Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 127
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 1:40:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: yrs] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SOCOM76:
What’s the lightest charging handle right now?
View Quote

For my lightweight build, I use Breek Arms Warhammer Ambi Charging Handle. The manufacturer claims it's under 1 oz, and I measured mine to be 0.95 oz. So it is true to claim. My normal go to charging handle is the BCM Gunfighter which is about 1.2 oz. Haven't shot my lightweight build much yet, so can't say if the Breek Arms one will be as durable as my BCM ones.
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 12:07:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ahrion] [#2]
I see Smoke Composite now has anti-tilt lips on their buffer tubes and can now do custom length tubes. I need a custom length tube for my POF Rogue. Does anyone know how well the CF 30-50 holds up compared to 7075?

I also wanted to add that. . .
- Break Arms CH is a complete steal, especially for the feature. Can't beat $50ish

- Tegra Arms does not appear to be around BUT it appears Unbranded AR is making a 'carbon fiber lower'. I've seen a little (not a lot of bad) of good things people have said about Unbranded.  Believe it or not, my Tegra Arms lower has not broken on a suppressed 10.5" BRN180. I wouldn't assume it would anyways given that the end piece to the recoil system is polymer. I was looking for another TA lower for a 22lr dedicated and came across these guys.

With the above being said, does anyone make a good polymer or CF stripped upper that doesn't explode for 22lr?
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 1:36:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By ahrion:  I see Smoke Composite now has anti-tilt lips on their buffer tubes and can now do custom length tubes. I need a custom length tube for my POF Rogue. Does anyone know how well the CF 30-50 holds up compared to 7075?

I also wanted to add that. . .
- Break Arms CH is a complete steal, especially for the feature. Can't beat $50ish

- Tegra Arms does not appear to be around BUT it appears Unbranded AR is making a 'carbon fiber lower'. I've seen a little (not a lot of bad) of good things people have said about Unbranded.  Believe it or not, my Tegra Arms lower has not broken on a suppressed 10.5" BRN180. I wouldn't assume it would anyways given that the end piece to the recoil system is polymer. I was looking for another TA lower for a 22lr dedicated and came across these guys.

With the above being said, does anyone make a good polymer or CF stripped upper that doesn't explode for 22lr?
View Quote

Am seeing the Tegra "carbon fiber" plastic lowers @ gunshows locally for over $100.  It's just a run of the mill plastic lower w/ carbon fibers mixed into the plastic - so slightly lighter than a nylon fiber reinforced plastic, but no stronger, and potentially weaker.

I'ved used a hybrid poly/steel upper for the boy's left-eject .22 LR AR, but have been told the steel insert brings the weight up to the same mass as an aluminum.  I choose it b/c it was easy to cut the left ejection port.
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 6:42:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 2:12:07 PM EDT
[#5]
FYI: DSA sand cut BCGs are back in stock. Just got the notification email. Get em while they're hot!
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 7:22:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Got my sand cut. Cheapo scale says 5.25oz.
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 8:09:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ahrion] [#7]
Originally Posted By PursuitSS:

@ahrion

You might look at James Madison Tactical LINK

They SHOULD know how to manufacture composite components, they manufacture the VIPERJET II

https://i.imgur.com/eUUnVaX.jpg
View Quote

Thanks. Just got my Unbranded Carbon fiber lower.  It's certainly the same exact design as the Tegra, which I'm assuming was a license or they bought Tegra. I know because my BRN180 has a Tegra lower. Comparing them, besides the logo, it is the same. I'm gonna put this other one on a dedicated 22lr build.
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 8:11:49 AM EDT
[#8]
That's good to know. Any time this kind of thing changes hands, it's good to check weights. What does the unbranded one come in at?
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 8:16:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By jekbrown:
That's good to know. Any time this kind of thing changes hands, it's good to check weights. What does the unbranded one come in at?
View Quote

3.6 oz.

