Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 11
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 10:38:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jBoy723:
This thread delivers!! Thank LTC Lutz for taking the time to post all of the information.
View Quote
Indeed!  Lt. Col....this is one of the best AR threads EVER!!!  Thank you for your incredible insight!!!!
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 1:06:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By eddiein1984:
The A2 handguard is the only part of the A2 that I would consider an upgrade over the A1.
View Quote

And the stock being stronger
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 2:01:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Lt. Col. Lutz thank you for the wealth of information.  And thank you for your service.  This is a great topic.  I really like the  A2 stock and handguard but prefer a detachable carry handle and and a denubbed A2 grip.

But I hold a special place in my heart for classic A1 rifles.  The are truly things of beauty.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 1:25:46 PM EDT
[#4]
What a treasure of information here!

When I first shot a M16 a long time ago and pretty dang far away, the A1 grip was the least of my worries.
Personally I find the A1, A2, both perfectly acceptable, but my favorite is the original Hogue with finger grooves, even with bloody hands.
It just fits me flawlessly. I can completely forget about it and concentrate on the trigger finger.

Link Posted: 2/16/2017 2:09:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By MattNificent:
A2 with the nub ground off for me...although i do like the rubbery ergo type grips..
View Quote

Interesting.  I've never even noticed the finger 'nub' on my ARs, and I have A2 grips on a half-dozen of them (including my 'pre-ban' A1 carbine).  I wonder what you guys are going with your grips to have it bother you.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 4:37:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 4:53:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MikeE23666] [#7]
When ever an A2 thread pops up the most common complaint is that "nub" on the A2 grip.

The area from the nub to the trigger guard fits my middle finger perfectly.
Over the years I'd buy other grips because sometimes they seem to be more aesthetically pleasing.

But I always go back to the A2 grip.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 5:14:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By JayC:

Interesting.  I've never even noticed the finger 'nub' on my ARs, and I have A2 grips on a half-dozen of them (including my 'pre-ban' A1 carbine).  I wonder what you guys are going with your grips to have it bother you.
View Quote

They probably grip it like a typical deer rifle stock, which is low and gives the trigger finger the most reach. Instead of grabbing it high and tight like a pistol. *insert Trump hands joke*
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 6:14:47 PM EDT
[#9]
I like A2 grips.  Although A1's aren't bad.  I think I like A2's better.  The biggest downfall to either of them is it doesn't cover up the cheese grater in front of them.  But some of the aftermarket ones don't either.  I guess you just stick some gum in there.  

A1 stock is best stock.  

As far as zeroing and such, I love the A2 sights.  I actually zero at 25 meters, 4 clicks up.  And then if I'm shooting at 25 meters I'm right on and closer shots are good to go.  If I'm shooting at 50 and a 100 I have the option of lowering it and having a POI sight picture.  Or close to it.....   Or I'll just use a 6 oclock hold at 100.  Which I've only done once.  But with a carbine it's better for my eyes than a top of post hold at that distance.  A rifle is better to just do a top of post POI because I can still see the targets fairly well.  

It makes sense to give the soldier a rifle that can be useful to long distances.  Just like with a battle rifle.  And there have been reports by people that even with M855 and an M4 barrel length, it will do it's job at a fair poke.  Well past the zero of A1 sights.   I know of at least one guy that has said that and also read about it in an Article about the Army SDMR's.  

Anyways.... great thread.  Great guns.  Thanks for your input and hard work Cold Blue!!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 9:15:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 1:08:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mcantu] [#11]
Originally Posted By coldblue:
While evaluating the potential consequences of the A2 changes and improvements, I kept being able to easily un-do them per your current circumstances. Like being able to replace the longer A2 stock with the shorter A1. Change back to the round front sight post to the square A2. Replace the 3-round burst trigger mechanism with a standard A1 trigger mech. Etc. So if the finger rest on the A2 grip is a gripe, take out you knife and carve the thing off. And if you have sand paper, smooth it off.
View Quote

was any consideration given to wearing body armor and how this would affect length of pull?  I know that the PASGT helmet and flak were being
issued right around the time the A2 was being developed.

I think that one of the biggest 'mind-blown' parts of this thread is that the A2 flash hider is made to be timed for right/left handed use and that the factory 12 o'clock position is not necessarily the best one
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 2:04:17 PM EDT
[#12]
After decades of handling and carrying the guns, never had any issues with either A1 or A2 grip.

