Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2014 8:53:49 PM EDT
Hello my fellow AR enthusiasts!

I need your opinion on what buffer and spring is this? I don't have a scale this small to weigh it.
Here's a few pix's

The spring seems to be coated, and the buffer has a slight "1" on it?
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 9:00:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Probably an H buffer since it has a "1" on it
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 9:02:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Any ideas on the spring?
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 9:08:14 PM EDT
[#3]
only black ones I have personally seen were included in a UTG buttstock kit.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 10:32:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Run it.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 11:20:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Run it.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 11:43:20 PM EDT
[#6]

Looks to me like a 9mm carbine buffer,
with a chrome silicon recoil spring.

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 12:32:56 AM EDT
[#7]
the spring looks like one of those higher quality chrome silicon springs:

http://damageindustriesllc.com/product/enhanced-spring-recoil-buffer-action-carbine

idk about the buffer
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 12:52:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 2:49:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Take it to the post office and ask then if they will weigh it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 12:10:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

http://www.rainierarms.com/img/shop/product/03f143b8dea60de4d7205e861e7d7e05.jpg

View Quote

The OP's spring is not a 9mm buffer. OP's spring & buffer looks like one of those Chinese offerings, but I could be wroing.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 12:13:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The OP's spring is not a 9mm buffer. OP's spring & buffer looks like one of those Chinese offerings, but I could be wroing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.rainierarms.com/img/shop/product/03f143b8dea60de4d7205e861e7d7e05.jpg

This is what I was thinking
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 1:47:13 PM EDT
[#12]
The reason why I posted it up is because I received this with a UBR stock purchase and I have a standard carbine buffer and spring on my blackout build that I would like to change it to a heavier buffer and spring. Since I'm in CA I can't run subsonic only supersonic and I'm over gas'd and I would like to run a heavier buffer to make it cycle softer.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 1:49:34 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

The reason why I posted it up is because I received this with a UBR stock purchase and I have a standard carbine buffer and spring on my blackout build that I would like to change it to a heavier buffer and spring. Since I'm in CA I can't run subsonic only supersonic and I'm over gas'd and I would like to run a heavier buffer to make it cycle softer.
View Quote
You can't use subsonic ammo? ? ?

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 2:17:18 PM EDT
[#14]
you can totally use subsonic.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 3:53:05 PM EDT
[#15]
count the coils.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:17:26 PM EDT
[#16]
All of the black coated springs that I have seen were Chinese made. They usually have a few more coils than the RRA springs and are a little stronger. I started using them first thinking that they were inferior and have decided that I like them more than the standard ones.  The buffer is a 9mm buffer. An H2 or H3 works better than a 9mm buffer Ina 5.56 rifle because of the reciprocating weights inside. An H2 or H3 will make an overgassed rifle run much softer.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:22:21 PM EDT
[#17]
why not weigh it? take it to the grocery store next time and put it on one of their scales if you dont have one at home. did that to figure out that i had a carbine buffer.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:26:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
All of the black coated springs that I have seen were Chinese made. They usually have a few more coils than the RRA springs and are a little stronger. I started using them first thinking that they were inferior and have decided that I like them more than the standard ones.  The buffer is a 9mm buffer. An H2 or H3 works better than a 9mm buffer Ina 5.56 rifle because of the reciprocating weights inside. An H2 or H3 will make an overgassed rifle run much softer.
View Quote

The OP's buffer is not a 9mm buffer.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:31:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
count the coils.
View Quote

38 coils
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:58:24 PM EDT
[#20]
OP: Where did you purchase the stock set in the first place? That might help us help you figure this out.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:07:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Just note that Magpul UBR stock DOES NOT come with a recoil buffer or spring. It should only contain the stock and tube. You're to provide the buffer/spring.

If you bought it used then that would explain it. Just figured I'd drop this in in case you bought a NEW UBR stock and it came with a buffer.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top