AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Mk 18 / CQBR (Page 369 of 1565)
Page / 1565
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 11:23:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MILSPEC556] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AR-Ryan21:

Do you have pics that illustrate how to differentiate an "HD" SU-230?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 1iviper:
Originally Posted By gaston4:
Can someone remind me of the benefits that the SU-230 HD has over the standard Elcan? I remember IM'ing a member on here awhile ago, and it was something to do with improved recoil resistance? I can't remember now

i believe the HD is only referenced to the su230-a.  the only differences are a stouter azimuth adjustment bar and red loctite applied to set screws on the azimuth adjustment.

this isn't just a socom model upgrade.   all spectre DR's received this update , even civilian models.

it was an update done after testing with the scar 17.  several companies updated optics after the scar testing , nothing wholesale but improvements for recoil resistance.  eotech went with the transverse mounted battery to improve recoil resistance , it was released as the exps and xps models.

It's lasered into the body on the right of the serial #

ETA damn you Gaston.

Gettin there SLOWLLLLLLLYYYYYY but surely.
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 11:26:44 PM EDT
[#2]

All the ones I've seen are engraved up by the SN as shown

http://imageshack.com/i/0706idj

View All Quotes
Can someone remind me of the benefits that the SU-230 HD has over the standard Elcan? I remember IM'ing a member on here awhile ago, and it was something to do with improved recoil resistance? I can't remember now

i believe the HD is only referenced to the su230-a.  the only differences are a stouter azimuth adjustment bar and red loctite applied to set screws on the azimuth adjustment.

this isn't just a socom model upgrade.   all spectre DR's received this update , even civilian models.

it was an update done after testing with the scar 17.  several companies updated optics after the scar testing , nothing wholesale but improvements for recoil resistance.  eotech went with the transverse mounted battery to improve recoil resistance , it was released as the exps and xps models.

that's an su230-a , 7.62mm reticle.

Link Posted: 6/14/2015 11:34:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I've decided I need an elcan.

And because pic thread:

Link Posted: 6/14/2015 11:34:49 PM EDT
[#4]

View All Quotes

Dont the 5.56s look the same too?
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 11:36:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I'll need to check my 230 later. Pretty sure there's no HD at the end of the serial number though.

I hate you all btw. I'm now gonna want an HD 230.
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 11:38:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I'll need to check my 230 later. Pretty sure there's no HD at the end of the serial number though.

View Quote

Haha no reason for it bro. You'll be hard pressed to break that Elcan, esp with 5.56/.223 recoil. I wouldn't even sweat it honestly.
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 11:42:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gaston4] [#7]

View Quote

Is yours SU-230 marked Ryan? Or I guess either of yours

And what reticles?
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 11:42:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DontBuryMe] [#8]
There's a demo-B (what most people in the EE would call "like new") grade Elcan SpecterDR FDE on the Sample List. $1900.

I've seen a couple of people asking about who has the best deals and what not.
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 11:46:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Movistar:

And because pic thread:

<a href="http://s902.photobucket.com/user/Fivejackmans/media/image.jpg4_zpsuz2wmf5t.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i902.photobucket.com/albums/ac228/Fivejackmans/image.jpg4_zpsuz2wmf5t.jpg</a>
View Quote

What brand/color spray did you use on this? I dig it, alot.
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 11:48:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CountryHam] [#10]
I haven't posted here in a while

Link Posted: 6/14/2015 11:53:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By MILSPEC556:

View All Quotes

And because pic thread:

<a href="http://s902.photobucket.com/user/Fivejackmans/media/image.jpg4_zpsuz2wmf5t.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i902.photobucket.com/albums/ac228/Fivejackmans/image.jpg4_zpsuz2wmf5t.jpg</a>

Thanks man. The upper and rail were a mix of Krylon Khaki and Krylon  Brown camo paint that a mixed in a sprayer. The lower is just straight Krylon khaki camo paint.  I use the gun a lot and so the natural wear pattern is what I like.
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 11:55:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Anyone find tan/ brown paint that sticks to a can?

Thinking about getting a small thing of cerakote to spray on and do a few mag dumps to cure it...
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 11:55:23 PM EDT
[#13]

Thanks man. The upper and rail were a mix of Krylon Khaki and Krylon  Brown camo paint that a mixed in a sprayer. The lower is just straight Krylon khaki camo paint.  I use the gun a lot and so the natural wear pattern is what I like.
View All Quotes

And because pic thread:

I like the color of your mix on the upper alot, makes me wish I had a sprayer to mix! I'd redo mine in that color.
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 11:56:47 PM EDT
[#14]

View All Quotes

here's the other side of the optic that gaston posted , not my pic.  notice where i've circled , you can see the larger diameter azimuth adjustment bar.  in the smaller circle you can see a bit of the red loctite from the set screws.

any spectre dr with this azimuth adjustment bar is known as a gen 3b , i don't believe they laser "HD" on them anymore since all spectre dr's have the update.  unless you have a full auto scar 17 i think any specre dr from a gen2 up is a great optic.