They have a deal right now until EOD today SITEWIDE20 to get 20% off.
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 9:24:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By ahrion:  Thanks. Just got my Unbranded Carbon fiber lower.  It's certainly the same exact design as the Tegra, which I'm assuming was a license or they bought Tegra. I know because my BRN180 has a Tegra lower. Comparing them, besides the logo, it is the same. I'm gonna put this other one on a dedicated 22lr build.
View Quote

The Hera thumbhole stock is the lightest available thumbhole that will reinforce the lower, and there's some weight you can take out of it, particularly if you're willing to glue it together or use aluminum screws.  16 oz w/ more than a dozen screws.  I've run it w/ one of the polymer buffer tubes.  The ergonomics aren't ideal for the AR safety, but you can make it work.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2018/07/13/thumbhole-stocks/

I much prefer the Vism thumbhole for polymer lowers, @ 17.6 oz, but it is shorter and feels much denser - since it is mostly solid, unlike Hera's hollow shell.  You could take weight out of the Vism as well just by drilling holes.
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 9:35:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

The Hera thumbhole stock is the lightest available thumbhole that will reinforce the lower, and there's some weight you can take out of it, particularly if you're willing to glue it together or use aluminum screws.  16 oz w/ more than a dozen screws.  I've run it w/ one of the polymer buffer tubes.  The ergonomics aren't ideal for the AR safety, but you can make it work.

[url=https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2018/07/13/thumbhole-stocks/]https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2018/07/13/thumbhole-stocks/[/url

I much prefer the Vism thumbhole for polymer lowers, @ 17.6 oz, but it is shorter and feels much denser - since it is mostly solid, unlike Hera's hollow shell.  You could take weight out of the Vism as well just by drilling holes.
View Quote

Not a fan of those type of lowers, but I appreciate it. So far, with a suppressed shorty BRN180, I have had 0 issues with the Tegra. I don't think I'll have an issue with it either because the "buffer" retainer at the end of the recoil system is nylon. I wouldn't trust it in a normal 556 lower however.
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 9:48:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jekbrown] [#12]
Holy S. 3 of these undbranded lowers for under $94 shipped with the coupon code? I wasn't planning on buying for a while, but that's a deal that's too good to pass up. Thanks for posting @ahrion
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 2:03:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Hey guys, dumb question of the day: if you wanted to run a pistol length gas system on a 14.5" bbl, and you had an adjustable gas key, what size gas port would you run?

Yes, I realize pistol length is far from ideal. If I'm going to have a custom bbl made anyway, I'm exploring all possibilities and a short gas system certainly has weight advantages...
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 3:57:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By jekbrown:  Hey guys, dumb question of the day: if you wanted to run a pistol length gas system on a 14.5" bbl, and you had an adjustable gas key, what size gas port would you run?

Yes, I realize pistol length is far from ideal. If I'm going to have a custom bbl made anyway, I'm exploring all possibilities and a short gas system certainly has weight advantages...
View Quote

I'm gonna question that assumption - pistol gas systems typically run heavier buffers to slow down the system from the higher pressure gas & earlier unlocking.

I would bet you'll end up w/ a lighter gun running carbine or even mid-gas (if you don't need a bayonet lug) on a 14.5".

If you insist on pistol gas, I'd start off w/ a small gas port, b/c you can always drill it larger if needed.
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 4:08:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Oh, I don't mean functional advantages, I meant weight advantages. shorter gas tube, shorter handguard etc.  But yeah, if a heavier buffer would be needed no matter how much you perfected gas port / gas key settings there'd be no point.
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 9:09:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By jekbrown:  Oh, I don't mean functional advantages, I meant weight advantages. shorter gas tube, shorter handguard etc.  But yeah, if a heavier buffer would be needed no matter how much you perfected gas port / gas key settings there'd be no point.
View Quote

I think you'll be ripping rims off brass w/ pistol gas chasing the same weight in a carbine or mid-gas.  If you don't have a bayonet lug, there's no need to cover the gas tube.  The top rail is there to keep you from burning your hand - if you're not stabbing anyone w/ a bayonet, you don't need to cover it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 9:14:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Magwell grip, no handguard required.
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 10:51:06 PM EDT
[#18]
I’d be happy to see a ULW 14.5 pencil barrel in carbine length. I modified a 10.5 with an aluminum p/w extension for a barrel weight of 16.7 oz. but it’s not ideal.
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 10:12:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jekbrown] [#19]
Picked up my 3 Unbranded AR lowers. Weight is 3.65-3.70 per. Same as Tegra back in the day. Cool beans.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 7:53:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Still trying to keep this thread going but. . .

