User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 127
Link Posted: 5/8/2014 3:45:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
  ..................  As to what buffer  model 1 sells it complete, however they sent me a riffle buffer and spring the instructions call for a car buffer and spring. ...................
View Quote

All the info and photos I have found show a rifle buffer and spring with the Ace ARUL. To confirm, I just called Ace, and they verified that a rifle buffer and spring are the correct parts. the Entry version requires the carbine buffer according to Ace.
Link Posted: 5/8/2014 6:14:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By DWood:

All the info and photos I have found show a rifle buffer and spring with the Ace ARUL. To confirm, I just called Ace, and they verified that a rifle buffer and spring are the correct parts. the Entry version requires the carbine buffer according to Ace.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
  ..................  As to what buffer  model 1 sells it complete, however they sent me a riffle buffer and spring the instructions call for a car buffer and spring. ...................

Yes didn't make sense your bolt would smash the receiver.  Now I'm not sure were the 11oz weight came from.  I weighed
The stock without the buffer and it was 9.6. Add the buffer and spring and your up well past that.
Link Posted: 5/8/2014 11:48:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rightwingnut] [#3]
Originally Posted By Wmcray:

Another option is a adjustable gas key.  This allows the use of low mass BCG for less money.  RCA and Sun devil are making these.  I am using one with excellent results and let's me also use the V7 titanium gas block for the most weight savings.
View All Quotes
Would this be cheating?

BCM Enhanced LW

The only thing I would not be able to get is the Syrac adjustable gas block, which I am considering with a JP LMOS bolt carrier.

I sure would like to know when the BCM Enhanced LW barrels will be available, if ever, for those of us that like to build.

Another option is a adjustable gas key.  This allows the use of low mass BCG for less money.  RCA and Sun devil are making these.  I am using one with excellent results and let's me also use the V7 titanium gas block for the most weight savings.

interesting:

that could be a good way to moderate an overgassed gun, provided the set screw can be staked so it doesn't work loose.  This makes a  pinned chopped aluminum FSB an even better option.
Link Posted: 5/8/2014 11:58:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By jmiro:

Yes didn't make sense your bolt would smash the receiver.  Now I'm not sure were the 11oz weight came from.  I weighed
The stock without the buffer and it was 9.6. Add the buffer and spring and your up well past that.
View All Quotes

uugg.  you don't inlude the buffer and spring in the weight.    THat is the a seperate issue easily accounted for.

If you order the shrote version from ACE, they include teh short receiver extention that uses the carbine reciver extention, short foam tube, gusset, butt, & two rubber pads.

if you order the long version, you do NOT get the receiver extention, and you get a longer foam tube.
Link Posted: 5/9/2014 10:04:19 AM EDT
[#5]
  If you order the shrote version from ACE, they include teh short receiver extention that uses the carbine reciver extention, short foam tube, gusset, butt, & two rubber pads.

if you order the long version, you do NOT get the receiver extention, and you get a longer foam tube.
View Quote

RWN, can you elaborate? Every vendor I have looked at says the tube is part of the ARUL. The Ace Skeleton (which has the lower bar) is the one that does not include the RE and uses the existing rifle RE.

Ace Stocks

Link Posted: 5/9/2014 10:16:06 AM EDT
[#6]

RWN, can you elaborate? Every vendor I have looked at says the tube is part of the ARUL. The Ace Skeleton (which has the lower bar) is the one that does not include the RE and uses the existing rifle RE.

Ace Stocks

View All Quotes

Ace Stocks

If you go to j-t distributing, which is ace, you will find that they sell it ad stock, foam and end plate only.  No extension.  There is a ular that is listed that is entry length that has a short tube.  IMHO if your looking at weight over function that would be the ticket.  As it uses the carbine length tube.  The weight of the riffle buffer almost negates any saving with stock.  Unless I'm missing something now that I have the ular and minimalist set up to compare.  
Link Posted: 5/9/2014 10:19:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Alright, I took the plunge yesterday and started ordering parts for a LW build. I realize that saving 2 - 4 ounces on as many items as possible adds up to significant weight savings. I found a DD 14.5" LW mid-length in the old .625 configuration yesterday, which started me off.