Link Posted: 6/15/2015 12:00:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By pbjunkiee:

Thinking about getting a small thing of cerakote to spray on and do a few mag dumps to cure it...
View Quote

Not krylon or rustoleum... Even if baked on

Link Posted: 6/15/2015 12:00:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By pbjunkiee:

View Quote

use the air dry cerakote for high heat applications
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 12:02:13 AM EDT
[#17]

I like the color of your mix on the upper alot, makes me wish I had a sprayer to mix! I'd redo mine in that color.
View All Quotes

And because pic thread:

I got one of these at the local paint store for 6 bucks

http://t.homedepot.com/p/Preval-9-oz-Complete-Spray-Gun-267/202533738/

Here are the other pics from the set tonight

Link Posted: 6/15/2015 12:05:32 AM EDT
[#18]

And what reticles?
View All Quotes

And what reticles?

One is a 230:

The other a civi:

Both are 5.56.
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 12:08:00 AM EDT
[#19]

And what reticles?

One is a 230:

http://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p500/AR-Ryan21/322C601F-65A6-49C3-B913-65C9466E7434_zpsmblnz4o0.jpg

The other a civi:

http://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p500/AR-Ryan21/6BC27D6C-DB03-4967-B532-186BC573891C_zps9a5gbpk1.jpg

Both are 5.56.

My rifle needs an SU230 so bad
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 12:14:56 AM EDT
[#20]

Dont the 5.56s look the same too?

yes they do but i don't ever remember seeing an su230 "HD" marked.  they are just known as gen 3b.  i believe the su230-a's were only "HD" marked for a short while until all models carried the update.
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 12:21:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Anyone have a good source for an Elcan rear BUIS? My 230 came without one.
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 12:26:24 AM EDT
[#22]

And what reticles?

One is a 230:

http://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p500/AR-Ryan21/322C601F-65A6-49C3-B913-65C9466E7434_zpsmblnz4o0.jpg

The other a civi:

http://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p500/AR-Ryan21/6BC27D6C-DB03-4967-B532-186BC573891C_zps9a5gbpk1.jpg

Both are 5.56.

/\ nice , both appear to be gen 3b's

here's a pic i just pulled from google , it came from arfcom but it's not my pic.

notice the front azimuth adjustment bar compared to yours , this one would be a gen 3a.
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 12:32:12 AM EDT
[#23]

And what reticles?

One is a 230:

The other a civi:

Both are 5.56.

Yeah both of yours look to have the upgraded azimuth adjuster, so there are just as good as the HD marked ones. Thanks for the info viper
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 12:45:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Nice. Both 3bs.

An SU-230 marked 3b with upgraded ARMS levers was a huge score. With the cash and stuff I traded towards it...I'm in under $1700 total too.
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 12:50:38 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Nameless_Hobo:

A1 lowers....
Great, now I need another clone. Also, the guys with RRs can call themselves correct, now.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Nameless_Hobo:
Originally Posted By TinyCrumb:
Originally Posted By AstraPat:
I really like running a KAC 300 on the CQBR. However, with the 553, it hangs over the receiver by a notch with buis installed. My thumb naturally likes to hold the gun wrapped around the delta ring when carrying, slung, etc... That works great with no BUIS.

I'm thinking moving the 553 back to the 14.5 URG, RIS II FSB, and picking up a EXPS for the CQBR.

I can imagine the EXPS on a block I URG works pretty well, real estate wise. I need another RDS regardless so that both URGs are dressed properly.

This would have been done a long time ago but kids are dern expensive

http://i.imgur.com/S99phen.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/GfNqi8N.jpg

EXPS and other Block II stuff on a Block I upper is one of my all time favorite combos!

A1 lowers....
Great, now I need another clone. Also, the guys with RRs can call themselves correct, now.

Some of the few actual MK 18s in this thread...

~Augee
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 5:43:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: KILLERB6] [#26]
Originally Posted By TNW:
Thanks. So you guys think an H3 will smooth it out?
View Quote

By definition, yes.

