Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/27/2014 8:31:10 PM EDT
Just thought I'd share my latest project:

Some of you may remember my circa-2003 "Kyle Lamb-ish" M4A1 clone build -

It was a lot of fun to build and shoot - but at the end of the day, it was just another 14.5" M4 clone with an EOTech, which some of you may or may not already know, I've got a couple of.  

Of course, the modified Armalite FF tube is way too interesting and unique of a piece of equipment to just let go unused - so I decided to rebuild it as an RO727 from about the 1997 timeframe.  

Before the M4 and M4A1 were type classified, the 7xx series M16A2 Carbines were purchased in some numbers COTS - commercial off the shelf - for use by SOF, and were quickly modified to meet mission specific needs, which would eventually evolve into the well known SOPMOD program.  

IMHO, these M16A2 Carbines are some of the most fascinating variants of the M16 FOW - before the M16 FOW was really considered "modular" and before there was as robust of an aftermarket for special purpose parts, SOF end-users and armorers were conceiving of and putting together a lot of interesting variations and modifying and repurposing parts that while they are now considered common were pretty "out there" in the 1990s.  

This photo from 1996 shows an RO727 in Bosnia with a similar modified FF tube (most likely a modified rifle-length Bushmaster V-Match) a VFG, light, and RDS (most likely an Aimpoint 3000 or 5000):

It's an interesting "what's old is new" phenomenon when you think about the fact that some end-users were using rifle-length free floated "modular" handguards with removable rail sections that could be placed by the end-user, where needed - in fact, before full railed handguards had really "caught on."  The SOPMOD program was "officially" introduced in 1995 - but the seeds of it can be seen even in photos from the first Gulf War in 1991 and photos of Norman Schwarzkopf's PSD as well as the RO723 and RO727 carbines used in 1993 during Operation Gothic Serpent - "Blackhawk Down" in Somalia.  

Other photos and documentation, some earlier, some later also show the use of Redi-Mags, OPS Inc. 3rd Model suppressors, and ACOGs as well.  

My build isn't necessarily 100% "period correct" for all the parts - but I tried to build something of a "representation" of a pre-SOPMOD, pre-M4A1 RO727 M16A2 Carbine that might have been used by SOF in around 1997, perhaps in Bosnia:

I was able to get an early, Colt gray RO727 upper with extended feedramps a while back from Morg308, so it seemed obvious to combine the RO727 upper and the modified Armalite FF tube.

The barrel is a standard Colt RO920 (M4 Carbine) 14.5" barrel - it has an "F" marked FSB, and a "late" M4 profile, rather than a 7xx series profile barrel and "(C)" barrel markings - but all those are concealed under the handguard.  

The lower is a standard Colt lower until I can Form 1 an NDS A1 profile gray lower - but the receiver extension and lock nut are the correct 7xx series carbine parts with a two-position receiver extension and round-hole lock nut, rather than a castle nut.  

The stock is a standard Colt N/1 marked CAR stock with the distinctive "sawtooth" style recoil pad, zip tied on, naturally.  

The single point sling and receiver mount is actually a USGI "silent" sling attached with a DD Burnsed loop - one of the earliest receiver end-plate designs, though the DD part itself is a little anachronistic.  The silent sling has been looped over itself into a single point sling.  

The pistol grip is a Lonestar Ordnance A2 grip - Lonestar Ordnance, though they're not really heard of much any more was one of the first companies, along with Jerry Drasen, Boonie-Packer, Quality Parts, Inc. (Bushmaster/Windham), and a few others to produce aftermarket parts for the AR15/M16 FOW.  

The light is a little bit anachronistic as well, as it's a slightly more modern (though not current) Surefire 660 "Classic" series weaponlight - the correct light would most likely be a Laser Devices (pre-Surefire Surefire) with the older bezel design.  Also anachronistic is the Model1 Sales extended charging handle latch which I intend to replace with a Badger Ordnance Gen. 1 eventually.  

The suppressor currently mounted, is of course, anachronistic - a Gemtech HALO - but it was more "retro" looking than my taupe NT4.  I would love to one day be able to find an authentic OPS Inc. 3rd Model suppressor - but that may be somewhat of a long-shot...

That being said, I did choose to use an A1 flash suppressor and some extra KAC shims I had lying around, rather than bothering with using an A2 comp and fiddling with a peel washer - moreover, the A1 has slightly better flash suppression, while the authentic OPS Inc. 3rd Model uses the barrel's muzzle threads, meaning that the flash suppressor would have to be removed to mount the suppressor anyways, making the untimed A1 a better choice if you have to remove and replace a muzzle device with any frequency.  

Eventually, I'd also like to get an Aimpoint 9000SC to put on a carry handle mount - another anachronism - but it "looks the part" of an Aimpoint 3000/5000 while having the advantage of being a currently supported model that I can send back for repairs (I've broken several Aimpoints - including a 3000 - interestingly enough, never broken an EOTech, but that's neither here nor there... ).  

