BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 127
Link Posted: 5/20/2014 3:11:16 PM EDT
[#1]
The saw?  I thought it was not reliable so much with boxen mags?

Also, in all your years of using an alimi um carrier, you've always run a full power spring.  

Also, have you ever had the bolt bounce open and not go back fully into battery?  

I guess you are bawically saying that bolt bounce happens but it is a non-issue in semi auto?  It bounces but just snaps back closed before you could ever notice?

It has occurred to me that the buffer is like a dead blow hammer hitting one in the shoulder.
Link Posted: 5/20/2014 3:25:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: C_1] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By djkest:
What I meant was lightweight versions. There are plenty of 0.625" gas blocks out there also including BCM, VLTOR, Armalite, DPMS, RRA, etc.

Many of the 0.625" gas blocks were simply 0.750" gas blocks with a smaller bore. This made them very heavy. Some of the newer 0.625" gas blocks have been re-engineered to specifically function at the smaller size. So the "thickness" is normal and not excessive, and the "rise" is higher proportionally than the 0.750" blocks.
View Quote

True, but I think we can add the VLTOR 0.625" set screw LPGB to the LW parts list.

The VLTOR 0.625 gas block is smaller than the 0.750 version, so maybe it's lighter than the claimed 1.4 oz weight.

Specs from VLTOR:
Overall Length: 1.00 inch
Overall Width (0.625” bore): 0.800 inch
Overall Width (0.750” bore): 0.925 inch

Bottom Thickness (measured from centerline of the bore of 0.625 inch gas block):
0.500 inch- Set Screw Gas Block
0.600 inch- Clamp Gas Block

Bottom Thickness (measured from centerline of the bore of 0.750 inch gas block):
0.560 inch- Set Screw Gas Block

Weight:
1.4 oz- Set Screw Gas Block
1.6 oz- Clamp Gas Block
Link Posted: 5/20/2014 4:11:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By rightwingnut:

No, the M-231 Firing Port Weapon

Also, in all your years of using an alimi um carrier, you've always run a full power spring.  

Actually I run a Wolff XP Spring

Also, have you ever had the bolt bounce open and not go back fully into battery?  

NEVER, even on my M-16 when running the Aluminum carrier.

I guess you are bawically saying that bolt bounce happens but it is a non-issue in semi auto?  It bounces but just snaps back closed before you could ever notice?

It has occurred to me that the buffer is like a dead blow hammer hitting one in the shoulder.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/20/2014 4:54:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By C_1:
The VLTOR 0.625 gas block is smaller than the 0.750 version, so maybe it's lighter than the claimed 1.4 oz weight.

Specs from VLTOR:
Overall Length: 1.00 inch
Overall Width (0.625” bore): 0.800 inch
Overall Width (0.750” bore): 0.925 inch

Bottom Thickness (measured from centerline of the bore of 0.625 inch gas block):
0.500 inch- Set Screw Gas Block

Bottom Thickness (measured from centerline of the bore of 0.750 inch gas block):
0.560 inch- Set Screw Gas Block

Weight:
1.4 oz- Set Screw Gas Block
1.6 oz- Clamp Gas Block
View Quote

Great, I added this to the list. Looks like a very solid option. IMO the VLTOR pieces have excellent fit and finish.
Link Posted: 5/21/2014 1:08:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: frsteve] [#5]
@djkest - I made a delta list of my parts and measurements.  Some of the entries are simply converting some of your manufacturer based numbers to user confirmed number.  I tried to keep in the same order as your spreadsheet to make easier to import.  I've added a few items that are commonly installed on the hardguard to the handguard section.

Thanks again for all your work on this thread and on the spreadsheet!!!