As I see it, the lightest grip available is the MOE K, which is slightly lighter than the Umbrella Model 23. Anyone got anything lighter?
Link Posted: 5/9/2014 2:29:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Make sure you weigh the "K" grip when you get it. Reports are that the design has been modified, and it is heavier now.
Link Posted: 5/9/2014 2:36:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By djkest:
Make sure you weigh the "K" grip when you get it. Reports are that the design has been modified, and it is heavier now.
View Quote

I find it aggravating that, for the most part, companies don't list the weight of their products. It is doubly frustrating when something is pitched as 'lightweigt" like barrels, yet the weight isn't posted or even available through search.

If the K grip is not as light as originally posted, I may rethink it. Thanks

Link Posted: 5/9/2014 3:57:25 PM EDT
[#10]
I weighed the ones we have in the shop. K-grip that is.  Don't remember the exact numbers but they were all a little above 2 ounces.
Link Posted: 5/9/2014 4:39:54 PM EDT
[#11]
I weighed the ones we have in the shop. K-grip that is.  Don't remember the exact numbers but they were all a little above 2 ounces.
View Quote

Thanks. Apparently it weighs a little more than the 1.94 oz. posted on page 1, but it still seems to be the lightest grip.
Link Posted: 5/11/2014 9:39:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Shepherd Arms Titanium firing pin: 4.8 grams

http://imgur.com/Anjy9yF
Link Posted: 5/11/2014 11:58:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Nameless_Hobo] [#13]
So what do you guys think is the best bang for your buck? It looks to me like MagTac lowers, but I'm not sure of how durable they are, to be honest with you. That, or a lightweight BCG, but again, I am unsure about how that may negatively affect my reliability.
I'm trying to drop weight, while still retaining as much durability, reliability and function as possible. I've got a pretty light gun, as it is, but I am going to screw that up with a magnified optic, before too long.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 8:19:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DWood] [#14]
Originally Posted By Nameless_Hobo:
So what do you guys think is the best bang for your buck? It looks to me like MagTac lowers, but I'm not sure of how durable they are, to be honest with you. That, or a lightweight BCG, but again, I am unsure about how that may negatively affect my reliability.
I'm trying to drop weight, while still retaining as much durability, reliability and function as possible. I've got a pretty light gun, as it is, but I am going to screw that up with a magnified optic, before too long.
View Quote

Best bang for the buck? That depends. You say you want to retain durability, which to me means a forged, or billet, receiver. The Mag Tactical is the lightest option and I almost ordered one, but I just can't do it since it is cast. That's just my opinion.

I am trying the new 2A Armament set posted already in this thread. The cost is much higher than the Mag Tac.

I would look at an Aero Precision upper without FA and either an Aero precision lower, or the Mag Tactical if you are OK with cast magnesium alloy. I would not be comfortable with a cast upper.

Link Posted: 5/12/2014 8:58:36 AM EDT
[#15]
View Quote

Mine was, for sure.

There is a new K grip out now, just came out in last few weeks. Probably explained why K grips were so hard to come by.

Interested to see the weight on the latest iteration.

Link Posted: 5/12/2014 9:14:51 AM EDT
[#16]
View Quote

What's the current set up and weight of your rifle?

What's the weight or approximate weight gained by adding an optic and mount?

Once you figure those out, figure out what your goal weight is and weigh the options.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 1:03:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TZLVredmist] [#17]
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 1:29:32 PM EDT
[#18]
View Quote

I have two Mag Tactical lowers built up with a few hundred rounds fired from each of them. No issues yet but I'm not knocking doors down with them like so many others here must do. Just shooting holes in paper. I just picked up 4 more Mag Tactical lowers for $54.00 each. With occasional bargains like that, I really don't care if one ever failed for whatever reason.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 6:34:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By TZLVredmist:
I think this could easily be shaped down to a 6 lb rifle using other lightweight parts listed in this thread.  I was just curious what a somewhat feature rich rifle would weigh. The upper is also a pre-production belled front model. so with the production upper, this would be in the 6.x range weight wise.
View Quote

I could get a rifle built on those receivers down to about 3 lbs, maybe a hair under.  I'll be giving it a shot as soon as I pcs to a free state.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 6:52:17 PM EDT
[#20]
My build with the Balios lite set will hopefully be 5lbs 2oz using a 16" barrel.  Just waiting along with everyone else.
Link Posted: 5/13/2014 9:27:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Strike Industries dust cover assembly is .4 ounces according to the answer they gave me on Facebook.

