Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2014 9:34:05 PM EDT
I'm looking for recommendations for a good an ambidextrous safety selector. I'd really like one that is lower profile on the left side so that it's less annoying for my trigger finger (I shoot left handed). Price, quality, and ease of install are other factors. Recommendations from other left-handed shooters especially appreciated!
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 9:36:21 PM EDT
[#1]
       Battle Arms Development or Battle Arms Development or Battle Arms Development. There is also Battle Arms Development, depending on what your exact needs are.

I'm left handed. Everything I own gets a Norgon ambi mag release and a Battle Arms Development Short Throw Selector with two short levers

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 9:41:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
       Battle Arms Development or Battle Arms Development or Battle Arms Development. There is also Battle Arms Development, depending on what your exact needs are.  

I'm left handed. Everything I own gets a Norgon ambi mag release and a Battle Arms Development Short Throw Selector with two short levers
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 9:48:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I am a huge fan of the Noveske/Magpul STS ambi safeties.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 10:15:37 PM EDT
[#4]
BAD ASS ambi safety selectors are about as good as they get....you can choose whatever combo you like as far as the levers go, standard, short, thin, short & thin, hybrid and a few others as well. It really is a great product.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 10:24:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

I would pass on these and go with this instead:

Battle Arms Development
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:43:33 AM EDT
[#6]
What's everyone's favorite lever combo? I'm a rightie.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:47:01 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:25:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Not sure why this hasn't been brought up yet but.
Battle Arms Development
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:26:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

I like the short normal on thumb side, and short/thin on my trigger finger side. Lower profile on the trigger side to avoid my fat fingers
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:45:36 AM EDT
[#10]
I wish they would make some levers that resemble a mil-spec safety.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:49:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Get the Bad Ass with a short thin and an end cap for the trigger finger side and the standard long for thumb side. You get to pick three with the kit. Swap out the trigger side to see what you like best. Other than that, the V7 60 degree ambi kit keeps the trigger side out of the way.

Before spending money on the Norgon ambi mag release, do you even drop the mag with your left hand? I got a couple of them in a combo kit with the Bad Ass and have found myself not using them. Guess I'm half lefty???
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:59:56 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View Quote
Standard and standard short when ever I pick one up.

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 6:01:41 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View Quote
+1 I find the "mil-spec" safety faster to go on safe vs the BAD ASS.YMMV.

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 6:11:41 AM EDT
[#14]
For the $, the short throw Noveske/Magpul is decent.  If you want low profile selectors then its not the one you want.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:29:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'm looking for recommendations for a good an ambidextrous safety selector. I'd really like one that is lower profile on the left side so that it's less annoying for my trigger finger (I shoot left handed). Price, quality, and ease of install are other factors. Recommendations from other left-handed shooters especially appreciated!
View Quote

I too shoot left handed and like the small throw lever on the left side so it doesn't interfere with my trigger finger. I bought a Colt take off ambi selector on the EE. Also bought several battle arms. My Colt selector has a more positive click. My battle arms selectors are mushy and sometimes stick in between settings. I may have tightened the BAD selectors too much? IDK.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:36:18 AM EDT
[#16]
I really like the cheap standard lever ambi selectors, they are about $30 or so.  I also have one version of the noveske and it's OK, but I'm back to just getting the $30 cheap-o ambi selector.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:36:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

DPMS, KAC, LMT and more make and have been making an ambi safety with military style levers for a long time.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:42:18 AM EDT
[#18]
I use the BAD-CASS safety in every AR i own
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:52:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

DPMS, KAC, LMT and more make and have been making an ambi safety with military style levers for a long time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, I know this. They are ok at best. Using the BADASS internal part with mil-spec looking levers would be cool. Then again, I don't really care for ambi controls. Not needed IMO.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:04:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I too shoot left handed and like the small throw lever on the left side so it doesn't interfere with my trigger finger. I bought a Colt take off ambi selector on the EE. Also bought several battle arms. My Colt selector has a more positive click. My battle arms selectors are mushy and sometimes stick in between settings. I may have tightened the BAD selectors too much? IDK.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here.. Milspec selectors have a good snap to them. My BA selector seems mushy in comparison.. maybe it needs to break in
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 9:10:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Same here.. Milspec selectors have a good snap to them. My BA selector seems mushy in comparison.. maybe it needs to break in
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine are the same way. I much prefer my milspec style ambi selector to my BADASS.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:31:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks for the recs y'all.

I think $57 is more than I want to spend on a safety selector right now, especially one that people are describing as "mushy." I too like the snappiness of the mil-spec selector. Might go with a more traditional ambi selector for now.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:43:21 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Thanks for the recs y'all.

I think $57 is more than I want to spend on a safety selector right now, especially one that people are describing as "mushy." I too like the snappiness of the mil-spec selector. Might go with a more traditional ambi selector for now.
View Quote
KAC but its over $50.

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:21:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Nothing mushy about my BAD safeties.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 6:16:20 PM EDT
[#25]
KAC, Battle Arms Development, or LMT is what I primarily use and would recommend.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 6:22:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 6:58:45 PM EDT
[#27]
The basic ambi Stag selector has served me well in several rifles with combined thousands of rounds in them.  They are a good value (i.e. cheap) but still give a nice firm "click."

