AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Mk 18 / CQBR (Page 900 of 1565)
Page / 1565
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 10:03:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DontBuryMe] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By m1ajunkie:
What kind of accuracy are you guys seeing with your mk18?

With my 10.3" DD barrel I'm getting 4 moa AT BEST with multiple different types of 55gr m193 ammo. I'd like to see that drop to the 2/ 3 moa range and to do it I'm entertaining a barrel swap but want to see if I'm even reasonable. My barrel has seen a ton of rounds and a lot of heat, it's got some kind of black carbon type build up in the first 1-2.5" of the barrel that I can't clean out. Part of me wonders if maybe it's chrome flaking causing the crappy accuracy.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/10/2017 1:29:26 AM EDT
[#2]
so while im waiting on my colt lower to get its ATF approved freedom ticket...

What lower would you guys put a mk18 upper on to use as a pistol?

I cant find any colt lowers that arent take offs from a 6920 so now im lost.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 1:54:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Jormungandr:

View Quote
You could use an 80 percenter like I did. (And you can get it engraved Colt M4A1)
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 9:43:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 12:46:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:
Take the light off of the rail and you'll find 2 screws holding the mount to the light. Remove those screws and turn the mount so the knob is facing the other direction.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Shogek:

It doesn't flip upwards does it? I swear I tried that before...

I do have a fear sector mount but I like the flashlight inline with the rail. I guess beggars can't be choosers.
Take the light off of the rail and you'll find 2 screws holding the mount to the light. Remove those screws and turn the mount so the knob is facing the other direction.
They are uni-directional.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 4:35:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By pezboytate:
View All Quotes

I do have a fear sector mount but I like the flashlight inline with the rail. I guess beggars can't be choosers.
You're uni-directional.

I got to thinking about it for some reason today and I seem to remember the Scouts using those stupid little screws on the side and not the bigger ones on the bottom, so I don't think you can flip one. As soon as I buy one, the mount gets yanked off any way so I never even thought about it.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 5:28:01 PM EDT
[#7]

With my 10.3" DD barrel I'm getting 4 moa AT BEST with multiple different types of 55gr m193 ammo. I'd like to see that drop to the 2/ 3 moa range and to do it I'm entertaining a barrel swap but want to see if I'm even reasonable. My barrel has seen a ton of rounds and a lot of heat, it's got some kind of black carbon type build up in the first 1-2.5" of the barrel that I can't clean out. Part of me wonders if maybe it's chrome flaking causing the crappy accuracy.
View Quote
The enlarged gas port of DD barrels causes accuracy issues. The bullet gets loose around the gas port and there's so much rifling missing where the gas port is the bullet stops spinning for a millisecond and causes it to destabilize. Since there's not much barrel left after the gas port on these 10.3" barrels it doesn't have a chance to restabilize before it leaves the barrel. Solution is to use a proper .070 gas ported barrel.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 5:32:19 PM EDT
[#8]
You're uni-directional.

I got to thinking about it for some reason today and I seem to remember the Scouts using those stupid little screws on the side and not the bigger ones on the bottom, so I don't think you can flip one. As soon as I buy one, the mount gets yanked off any way so I never even thought about it.
View All Quotes

You're uni-directional.

Me too, IWC for the win.

OP should look into LaRue, they might have an inline scout mount.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 5:39:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Me too, IWC for the win.

View All Quotes

You're uni-directional.

Me too, IWC for the win.

Yup

Link Posted: 8/10/2017 7:40:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By TinyCrumb:
The enlarged gas port of DD barrels causes accuracy issues. The bullet gets loose around the gas port and there's so much rifling missing where the gas port is the bullet stops spinning for a millisecond and causes it to destabilize. Since there's not much barrel left after the gas port on these 10.3" barrels it doesn't have a chance to restabilize before it leaves the barrel. Solution is to use a proper .070 gas ported barrel.
View All Quotes

lol!
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 8:53:58 PM EDT
[#11]
You're uni-directional.

View All Quotes

You're uni-directional.

Ya I took the mount off and I was like damnit why did I listen to you hahaha. I threw on my gear sector mount anyways. I just like the inline torch better. No other specific reasons
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 9:09:02 PM EDT
[#12]

View Quote
No
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 10:39:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Ya I took the mount off and I was like damnit why did I listen to you hahaha. I threw on my gear sector mount anyways. I just like the inline torch better. No other specific reasons
View All Quotes

You're uni-directional.