Muzzle Devices
Primary Weapon Systems FSC556 Comp 2.60 U
A2 Flash Hider Extended w/ crush washer 2.25 U
A2 Flash Hider w/ crush washer 1.80 U
Rainier Arms Mini-Comp (RMC) + Washer (1.5+.1) 1.6 U

Bolt Carrier Groups
Daniel Defense Bolt Carrier Group (MPI, Semi-Auto) 11.70 U
JP Enterprises LMOS Complete Bolt Carrier Group (SS finish) 8.75 U

Gas Blocks
SLR Rifleworks Sentry7 Clamp-On 1.40 U
Kies Adjustable Gas Block 2.00 U
VLTOR low profile Gas block .625" 1.40 U
Daniel Defense Low Profile Gas Block .750" (set screw version) 1.40 U

Upper Receiver
Mag Tactical Systems Upper Receiver 4.80 U
Aero Precision Upper Receiver (standard) 7.05 U

Misc
A2 Front Sight Block with pins (no post) 4.85 U
Standard Handguard End Cap 0.25 U

Barrels
Daniel Defense 14.5" Midlength Lightweight 1:7 .750" barrel 23.15 U
Del-Ton 16" Midlength Lightweight 1:9 .750” barrel  26.35 U
Voodoo Innovations 16.5" Rifle-Length EVO Ultra Lite .750” barrel  21.50 U

Free-Float Handguards
Midwest Industries Gen2 SS-12" Free Float (with custom barrel nut) 9.75 U
AP Custom Carbon Fiber Handguard 12.375" (uses standard barrel nut) 5.35 U

Rail Ladder Covers 0.50 U
Magpul XTR Handstop (complete) 1.55 U
Magpul XTR - Tall Stop 0.80 U
Magpul XTR - Short Stop 0.35 U
Magpul XTR - long cover 0.25 U
Magpul XTR - short cover 0.15 U
Magpul AFG2 2.86 U
Magpul RVG 3.25 U
Daniel Defense Vertical ForeGrip 2.70 U
2" Picatinny Rail Section (no screws) 0.40 U

LPK / MISC
ALG ACT Fire Control Group (springs and pins included) 2.55 U
ALG ACT Hammer + Pin (no spring) 1.15 U
ALG ACT Hammer Spring 0.10 U
ALG ACT Trigger + Sear + Pin (no spring) 1.25 U
ALG ACT rigger Spring 0.05 U
JP Yellow Springs (hammer and trigger) 0.15 U
Magpul BAD Lever 0.20 U
Rear Buffer Detent and Spring 0.05 U

Safety
BADASS Ambi Safety (Standard+Short levers) 0.75 U
(there are a whole bunch of different options/combos available)

Buffers and Springs
Taccom3G ULW Buffer 1.15 U
Spikes Tactical ST-T1 3.0 U
Spikes Tactical ST-T2 4.1 U
JP Silent Capture Spring (SCS) 7.20 U

Lower Receiver
Mag Tactical Systems Lower Receiver 5.88 U
Aero Precision Lower Receiver 9.0 U

Buttstocks
ACE AR-UL-E Fixed Stock (includes buffer tube) 5.00 U
Magpul MOE Stock (black) 5.30 U

Pistol Grips
Magpul MOE+ Grip (FDE) 3.20 U
Magpul Grip Base Cover 0.20 U
A2 Grip (there is a range) 2.55 - 2.90 U
Grip Screw 0.15 U

Optics
Bushnell TRS-25 3MOA Red Dot (with bikini cover) 4.0 U
UTG High Mount (1.0" rise) 1.80 U
UTG Medium Mount (0.825" rise) 1.65 U
UTG Low Mount (0.5" rise) 1.35 U
Daniel Defense T-1 Micro Mount (1/3CW - High Mount) 1.75 U

OTHERS
30rd PMAG Gen3 Windowed (empty) 4.85 U
Raddlock Bullet Button 0.20 U

Link Posted: 5/21/2014 3:27:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By PursuitSS:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By PursuitSS:

No, the M-231 Firing Port Weapon

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q125/PursuitSS/Postings%20photos/57b4605d58fe76ba6b253d5d6f11e97c.jpg

Actually I run a Wolff XP Spring

NEVER, even on my M-16 when running the Aluminum carrier.

Okay.  Thx
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 4:30:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Did we know tbe gunfighter stock is only 7.5 oz??  Looms sleek and stronger fhan any other.
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/05/04/bravo-companys-bcm-gunfighter-stock/
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 8:53:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Did anyone get a measurement for a mil spec mag catch?

