Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Mk 18 / CQBR (Page 532 of 1565)
Page / 1565
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 7:23:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MrFrZZ:

If you had a 553 on the table for sell I would consider helping you fund that endeavor.

SOOOOO tell me if im crazy.. guy i work with won a 300 blk AAC rifle at a gunshow. 16" barrel, knight URX3 13.5" Came with rear sight. I told him to let me know if he ants rid of it..... He asks me on Friday if I had another flip up to trade him straight up for it..... I told him i wasnt robbing it off him. He's a good guy and I dont like to do that to people.... I told him to think of a number or a trade and let me know.... He was gonna go Magpul MBUS straight trade for it though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MILSPEC556:

You buy, I use.

I'd like to see an elcan on it too. I would gladly give away my 552 if that happened. (Exps would go to block 1.5)

If you had a 553 on the table for sell I would consider helping you fund that endeavor.

SOOOOO tell me if im crazy.. guy i work with won a 300 blk AAC rifle at a gunshow. 16" barrel, knight URX3 13.5" Came with rear sight. I told him to let me know if he ants rid of it..... He asks me on Friday if I had another flip up to trade him straight up for it..... I told him i wasnt robbing it off him. He's a good guy and I dont like to do that to people.... I told him to think of a number or a trade and let me know.... He was gonna go Magpul MBUS straight trade for it though.

I would have straight traded him lol not your fault he didn't research.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 7:25:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MrFrZZ] [#2]
Originally Posted By AmericanCheese:

Agree to disagree brother!  I pretty much agree with 95% of his do's and don'ts to include red dot placement, gay ass magwell grips, placement of vert grips etc. and it's no coincidence that the majority of operators and guys in the field are running their optics more forward.  But at the end of the day, it boils down to whatever works!  
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By azoutdoorsman:
I'm probably an idiot and have it all confused, and probably so does Highjack.  Can you guys explain to me, why running a red dot further back to the rear is better?

https://youtu.be/xX-4e9sLSGo
That guy has a lot of opinions that I don't agree with. First, your eye absolutely does not pick up a dot faster if it's farther away. Second, he doesn't understand what peripheral vision even means. Third, a lot of users who kill people for a living do not use back up sights.

A smaller tubular optic like an Aimpoint may occlude some of the visual field of its closer to the eye, but unless the  option is actually touching your eye, your peripheral vision is intact. The portion of the visual field that is occluded is "filled in" by your brain and the information it receives from both eyes. That is why the aperture on the rear sight doesn't affect your visual field negatively. The short frame around the Eotech lens occludes very little of the visual field, regardless of angle or proximity to the eye. That creates a non critical head position for detecting the reticle. That, along with the shape of the reticle is why I prefer an Eotech, and I suspect why most Eotech users do. Aimpoint users argue for durability and battery life, but I've never seen anyone say the actual sight picture is superior than Eotech.

I studied visual perception in grad school, and ran numerous experiments with visual tracking using cameras that cost 6 figures, and software that can track eye movement based on the center of the pupil as a reference. Did you know your eye is never at rest? It is in constant motion, even in sleep. Your brain not only analyzes the visual information it receives and fills in voids in the visual field, it also creates information that is not really there (optical illusion).

If it were easier to pick up red dots at distance, you'd see micro dots right behind the front sight, or mounted to the front sight. The reason it is more difficult is because the angular position of your eye is much more critical to align with the (visually) smaller frame around the sight.

Agree to disagree brother!  I pretty much agree with 95% of his do's and don'ts to include red dot placement, gay ass magwell grips, placement of vert grips etc. and it's no coincidence that the majority of operators and guys in the field are running their optics more forward.  But at the end of the day, it boils down to whatever works!  

Cheese, If I remember correctly, doesnt one of your rifles if not both have an Eotech? Im sure you have shot with a basic dot reticle optic as well at some point? If not, Give it a go. I wear contacts and have terrible astigmatism. I was torn between using an Eotech and an Aimpoint comp M4 on a rifle for a long time. I looked through an etoech; It appeared to be on fire to me, especially on windy days when my contacts would cause my eyes to tear badly. I picked up a Primary arms Red dot, and while that is a FAR cry from an aimpoint comp M4, I shot ök"with it. I then finally picked up an Eotech and said screw it. I normally turn it as low as possible but still visible. This take some of that fire away... I'll probably never go back unless I do a different clone that would use an aimpoint. Even at that point it would be difficult if i knew the rifle would be a go-to rifle. I think Eotechs are a little bit quicker, and with knowing the size of the reticle, some ranging and estimation can be done a little quicker with it than with the aimpoint.