My bad
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 11:36:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MILSPEC556] [#14]
The tooth fairy brought my CQBR an ambidextrous thing. Safe, Semi..........Safe.
Still badass tho and teh utmost clone correct. Stick that in your pipe and smoke it Stealthgirl

Link Posted: 8/10/2017 11:42:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Will816:

No
View Quote
Now I think I get the successfully trolls his own thread merit badge.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 9:16:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cjwwd2] [#16]

Now I think I get the successfully trolls his own thread merit badge.
View Quote
I was reading that like...

Link Posted: 8/11/2017 3:53:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: brodband8] [#17]

View Quote
What's funny is that my buddy had returned a civi dd 10.3" barrel with an overly eroded out gas port because 75 grain bullets were keyholing and DD basically said exactly what you said.  They said that after the gas port erodes on the .080+ barrels it was causing bullets to tumble.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 6:16:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By brodband8:

What's funny is that my buddy had returned a civi dd 10.3" barrel with an overly eroded out gas port because 75 grain bullets were keyholing and DD basically said exactly what you said.  They said that after the gas port erodes on the .080+ barrels it was causing bullets to tumble.
View Quote
I am really thinking of rebarreling the rifle, this accuracy is frustrating. What 10.3" barrel would be the best option to replace with?
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 6:28:09 PM EDT
[#19]
I am really thinking of rebarreling the rifle, this accuracy is frustrating. What 10.3" barrel would be the best option to replace with?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By brodband8:

Cut down Colt.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 6:28:11 PM EDT
[#20]

View Quote
i wish DD sold .70 barrels

stuck with either a cut-down for chf-cl, they have nitrided 10.3's with the .70 as well
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 6:42:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By MILSPEC556:
The tooth fairy brought my CQBR an ambidextrous thing. Safe, Semi..........Safe.
Still badass tho and teh utmost clone correct. Stick that in your pipe and smoke it Stealthgirl

http://i.imgur.com/dxWKJQ8.jpg
View Quote
Why would I want some pleb-ass, gayboi ambi safety?

I'm waiting for a god-tier ambi safety forged from the fires of Mt. Geissele.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 7:05:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By StealthGuy:

View All Quotes

http://i.imgur.com/dxWKJQ8.jpg

Go Geissele all your things in the possibly/might be/could be/wanna be Block 3 thread newb. We don't take kindly to your fancy Mlok rails and semi auto selectors 'round these parts.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 8:00:21 PM EDT
[#23]

Go Geissele all your things in the possibly/might be/could be/wanna be Block 3 thread newb. We don't take kindly to your fancy Mlok rails and semi auto selectors 'round these parts.
View Quote
Stop oppressing me, fascist, nazi scum.

He will not divide us! He will not divide us! He will nut inside us!
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 8:16:02 PM EDT
[#24]

View Quote
I just want a goddamn G lower.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 11:23:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By cjwwd2:
The Geissele (and others) are being tested. Nothing has been officially adopted.
View Quote
Back in the day, before there was an issue CQBR, we "experimented" with LaRue rails...so if I wanted to (and did) clone my issue weapon from that period, it would have a LaRue rail.

Similarly, if guys are testing G-rails, it makes them cloneworthy IMO.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 11:27:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Jlgil73:
Ask and you shall receive. I followed all the Block one specs (that little chart) on the first page of this thread when building this...  So I went QRP for my block 1. Only thing not clone correct as far as brand is the Noveske lower, but, viva Noveske...

And, I just rattle canned it yesterday, SO I am looking for opinions on the job I did.  First time rattle-canning a gun...  Was a little nervous.  Let me know what you guys think!

Pre Rattle can:

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4328/35485939733_009cff63c0_o.jpg

The big colors swaths:

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4291/35458108264_330f33409f_o.jpg

Then back over it with opposing colors...

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4318/35458142694_2bea785a5c_o.jpg

Then the finished product with tape removed...

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4312/35458126504_e5dd717e42_o.jpg
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Jlgil73:
Originally Posted By CoilCrafter:
How common were QRP mounts used? Just bought the last pieces I need for my CQBR Block 1 build. Anyone have any pictures of QRP mounts on block 1's?
Ask and you shall receive. I followed all the Block one specs (that little chart) on the first page of this thread when building this...  So I went QRP for my block 1. Only thing not clone correct as far as brand is the Noveske lower, but, viva Noveske...

And, I just rattle canned it yesterday, SO I am looking for opinions on the job I did.  First time rattle-canning a gun...  Was a little nervous.  Let me know what you guys think!