That said I am switching to something new in my new rifles.  I don't like buying products from Ban States if there is a good substitute available from a free state.  Sounds like a good excuse to spend the $$$ on a BADASS or Noveske.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:37:44 PM EDT
[#28]
I haven't seen anybody mention it so I'm going to recommend one of the selectors from Battle Arms Development.

I have the regular 90* versions, and I prefer the long thin levers as I practice shooting from both sides.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:47:20 PM EDT
[#29]
I run the BAD-ASS in one rifle and the BAD-CASS in the other.  Both of mine are fairly new (bought within the last four months) and they are very positive with no mushy feeling at all.  I'm a lefty and run both with the standard on the right side and the short on the left.  

Also don't forget about an ambi charging handle.  I was amazed at how much nicer it was to have them.  I run the BCM mod 44's but the Rainier Raptor gets really great reviews also.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:54:25 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Long standard short thin on the weak side.  Thinking of getting a beefier lever for the strong side...my MATEN is so damn big that I can't swipe the selector to fire I reallly have to flip it.

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 9:04:29 PM EDT
[#31]
None of my Battle Arms safeties feel mushy.  I like the short/thin on the left and a hybrid on the right.  It sucks that they cancelled their lever exchange program, especially since retailers don't allow you pick which levers come with your kit and they are kind of expensive to purchase separately.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:31:10 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:56:04 AM EDT
[#33]
I've got a Stag Arms ambi safety on my AR, it may not be as tactical or high speed as the battle arms but it works just as well and I think I paid $15 for it

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 1:05:45 PM EDT
[#34]
I like the Rock River standard ambi. It has a nice allen wrench on the inside that I blue loctite. It never comes off. Cheap and works well. I use those on all my rifles.

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=384
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 1:15:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Own 3 badass short throw safeties, none of which are mushy.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 1:16:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Try the Colt ambi safety. Same mil spec lever and feel as the non-ambi units.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 1:24:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Can't believe no one else is recommending these. Love the ones I have and you can't beat the price for a short throw ambi selector.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 3:23:39 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

The lever exchange program is alive and well, it's just not free anymore.  I reckon for every two levers we sent out there was one that was never returned, either the customer forgot about it, or simply decided to keep it.  We know about it because we still get emails from customers that just realized they haven't sent back the lever from more than a year ago, and with some that were requested to return the lever, replied that they decided to keep it, which was not a part of the exchange program.
The fee to for the exchange is $5.50, which doesn't cover all of our cost.  When the lever is returned, it can no longer be sold as new, and the program does take time and resources to run, so it's never been free to us  It's still far less expensive than forcing folks to buy new levers.
View Quote

Duffy, you guys make top level shit....I got NO problem paying for another lever.....your stuff rocks!!!  In fact, I've already bought one spare flippie from Brownell's!!!
Speeeeaking of which...check this out.

']
This massive, mass driving monster was a little something I built this weekend.  I am using a standard left side flippie and a short thin right side flippie.  In the prone or from the bench I have to either FLIP the flippie with a snappy motion to get the safety into the fire position.  There is NOTHING wrong with the safety at all, this gun is just....a monster!!!  So if I flip the flippie slowly, I have to use my trigger finger on the right side to fully disengage the safety because my thumb loses contact with the flippie at about 60 degrees of throw.
Here is my question:  Do you...or could you make a right side lever of the same length ( maybe 1/8" longer but no more ) but add a bit of thickness on the TOP of the lever? (when it is in the "SAFE" position)  This would give me ( and other folks ) just a bit more contact distance that would allow us to fully disengage the safety from prone or the bench without having to change our grip on the weapon.
Thanks for making an awesome product and keep up the great work!!!

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:17:37 PM EDT
[#39]
I just installed a Bravo Co. one on my Colt.  Works and looks great.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:22:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

This thread should have been closed and locked after this response.  Battle Arms Development sets THE standard for AR safeties.  They do cost a little more, but there's a reason for that.  I prefer the Short Throw (ST) model, but it's even pricier and It's not compatible with all lower receivers.  There's a work around but it voids the warranty.

I shoot right handed primarily, but I still run standard levers on each side.  I put the gun through a 2 day class a few months back and I never even noticed the standard size lever on the right side of the gun, although it would have probably been in the way if I had a standard 90° degree model.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:43:12 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

View Quote
I have one and think the 60* arc and differential detents are ideal but wish it was built and shaped like the BAD-CASS.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:50:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:19:57 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Thank you for your support!

We've been toying with the idea of a longer lever for CA customers that are forced to use these awful stocks which make safety levers hard to use unless they're longer

View Quote

I like it!!!  I'll keep my eyes open!!!

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:26:43 PM EDT
[#44]
I love the bad safety but I tried the new one from v7 on my latest build and that one is pretty damn nice too. Only issue I have with it is the fact that your stuck with the lever sizes that they give you with it as they don't offer any other levers (yet anyway, I hope they eventually do offer other sizes and/or shapes that interchange). It's around a 60° throw with very nice positive clicks in both directions, I highly recommend both the b.a.d. and the v7 safeties both are very high quality pieces.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top