With all that said, I like my eotech just a little further ahead of the rear site. My battery compartment is just over the rail, but not nearly as forward as some. I do this for numerous reasons:

I shoot NTCH. When I look through the Eotech, I have a great "field of vision" from the other side of the glass, and the "pillars"of the frame are more out of my way.
I shoot with both eyes open, even when using a magnified optic.
If I would mount that optic further forward, more of the window is occupied by that reticle which clutters it up.
It brings the weight of the rifle rearward which will be invaluable to me once I get the LAM and the suppressor.

I didnt watch the vid you posted, Just thought I would share. Not attacking or saying anyone is wrong, just giving my opinion. Its what works, as you stated above, for me.

Link Posted: 9/28/2015 7:28:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MrFrZZ] [#3]
Originally Posted By Patchgunner:

View All Quotes

You buy, I use.

I'd like to see an elcan on it too. I would gladly give away my 552 if that happened. (Exps would go to block 1.5)

If you had a 553 on the table for sale I would consider helping you fund that endeavor.

Oh its not that he didnt know how much it costs. He actually went and bought the knights URX tool when he won the rifle in case ever wanted to change the barrel out.
He owns well over 100 guns and is very intelligent when it comes to them.

I just couldnt do that to him cause he's a nice guy and a good friend.

Link Posted: 9/28/2015 7:31:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DontBuryMe] [#4]
This isn't directed at any one person in this thread, but it is a trend I've noticed and there are some (SOME) people that choose to formulate opinions based on other people's experience and choices.

That's great and all, but I honestly can't take someone seriously when all they have to support an argument is "I heard about X in a video" or "The guys with Y tab/badge do this".

Everyone is different. If you want to defend a position because you've tried it and it works for you, that's great- there's nothing I can say to invalidate your experiences. But if all you fall back on is that you've seen it done, and therefore it is the one true way to salvation, I say to you; you're missing out on the experience.

I understand this is a clone thread, and the majority of what we do, we do for aesthetic purposes. But there's no reason you can't get some time behind the gun, using your gear and making adjustments as necessary.

You may find that you like the balance of an optic further forward or back. You may find that your padded sling is a little too bulky with your kit. You may discover that you need to rearrange some gear on your PC because you can't reach a mag in an awkward position, or you can't draw your pistol because something is in the way.

One thing I learned in the military (and as a police officer) is that there is no "one-size fits all" gear SOP that works perfectly for everyone.

I get that we are making clones, but there's no reason it can't be tweaked a little to actually be more functional for you IMHO.

That's actually one of the great things about SOF; they aren't quite as restricted by SOPs. They have a little leeway with rules as far as gear goes.

And here we are trying to make our own "SOP" based on pictures.

I don't know if it's because I've spent a lot of time working with engineers in my life, or if it was just instilled in me at a young age,  but when I see a method or technique, I want to try it for myself to see if I can replicate the results. This goes for gear as well. And if something doesn't work, I use my experience and knowledge gained in previous experimentation to make a change until it does.

Question everything.

TL; DR- Go out and get some trigger time. Adjust as necessary. DBM got his jimmies rustled.

Link Posted: 9/28/2015 7:36:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By DontBuryMe:

TL; DR- Go out and get some trigger time. Adjust as necessary. DBM got his jimmies rustled.

http://i.imgur.com/2FPNOmY.jpg
View Quote

Sorry DBM...

Link Posted: 9/28/2015 7:37:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DontBuryMe] [#6]

Sorry DBM...

View All Quotes

Sorry DBM...

It's alright. My jimmies are in for a long and arduous recovery, but they'll make it.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 7:39:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I run both a 231 and 231a on the forward side because that is what works for me personally.  And nice shot across my bow DBM.......point taken brother!  I will try and refrain from offering opposing opinions unless they are my own.  God forbid we might actually learn something new in here
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 7:39:51 PM EDT
[#8]
This isn't directed at any one person in this thread, but it is a trend I've noticed and there are some (SOME) people that choose to formulate opinions based on other people's experience and choices.

