Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/6/2014 2:08:25 PM EDT
So at the range I lets this other guy shoot my AR and it was doubling for him as it was for myself and my wife. It's a factory Daniel Defense lower, and this is not the first time it happened, but when I contacted DD a long time ago they told me it was accidental bump fire. I believed them since it has not happened till now.

When I got home I checked the FCG and it looks good, and thought to myself if I could make this trigger sort of "double" when I dry fire. So when I pull the trigger and slowly reset the trigger as if shooting for groups it releases the hammer 5 out 5 times, but if I quickly remove my finger the trigger resets fine and the hammer is not released. My wife also did this lil test with the same results.

I have not done anything to my DD lower, and it has around 5k rounds in 3 years.

ETA: Again mine only doubles when I slowly reset the trigger, and when I shot the other guys gun I tried to slowly reset his trigger but had no issues like mine.

ETA 4/22/14: I took my FCG out and stripped it then re assembled and still had the issue so I just bought a Geissele and now its done. I might give DD a ring and see if they want to look at it.

thanks for all the replies

Some photos

I am not trying to pull the trigger in the video, but just slowly resetting it.

Link Posted: 4/6/2014 2:43:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not see what you mean by doubling, do you mean that it is firing two rounds in rapid succession? At which point i would check the catch sear, if it is worn that may cause the problem, but i am unsure. I would also check the end of your firing pin, it maybe possible that it is slam firing if the pin has something extending the tip of it.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 2:57:25 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm not see what you mean by doubling, do you mean that it is firing two rounds in rapid succession? At which point i would check the catch sear, if it is worn that may cause the problem, but i am unsure. I would also check the end of your firing pin, it maybe possible that it is slam firing if the pin has something extending the tip of it.
View Quote
IT's hard to explain the "doubling" effect, but its not shooting twice with one trigger pull for sure.

I just know that when I slowly reset the trigger the gun goes off without me actually wanting to pull the trigger, but when I let my finger off the trigger it resets and does not fire if that makes sense.

Firing pin and BCG is all gtg as well.

Link Posted: 4/6/2014 4:08:55 PM EDT
[#3]
You just have a really light trigger pull.  I had one of those BIll Springfield trigger jobs that would do that.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 4:11:52 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

You just have a really light trigger pull.  I had one of those BIll Springfield trigger jobs that would do that.
View Quote
Kind of odd for a "mil-spec" trigger though. Dont you think?

ETA: I have shot Geissele's and other light triggers that did not have this issue.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 4:18:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Didn't hear the disconnector click at all. Does it have the spring installed?
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 4:20:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Let's see how good my memory is. The disconnect keeps the hammer from falling while the trigger is still held back. On your video the hammer is clearly falling when you release the trigger, so my bet is the disconnect is doing it's job. To be sure pull the trigger and hold it back. Pull back the charging again and see if the hammer follows the bolt. (keeping the trigger back the whole time). If the hammer doesn't release until you let go of the trigger you probably have a worn sear area on the trigger or hammer, I have seen this happen to guys that got a little crazy with stoning the triggers and just a bad trigger on even a new gun.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 4:22:15 PM EDT
[#7]
I would just replace the FCG asap. i'd say somethings up with the disconnector and or sear geometry.

Link Posted: 4/6/2014 4:23:07 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View Quote
Yes and it does click, but the trigger pull makes it hard to hear in the vid.

Link Posted: 4/6/2014 4:24:47 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Let's see how good my memory is. The disconnect keeps the hammer from falling while the trigger is still held back. On your video the hammer is clearly falling when you release the trigger, so my bet is the disconnect is doing it's job. To be sure pull the trigger and hold it back. Pull back the charging again and see if the hammer follows the bolt. (keeping the trigger back the whole time). If the hammer doesn't release until you let go of the trigger you probably have a worn sear area on the trigger or hammer, I have seen this happen to guys that got a little crazy with stoning the triggers and just a bad trigger on even a new gun.
View Quote
Hammer is not following the bolt, but releasing when I let go of the trigger slowly.

Link Posted: 4/6/2014 4:25:21 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I would just replace the FCG asap. i'd say somethings up with the disconnector and or sear geometry.

View Quote
Well now I have a good excuse to get a Geissele.

Link Posted: 4/6/2014 4:26:30 PM EDT
[#11]
The disconnecter spring could be upside down.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 4:30:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

This. A FCG is way too inexpensive and easy to swap out..then to otherwise dick around spending time trying to diagnosis whats exactly up. I had an AR double fire yrs ago. Swapped out the FCG asap and hasn't done it since.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 4:31:34 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
This. A FCG is way too inexpensive and easy to swap out..then to otherwise dick around spending time trying to diagnosis whats exactly up. I had an AR double fire yrs ago. Swapped out the FCG asap and hasn't done it since.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Not trying to dick around, but just want to know why its doing this.

Will replace FCG asap.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 4:34:44 PM EDT
[#14]
I'd install a  ALG ACT trigger........
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 4:35:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Will replace FCG asap.
View Quote

Hard to tell,.......could be wear on the disco or spring.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 4:39:10 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Will replace FCG asap.