Thanks
Wes
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 9:12:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Did we know tbe gunfighter stock is only 7.5 oz??  Looms sleek and stronger fhan any other.
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/05/04/bravo-companys-bcm-gunfighter-stock/
View Quote

Weight, and manufacturer aside. I don't want that monstrosity anywhere near any of my rifles!

The Rogers Super-Stoc Spartan is way better, and weighs 2oz. lighter.
Link Posted: 5/25/2014 2:28:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LMTRocks] [#10]
I stripped my Mag Tactical upper tonight and it arrived at 4.75oz from the original weight of 6.3oz with the hardware installed.  There will be a F/A plug going in it's place.

This is one of the Aero precision uppers with the hardware added to it.

I also got one of my uppers back from cerakote and it originally weighed 7.5oz and the same after the coating so cerakote doesn't really add any appreciable weight to the assembly.
Once I installed the F/A and roll pin and spring, it jumped to 8.3 without a door.  This one won't be receiving any door hardware.

And this is a Core15 barrel nut: 1.6oz
Link Posted: 5/25/2014 9:20:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Where did you find the mag tactical upper and what did it cost you?

I can only find lowers short of buying directly from mag tactical at full MSRP.

Thanks
Wes
Link Posted: 5/25/2014 9:52:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DWood] [#12]
Originally Posted By Wangstang:
Where did you find the mag tactical upper and what did it cost you?

I can only find lowers short of buying directly from mag tactical at full MSRP.

Thanks
Wes
View Quote

I was looking for one before I went with the Balios Lite. They were only available from Mag Tactical at that time.

Link Posted: 5/25/2014 10:01:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DWood] [#13]
Link Posted: 5/25/2014 1:39:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LMTRocks] [#14]
Mag Tactical's website is the only place they're available AFAIK.

Assembled uppers

I'd bet a non-FA upper from them would be fairly close to the existing model without hardware.  There's not much weight in the whole receiver and subtracting what might only be 10% of the whole assembly would be what I consider a diminishing return.

It would take a company like BCM to arrive with an upper similarly constructed of a magnesium alloy without such features to grab my attention as long as I could get one for about $150.
Link Posted: 5/25/2014 2:43:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By LMTRocks:

Assembled uppers

I'd bet a non-FA upper from them would be fairly close to the existing model without hardware.  There's not much weight in the whole receiver and subtracting what might only be 10% of the whole assembly would be what I consider a diminishing returnn.

It would take a company like BCM to arrive with an upper similarly constructed of a magnesium alloy without such features to grab my attention as long as I could get one for about $150.
View Quote

If similarly constructed means cast then it would be a no go for me, even if BCM built it.
Link Posted: 5/25/2014 4:03:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By DWood:

If similarly constructed means cast then it would be a no go for me, even if BCM built it.
View All Quotes

Assembled uppers

I'd bet a non-FA upper from them would be fairly close to the existing model without hardware.  There's not much weight in the whole receiver and subtracting what might only be 10% of the whole assembly would be what I consider a diminishing returnn.

I agree!
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 1:04:48 AM EDT
[#17]
The Aero Precision upper at Brownells is here under part# 100-014-637WB.

Their list price is $95 but the "discount" is $81.50

If I could make a recommendation here, go with the Aero since it has no F/A provisions and looks cleaner imho.

The difference is 4.75 for the Mag Tac or 6.45 for the Aero with nothing attached.

Is twice the price worth 1.7oz?

I don't think so.
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 11:54:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By xtreme762:

I agree!
View All Quotes

Assembled uppers

I agree!

yeah, im kind of on the fence about the MT receivers.  The lower, well, I suppose it is a good deal sttrong at the back than a "crbon fiber" one, the upper, it won't melt, but is it strong enough? Can it hold up being fallen on or whatever w/o failing at the front where the barrel extention fits??
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 2:48:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rooster-Cogburn] [#19]
Does anyone know what a VLTOR .750" clamp on gas block weighs? I got one pretty cheap the other day. I know it probably isn't considered light, but figured maybe it is light compared to other clamp ons. Sorry if this has been posted already, and I missed it. I checked the chart and didnt see it. Thanks.