That's great and all, but I honestly can't take someone seriously when all they have to support an argument is "I heard about X in a video" or "The guys with Y tab/badge do this".

Everyone is different. If you want to defend a position because you've tried it and it works for you, that's great- there's nothing I can say to invalidate your experiences. But if all you fall back on is that you've seen it done, and therefore it is the one true way to salvation, I say to you; you're missing out on the experience.

I understand this is a clone thread, and the majority of what we do, we do for aesthetic purposes. But there's no reason you can't get some time behind the gun, using your gear and making adjustments as necessary.

You may find that you like the balance of an optic further forward or back. You may find that your padded sling is a little too bulky with your kit. You may discover that you need to rearrange some gear on your PC because you can't reach a mag in an awkward position, or you can't draw your pistol because something is in the way.

One thing I learned in the military (and as a police officer) is that there is no "one-size fits all" gear SOP that works perfectly for everyone.

I get that we are making clones, but there's no reason it can't be tweaked a little to actually be more functional for you IMHO.

That's actually one of the great things about SOF; they aren't quite as restricted by SOPs. They have a little leeway with rules as far as gear goes.

View Quote

Well said. +1 internet point.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 7:41:13 PM EDT
[#9]
I agree.  I mean I don't even clone what I use at work for my clone at home.  To be honest idk why....

But I change my setup once a week at home.  I don't think there's a single person I work with that uses the same setup as someone else here.  Find what works for you, and use that.  You want to run your eotech on your stock?  go for it.  As long as it works for you.....

I've tried the magwell grip, and even the hyper exaggerated thumb over bore.  I won't knock a style till I try it.  All tools in the tool box.

Link Posted: 9/28/2015 7:42:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AmericanCheese] [#10]
Originally Posted By H1H0AG:
I agree.  I mean I don't even clone what I use at work for my clone at home.  To be honest idk why....

But I change my setup once a week at home.  I don't think there's a single person I work with that uses the same setup as someone else here.  Find what works for you, and use that.  You want to run your eotech on your stock?  go for it.  As long as it works for you.....

I've tried the magwell grip, and even the hyper exaggerated thumb over bore.  I won't knock a style till I try it.  All tools in the tool box.

View Quote

So you were the guy Highjack was clowning on in the video using the magwell grip

I totally get what you guys are saying, but keep in mind (with clone threads especially) so much of what we do and build is based on "seen in the wild" as opposed to "this is what I used to run" in other words, without second hand sources, we would be lost and have a difficult time trying to figure out what to use.......let's try and throttle back a little bit, and just enjoy everyone's opinion, regardless of where it came from or if it's second hand.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 7:43:37 PM EDT
[#11]
I run both a 231 and 231a on the forward side because that is what works for me personally.  And nice shot across my bow DBM.......point taken brother!  I will try and refrain from offering opposing opinions unless they are my own.  God forbid we might actually learn something new in here
View Quote

I agreed with his point, but you could play devil's advocate and say that once you speak of your experience, to somebody else, it will still be a "I read it here" piece of information. I think the main thing is if you learn something from somebody else, is to actually give it a go and see if it works for you or not. If it does, keep it, if it doesn't, discard it.

Everything starts off as outside knowledge/opinion/experience/information/whatever until we self-test that information and either assimilate it or reject it.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 7:43:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DontBuryMe] [#12]

View All Quotes

Awww, you got rid of "sword-gun". It's mightier than the pen-gun, you know.

Originally Posted By Conspiro-Agnew:

I agreed with his point, but you could play devil's advocate and say that once you speak of your experience, to somebody else, it will still be a "I read it here" piece of information. I think the main thing is if you learn something from somebody else, is to actually give it a go and see if it works for you or not. If it does, keep it, if it doesn't, discard it.

Everything starts off as outside knowledge/opinion/experience/information/whatever until we self-test that information and either assimilate it or reject it.

That's it.

I have no problem with new things. I try new things almost every day on the range.

I just want others to do the same thing, not take some info from a video or a post and think "Well that's it, right there. That's the way to do it.", and make whatever adjustment to their gear and throw their rifle back into the safe and call it a day.

If anything I want people to be MORE open to others' ideas. I just hope those ideas are being tested by the adopter.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 7:44:39 PM EDT
[#13]
So I'm a Derp and used the claw of a hammer to install the sf3p and kinda fucked it up some...(I couldn't find a wrench skinny enough to fit)

Will this effect using the suppressor?