CD
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 3:06:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Why was the 3 round burst selected as opposed to 2 or 5?

Were tests carried out?

And why was the non-resetting cam chosen?

Thanks for an excellent thread!
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 3:45:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By feudist:
Why was the 3 round burst selected as opposed to 2 or 5?

Were tests carried out?

Thanks for an excellent thread!
View Quote

3 round burst seems the best compromise.. You can double tap fast and easily in semiauto.. 4 or 5 burst would be harder to control.

The non resetting feature is quite annoying.. But I guess they tried to keep The FCG as simple as possible.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 4:58:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By JJREA:
I like A2 grips.  Although A1's aren't bad.  I think I like A2's better.  The biggest downfall to either of them is it doesn't cover up the cheese grater in front of them.  But some of the aftermarket ones don't either.  I guess you just stick some gum in there.  
View Quote

I've been using these for years and it's one of the best upgrades I've ever made. It's the Ergo Gapper.

Link Posted: 2/17/2017 5:12:32 PM EDT
[#16]
I keep going back to the real Colt A2 grip. It's fatter and is a chalky grey when new. The knock off A2 grips suck.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 6:54:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JJREA] [#17]

I've been using these for years and it's one of the best upgrades I've ever made. It's the Ergo Gapper.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/168966/ergo-gapper-148492.jpg
View Quote

Thank you.  Where did you get that?  

I hate this.  This happened to me once before.  We start talking about the nub and now I notice it and don't like it.  LOL.  I went out and bought an MOE grip just to see.  Plus I wanted to try the more vertical ness of it.    I was gonna try a BCM one but couldn't find one at my LGS or Gander.   I might have to try one of them.  I think they do fill that little space in, like the TD's do.  I don't like the older style Tango downs though.  They seem all wrong at the back end.  Although I see they make a more vertical one now too.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 5:30:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 5:35:07 PM EDT
[#19]
@ankratz

Look for an H&R A1 grip, some of them are massive compared to Colt grips, but look the same.

I have one and love it.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 5:42:21 PM EDT
[#20]
@ankratz

H&R on left, Colt on the right. They feel totally different.

Link Posted: 2/18/2017 5:49:41 PM EDT
[#21]
You asked:
Why was the 3 round burst selected as opposed to 2 or 5?
Best test data from the 70's Army was for the 3-round, especially at night.

Were tests carried out?
I found test reports from the 70's were in the Picatinny archives and this gave creditability to the concept.

Because it was the design (Colt's) that was part of their test program weapons with good test results and an existing/proven design (i.e., low risk). I know the 3-RBC has its issues, but it prevented the A2 from being a semi-auto only battle rifle, which it was to be until i found the 3-RBC and ran it up the flag pole as a compromise.
View Quote
Thanks for the reply.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 7:33:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FreefallRet] [#22]
Originally Posted By GSL:
I'm all for enhancing your issued weapon, so long as you don't go full retard and return it to as issued when it's time to return it to the Arms Room. The retards up higher have heart attacks if their BN's or BDE's has an M4 or an A4 out of uniform while being inspected during a CIP periodically.
View Quote
on deployment we could change stocks grips etc. After deployment you just have to have them back to factory specs in a week or so.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 7:34:27 PM EDT
[#23]
In fact, Colt had a similar "heartburn" as well, as we brought our designs to the table, like the square front sight post, pistol grip, etc.
At a meeting with them subsequent to our submitting my pistol grip samples, they awarded me this memento:
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 7:53:39 PM EDT
[#24]
LTC Lutz,

When you are working a program like this is there pressure to reduce the complexity of the system?

It occurred to me that many of the changes that have been made over the years have changed the parts count, but if you reduce the parts count you emphasize the differences between models.

So if I found a way to reduce the parts count by, say, 14 parts by using a monolithic upper I would reduce the complexity of the rifle by a lot, but I would also reduce the percent of parts that are the same.