UDC
Link Posted: 5/13/2014 9:40:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By JoshAston:

I could get a rifle built on those receivers down to about 3 lbs, maybe a hair under.  I'll be giving it a shot as soon as I pcs to a free state.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JoshAston:
Originally Posted By TZLVredmist:
I think this could easily be shaped down to a 6 lb rifle using other lightweight parts listed in this thread.  I was just curious what a somewhat feature rich rifle would weigh. The upper is also a pre-production belled front model. so with the production upper, this would be in the 6.x range weight wise.

Wow, I have a Balios lite set on order, but was not thinking a weight below 5 pounds would be possible. What parts would you use to go down that light?

I have ordered the following:

DD .625 14.5" LW mid-length barrel (was lucky to find one)
BCM Mod 1 comp (to be pinned)
JP LMOS BCG
BCM KMR 10"
SLR .625 adjustable gas block and middy gas tube
Raptor CH
Aimpoint T-1 and Fortis micro (or the new Aero precision when it comes out)

Ace ARUL
WOA lpk
Moe K or Umbrella Model 23
ALG ACT

Thinking about V7 lightweight take down/pivot pins, safety, and Strike Industries dust cover.

Parts should start arriving this week.

Link Posted: 5/13/2014 10:16:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Wow, I have a Balios lite set on order, but was not thinking a weight below 5 pounds would be possible. What parts would you use to go down that light?
View Quote

Mostly custom parts.  Lots of carbon fiber, aluminum, and titanium.
Link Posted: 5/14/2014 12:19:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Pull up my spreadsheet, look at the lightest weight complete build, and swap in the balios light receivers. Should be around 5 lbs.
Link Posted: 5/14/2014 1:31:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Best bang for the buck? That depends. You say you want to retain durability, which to me means a forged, or billet, receiver. The Mag Tactical is the lightest option and I almost ordered one, but I just can't do it since it is cast. That's just my opinion.

I am trying the new 2A Armament set posted already in this thread. The cost is much higher than the Mag Tac.

I would look at an Aero Precision upper without FA and either an Aero precision lower, or the Mag Tactical if you are OK with cast magnesium alloy. I would not be comfortable with a cast upper.

View All Quotes

I've got kind of the same feeling, I don't quite trust the Magtac.. Leaning on waiting for the 2A Armament lower.

Originally Posted By AR_DIESEL:

What's the current set up and weight of your rifle?

What's the weight or approximate weight gained by adding an optic and mount?

Once you figure those out, figure out what your goal weight is and weigh the options.

I'm at 8.7lbs with a 30 round mag. It's no where near a "lightweight," but a lot of that weight is a Comp M4S in a Larue mount. Reason I'm perusing this thread is within the next year or so, I want to add a Vortex 1-6x with a Aero mount, at roughly 28oz, then some sort of IR laser when I get around to grabbing NVGs. General goal I'm after is keeping the rifle sub-10lbs.
Link Posted: 5/14/2014 7:56:17 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm at 8.7lbs with a 30 round mag. It's no where near a "lightweight," but a lot of that weight is a Comp M4S in a Larue mount. Reason I'm perusing this thread is within the next year or so, I want to add a Vortex 1-6x with a Aero mount, at roughly 28oz, then some sort of IR laser when I get around to grabbing NVGs. General goal I'm after is keeping the rifle sub-10lbs.
View Quote

Gotcha. 8.7lbs= 8lbs 11.2oz. Is that your weight or is it 8lbs 7oz?
I'll assume you mean 8lbs 7oz.
So with your current set up switching the vortex for the m4s you'll gain 19 oz putting you at 9lb 10oz.

A dbal d2 is 12.5oz, that would put you at 10lbs 6.5oz.

So you need to cut 6.5oz off your current build to make your 10lbs goal.

More info on current set up, i.e. Barel length/profile, rail system, muzzle break, grip, butt stock, buis...and anything else I missed.
Shaving 6.5 oz might be as easy as switching out you butt stock...
Link Posted: 5/14/2014 2:10:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Boomfab Titanium BCG in stock.   Boomfab

Claimed weight 4.4oz with gas key.  With the Balios lite or Mag tactical receivers very easy to accomplish sub 5lb builds.
Link Posted: 5/14/2014 2:47:22 PM EDT
[#28]

Claimed weight 4.4oz with gas key.  With the Balios lite or Mag tactical receivers very easy to accomplish sub 5lb builds.
View Quote

HA, $479...
Link Posted: 5/14/2014 3:21:45 PM EDT
[#29]

HA, $479...
View All Quotes

HA, $479...