Link Posted: 9/28/2015 7:45:26 PM EDT
[#14]

I don't know if it's because I've spent a lot of time working with engineers in my life, or if it was just instilled in me at a young age,  but when I see a method or technique, I want to try it for myself to see if I can replicate the results. This goes for gear as well. And if something doesn't work, I use my experience and knowledge gained in previous experimentation to make a change until it does.

Question everything.

View Quote

Everything you said is completely wrong and I'm going to go post in GD about it.

(Not really. I don't go there....it's weird.)
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 7:46:29 PM EDT
[#15]

View All Quotes

Link Posted: 9/28/2015 7:47:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AmericanCheese] [#16]
Originally Posted By drewQ22:
So I'm a Derp and used the claw of a hammer to install the sf3p and kinda fucked it up some...(I couldn't find a wrench skinny enough to fit)

<a href="http://s1201.photobucket.com/user/sabroso1/media/4D0AF495-B0DC-49DD-BB79-7BF1CA2C17BC_zpsfb1ip4dl.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb358/sabroso1/4D0AF495-B0DC-49DD-BB79-7BF1CA2C17BC_zpsfb1ip4dl.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s1201.photobucket.com/user/sabroso1/media/B4B29C4F-C443-4FF2-887B-0D1723E810BA_zps8vslk5t7.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb358/sabroso1/B4B29C4F-C443-4FF2-887B-0D1723E810BA_zps8vslk5t7.jpg</a>
View Quote

I have zero experience using SF suppressors....so let me search youtube so I can respond using a second hand source
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 7:47:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Likely not, but I don't recommend using hammers to install flash hiders
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 7:48:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By sweatpants:
View Quote

Beat it like you stole it!!!
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 7:54:22 PM EDT
[#19]

View Quote
Shoulda just bought a dremel and ground down a wrench... Now I'm gonna buy a new FH and dremel

Link Posted: 9/28/2015 7:56:06 PM EDT
[#20]

I have zero experience using SF suppressors....so let me search youtube so I can respond using a second hand source

View All Quotes

<a href="http://s1201.photobucket.com/user/sabroso1/media/4D0AF495-B0DC-49DD-BB79-7BF1CA2C17BC_zpsfb1ip4dl.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb358/sabroso1/4D0AF495-B0DC-49DD-BB79-7BF1CA2C17BC_zpsfb1ip4dl.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s1201.photobucket.com/user/sabroso1/media/B4B29C4F-C443-4FF2-887B-0D1723E810BA_zps8vslk5t7.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb358/sabroso1/B4B29C4F-C443-4FF2-887B-0D1723E810BA_zps8vslk5t7.jpg</a>

Me neither but I'm pretty sure the mount uses the rear of the muzzle device to lock the suppressor in. I may be completely wrong though

Link Posted: 9/28/2015 7:59:42 PM EDT
[#21]
View Quote

Yeah, I've tried it rearward too. 553, EXPS, 552, 512. I just can't stand it rearward. It cuts down on my peripheral vision for one thing, and it makes me feel like I'm trying to use an RDS like a scope, which no matter how you boil it down, is for me, not the best way to use a 1X (zero magnification) RDS. Can it be done? Sure. But it's slower, awkward, and I hate it.

It gives me the monkey trying to fuck a football feeling personally.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 7:59:44 PM EDT
[#22]
You should be fine brother...I've seen some pretty jacked up FH after serious suppressor use.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 7:59:46 PM EDT
[#23]

So you were the guy Highjack was clowning on in the video using the magwell grip

I totally get what you guys are saying, but keep in mind (with clone threads especially) so much of what we do and build is based on "seen in the wild" as opposed to "this is what I used to run" in other words, without second hand sources, we would be lost and have a difficult time trying to figure out what to use.......let's try and throttle back a little bit, and just enjoy everyone's opinion, regardless of where it came from or if it's second hand.
View All Quotes

I'm not suggesting that we ignore photographic evidence of gear in use.

And I don't believe I have ever been one to crack down on someone based on their opinion. I typically try to see things from both sides and try it out for myself. As a matter of fact, I did that for the optic placement discussion on the last page.

