Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2014 5:39:11 PM EDT
Looking at purchasing my 1st AR, which is a better built rifle? I can't tell from the pics or descriptions, but it appears the S&W doesn't have a fwd. assist or dust cover, correct? The gun will be used mainly for plinking & predator hunting & I won't need sights as I'll be mounting a scope.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 5:42:50 PM EDT
[#1]
SW MP
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 6:03:33 PM EDT
[#2]
M&P
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 6:06:45 PM EDT
[#3]
M&P
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 6:10:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Another vote for M&P......I have been running the 15T for five months now, which is basically a Sport with FA, Dust cover and crappy UTG FF....not one issue, 2,000 rounds and counting.  Be sure to shop around, you can find these online at Bobs, and local gun shows for around $600.  If you can, look into the 15T (found mine for $800), because it already has the LP gas block and you wouldn't have to cut off the delta ring or A2 if you ever wanted to FF.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 6:27:22 PM EDT
[#5]
M&p only because If I remember right it's a chrome lined barrel. That being said my first ar was a DPMS Oracle and I put somewhere between 8000 and 12000 rounds through it mixed brass and steel case without one issue. Great gun and was very accurate.

Get the one you want. You will be happy with either
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 6:32:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I've got an Oracle and tricked it out some and love it. No issues what so ever.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 6:32:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Do you need two threads on the main page to help you make up your mind?
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 6:33:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I prefer the Oracle.  Simply because it has forward assist and dustcover.  I realize those things don't really matter, but they bug me.  Either one will be a great rifle.  I have a heavily modified Oracle that I bought bone stock brand new.  No problems to speak of.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 2:15:37 AM EDT
[#9]
M&P

The "sport" model is the only one that S&W makes that doesn't have the forward assist and dust cover. They do that to keep the cost down on an otherwise good, solid rifle. If you really want those features you can always pick a different model. Being that this is your first AR, the Sport would be a great choice to start with. You're going to want to buy another one eventually anyway, you can get all of your "bells & whistles" then.  

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 4:35:44 AM EDT
[#10]
S&W has nitride barrel, a big plus.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:04:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
M&p only because If I remember right it's a chrome lined barrel. That being said my first ar was a DPMS Oracle and I put somewhere between 8000 and 12000 rounds through it mixed brass and steel case without one issue. Great gun and was very accurate.

Get the one you want. You will be happy with either
View Quote

this makes no sense to me whatsoever.  You had a rifle that ran flawless, which is the primary concern for end users, plus you said it was accurate and yet you say to get a different rifle simply because it's got chrome lining.  So what if the m&p didn't run as well, wasn't as accurate, would you still say go with it because of the chrome?  I just don't see how you go from a known experience to an unknown based on something so trivial unless you are running full auto and mag dumps often?
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:50:29 AM EDT
[#12]
and it's not chrome lined.....it's melonite
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 1:52:08 PM EDT
[#13]
M&P. Low-buck, high-reliability intro to the AR world. When (like me) you become an AR addict, you can cannibalize it for your own builds. I've got two complete rifles and two extra uppers now all wearing some of the Sport's parts, and the only thing left over is the Magpul rear sight.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 9:08:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Picked up my first AR today, the M&P Sport for $573 to my local FFL dealer----got it on line at grabagun.com---great price and yes its a melonite barrel w/1-9 twist, no fwd. assist or dust cover...but from what I researched, its a great entry level AR---the other two in the running were the DelTon Sport at $625 and the Windham WW15 @ $730.....as one of ya'll said earlier...this isn't my last AR......

and this is my first post on the AR site.....greetings ALL
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 12:21:58 PM EDT
[#15]
I looked at a sport but decide to go with a ORC M&P it does have the chrome lined barrel and BCG, also since your not going to need sight it is ready for your scope out of the box . academy sports has the ORC ( optics ready ) for around 800. I love mine no issues except I can't shoot it nearly enough!
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 1:53:18 PM EDT
[#16]
S&W 100%
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:22:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Picked up my first AR today, the M&P Sport for $573 to my local FFL dealer----got it on line at grabagun.com---great price and yes its a melonite barrel w/1-9 twist, no fwd. assist or dust cover...but from what I researched, its a great entry level AR---the other two in the running were the DelTon Sport at $625 and the Windham WW15 @ $730.....as one of ya'll said earlier...this isn't my last AR......

View Quote

A buddy of mine at work picked up an M&P Sport a few weeks ago via slickguns.com.  $598 total price.  Excellent deal.  He's been pretty happy with it.

I bought a Del-Ton Sport in December 2012 right when the panic started.  Total $722.  It's been a great rifle, my only AR to date and is my go-to weapon for whatever happens.  You would not have gone wrong with the Del-Ton.

That said, If I had seen these future prices, I might've gone your route and bought a S&W.  You got a great deal.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:35:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Neither.

Save for something else, or build a quality stick.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 6:30:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
M&p only because If I remember right it's a chrome lined barrel.
View Quote

It's actually Melonite treated, which is even better than Chrome lined. Very uncommon for an AR in that price range.

So with that said, M&P Sport without a doubt.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:55:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

It's actually Melonite treated, which is even better than Chrome lined. Very uncommon for an AR in that price range.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
M&p only because If I remember right it's a chrome lined barrel.

not anymore I believe, the newer models are chrome

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:57:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

good for you, the reviews are excellent so enjoy
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:16:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Neither.

View Quote

Of the two, S&W.

However, I agree. Save your money and build something better for not much more.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:48:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Of the two, S&W.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Neither.

Of the two, S&W.

This is $615 for an entire rifle with a Chrome lined FN barrel, and a HPT/MPI bolt....with a Vortex Strikefire no less

You could build a rifle for $500 with better specs than the two rifles you mentioned.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top