Exactly what I was thinking! What a waste of $500 when you can get a JP low mass for $225.
Link Posted: 5/14/2014 4:25:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Of all the places to lose weight, I'd be looking at BCG last. It seems to be you would be compromising your reliablility.

That and they seem to cost quite a bit for what you are getting.
Link Posted: 5/14/2014 4:58:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: m411b30] [#31]
My parts list:

BCM 16" LW middy
BCM bolt
BCM 13" KMR
BCM Gunfighter grip MOD 1
SLR Sentry 6 gas block
Rainier Raptor CH
PWS FCS556
Spikes melonite gas tube
RRA chrome bolt carrier - semi - 8 3/8 oz..
Geissele S3G trigger
Ace ARFX stock - rifle buffer, and spring to accommodate the mid-length gas system for recoil purposes.
Aero Precision NO FA upper
Del-Ton lower

All this comes out to 5lbs. 13oz. without optics, or BUIS. With a Comp 3, and a 20rd. mag it comes out to 7lbs. 4oz.. I'm waiting on my Micro H-1, and when it gets here the rifle should weigh a total of 6lbs. 7oz. with a loaded 20rd. mag.

This is the first LW build. Although, I kinda through weight out the windows to a point in sacrifice of speed, and accuracy. The next build will be a complete LW rig with only weight in mind.

It's raining right now so pics will have to wait. But I'll post one, or two when I can.
Link Posted: 5/14/2014 5:02:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Of all the places to lose weight, I'd be looking at BCG last. It seems to be you would be compromising your reliablility.

View Quote

My thought exactly
Link Posted: 5/14/2014 6:18:04 PM EDT
[#33]

So with your current set up switching the vortex for the m4s you'll gain 19 oz putting you at 9lb 10oz.

More info on current set up, i.e. Barel length/profile, rail system, muzzle break, grip, butt stock, buis...and anything else I missed.
View All Quotes

Correct, 8lbs 7oz, I suppose I should have been more clear.
I've got a 14.5" mid length BHF government profile with a pinned 51t, URX3, kac micro rear, bcm mod 1, m300b MOE stock, Emdom sling with an ASAP plate and RSA. Nothing much else, I use low pro rail covers, and don't use either a VFG or a hand stop. I've mostly bought parts that are lightweight as it is. I'm also looking at either a CQBL-1 or an ITAL, rather than the heavier DBALs. Biggest reason I'm asking you guys is it seems like I'm looking at diminishing returns on a lot of the lightweight parts I'm seeing, seems like they're a lot of money for losing 2-3oz.
Link Posted: 5/14/2014 6:22:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DWood] [#34]

My thought exactly
View All Quotes

My thought exactly

I would argue that the evolution of 3 gun has gone a long way to dispel alot of this sentiment. They have proven that you don't have to have a FA bcg and H2 buffer to have a reliable rifle. Maybe not a rifle for combat, day in and day out, but certainly one that is reliable and accurate enough to to complete the extended strings of fire in a competition.

This article is by a respected shooter and gives an interesting perspective. It also acknowledges that 3 gun is not war.

Article
Link Posted: 5/14/2014 6:42:02 PM EDT
[#35]

I would argue that the evolution of 3 gun has gone a long way to dispel alot of this sentiment. They have proven that you don't have to have a FA bcg and H2 buffer to have a reliable rifle. Maybe not a rifle for combat, day in and day out, but certainly one that is reliable and accurate enough to to complete the extended strings of fire in a competition.

This article is by a respected shooter and gives an interesting perspective. It also acknowledges that 3 gun is not war.

Article
View All Quotes

My thought exactly

Article

True, but I don't 3 gun nor do I want to pay $479 for a carrier and key then have to turn around and shell out even more money on more parts to get it to function. But I've said it before in this thread, I'm not a lightweight die hard. To each his own.
Link Posted: 5/14/2014 8:00:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Well, this is a thread devoted to lightweights.
Link Posted: 5/14/2014 8:21:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Recently I opted to add a Sig Tactical "arm brace" to a 9mm "pistol" I put together last year. The first thing I noticed is the Sig Tactical arm brace is heavy. It registered at 11.75 ounces on my scale. I have no intention to ever use it as an arm brace. That in itself is some Quasimodo bullshit. Shouldering it works about 80% as well as say a CTR stock.

It worked so well that I'm considering building my Magnesium receiver set as a pistol in order to go with a shortened barrel set for weight/size reduction purposes. I may have added a few ounces by selecting this brace, but the weight is in the rear of the weapon which actually helps center it.