Pre Rattle can:

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4328/35485939733_009cff63c0_o.jpg

The big colors swaths:

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4291/35458108264_330f33409f_o.jpg

Then back over it with opposing colors...

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4318/35458142694_2bea785a5c_o.jpg

Then the finished product with tape removed...

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4312/35458126504_e5dd717e42_o.jpg
QRPs:  very common.

Paint job:  awesome.  That's my favorite protocol:  two/three colors with alternating colors shot through the "bag".
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 8:33:31 AM EDT
[#27]
I have a pretty old taupe that has no markings whatsoever and it is 100% legit.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Shoot-To-KIll:
Has anyone seen KAC sights that are unserialized? specifically a front buis in taupe (99051). 

I have two sights, a black and a taupe The taupe apears to be older, and slighly lower profile than the black one. The taupe has no seral number or anything on it where the black one does. Everything else looks identical down to casting marks and so forth. I found one thread where a guy said that he has had KAC sights over the years that weren't marked, and said they didn't mark all the sights that were contract. 

That was all about an hour of searching got me.
Never saw one, either color, with a S/N.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 8:49:33 AM EDT
[#28]
Putting the finishing touches on my mod 0 build. I have wanted one for a while and I have it now! I'm planning on leaving it a pistol for now until I get an nt4. Then I'll sbr it. Picking up a sbm4 brace for it until then. I know it's not 100% clone correct but I'm happy with it!

Link Posted: 8/12/2017 9:59:16 AM EDT
[#29]
very long thread.  I have a comment / question.

I have seen some Mk18 rifles with a thick SOCOM-like barrel, except w/o M203 notches.  I have been told that later in the program, Crane changed the barrel to allow for more automatic fire, with a heavy barrel, but have not been able to substantiate this.  Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 10:04:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By frank4guns:

I have seen some Mk18 rifles with a thick SOCOM-like barrel, except w/o M203 notches.  I have been told that later in the program, Crane changed the barrel to allow for more automatic fire, with a heavy barrel, but have not been able to substantiate this.  Any thoughts?
View Quote
Where did you see them? AFAIK, Crane has always used standard profile M4 barrels cut down to 10.3".
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 10:11:59 AM EDT
[#31]

View Quote
Nope. They use cut down gov profile barrels.  

Here's a pic from Combat_Diver who built or still builds them for SOF.

Link Posted: 8/12/2017 10:20:41 AM EDT
[#32]
I've never seen or read in SOCOMs TRS a heavy barrel for the Mk18/CQBR/URG.  All have used Govt profile barrels cut to 10.3".

CD
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 11:21:09 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By KILLERB6:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By KILLERB6:
Originally Posted By Shoot-To-KIll:
Has anyone seen KAC sights that are unserialized? specifically a front buis in taupe (99051). 

I have two sights, a black and a taupe The taupe apears to be older, and slighly lower profile than the black one. The taupe has no seral number or anything on it where the black one does. Everything else looks identical down to casting marks and so forth. I found one thread where a guy said that he has had KAC sights over the years that weren't marked, and said they didn't mark all the sights that were contract. 

That was all about an hour of searching got me.
I think he meant P/N and/or NSN markings. I've never seen a serialed front site either.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 4:11:09 PM EDT
[#34]

View Quote
There are lowers that are specifically marked PISTOL.  That is what I use.  I do that for two reasons:  1)  I will always know and can testify that it was never used as a rifle (NFA requrement), and 2) while it it not technically necessary, it helps to show Johnny Sheriff who might think you are violating some law he/she kinda remembers, that it is a pistol.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 9:09:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By drago6:

i wish DD sold .70 barrels

stuck with either a cut-down for chf-cl, they have nitrided 10.3's with the .70 as well
View Quote
Well there is a lot of evidence recently that DD moved to a .072 port, I even saw one thread that had it measured at .073.  This had me curious so I contacted DD the other day and inquired about Mk18 gas port size and was told their gas port size is currently .070 by Chris McNeil who is a consumer services rep (commercial market).  At this point, I'd buy any Mk18 DD barrel/rifle/URG made in 2017 with confidence.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 10:04:20 PM EDT
[#36]
besides extra gas to the face what are the problems with the .8 gas port barrels?
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 10:16:48 PM EDT
[#37]
besides extra gas to the face what are the problems with the .8 gas port barrels?
View Quote
Harder on bolts and it's associated parts. Can run into feeding problems if you're not using the proper buffer weight due to the carrier running faster than the mag can feed up the next round.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 10:18:21 PM EDT
[#38]
View Quote
Bolt over has malfunctions (specifically when shooting suppressed), accelerated wear on items such as bolts, extractors and cam pins.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 10:35:40 PM EDT
[#39]
makes sense.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 9:31:23 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 11:30:01 AM EDT
[#41]

View Quote
Any lower at all (that can legally be used as a pistol).  It's not like a pistol is 'clone correct', so it doesn't matter.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 12:51:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By eodinert:

Any lower at all (that can legally be used as a pistol).  It's not like a pistol is 'clone correct', so it doesn't matter.
View Quote
Well, yes and no.

