User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 11
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 4:47:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By coldblue:  There are at least three or more major factors that doomed the M249 SAW in the Marine Corps. First and foremost was the dropping of the mandatory Division SAW Gunners Schools too soon after the initial fielding was completed.  Such Schooling should have remained in place. Second maybe was the total lack of linked blank ammo during the first several years of fielding for training which forced the very unreliable use of rifle magazines loaded with blanks so the SAW gunners could play war. But this caused SAW gunners to lose reliability confidence in the weapon.
Due to manpower issues, most fire teams did not have full four Marines it was designed for. And because the SAW and its ammo load was the heaviest, it was assigned to the lowest ranking junior guy the team. This was contrary to when the older fire team’s BAR man was the second senior guy in the teams—literally the assistant fire team leader. I also remember one newsreel from Iraq that showed a SAW gunner wielding a sledge hammer—again—the junior guy getting the heaviest load.
Another was the total lack of increased logistic transport capability, i.e., more jeeps and trailers, at the organic infantry company level necessary to support the new 27 LMGs in each company. I mean that replacing 27 rifles with 27 belt-fed LMG’s were never complemented with appropriate motor transport at the company or battalion level.
In reference to the M27, numerous articles addressing its strengths and weakness are out there for you to glean an opinion on. However,I found it very ironic that when we might have rightfully expected to see massed human wave attacks coming across the North Korean border, we dumped a belt-fed for a box magazine fed. But then you also had some died-in-the-wool M16 haters (with an agenda) that saw a way to replace direct impingement rifles with those using pistons. However, there were live fire and maneuver deadly training incidents with the SAW that were being blamed of the open bolt firing nature of the weapon. This led to SAW gunners being required to completely unload numerous times during individual, 2-man, and team rushes; and thus a “requirement” for a “closed bolt” automatic rifle that was inherently “safer” while on safe and loaded with a round in the chamber during fire and maneuver than the LMG was thought to be.
View Quote
Thank you for your insight, sir.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 8:55:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By coldblue:
Second maybe was the total lack of linked blank ammo during the first several years of fielding for training which forced the very unreliable use of rifle magazines loaded with blanks so the SAW gunners could play war. But this caused SAW gunners to lose reliability confidence in the weapon.
View Quote
I find this interesting.  In '88-'89, while I was stationed in Panama, the Army started fielding 249s with their units there.  They liked to come "war game" around my duty site, the Ft. Kobe Transmitter Site and our antenna farm (usually, but not always outside our fence).  They had bazillions of rounds of linked 5.56 blanks, along with the special belt boxes for blanks.  They had a habit of littering our road with brass, links and belt boxes from time to time.  Along with starting grass fires pretty regularly...

I will note that evidence suggests that their 249s were far more reliable than their M60s, simply from the rather large number of "broken" M60 belts (from clearing stoppages), with zero evidence of such from the 249s.  Of course the 249s were new and the M60s older than most of their gunners, but still...
Link Posted: 7/4/2018 12:12:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By GHPorter:  I find this interesting.  In '88-'89, while I was stationed in Panama, the Army started fielding 249s with their units there.  They liked to come "war game" around my duty site, the Ft. Kobe Transmitter Site and our antenna farm (usually, but not always outside our fence).  They had bazillions of rounds of linked 5.56 blanks, along with the special belt boxes for blanks.  They had a habit of littering our road with brass, links and belt boxes from time to time.  Along with starting grass fires pretty regularly...

I will note that evidence suggests that their 249s were far more reliable than their M60s, simply from the rather large number of "broken" M60 belts (from clearing stoppages), with zero evidence of such from the 249s.  Of course the 249s were new and the M60s older than most of their gunners, but still...
View Quote
I have noticed there is a distinct enthusiasm in adoption of a new type of machinegun with as yet un-stretched receivers.  Studies are done when both types are in service, showing how much better the new gun is than the old.  30 years on, opinions change - possibly due to the simple fact that the receiver is the serialed part of the system, and therefore not easily replaced, no matter there may be a procedure in place to replace worn receivers.  The new gun is certainly better than the old, albeit the new gun may be no better than the old gun was when the old gun was new.
Link Posted: 7/4/2018 8:21:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/4/2018 11:08:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By ankratz:
I've never been a fan of the "stock" pistol grips. They've always come off immediately in favor of MIAD's or MOE's. And a quick browse on the EE seems to mimic the same sentiment. (They're like awful stocking stuffers that no one wants)