Link Posted: 5/14/2014 8:37:12 PM EDT
[#38]

I've got a 14.5" mid length BHF government profile with a pinned 51t, URX3, kac micro rear, bcm mod 1, m300b MOE stock, Emdom sling with an ASAP plate and RSA. Nothing much else, I use low pro rail covers, and don't use either a VFG or a hand stop. I've mostly bought parts that are lightweight as it is. I'm also looking at either a CQBL-1 or an ITAL, rather than the heavier DBALs. Biggest reason I'm asking you guys is it seems like I'm looking at diminishing returns on a lot of the lightweight parts I'm seeing, seems like they're a lot of money for losing 2-3oz.
View All Quotes

You can lose ~3oz by switching to a battlelink stock and magpul k grip($70 for both). If the cqbl-1 or the ITAL are ~3.5 oz lighter than a dbal d2, you're good!
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 7:45:24 AM EDT
[#39]

HA, $479...
View All Quotes

HA, $479...

that price is w/o the bolt assembly
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 8:21:03 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By StrangerDanger:
Recently I opted to add a Sig Tactical "arm brace" to a 9mm "pistol" I put together last year. The first thing I noticed is the Sig Tactical arm brace is heavy. It registered at 11.75 ounces on my scale. I have no intention to ever use it as an arm brace. That in itself is some Quasimodo bullshit. Shouldering it works about 80% as well as say a CTR stock.

It worked so well that I'm considering building my Magnesium receiver set as a pistol in order to go with a shortened barrel set for weight/size reduction purposes. I may have added a few ounces by selecting this brace, but the weight is in the rear of the weapon which actually helps center it.

<a href="http://s1295.photobucket.com/user/jealifer/media/SMG/DSC00534_zps6e962733.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b639/jealifer/SMG/DSC00534_zps6e962733.jpg</a>
View Quote

Nice setup.

I hope someone develops a special light weight arm brace for exactly this reason.
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 8:22:11 AM EDT
[#41]
Anyone have a suggestion for an ultralight charging handle?

I am thinking just a standard milspec one, but don't know if there is a better choice for light weight out there.
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 8:56:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DWood] [#42]
Originally Posted By Nada-Nada:
Anyone have a suggestion for an ultralight charging handle?

I am thinking just a standard milspec one, but don't know if there is a better choice for light weight out there.
View Quote

According to the figures in the OP, the difference is so small (.3 to .4 of an ounce) that I am going with the Raptor anyway, for performance. An ounce or two on every part makes a big difference, but it's hard to save weight on a part that is so light to begin with.

From OP:
Charging Handles
PSA Milspec 1.13 U
Spikes Milspec 1.07 U
Rainier Raptor 1.42 U
BCM Gunfighter Med 1.24 U
BCM Gunfighter Small
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 9:04:52 AM EDT
[#43]
I really like the BCM gunfighter charging handles, although they are about 0.1 oz heavier. They are stronger and sturdier on a part I feel is kind of a weak link. But the milspec charging handles are the lightest I've found.
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 9:26:58 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By rightwingnut:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By rightwingnut:

HA, $479...

Yeah they want 580 for a complete BCG

Or get the other TI one posted in here for 1/2 the price but it is 5.6oz vs boomfad 4.6 and both are still lighter than a JP lmos @ 6.25oz (these weights are without bolt but a stacked gas key)
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 11:00:30 AM EDT
[#45]
Looks like CMMG no longer makes the Micro gas block for 0.625" gas seats. Which pretty much leaves V7  or the SLR Sentury 6. Both are somewhat pricey options.
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 11:14:22 AM EDT
[#46]
Looks like CMMG no longer makes the Micro gas block for 0.625" gas seats. Which pretty much leaves V7  or the SLR Sentury 6. Both are somewhat pricey options.
View Quote

What about these? Not sure if they use the same piece for .625 and .750 but worth a call.

http://bte-usa.com/parts/set-screw-micro-gasblocks.htm
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 11:18:32 AM EDT
[#47]
View Quote

Syrac.

Syrac .625
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 11:46:43 AM EDT
[#48]
View Quote

You can still find the CMMG occasionally.
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 3:53:46 PM EDT
[#49]
View Quote

How about the one from VLTOR?
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 4:00:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: m411b30] [#50]
Originally Posted By C_1:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By C_1:

That's a nice one at a great price.
Page / 127
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top