Link Posted: 5/26/2014 4:07:29 PM EDT
[#20]
I believe the Mag Tactical uppers will be sufficiently strong for practical use.

I don't know what kind of testing they subject their rifles to but I doubt that receiver will be under the same scrutiny as a carbon will.  I'd never use a carbon gun no matter who made it.

I believe the type of alloy used is sufficient for use with quality barrels and quality ammo.
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 12:54:15 AM EDT
[#21]
The Aero Precision upper at Brownells is here under part# 100-014-637WB.

Their list price is $95 but the "discount" is $81.50

If I could make a recommendation here, go with the Aero since it has no F/A provisions and looks cleaner imho.

The difference is 4.75 for the Mag Tac or 6.45 for the Aero with nothing attached.

Is twice the price worth 1.7oz?

I don't think so.
View Quote

The Aero Precision upper is also forged from a stronger material, so that is a benefit that comes with the higher weight.
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 10:14:43 AM EDT
[#22]
I believe the Mag Tactical uppers will be sufficiently strong for practical use.

I don't know what kind of testing they subject their rifles to but I doubt that receiver will be under the same scrutiny as a carbon CHEAP ASS PLASTIC will.  I'd never use a carbon CHEAP ASS PLASTIC gun no matter who made it.

I believe the type of alloy used is sufficient for use with quality barrels and quality ammo.
View Quote

Fixed it.
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 11:29:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Shao] [#23]
I didn't bother reading through all 15 pages since someone needs to consolidate the info.  I do think that if you're going to weigh some of these parts, the trigger guard needs to be taken into consideration.  I believe the lightest is/was made by Ergo (I think) and was/is the same shape and construction as a mil-spec trigger guard.  The next lightest would be a Strike Industries plastic trigger guard (the one with no shelves and not the fang).  Also, Strike Industries apparently makes a new polymer dust cover that should be weighed and added to the list.  What about bolt catches and mag buttons?  Have those been covered?  What about the difference between crush and peel washers?  I mean - lightweight is good, but some people go overboard.  I like V7's stuff, but I still don't trust an aluminum mag catch.  I'm not so sure about the RE castle nut either.  I think the KMR by BCM is a great idea but I'm still not sold on the strength of the mag/al alloy yet.  One slip on the rocks and I could see that thing cracking or bending easily.  I just say we all inject ourselves with steroids and make ARs out of nothing but steel and titanium!  If you can't lug around an 11 lb. gun, you're a pansy!  Our grandparents/great grandparents did it!  :D
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 11:35:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Shao:
I didn't bother reading through all 15 pages since someone needs to consolidate the info.  I do think that if you're going to weigh some of these parts, the trigger guard needs to be taken into consideration.  I believe the lightest is/was made by Ergo (I think) and was/is the same shape and construction as a mil-spec trigger guard.  The next lightest would be a Strike Industries plastic trigger guard (the one with no shelves and not the fang).  Also, Strike Industries apparently makes a new polymer dust cover that should be weighed and added to the list.  What about bolt catches and mag buttons?  Have those been covered?  What about the difference between crush and peel washers?  I mean - lightweight is good, but some people go overboard.  I like V7's stuff, but I still don't trust an aluminum mag catch.  I'm not so sure about the RE castle nut either.  I think the KMR by BCM is a great idea but I'm still not sold on the strength of the mag/al alloy yet.  One slip on the rocks and I could see that thing cracking or bending easily.  I just say we all inject ourselves with steroids and make ARs out of nothing but steel and titanium!  If you can't lug around an 11 lb. gun, you're a pansy!  Our grandparents/great grandparents did it!  :D
View Quote

WOW! I think it takes a "Pansy" to come into a thread, and insult everyone for wanting to build a light rifle. It has nothing to do with being able to "Lug" an 11lb. rifle around.