Was that a factor at all in this design?
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 8:25:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Because it was the design (Colt's) that was part of their test program weapons with good test results and an existing/proven design (i.e., low risk). I know the 3-RBC has its issues, but it prevented the A2 from being a semi-auto only battle rifle, which it was to be until i found the 3-RBC and ran it up the flag pole as a compromise.
View Quote

I certainly thank you for that (in red)

Was the "semi auto battle rifle" intent to limit ammunition expenditure from a cost perspective?  Or was it more of an "it was good enough with the Garand, it's good enough now" thing?
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 9:13:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Many of us have been AR owners/operators for longer than anybody in the military could have been unless they stayed in 40 years and were in the combat arms the whole time. We have more range time and have fired more rounds than the great majority of military or police for that matter. As for me, I've often wondered why an aftermarket pistol grip even exists. Unfortunately I can't compare the A2 grip to the original because I've never touched one of those, but not having big, fat hands that are looking for a pistol hammer to be bit by, I probably would like the original grip. I say that because when I'm not shooting, the A2 grip with the duckbill kind of bothers me - but when shooting, I never think about it. So, I also never think about replacing it. I've never seen any aftermarket grip that interested me at all and I don't even need to have the extra material on the back of the grip that they all seem to have to fill in the curve at the back of the receiver. I really don't know why that exists either.
What ever happened to just using the rifle as it is and getting used to it?
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 12:47:01 AM EDT
[#27]

I hate this.  This happened to me once before.  We start talking about the nub and now I notice it and don't like it.  LOL.  I went out and bought an MOE grip just to see.  Plus I wanted to try the more vertical ness of it.    I was gonna try a BCM one but couldn't find one at my LGS or Gander.   I might have to try one of them.  I think they do fill that little space in, like the TD's do.  I don't like the older style Tango downs though.  They seem all wrong at the back end.  Although I see they make a more vertical one now too.
View Quote
How on earth are you getting "cheese grated" there?

Is cheese grating the new grip zone obnoxiousness?
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 12:49:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ArmyInfantryVet] [#28]
USMC screwed us all buy going to the A2. 

And the elevation adjustment turret on the rear sight is the most gosh dang useless thing. I've never fucked with it, and never seen anyone fuck with it. So it was just a waste.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 7:22:06 AM EDT
[#29]
Great, informative thread. Thanks for all your personal input Coldblue.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 7:35:26 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By ArmyInfantryVet:
USMC screwed us all buy going to the A2. 

And the elevation adjustment turret on the rear sight is the most gosh dang useless thing. I've never fucked with it, and never seen anyone fuck with it. So it was just a waste.
View Quote

That's because you are a soldier. I as a Marine thank Col.Lutz for the fine rifle he helped create ! ??
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:04:02 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 4:08:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By patrick10w:
this the a2 sucks compared to the a1
View Quote

Everything A2 sucks, compared to the A1.
Exception being the handguards. Those are fine, IMO.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 4:25:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By 1saxman:
Many of us have been AR owners/operators for longer than anybody in the military could have been unless they stayed in 40 years and were in the combat arms the whole time. We have more range time and have fired more rounds than the great majority of military or police for that matter. As for me, I've often wondered why an aftermarket pistol grip even exists. Unfortunately I can't compare the A2 grip to the original because I've never touched one of those, but not having big, fat hands that are looking for a pistol hammer to be bit by, I probably would like the original grip. I say that because when I'm not shooting, the A2 grip with the duckbill kind of bothers me - but when shooting, I never think about it. So, I also never think about replacing it. I've never seen any aftermarket grip that interested me at all and I don't even need to have the extra material on the back of the grip that they all seem to have to fill in the curve at the back of the receiver. I really don't know why that exists either.
What ever happened to just using the rifle as it is and getting used to it?
View Quote

Sometimes you have to dance with the girl you brought.  I tend to agree with you 1Saxman.  Although, now that I am using my own AR and not Uncle Sam's, I tend to swap parts until I find the ones I like the best.  The first casualty on my personal AR's are the grips and trigger guard.  That does not mean the A1 or A2 grip was wrong for me, I can use them all day long if I have to.
kwg
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 5:20:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gunnut003] [#34]
Originally Posted By Green2Blue30:

Everything A2 sucks, compared to the A1.
Exception being the handguards. Those are fine, IMO.
View Quote

That's because the A2 Handguards were around when the M16 was adopted, in one form or another, the "A1"s were just selected over the "A2"s at the time.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 5:50:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By alexfiggy:

That's because you are a soldier. I as a Marine thank Col.Lutz for the fine rifle he helped create ! ??
View Quote

No, I figured out a much faster system. It's call Kentucky windage. We all used it. We saw where our bullets hit and adjusted our aim off that.