While it is not required that the lower be designated as a pistol lower, I highly recommend it.  What must not happen is the use of a lower that was once a part of a rifle, carbine, etc., like many Colt parts are today.

A factory fresh AR lower receiver that has never been part of a firearm can be used to build a pistol, carbine or rifle. If a lower receiver is built into and registered as a pistol first, it can be stripped down and converted into a rifle in the future. If the receiver built into a carbine or rifle first, it must always remain part of a rifle and cannot ever be used to build a pistol.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 3:25:33 PM EDT
[#43]

Well, yes and no.

While it is not required that the lower be designated as a pistol lower, I highly recommend it.  
View Quote
Your designation is meaningless.

1. Research the legalities of building a pistol
2. Build a pistol
3. Profit
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 3:42:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By eodinert:

Your designation is meaningless.

1. Research the legalities of building a pistol
2. Build a pistol
3. Profit
View Quote
I think I did, and gave you the legal brief.  I have done #1, and #2.  Not there on #3.  

I agree that the designation is not required, but it is not meaningless.  It helps you show a clear line of a clean purchase to use, and how you did not get confused with other lowers.  It also is helpful to show law enforcement your design and desire.  You would be correct, that it is not necessary, but I think it is helpful.  My other comment was that with Colt, it is hard to know if what you are buying has not been a take-off.  If you can show it, you are golden.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 4:02:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: krdt] [#45]

Well, yes and no.

While it is not required that the lower be designated as a pistol lower, I highly recommend it.  What must not happen is the use of a lower that was once a part of a rifle, carbine, etc., like many Colt parts are today.

A factory fresh AR lower receiver that has never been part of a firearm can be used to build a pistol, carbine or rifle. If a lower receiver is built into and registered as a pistol first, it can be stripped down and converted into a rifle in the future. If the receiver built into a carbine or rifle first, it must always remain part of a rifle and cannot ever be used to build a pistol.
View Quote
Unless you live in a wonky state, there is no registering it as a pistol. A factory stripped lower is marked "Other" on the 4473, and the only proof you have it was built as a pistol first is your word.

As to whether having a lower marked "pistol" is any extra protection against an uninformed LEO, I think that it would be marginal at best. If the LEO isn't swayed by you explaining it's a pistol, then showing them an ATF letter about the (assumed) brace he thinks is a stock, and still remains convinced you actually have an SBR... I'm not sure showing them an engraving that says "pistol" is going to be all that much help. Most likely their response will be, "That's nice, you still have an SBR."

I suppose if it gives you peace of mind, it doesn't hurt, but if a LEO is convinced you have an SBR, I wouldn't rely on it. You're most likely going to take a ride in the back seat with or without the "pistol" designation if that is the case.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 4:13:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bending_rodriguez] [#46]
I was gonna wait, but I figured why not for page 900.......

It has taken me 900 pages in this thread, plus the other two previous threads, but finally I bought one.
BNIB, unfired, all original....
I'm 2 months into the wait.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 4:26:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Mercy sakes, you lucky bastige. All your clones (especially any Mod 0s) are about to be turned up to 11, lol.

I'd love to get into FA, I just need to stop spending all my money on smaller purchases and save for one big one :\. Either that, or...

Know anyone in the market for a kidney?
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 6:37:29 PM EDT
[#48]
If i ever get a tranny, its gonna be an uzi.

Still clone correct
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 7:07:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By pbjunkiee:
If i ever get a tranny, its gonna be an uzi.

Still clone correct
View Quote
You're first tranny should always be a beltfed.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 7:29:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By bending_rodriguez:
I was gonna wait, but I figured why not for page 900.......

It has taken me 900 pages in this thread, plus the other two previous threads, but finally I bought one.
BNIB, unfired, all original....
I'm 2 months into the wait.
http://i67.tinypic.com/14y8fhv.jpg
View Quote

Page / 1565
Mk 18 / CQBR (Page 900 of 1565)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top