Of course if you had read all 15 pages you would understand this. Instead you came in here, and made yourself look like a "Pansy"!
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 11:39:57 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Shao:
View Quote

A whopping 18 posts and he comes out attacking members who are pushing the envelope and trying to build lightweight AR's.
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 12:06:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9divdoc] [#26]
I think the KMR by BCM is a great idea but I'm still not sold on the strength of the mag/al alloy yet.
View Quote

Yeah never mind the thousands of hours of destructive and non destructive testing as well as real world testing..and the informed
opinions of noted experts.....LOL
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 12:16:08 PM EDT
[#27]
I've been considering a response here for a couple of days now. I hope it is considered appropriate.

Ronnie Barrett originally designed the M107/82 as a "man portable" 50cal rifle and in the last few years, variants of that rifle have been lightened compared to the original because that will allow the user to carry more ammo or allow more rifles to be transported via airplane into theater due to weight restrictions.

Wanting a lighter gun doesn't mean shooters are weaker or need a gym membership or need to do push ups.

It means companies like BCM, Doublestar, Mag Tactical and 2A-Armament are trying to do their part to make the shooter more capable.  Ask Robb Jensen of VA Arms Co why he built a rifle that finished under 6lbs that included an Aimpoint Micro, a VLTOR A5 RE, DD backup sights, a TLR-3, and finished at the ubiquitous 87oz.  If you've ever thought of Robb as weak or needing to do push ups, I dare you to tell him directly.  The details of that rifle are available on TOS.

I'm finding myself building a handful lightweight rifle because my girlfriend would be better served with a lightweight gun to learn with and I enjoy building rifles and refining my skills and furthering my abilities and answering the questions that people ask of me.  If a gun can be improved upon with minimal modification then why not do it?  I vastly prefer to do something which I can learn from because once I've done it, I have that experience and if I fail to do it, I've lost it forever.

I will continue to pursue improvement in the rifles I build, and continue to ask MFGs to implement some ideas I have, and see this industry better itself so that people in the coming years find a better gun to buy.

When you watch closely the rifle you're building or attaching accessories to, you may quickly realize that the chosen components make it much wider, taller, and heavier.  If 2 identical rifles each receive a light, optic, and VFG from Surefire, Larue, and Trijicon Accupoint 1-4 and the other rifle receives a TLR-1, Magpul RVG, and Vortex 1-4, the 2nd one will be about a pound lighter than the other with what I consider no loss in capability.

It pays to pay attention to what you install on your gun.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 1:16:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AR_DIESEL] [#28]
If there's anyone looking for a good lightweight scope, I picked up a leupold fx-II 4x30 for a hunting rifle. It weighs 8.95 oz! Lighter than the listed weight which was 10.3oz iirc. My stock tikka t3 lite will weigh under 7lbs, unloaded.

Eta: leupold makes a 3-9x33 ultralight scope for a few more dollars that's supposed to weigh 9.5oz iirc, if you want a variable power.
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 9:15:23 AM EDT
[#29]
Anyone know the weight of a Magpul BAD lever + milspec bolt catch? Seeing if an Phase 5 EBRv2 is worth the upgrade...
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 10:17:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: hipower90] [#30]
The "pansy" comment is typical from guys that try and justify why a given rifle might be otherwise heavier then it could be. Too each his own of course, since I couldn't care less otherwise. But anyone whos totted a rifle, ammo, secondary weapon and its spare ammo, blades, cleaning/support gear, web gear, sustenance gear, etc etc..already knows the importance/advantages of having lighter(but still very effective) gear. And this is aside from a lighter weapon being able to be wielded quicker in some instances then a heavier porkier rifle. Carrying a lighter rifle? ..or sidearm? ..or titanium cooking gear? ..or silnylon shelter? If so, one can then carry more ammo/mags, food/water, or maybe that water filter(or very possibly less ammo) that otherwise would have been left behind, etc etc. You get the idea.

And fwiw, I'm in better shape then most(race competitive XC and 12 hour endurance mtn bicycles, avid backpacker, whitewater kayak, and otherwise hike daily here in the mtns) and I damn sure want the lightest gear avail as long as effectiveness isn't affected of course. This also goes for my backpacking gear. I've hiked for 6-7 days while solo  in the wilderness/back country with just 10lbs of base gear countless times and lived like a king. So its very doable. Nothing to do with how strong someone is. Far from it.