All I suggest is that people actually TRY their set ups. That was the point of the challenges (in a roundabout way). To just get people to shoot competitively using their clones that may not otherwise (ie- just shoot them for fun, or not much at all), and see what works for them. I don't think that's an absurd suggestion.

It is what it is- I've said my piece and it's up to each person how they wish to interpret it, or if they want to blow it off.

You've chosen to interpret it as an attack against you, for some reason. And if I offended you, I apologize.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 8:00:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Shoulda just bought a dremel and ground down a wrench... Now I'm gonna buy a new FH and dremel  
View All Quotes

Dont ever attempt to use a suppressor on that. Send it to me pronto and I will dispose of it properly for you.

Selling it??? PM Me.... srsly.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 8:05:36 PM EDT
[#25]

Dont ever attempt to use a suppressor on that. Send it to me pronto and I will dispose of it properly for you.

View All Quotes

Haha I was thinking about it. If you think it'll be fine then I'll use it lol. This will be my first can and the last thing I want is a baffle strike cause of my stupidity. I don't think the prongs have anything to do w/ the mounting of the can though?

Why couldn't they make the flats on the FH like an 1/8" or so wider
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 8:07:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ECPrevatte] [#26]
I have a whole 10.3" Colt URG just sitting in the safe with no rail.

1.) MK18 Mod 0

2.) Third CQBR

3.) EOD

4.) British Clone

Ideas?

Just so there is a picture instead of arguing.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 8:09:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MILSPEC556] [#27]
Originally Posted By ECPrevatte:

1.) MK18 Mod 0

2.) Third CQBR

3.) EOD

4.) British Clone

Ideas?

<a href="https://flic.kr/p/tb3LGV" target="_blank">https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7688/17835338309_8dc5a32b5d_b.jpg</a>

View Quote

Let's narrow it down one at a time. Remove option number 2 for starters. That's out of the question here.

ETA- I have to go with 1 or 4 bro. 3 CQBR'S is just, meh. And the EOD rifle is cool, but the Brit shorty is extremely cool, and the Mod 0 IS the Mk18 that started it all for modern mil shorties.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 8:19:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Any chance one of my clone brethren has a spare Ergo Gapper? Paying almost $8 to ship a $3.50 piece of rubber is a little

If so I'll gladly pay for it.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 8:19:42 PM EDT
[#29]

And I don't believe I have ever been one to crack down on someone based on their opinion. I typically try to see things from both sides and try it out for myself. As a matter of fact, I did that for the optic placement discussion on the last page.

All I suggest is that people actually TRY their set ups. That was the point of the challenges (in a roundabout way). To just get people to shoot competitively using their clones that may not otherwise (ie- just shoot them for fun, or not much at all), and see what works for them. I don't think that's an absurd suggestion.

It is what it is- I've said my piece and it's up to each person how they wish to interpret it, or if they want to blow it off.

You've chosen to interpret it as an attack against you, for some reason. And if I offended you, I apologize.
View All Quotes

Reported for interweb bullying...

I understand what you're saying, and lets be honest, if someone is a new comer to these forums and is not familiar with the platform, they may very well click on one of these clone threads, and immediately think OH MAN I WANT THAT ONE! Bad thing is... There is no "that one" as you have stated above. Maybe the "in the wild" pictures and applications shouldnt be accepted as "what is and that is it", but rather a functional guideline and foundation to what the rifle is capable of. While this may defeat the purpose of a clone, it can be further rationalized by this:

If the builder wants to build the weapon as a true clone, and he or she has no intention of pushing the rifle or his or herself to the limits of ability, then the guideline can be followed to a T and they will have the best pictures on the forum. Nothing wrong with that as it is aimed at being the true representation of what the thread stands for.

On the flip side of this are the end users; whether they be military, or civilian, leo or not, and the rifle will be a tool for recreational purposes, duty work, training, home defense, hunting, etc. It is at this point that the user should take the foundation that was laid and evaluate it to see if it functions for his or her situation or application. I think in the mini Recce forum someone posted a CQBR with a 1-4x and bipod on it... I personally thought it looked pretty sweet, and would be a heck of a little coyote gun around my parts in WV. However, that set up might not work for someone like DBM who may use his rifle for duty, or milspec who runs the risk of having joe Crack had bust in looking fo cheeseburgers at 2 AM.

