifle gas system.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/upper-parts/barrels/voodoo-innovations-16-5-rifle-length-evo-ultra-lite-750-barrel.html
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top