Link Posted: 6/9/2014 7:43:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DWood] [#31]
To get the lightweight parts thread off of Page 6, here is a shot my just completed lower on the scale. The final build should be well under 5 pounds. The upper must wait until I send the barrel off to have the comp pinned.

</a>" />

1 lb. 11.6 ounces

Balios Lite lower
Ace ARUL stock/buffer tube
Magpul K grip Gen 2
Taccom 3G rifle buffer
Standard rifle spring
ALG ACT trigger
WOA lower parts kit

EDIT:

Here is the upper pieced loosely together, with all parts but the Strike industries dust cover (.4 oz.) and the mounting bolts for the KMR.

" />

2 pounds 15 oz.
Balios Lite upper
14.5" DD mid-length lightweight .625 barrel
SLR Series 6 adjustable gas block and mid-length gas tube
BCM KMR-10
BCM Comp Mod 1
JP LMOS bcg
Raptor CH
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 9:39:19 PM EDT
[#32]
I know it's not considered light weight, but the Quentin Defense lower I just picked up weighs 9.2oz and that has both the take-down tension screw installed and their threaded bolt catch roll pin also.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 11:42:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rightwingnut] [#33]
here is another carbon fiber handguard that you can take apart but that is as light as the Clark custom tube.

http://www.carbonarms.us/Carbon-Feather-Handguards/

this shoudl def be added to the OP.    This is definately stronger than the trunsion system of the AP customs, but can be taken apart, unlie the clark custom.  

It comes non venetaleted but can be order w/ custom holes or length.

Link Posted: 6/15/2014 1:40:00 AM EDT
[#34]
OP, here are some more barrels for the OP

Ballistic advantage makes some 21 oz "pencil" 14.5" barrels.  All are HP/MPI tested/inspected and the chrome moly barrels are milspec 4150 steel, though they are not chrome bore.  

Here is a 1x7 chrome molly
http://ballisticadvantagellc.com/?product=5-56-14-7-pencil-midlength-625
$185

http://ballisticadvantagellc.com/?product=5-56-14-5-government-midlength-625

$225

Saying that a carbine gas system one is also 21 oz..

here is a SS 1x8 pencil barrel:
http://ballisticadvantagellc.com/?product=5-56-14-5-pencil-midlength-625
$265
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 12:59:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Best 10.5 barrel for a thread on suppressor, opinions?
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 2:28:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By thegeneric:
View Quote

You do understand this thread is for "Light Weight" parts, right?
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 4:55:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: thegeneric] [#37]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By thegeneric:

Yep, to clarify, hoping for a recommendation for the lightest 10.5 barrel.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 6:08:51 PM EDT
[#38]
yeah, ballistic advantage might have one, but i was just looking and looking and all i could find was hbars and government profile.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 6:13:31 PM EDT
[#39]
J&T Dist offers a 10.5" light weight. But it has the std FSB.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 2:49:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Wmcray] [#40]
Balios Lite stripped upper 5.87 oz
Balios Lite stripped lower 6.6 oz  with tension screw.
Balios Lite stripped upper and lower 12.47 oz total.  Very close to advertised weight.

Magpul grip screw .236 oz
Aluminum grip screw .097 oz

Boomfab carrier with RCA adjustable gas key 4.36 oz
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 7:22:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dogtired] [#41]
Can anyone recommend a functional lightweight brake for competition?  It is difficult to navigate all 16 pages.  Thanks in advance.

That Boomfab is cool but to many $$$ for me.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 8:35:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By dogtired:
Can anyone recommend a functional lightweight brake for competition?  It is difficult to navigate all 16 pages.  Thanks in advance.