That and a Sprinco Blue.
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 5:44:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Yeah I don't need smooth... So much as to alleviate the 1:00 ejection...
View Quote

Now you've done it: here in the clone community, as long as the brass comes out of the gun, it's good...we don't care about no steekin' clock position.
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 7:20:24 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By KILLERB6:

Now you've done it: here in the clone community, as long as the brass comes out of the gun, it's good...we don't care about no steekin' clock position.
View All Quotes

I have witnessed on multiple occasions people getting bent out of shape at the range because their brass wasn't landing in a neat little pile in the same spot.
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 7:22:12 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By ArmedFerret:

I have witnessed on multiple occasions people getting bent out of shape at the range because their brass wasn't landing in a neat little pile in the same spot.
View All Quotes

Well, even 1:00 ejections can still all land in a neat little pile in the same spot.
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 8:41:24 AM EDT
[#30]
EOTech "experts," is it pretty typical for the reticle to be this fuzzy:

http://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p500/AR-Ryan21/0E75AA3A-EDC7-4DE3-BBDF-5FAE430C2305_zpsmbuqpzgk.jpg

Honestly, that picture makes it look far better than it actually is as well. The reticle is crazy fuzzy to my eye. On any brightness setting, on any background, etc, etc.

While I haven't personally owned an EOTech for about 3 years now, I have used plenty of them, and looked through plenty of them as well. I even shot with an EXPS3-0 just a few months ago for a good bit. Maybe my mind is playing tricks on me, but I don't recall ever encountering one with the reticle even close to this fuzzy. The reticles tend to be far more crisp than this from my memory. And we're talking this one is so fuzzy that I can barely distinguish the bottom of the circle from the center dot when I look through it.

The 6th pic in this listing would be a great example:

Click

That reticle is very crisp, and not fuzzy at all. My reticle is the polar opposite of that, and they were both manufactured the same month, and are the exact same models.

Is this kind of variation typical, or is mine atypical?
View Quote

Do you have vision problems?  Because my left eye that is very near sighted and whenever I look through an eotech with that eye I can barely make out the reticle; looks like a big red blur.  But when I use my right eye (the good one), it looks as crisp as ever.  I own and have used a lot of eotechs and it's the same thing with everyone, for me at least.
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 9:05:46 AM EDT
[#31]

That seems to be in line with what I remember hearing about them. Were they ever sold commercially?

And do you or anyone else know what what you can buy a tan Elcan MRDS mount for these days?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Tmender03:

Allegedly it was "hardened" for the SCAR. I don't think I've seen an "HD" model in the wild, and my overrun isn't, and I've had no issues with it in the 5 years I've had it now.

That seems to be in line with what I remember hearing about them. Were they ever sold commercially?

And do you or anyone else know what what you can buy a tan Elcan MRDS mount for these days?

All they offer these days is black, I merely painted mine.
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 9:10:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ShiftSix] [#32]

By definition, yes.

That and a Sprinco Blue.
View All Quotes
Thanks. So you guys think an H3 will smooth it out?

By definition, yes.

That and a Sprinco Blue.

fwiw my dd barreled upper was doing the same thing when I added the surefire can.
Already was running a H2, so I grabbed the MicroMOA gasblock and its perfect.    Even leaving the setting on the .073 setting is night and day better than the factory .082, and having the option of an even smaller .052 is perfect when I want to run some normal 5.56 powered stuff is great.

Definitely a great product
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 11:08:46 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By jBoy723:

Prior to Dan's group buy thread, I asked about intererst in them as well because I had a guy that used to work for Spikes who was willing to get DD to make them and at the time, the minimum was 30 rails but, that guy would only have sold them as complete uppers. He was trying to get his own business going and wanted to get his name out there. He was going to use Douglas Barrels and Spike NiB BCG in the uppers but, I could only get roughly 10 people to commit at the time.

Not sure if it would have ever came to be but, this guy was pretty well connected so, never say never. Guess that dreams long gone.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By brodband8:
And knowing how rare they are im sure most of us would buy at least 1 maybe 2.  I would buy 2-3 for sure.

Exactly. I'd buy 3-5 without question. Would at the very least want two to use right away, and one as a spare/extra. Would possibly pick up a couple as investments as well.

I have a couple local buddies who would do similarly. I can easily think of 20 of those selling just between me and a few of my local shooting buddies. They'd sell 100 plus in no time.