This gas block should be illegal https://airbornearmsllc.com/airborne-arms-shop/gas-blocks/. Wish it were adjustable. 0.83 oz steel and .48 oz Titanium. Insanity.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 9:43:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By ahrion:

This gas block should be illegal https://airbornearmsllc.com/airborne-arms-shop/gas-blocks/. Wish it were adjustable. 0.83 oz steel and .48 oz Titanium. Insanity.
View Quote

Just imagine how light it would be if they made one for .625.
Not just .750
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 9:54:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Yeah, anyone that wants to build an ultra light would want a thin bbl profile / gas journal.  It's a cool design though and a 625 sized one might top the charts on the PWD.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 11:08:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Yeah, anyone that wants to build an ultra light would want a thin bbl profile / gas journal.  It's a cool design though and a 625 sized one might top the charts on the PWD.
View Quote

I would bet money it would.

Best adjustable titanium gas block I've found ever is the Zenitco gas block. The adjustment screw's detent is outside of where the gas touches, so it will never be mucked up. And it has 15 adjustment points with pretty good clicks.  It does use a straight gas tube. Just under 1 oz. Adjustment screw is also titanium. I was able to snatch these up last year.
Link Posted: 10/2/2021 6:43:03 AM EDT
[#24]

View Quote

Holy crap that’s light. Odd that they’re making an ultra light block but not offering .625

My BAD modified block is .39 oz, but only has one set screw.  Bet this one in .625 would be close.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 8:40:17 PM EDT
[#25]

View Quote

I bought this gas block. The weight is a little optimistic according to my scale.

This is the GB that will be replaced and my scale matches the user entry for it.

Link Posted: 10/12/2021 12:02:00 AM EDT
[#26]
If Us are to be believed, BAD is still the champ for GBs.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 11:29:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ahrion] [#27]
The spreadsheet needs some additions and revamping.

Anyone see these?

https://jlbillet.com/jl-billet-ar15-15-ultra-lite-angle-cut-m-lok-handguard/ < 8 oz

https://timbercreekoutdoorsinc.com/products/ul-e15-hg 8.8 oz with steel nut
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 5:14:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Yeah, people move tabs around from time to time because they can. It's annoying, I'll fix it. Anything else an issue?
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 7:12:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ahrion] [#29]
Yeah, people move tabs around from time to time because they can. It's annoying, I'll fix it. Anything else an issue?
View Quote

I don't know if Google Sheets has this (excel does) but implementing pivot tables from the tables would make searching for things so much easier, especially with slicers. Tap 15" Handguard and boom, that's all you see. Money.

I'm kind of an Excel guru of you need any help. It's to my understanding that Google sheets  a near 1:1 replacement to Excel. You should be able to lock the workbook from people moving tabs, adding tabs, etc. In Excel it's called protect workbook.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 6:08:47 AM EDT
[#30]
I have that Timber Creek handgaurd on a 4pound 16" gun, I like it a lot and they look sweet!  I think I posted picks of it in this thread a couple years back!
Link Posted: 11/20/2021 1:22:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Superlative Arms now has their adjustable gas block in Raw or DLC Titanium in Set Screw or Clamp On.
Link Posted: 11/20/2021 4:04:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: yrs] [#32]
I have a Next Intent Tactical/Master of Arms Ti adjustable gas block. It is awesome. However, on a recent range trip, I forgot to tighten the locking set screw on the side after adjusting. So, naturally I found the screw gone when I got back home. It probably walked out during the shooting. Anyone know what is the size of the side locking set screw? MOA website is gone and Next Intent doesn’t seem to deal with anything firearms anymore. So I’m here to see if anyone has this gas block can help me out. Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 3:48:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Jamming price on the DSA sand cut bcg...

https://www.dsarms.com/p-17128-dsa-ar15-enhanced-low-mass-aluminum-sand-cut-complete-bolt-carrier-group-556-223-300-blk.aspx?utm_source=BenchmarkEmail&utm_campaign=Black_Friday_2021&utm_medium=email