Pistol, for anyone that's interested is just a simple M1911A1 clone - Remington Rand slide/barrel/upper assembly with an older Springfield Armory "NM" serial number frame and various USGI parts to replace the "incorrect" Springfield parts and an older Laser Devices/Surefire 610R pistol light.

~Augee

Link Posted: 3/27/2014 8:36:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Your knowledge base and the ideas you come up with always amaze me.  Love the rifle and I always look forward to your pics and the input you have on clone builds.
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 9:25:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Neat.

Ironically, Gray/Black SOF was using the 727 well after the M4A1 was being issued to White side SOF (SF, etc)
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 10:54:00 PM EDT
[#3]
badass!
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 12:16:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Love the hand guard!!!
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 4:33:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Interesting stick, along with a history lesson. Well done sir, and thank you for sharing.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 6:28:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Interesting stuff.  Could probably write a book on the subject, Augee.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 6:48:44 AM EDT
[#7]
nice Augee!
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 8:32:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Well, that's excellent.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 8:42:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Was the RediMag used in 1996?
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 10:02:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Was the RediMag used in 1996?
View Quote

The Redi-Mag is older than you might think -

GEN "Stormin'" Norman Schwarzkopf's PSD - 1991:

Mogadishu, Somalia - 1993:

Also for comparison purposes is a photo from ADCO comparing the lengths of the OPS Inc. suppressors:

The 3rd Model is the "period correct" version, but pretty hard to find - that being said, the 12th Model is similar in length to the 3rd Model, and I've already got a MK 12 MOD 0 clone and am slowly gathering parts for a MK 12 MOD 1 upper.  Ron Allen has since started Allen Engineering and is now marketing several of his OPS Inc. designs under his own company name, the 12th Model is the AE5M, which I hope to eventually get - I'm therefore also thinking of getting a 14.5" barrel profiled for the 12th Model under the Armalite FF tube, the hardest part would be trying to figure out how to get the collar secured under the tube, but I reckon I can figure something out if suitable motivated.  

That way I could move an AE5M between the MK 12 uppers and the RO727 upper - possibly try to find the OPS Inc. A1 muzzle mount device, rather than the comp.  

Plans plans plans...  

~Augee
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 2:21:07 PM EDT
[#11]
I think this is bad ass!
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 2:30:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Came out very nice and KISS.
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 5:13:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks - range report hopefully coming soon - been pretty busy with work and school.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 2:55:51 AM EDT
[#14]
oh shit!! just saw this...very nice
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 4:31:31 AM EDT
[#15]
heres the pics i got of the PSD guy in bosnia...shows that the tube is the aluminum type, and has a notch cut out of the top to slide the FSB into...

still not sure whats up with this guys carbine...seems to have a quad rail, FSB, and 11.5"? barrel..and i cant really see any type of optic/rear sight..

Link Posted: 5/26/2014 4:50:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Don't know if this pic will help, but this is the same period.  That's Pat. M. without his face hidden.

Link Posted: 5/26/2014 5:08:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

still not sure whats up with this guys carbine...seems to have a quad rail, FSB, and 11.5"? barrel..and i cant really see any type of optic/rear sight..
http://oi57.tinypic.com/141r9z.jpg
View Quote

No carry handle, no optic looks like. Maybe it's a cut down carry handle upper? I've heard of it, but have never seen one.
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 5:35:51 AM EDT
[#18]
That's awesome.
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 9:17:14 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

heres the pics i got of the PSD guy in bosnia...shows that the tube is the aluminum type, and has a notch cut out of the top to slide the FSB into...

http://oi58.tinypic.com/8wbn0k.jpg

http://oi62.tinypic.com/35032te.jpg

http://oi62.tinypic.com/fokswx.jpg

http://oi57.tinypic.com/141r9z.jpg

View Quote

Awesome pics man. I've never seen those before.

It looks like a KAC FF RAS variant in the pic to me. I'm not sure if any other quad rail was even available at that point. I wish someone had the capability to zoom and enhance these pics. I'd kill for some clean close ups of the the quad rail setup and the FF tube with FSP pocket.

Eta: +1 for the Euro hottie in the last pic

Link Posted: 5/26/2014 10:23:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Pretty neat seeing what to us now is normal everyday gear, but at the time was the latest and greatest of weapon mods.
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 10:43:36 AM EDT
[#21]
Awesome. I do remember the thread about the Kyle Lamb style gun..and this one is equally cool! Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 5/29/2014 2:34:55 PM EDT
[#22]

2 on the right are rocking the tubes it looks like..
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 6:30:51 AM EDT
[#23]
what is supposedly delta in tora bora..

Link Posted: 6/26/2014 6:01:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Bump.

With any luck, may have something new to add in not too long.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 12:26:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Excellent thread Augee. I really admire the rifles. Very original and interesting clone subject!
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 12:39:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 12:43:34 PM EDT
[#27]
great thread....I want a ff tube like that
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top