View Quote

Any of the mini comps should work fine.  I've got an AAC on my lightweight build.  Rainier makes one that's probably a tad more functional since it has top ports as well as the side ports.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 8:42:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: m411b30] [#43]
Originally Posted By JoshAston:

Any of the mini comps should work fine.  I've got an AAC on my lightweight build.  Rainier makes one that's probably a tad more functional since it has top ports as well as the side ports.
View All Quotes

The Rainier mini comp. works great. But you are gonna want to wear plugs, and muffs(and that doesn't work 75% of the time). Unless you particularly like getting hit in the head with a baseball bat every time you pull the trigger.......

That comp. literally puts ALL of the concussion back onto the shooter, and it extremely sucks balls bad! It hurts to shoot with that comp.. Whatever you do, DO NOT shoot one with no protection. You will be sorry.

ETA: The only other LW comp. that I have experience with is the PWS FSC556(2.5oz.), and I love the thing. Works beautifully, and throws the concussion to the sides, up, and down.

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 8:48:09 PM EDT
[#44]

The Rainier mini comp. works great. But you are gonna want to wear plugs, and muffs(and that doesn't work 75% of the time). Unless you particularly like getting hit in the head with a baseball bat every time you pull the trigger.......

That comp. literally puts ALL of the concussion back onto the shooter, and it extremely sucks balls bad! It hurts to shoot with that comp.. Whatever you do, DO NOT shoot one with no protection. You will be sorry.
View All Quotes

The AAC is the same
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 11:38:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 2:44:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rightwingnut] [#46]
Here is a submission in the sling category:

The proctor style sing,  it adjusts similar to a vcas or vtac sling, but it uses supplied paracord loops used in cow hitch loops to secure to the gun.  

relateive to this thread, it is lighter  than another quick adjust sling systme in that it does not require mounts, hooks, sockets etc.

http://www.wayofthegun.us/products/proctor-sling/
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 9:55:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DWood] [#47]
That is the sling I will be using.

Video Review

On a side note, I'm looking at less than 5 pounds for my build, or maybe an ounce or two over with a T-1 and Fortis mount. I see alot of guns going in the LW Picture thread that are over 7 pounds.

What is the consensus (is that possible on the Internet) on what is "lightweight", including sights/optics, but without a magazine? (a Colt 6720 is just over 6 pounds out of the box).

I'm thinking less than 6 pounds complete without mag, and ideally less than five. I could have sworn the picture thread posted a 6 pound limit, but guys are posting 8 pounders over there.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 10:00:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PursuitSS] [#48]

On a side note, I'm looking at less than 5 pounds for my build, or maybe an ounce or two over with a T-1 and Fortis mount. I see alot of guns going in the LW Picture thread that are over 7 pounds.

What is the consensus (is that possible on the Internet) on what is "lightweight", including sights/optics, but without a magazine? (a Colt 6720 is just over 6 pounds out of the box).

I'm thinking less than 6 pounds complete without mag, and ideally less than five. I could have sworn the picture thread posted a 6 pound limit, but guys are posting 8 pounders over there.
View All Quotes

Yeah, you nailed it. Members are posting pigs that THEY consider "lightweight".

The OP listed 6 lbs or BELOW!

From the original thread...

Originally Posted By L119188:
I've seen several other light weight picture threads that included 8 pounders. Lets look at some real challenging builds. Rules are...gotta have a pic, gotta have the weight of the empty rifle. The rifle must weigh six pounds or less. I'll go first.

Link Posted: 6/19/2014 10:22:00 AM EDT
[#49]

Video Review

View Quote

I agree with this. Folks are also posting 22LR rifles with polymer receivers, and such. Which I think is not what the OP intended. I think what we have going here is more lending to the "Lightweight" rifle.

There needs to be a thread with down right specifics that gets weeded through by the mods to keep the folks that just want to "Show Off" their rifle rather than stick to the point of the thread. We may be able to get a mod to help out with that.

I also think 6lbs. is a little heavy for a lightweight rifle.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 10:28:41 AM EDT
[#50]
I sent my barrel off to Adco yesterday to have the gas block and comp pinned. As soon as I get it back I will complete my Helios Lite build. I should have sent it off weeks ago but i was dicking around looking for a local gunsmith. It would have been done by now.
Page / 127
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top