Some folks will need NV, some folks will WANT NV, some folks could care less about NV. Their rifle will be tailored to that. And it still should fit into this thread since it follows the guideline and the foundation that was laid for it.

Some of the most interesting parts of these threads to me is learning how and why some of the parts were selected for the weapon platform, what they bring to the table, and then taking that knowledge and deciding if there is a better option for ME out there. I personally dont care if there were only 3 T1 spotted in the wild so its ok to use it. At one point I was ridiculously worried about being "accepted" into the thread as being a cloner because i loved these rifle so much. Now, In part since milspec granted me a pass temporarily on some parts , I am more concerned with what I can do with MY rifle to be practical for me. Part of that IS picking up a more durable rear sight, front sight, LAM, etc. I would like to pick up a front Cqd sling mount, but If i end up with a magpul, im not going to be depressed about it.

There is also a certain thrill of the chase with some of these parts as well. However, sometimes, I fear the juice might not be worth the squeeze. :/

Link Posted: 9/28/2015 8:21:34 PM EDT
[#30]

Let's narrow it down one at a time. Remove option number 2 for starters. That's out of the question here.

ETA- I have to go with 1 or 4 bro. 3 CQBR'S is just, meh. And the EOD rifle is cool, but the Brit shorty is extremely cool, and the Mod 0 IS the Mk18 that started it all for modern mil shorties.
View All Quotes

1.) MK18 Mod 0

2.) Third CQBR

3.) EOD

4.) British Clone

Ideas?

<a href="https://flic.kr/p/tb3LGV" target="_blank">https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7688/17835338309_8dc5a32b5d_b.jpg</a>

I gotta vote option 1 on the condition it will be fitted with an NT4
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 8:24:41 PM EDT
[#31]

View All Quotes

I didn't take it that way at all brother, and I respect your opinion (and everyones in here).  All good in the clone hood homie!
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 8:35:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Any word on broadband selling his brownells dd fsp rails
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 8:39:22 PM EDT
[#33]

I understand what you're saying, and lets be honest, if someone is a new comer to these forums and is not familiar with the platform, they may very well click on one of these clone threads, and immediately think OH MAN I WANT THAT ONE! Bad thing is... There is no "that one" as you have stated above. Maybe the "in the wild" pictures and applications shouldnt be accepted as "what is and that is it", but rather a functional guideline and foundation to what the rifle is capable of. While this may defeat the purpose of a clone, it can be further rationalized by this:

If the builder wants to build the weapon as a true clone, and he or she has no intention of pushing the rifle or his or herself to the limits of ability, then the guideline can be followed to a T and they will have the best pictures on the forum. Nothing wrong with that as it is aimed at being the true representation of what the thread stands for.

On the flip side of this are the end users; whether they be military, or civilian, leo or not, and the rifle will be a tool for recreational purposes, duty work, training, home defense, hunting, etc. It is at this point that the user should take the foundation that was laid and evaluate it to see if it functions for his or her situation or application. I think in the mini Recce forum someone posted a CQBR with a 1-4x and bipod on it... I personally thought it looked pretty sweet, and would be a heck of a little coyote gun around my parts in WV. However, that set up might not work for someone like DBM who may use his rifle for duty, or milspec who runs the risk of having joe Crack had bust in looking fo cheeseburgers at 2 AM.

Some folks will need NV, some folks will WANT NV, some folks could care less about NV. Their rifle will be tailored to that. And it still should fit into this thread since it follows the guideline and the foundation that was laid for it.

Some of the most interesting parts of these threads to me is learning how and why some of the parts were selected for the weapon platform, what they bring to the table, and then taking that knowledge and deciding if there is a better option for ME out there. I personally dont care if there were only 3 T1 spotted in the wild so its ok to use it. At one point I was ridiculously worried about being "accepted" into the thread as being a cloner because i loved these rifle so much. Now, In part since milspec granted me a pass temporarily on some parts , I am more concerned with what I can do with MY rifle to be practical for me. Part of that IS picking up a more durable rear sight, front sight, LAM, etc. I would like to pick up a front Cqd sling mount, but If i end up with a magpul, im not going to be depressed about it.

There is also a certain thrill of the chase with some of these parts as well. However, sometimes, I fear the juice might not be worth the squeeze. :/

View All Quotes

I'd say I agree with that.