Prior to Dan's group buy thread, I asked about intererst in them as well because I had a guy that used to work for Spikes who was willing to get DD to make them and at the time, the minimum was 30 rails but, that guy would only have sold them as complete uppers. He was trying to get his own business going and wanted to get his name out there. He was going to use Douglas Barrels and Spike NiB BCG in the uppers but, I could only get roughly 10 people to commit at the time.

Not sure if it would have ever came to be but, this guy was pretty well connected so, never say never. Guess that dreams long gone.

Has anyone contacted one of the retailers see if they would sponsor a group buy?  For example, operation parts, boltcarrier, rainier, etc, etc, etc?

Link Posted: 6/15/2015 11:19:28 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By nchapa:

Has anyone contacted one of the retailers see if they would sponsor a group buy?  For example, operation parts, boltcarrier, rainier, etc, etc, etc?

View All Quotes
And knowing how rare they are im sure most of us would buy at least 1 maybe 2.  I would buy 2-3 for sure.

Exactly. I'd buy 3-5 without question. Would at the very least want two to use right away, and one as a spare/extra. Would possibly pick up a couple as investments as well.

I have a couple local buddies who would do similarly. I can easily think of 20 of those selling just between me and a few of my local shooting buddies. They'd sell 100 plus in no time.

A retailer did offer to sponsor Dan's, in that thread. DD said it just wasn't doable.
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 11:54:24 AM EDT
[#35]
This is for the SSC/GL rail correct? I would be in but I would prefer another run of MK18 FSP rails...
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 11:59:08 AM EDT
[#36]

Originally Posted By DontBuryMe:
A retailer did offer to sponsor Dan's, in that thread. DD said it just wasn't doable.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DontBuryMe:

Is this about my GL/SSC group buy inquiry in the DD forum many years ago?

Link Posted: 6/15/2015 12:01:03 PM EDT
[#37]
it's being used as an example why asking DD to make some now is probably a waste of time/energy/TCP packets.

so, sort of.  yes.  
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 12:09:22 PM EDT
[#38]

it's being used as an example why asking DD to make some now is probably a waste of time/energy/TCP packets.

so, sort of.  yes.  
View Quote
Meh, at least it added to my post count

Link Posted: 6/15/2015 12:10:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By dangerdan:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By dangerdan:

so, sort of.  yes.  

only halal posts count....
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 12:36:46 PM EDT
[#40]
This is for the SSC/GL rail correct? I would be in but I would prefer another run of MK18 FSP rails...
View Quote

I was just speaking in general, but yea i would be more interested in a mk18 fsp run to replace the one that ryan forced me to trade
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 2:49:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Something hinky going on with 4Ps on eBay:  the 4P someone posted earlier went for $305...not bad...hope it was one of us.

"More chances to get what you want" led to a different seller with two 4P listings:  buy it now for $500 and another with a starting bid of $152.50...the latter was quickly "ended by the seller due to an error in the listing".

So there's another one, maybe two out there, but it looks like he want $500.
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 2:53:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KILLERB6] [#42]

View All Quotes

Who was that guy who used to have the good deals on custom DD-based uppers?  Tommy's Guns or something like that.  He had so much business he got behind in deliveries and the whole scheme unravelled from there.

Someone like him...only that doesn't get behind in deliveries.

ETA:  Crap, I blew 22k on that post?!?  Bedtime here.
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 3:43:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Smart Gunner used to sell a bunch of custom DD stuff a few years back. Probably the same place since they basically vanished.
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 4:04:34 PM EDT
[#44]
WesternSport sells a ton of custom DD uppers/stuff. They're who got all those mil overrun 10.3" barrels as well.
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 5:21:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pbjunkiee] [#45]
Pictures of surefire 4 Prong on an Block I CQBR

GOGOGOGO

ETA:
Instagram Picturrrreee
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 6:16:52 PM EDT
[#46]

Need a carry handle to chop...
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 7:00:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Zakk101abn:
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e21/zakk101abn/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpssemlzgjl.jpg

View Quote

Ditched my commercial spec dd 10.3 inch barrel for one of those .70 gas port ones.  Also ditched the pinned syrac gen II block.  Probably all going on the ee soon.
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 7:05:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 7:11:39 PM EDT
[#49]

Ditched my commercial spec dd 10.3 inch barrel for one of those .70 gas port ones.  Also ditched the pinned syrac gen II block.  Probably all going on the ee soon.
View All Quotes
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e21/zakk101abn/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpssemlzgjl.jpg

DD offered .70 gas ports?  where the hell was i to miss that announcement?  
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 7:20:46 PM EDT
[#50]

View Quote

why no more acog??
Page / 1565
Mk 18 / CQBR (Page 369 of 1565)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top