Link Posted: 11/25/2021 10:27:21 AM EDT
[#34]
If you use code: BFCM25

You might be able to get the polymer lower from unbranded AR for 25% off. I haven't tried it, but it'd be a screaming deal on one of the cheapest/lightest lowers ever made.
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 2:34:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Jamming price on the DSA sand cut bcg...

https://www.dsarms.com/p-17128-dsa-ar15-enhanced-low-mass-aluminum-sand-cut-complete-bolt-carrier-group-556-223-300-blk.aspx?utm_source=BenchmarkEmail&utm_campaign=Black_Friday_2021&utm_medium=email

View Quote

Got one on the way!  Thank you for posting this up, I really like these bcgs!  
 Happy Thanksgiving!
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 2:39:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: backbencher] [#36]
Originally Posted By jekbrown:  If you use code: BFCM25

You might be able to get the polymer lower from unbranded AR for 25% off. I haven't tried it, but it'd be a screaming deal on one of the cheapest/lightest lowers ever made.
View Quote

Looks like it works - knocks 3x down to just over under $30/per shipped.
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 3:44:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ahrion] [#37]

Looks like it works - knocks 3x down to just over $30/per shipped.
View Quote

JMT is a lower I would 100% trust for my AR builds, but is only 80%. I don't feel like I would trust the the Unbranded unless they are on .22lr or buffer less type uppers. I have 2 however.

Can't beat the price though.
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 5:08:07 PM EDT
[#38]

JMT is a lower I would 100% trust for my AR builds, but is only 80%. I don't feel like I would trust the the Unbranded unless they are on .22lr or buffer less type uppers. I have 2 however.

Can't beat the price though.
View Quote

Will throw em in a Vism thumbhole, probably give away one or two in the Let Every Man Be Armed 2.0 thread.
Link Posted: 11/28/2021 6:36:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Who here has the lightest 20” build?
Link Posted: 11/28/2021 8:15:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Slimjim:  Who here has the lightest 20” build?
View Quote

I know I have the lightest 27" build.  
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 9:47:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RobertL] [#41]
Where can a person buy an aluminum grip screw without buying 20?  Thanks!

ETA, this is my current “lightweight” grip screw.

Link Posted: 12/6/2021 10:29:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Uh, Home Depot?
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 11:04:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Uh, Home Depot?
View Quote

@backbencher

Where are you finding them at Home Depot? I can’t find anything 1/4x28 at all.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 11:28:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By RobertL:  @backbencher

Where are you finding them at Home Depot? I can’t find anything 1/4x28 at all.  Thanks!
View Quote

I'm a Team member, so auto subscribed to the thread.  Please don't @ me in a thread I'm already in.

I went to the screw aisle, and dug through their little cabinets.  TrueValue probably has a better selection.
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 11:35:36 PM EDT
[#45]

I'm a Team member, so auto subscribed to the thread.  Please don't @ me in a thread I'm already in.

I went to the screw aisle, and dug through their little cabinets.  TrueValue probably has a better selection.
View Quote

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 3:55:16 PM EDT
[#46]
I don't post in here much, but people have been asking to access the spreadsheet, and I keep granting permission. Hopefully it isn't all jacked up.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 10:23:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ahrion] [#47]
Leitner-Wise Titanium Firing Pin

Product Details
Developed jointly with X2 Development Group, our Titanium Firing Pins address all the deficiencies associated with prior attempts to use titanium for this purpose while retaining all of the desirable attributes.

Precision ground from bar stock, heat treated, nitrided and finally industrial hard chrome plated, they retain the 40% weight advantage over the standard pin, giving faster lock time and reduced chance of slam fires. The surface finish treatment overcomes the poor impact resistance of titanium, giving and service life compatible to or greater than the Mil Spec component.

Details:
- Precision Ground Grade 5 Titanium
- Heat Treated
- Nitrided
- Industrial Hard Chrome Plated
- 0.15oz
- Drop-In Replacement
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 11:42:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 11:57:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By PursuitSS:

I wouldn’t purchase ANYTHING from Paul Leitner-Wise based on his lies and shilling here!
View Quote

Definitely popcorn worthy.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 8:48:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Just an FYI, I'll be incorporating user data into the PWD soon. It's been on the back burner with my wife's cancer, so bear with me.
Page / 127
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top