But there is something up though correct?

Link Posted: 4/6/2014 4:40:00 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I'd install a  ALG ACT trigger........
View Quote
SHHH... My wife will make me get this since its cheaper, but I want a Geissele.

Link Posted: 4/6/2014 4:43:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Will replace FCG asap.

Well yes of course there is "something up".

The fix is to r&r the components.

If you really just must know the individual fail point, then swap one part at a time. Odds are it's a spring or a miss-cut dissconnector/sear.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 4:45:05 PM EDT
[#19]
It sounds like your disconnect is doing it's job or it would let the hammer fall when you re cocked. A rifle that fires when you don't intend it to is clearly not wanted. So yes you have your wish for a good excuse to upgrade the trigger group. I would replace all the parts while you were at just for the piece of mind knowing it is all new and good for a few thousand rounds. Most after market ones come complete anyway.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 4:47:04 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

If you really just must know the individual fail point, then swap one part at a time. Odds are it's a spring or a miss-cut dissconnector/sear.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Will replace FCG asap.

I'l pass on swapping part by part.

thanks for the info.

Link Posted: 4/6/2014 4:48:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Stupid question, maybe - but have you tried the "South Park fix?"  

Just yank the whole thing, disassemble it completely, reassemble, making sure to do it correctly, and see if it keeps doing it?

...sometimes you just need to unplug the damn thing and plug it back in...

If you have and/or if you do, and it still happens, I'd just replace the FCG and call it good.  Not worth fiddling with, IMHO.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 4:51:25 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Stupid question, maybe - but have you tried the "South Park fix?"  

Just yank the whole thing, disassemble it completely, reassemble, making sure to do it correctly, and see if it keeps doing it?

...sometimes you just need to unplug the damn thing and plug it back in...

If you have and/or if you do, and it still happens, I'd just replace the FCG and call it good.  Not worth fiddling with, IMHO.  

~Augee
View Quote
South Park fix.lol

I'll try it when I get off work tomorrow

thnks

Link Posted: 4/7/2014 1:05:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Based on the video I would inspect the sear at the bottom of the hammer where it engages the trigger. Separate the upper from the lower. Pull and hold the trigger back, followed by pushing the hammer down to where the disconnector grabs the hammer. While continuing to hold the trigger, and protecting the lower with your other hand to not cause the hammer to strike the lower around the bolt catch, slowly release the trigger to see what the sear at the bottom of the hammer is doing, and also what the disconnector is doing. I'm thinking either the trigger isn't engaging the sear at the bottom of the hammer, or the disconnector is binding up the hammer. This would seem to make sense being when you release the trigger rather quickly the trigger engages the hammer.

Link Posted: 4/7/2014 1:14:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 12:31:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Replaced it with a Geissele SSA after 3 long years.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 1:17:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

this is the million dollar question.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 1:21:23 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes it did.

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 1:32:41 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Wider part is facing down.

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:59:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wasted money, shoulda  gone with ALG as suggested

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 9:16:38 PM EDT
[#30]
I had an ALG defense Quality Mil-spec fcg in my first build and after about 200 rounds the doubling/rapid fire started to occur.

It would happen after the reset.

It happened a few times before I realized what was going on.

Pull the trigger, bang, let it reset then bang bang bang. (Jaw dropped, then laughter and smiles followed)

I called ALG, they sent me a new one. I sold it and got a Geissele SSA. End of problems.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 2:07:51 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 2:08:27 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I had an ALG defense Quality Mil-spec fcg in my first build and after about 200 rounds the doubling/rapid fire started to occur.

It would happen after the reset.

It happened a few times before I realized what was going on.

Pull the trigger, bang, let it reset then bang bang bang. (Jaw dropped, then laughter and smiles followed)

I called ALG, they sent me a new one. I sold it and got a Geissele SSA. End of problems.
View Quote
Interesting. Did ALG find out why it was doubling?

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 3:37:43 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Will replace FCG asap.

Maybe its just the angle of your pic but it looks to me that your Disconnect seems to be leaning hard right to me. Is there enough tension on it or is the Disconnect spring unsettled? Either way there is something going on with it from what your describing. I too like to find out exactly what is causing something rather than just simply replacing the whole FCG at once, just for my own knowledge bank...
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 3:58:49 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Maybe its just the angle of your pic but it looks to me that your Disconnect seems to be leaning hard right to me. Is there enough tension on it or is the Disconnect spring unsettled? Either way there is something going on with it from what your describing. I too like to find out exactly what is causing something rather than just simply replacing the whole FCG at once, just for my own knowledge bank...
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Will replace FCG asap.

Well I took everything apart and re installed correctly according to a bunch of vids and how to's. Call me lazy, but I did not feel like replacing parts to find out what went wrong.

I'll probably just send it in to DD and have them tell me what went wrong.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 2:19:15 PM EDT
[#35]
I have a dd lpk. Curious to find out what was wrong. Let us know if you send it in.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 2:26:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Haha nice... thats what i came to post:  Swap that bitch out.  Very nice

ETA:  this thread is pretty old.. missed that one
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top