Link Posted: 9/28/2015 8:41:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Anyone know how close duracoat dd fed is.   If I do this fsp mk18 project I need to figure out what to refinish the rail with
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 8:45:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Any word on broadband selling his brownells dd fsp rails
View Quote

He is still selling them. Shoot him an I.M. He needs the money
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 8:45:41 PM EDT
[#36]
It's going to be bye bye DPMS lower in the near future.

Link Posted: 9/28/2015 8:50:17 PM EDT
[#37]

View All Quotes

1.) MK18 Mod 0

2.) Third CQBR

3.) EOD

4.) British Clone

Ideas?

I say 1 or 4.  I haven't seen anyone clone a British one yet.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 8:53:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By AstraPat:

http://i.imgur.com/dBl1PCt.jpg
View Quote

Looks good Patrick aka Patty.

I can see your serial though, identity stolen. Finally I can afford some parts!
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 8:56:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AmericanCheese] [#39]

View Quote

Great...leave me hanging as the only clone build with a DPMS lower

Colt fanboy
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 8:56:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AstraPat] [#40]

View All Quotes

Donald Patrick Moloney III. You have BOTH serial #'s from that pic AND my full irish name. I ain't skeeered...
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 8:57:03 PM EDT
[#41]
I mount my red dots near the center of the upper. #becausegunscience
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 8:57:50 PM EDT
[#42]

View Quote

Nice! I want one....
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 8:58:21 PM EDT
[#43]

Colt fanboy
View All Quotes

Colt fanboy

Lol. Yeh, enough is enough. Although, it will be a while before its complete.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 8:58:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Stoner25mkiv] [#44]

View Quote

It MAY affect the fit of the can.   Here's the deal........if you look at the picture that I think ECPrevatte posted a few days ago, of his 4 prong after entended use, you can see the surfaces that are used to locate the can. (they are relatively shiney/clean, compared to the non bearing surfaces)  I can't remember if that area is actually used to hold the can concentric or not.........but if it is, you'll need to hone/dremel/grind the "bulge" back down to the original plane.
About the needed wrench.........I've found that claw foot socket wrenches are just the ticket for installing fh's. They can be used with a torque wrench too, an added benefit.  Claw foot socket wrenches for those that might not know, are the tools that look like the end of an open endwrench, but are made to be used with a ratchet or torque wrench.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 9:00:21 PM EDT
[#45]

View All Quotes

Colt fanboy

Melt some aluminum into your DPMS lower, and send it to your ol' mean, degrading pal milspec, so he can mill it out and have another A2 lower.

Engraving looks good bro.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 9:00:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Anyone know how close duracoat dd fed is.   If I do this fsp mk18 project I need to figure out what to refinish the rail with
View Quote

From what I found online it isn't an exact match. People also fail finding a cerakote that matches.  I did a lot of research on this, thinking that I might be able to chop the black rail and paint it to mach the FDE color.  The rail is anodized, and I found a company that does anodizing the FDE color, I'll look and see if I can find them again.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 9:03:38 PM EDT
[#47]

1.) MK18 Mod 0

2.) Third CQBR

3.) EOD

4.) British Clone

Ideas?

View Quote

Hands down #1
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 9:04:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By chenault:

From what I found online it isn't an exact match. People also fail finding a cerakote that matches.  I did a lot of research on this, thinking that I might be able to chop the black rail and paint it to mach the FDE color.  The rail is anodized, and I found a company that does anodizing the FDE color, I'll look and see if I can find them again.
View All Quotes

Ferret had a black RIS II that was either dura or cerakoted very close to the RIS II FDE. It wasn't exact, but it was hard to tell.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 9:05:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AstraPat] [#49]

Melt some aluminum into your DPMS lower, and send it to your ol' mean, degrading pal milspec, so he can mill it out and have another A2 lower.

View All Quotes

Colt fanboy

Hell of an idea. I got it as is from another member on here. I'm sooo excited about it!!!

I have been looking for that huge can of grizzly In my travels. I'm going to send you a few when I find it.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 9:08:03 PM EDT
[#50]

View All Quotes

This is what you seek.  They list the DD FDE color on their pricing list.  Most likely the closest that you will find.  Always a pleasure helping a fellow Cowboy.
Page / 1565
Mk 18 / CQBR (Page 532 of 1565)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top