Way quicker than playing with a dumb elevation turret.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 6:01:41 PM EDT
[#36]

No, I figured out a much faster system. It's call Kentucky windage. We all used it. We saw where our bullets hit and adjusted our aim off that.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I'm easily finding myself agreeing with this. The A2 rear elevation knob was dead weight. The only thing needed was the windage knob that was easier to use than the A1.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 6:55:14 PM EDT
[#37]
How on earth are you getting "cheese grated" there?

Is cheese grating the new grip zone obnoxiousness?
View Quote

Probably a poor choose of words.  The ridges that flank either side of the winter trigger guard, right in front of the grip, can dig into your middle finger when holding the gun with just your firing hand.   Do you know what I mean?
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 7:26:47 PM EDT
[#38]

Probably a poor choose of words.  The ridges that flank either side of the winter trigger guard, right in front of the grip, can dig into your middle finger when holding the gun with just your firing hand.   Do you know what I mean?
View Quote
21 years of using the A1 and A2 grip, never was an issue.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 8:01:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Wangstang] [#39]
ColdBlue,
Reference the commentary quoted below...

View All Quotes

I'm easily finding myself agreeing with this. The A2 rear elevation knob was dead weight. The only thing needed was the windage knob that was easier to use than the A1.

...Is it safe to assume that your concept with the adjustable elevation in the A2 would be to provide a fighting unit a distinct advantage over 'Kentucky Windage' in the following situations:

*A unit that was positioned to maintain a location with clearly identified engagement zone of over 200 meters(Hill/Ridge overlooking a large open expanse)
    *A unit that intended to approach and engage an opposing combat unit from distance and had time to prep before engagement occurred

....All the while leaving the 300m concept in the design to so that the zero could be set and left alone when a soldier didn't have prep time or would be walking into an unknown engagement?

To me, many of the guys who are saying the A2 sight system was of no use failed to understand what kind of combat we were planning for with the Russians in a stand off in Europe as well as engagements in places like Korea.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:22:33 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:40:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ArmyInfantryVet] [#41]
...you don't want to use Kentucky Elevation (I actually refer to this as Tennessee Elevation) when acting as a Base of Fire at a know range...and responding to a Fire Command:
Such as a Squad laying a Base of Fire for the other two platoon squads:
Squad! Direct front.
Farm house in the open.
Range 600 meters.
Slow fire.
On my command....
View Quote

Since when is SBF supposed to be treated like scout snipers? These are automatic weapons....... not bolt action rifles where you miss your chance by the time you cycle the bolt again.

And from personal experience, it only took me a couple rounds before I got my SAW exactly on target, on a objective that was about 600-700 meters away.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:46:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Wangstang] [#42]
ColdBlue,
Two questions related to the Burnton Bump...
1) Any reason it wasn't skeletonized or hollowed out to reduce weight?

2) ZM weapons designed there own forging in the late 90s which moved the forward assist up to the Burnton Bump so that the forward assist ended up taking up less area and was more forward of the shooters face when shooting left handed.  Any reason this wasn't done with the A2?

Thanks again for the insight.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 1:48:06 AM EDT
[#43]
A1 is the best one.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 3:15:30 AM EDT
[#44]
What is The "infamous 29th round stoppage" ?
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 9:21:01 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 11:38:31 AM EDT
[#46]
^^^

Thankyou.

I guess its something that could have been fixed with stronger mag springs and slower ROF, or I'm missing something?
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:20:22 PM EDT
[#47]

View All Quotes

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/168966/ergo-gapper-148492.jpg

I bought the (6) pack directly from Ergo if I recall correctly. I want to say it was around $10 dollars but, I'm sure the bigger vendors have them as well so, if you plan on ordering parts soon, you can maximize your shipping costs.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 9:16:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Coldblue, was the Colt 727 one of the projects that you were involved in?

If so, was the 727 the orginal M4?
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 8:18:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: coldblue] [#49]
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 8:36:43 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Wangstang:
ColdBlue,
Two questions related to the Burnton Bump...
1) Any reason it wasn't skeletonized or hollowed out to reduce weight?

2) ZM weapons designed there own forging in the late 90s which moved the forward assist up to the Burnton Bump so that the forward assist ended up taking up less area and was more forward of the shooters face when shooting left handed.  Any reason this wasn't done with the A2?

http://modernfirearms.net/userfiles/images/assault/as97/z-m_lr300axl.jpg

Thanks again for the insight.
View Quote

?
Page / 11
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top