I'm building an XM177'ish carbine, and just got in an A1 grip to slap on it. Holy smokes...it's still too small to be "comfortable" compared to a MOE+, but it's world's more comfortable (and seemingly universal) than the A2. It's wider, and doesn't have that annoying ridge right where you want to put your middle finger (unless of course you have truck driver/bass player hands).

Other than the stippling, how was the A2 grip considered an "upgrade"?

For that matter, how was that grip (in A1 or A2 configuration) ever considered large enough for American's hands to begin with?
View Quote
Americans were two inches shorter on the average and likely 50 pounds lighter than now.

Do you see the problem is one of perspective?
Link Posted: 7/4/2018 3:41:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Marine Corps purchase of ammo types are not always in lock-step with the Army's. Our ammo guys were very "on the cheap" due to their limited budget. And blanks in 30-round mags were initially though to be good enough by the 'bean counters" for training. I remember them buying early 60's Army surplus boxed 7.62 tracer ammo for pennies on the dollar and linking it with 70's Lake City ball for our M60's...had lots of accidents with those old tracers like squib loads...
View Quote
And I had thought that Air Force Comm units were the only ones that cheap.  In a way I feel better, but in another, more important way I feel a lot worse.
Link Posted: 7/4/2018 4:21:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Marine Corps purchase of ammo types are not always in lock-step with the Army's. Our ammo guys were very "on the cheap" due to their limited budget. And blanks in 30-round mags were initially though to be good enough by the 'bean counters" for training. I remember them buying early 60's Army surplus boxed 7.62 tracer ammo for pennies on the dollar and linking it with 70's Lake City ball for our M60's...had lots of accidents with those old tracers like squib loads...
View Quote
On a similar note, I have personally witnessed a 1970's TOW missle break wires on an unobstructed flight path and disappear towards the horizon in the 1990's. It was both hilarious and appalling, which described most all things going on during my time in service.
Link Posted: 7/4/2018 7:20:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

I have noticed there is a distinct enthusiasm in adoption of a new type of machinegun with as yet un-stretched receivers.  Studies are done when both types are in service, showing how much better the new gun is than the old.  30 years on, opinions change - possibly due to the simple fact that the receiver is the serialed part of the system, and therefore not easily replaced, no matter there may be a procedure in place to replace worn receivers.  The new gun is certainly better than the old, albeit the new gun may be no better than the old gun was when the old gun was new.
View Quote
With the M60 "stretching" the receiver isn't the problem, the loads from firing are all contained between the barrel assembly (barrel extension) and the bolt.  When you scrap the barrel assembly you eliminate any "stretch".

The problem is the riveted joint between the barrel trunnion and the sheet steel rear portion of the receiver.  We had one M60 in our company that when you picked it up by the carry handle, you could see the butt drop about 1/4 inch, and oil would squish out from the rivets.  Many of the others had numerous punch marks around the rivets, a futile attempt to tighten up the riveted joint.
Link Posted: 7/4/2018 7:24:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By tirod:

Americans were two inches shorter on the average and likely 50 pounds lighter than now.

Do you see the problem is one of perspective?
View Quote
Not when you compare the AR15/M16 grip to say the contemporary AR-18, Stoner 63, and earlier FAL grips, which are much fuller, more along the size a Magpul or similar.
Link Posted: 7/4/2018 7:55:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By eddiein1984:
The A2 handguard is the only part of the A2 that I would consider an upgrade over the A1.
View Quote
Furniture wise, I highly agree.
Link Posted: 7/4/2018 8:19:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Gacksnabbit:

Furniture wise, I highly agree.
View Quote
I like the pistol grips alot. They don't feel too particularly comfortable when compared to an a1, but when my hands are wet they don't slip and slide like they do on an a1. The A1 grips are extremely slick, especially when they're worn.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 6:32:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the excellent reply.
Semper Fi,  IAC.
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 9:07:59 AM EDT
[#13]
This thread is amazing.  Thanks for sharing, LtCol.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 10:00:27 PM EDT
[#14]
This has been an amazing read. I find it absolutely fascinating the Army’s and the USMC’s perspective on the sight changes.
The Army seems to think that anything adjustable is to complicated for soldiers to understand, and they are unwilling to train them.
Contrast with my experience as about as REMF as you can get in the USMC (6461) and it was expected for us to understand the sights on our rifles.

@Coldblue
I think you did an amazing job.
My only gripes with the A2 is no full auto (not your fault) and the pistol grip, I prefere the MOE pistol grip.

Building a rifle with my ergonomics in my mind though would have you end up with a 15” LOP.
That would get a bunch of A1 stock peoples panties in a bunch.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 12:51:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By cpl_fisher:
The Army seems to think that anything adjustable is to complicated for soldiers to understand, and they are unwilling to train them.
View Quote
From my perspective as a technical training instructor (for half of my USAF career!), I have to agree.  And worse, by "lowballing" expectations, the Army training concept produces people who can't understand basic stuff like this.  Trainees live up or down to expectations - if you treat them like they're "short bus stupid" then you wind up with your "trained" troops being uniformly short bus stupid.

I've worked with a lot of Soldiers (and Marines, and more than a few Sailors, too).  Generally speaking, Soldiers are not stupid, not unintelligent, and certainly not UNmotivated to learn.  But they are usually well conditioned by "the Army way" to be spoken down to in just about every learning opportunity.  It is much harder to learn anything when you have to overcome that psychological barrier.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 8:14:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By GHPorter:

From my perspective as a technical training instructor (for half of my USAF career!), I have to agree.  And worse, by "lowballing" expectations, the Army training concept produces people who can't understand basic stuff like this.  Trainees live up or down to expectations - if you treat them like they're "short bus stupid" then you wind up with your "trained" troops being uniformly short bus stupid.

I've worked with a lot of Soldiers (and Marines, and more than a few Sailors, too).  Generally speaking, Soldiers are not stupid, not unintelligent, and certainly not UNmotivated to learn.  But they are usually well conditioned by "the Army way" to be spoken down to in just about every learning opportunity.  It is much harder to learn anything when you have to overcome that psychological barrier.
View Quote
I think a lot of this can be laid at the feet of the Cold War.

The last year of WW2 showed that Army planners drastically under estimated the need for infantry and rushed to re-assign personnel from other MOS to "shake and bake" infantry.
Then came Korea and the Cold War. They realized that they would be taking (possibly millions) of draftees and throwing them into a meatgrinder. It was a grim calculus that led to a LCD approach that continued well after Vietnam.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 8:21:29 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm a big fan of the more vertical MIAD grip.  I have to say though, I have a much larger issue with the flat stamped metal trigger guard.  I could stand the grip, but that trigger guard is a solid no-go.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 10:21:10 PM EDT
[#18]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cpl_fisher:

It's more about the sights moving unknowingly than not trusting soldiers to be able to adjust their sights IMO. I mark my sights so I know if they've been accidentally adjusted. A1 sights don't have this issue.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 11:36:19 PM EDT
[#19]
I like the A2 sights better now that I understand the intentions of the design thanks to this thread.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 12:58:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Why does the small aperture have the concave side towards the shooter?
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 12:59:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By HighpowerRifleBrony:
Why does the small aperture have the concave side towards the shooter?
View Quote
I think its for anti glare. The Matech has it as well
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 1:23:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By MILSPEC556:  I think its for anti glare. The Matech has it as well
View Quote
Speaking of a sight that moves on its own...  
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 1:33:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MILSPEC556] [#23]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MILSPEC556:  I think its for anti glare. The Matech has it as well
Lol. Loctite is your friend. What the armorer don't know won't hurt him

I have 4 of them currently and only one is on its last leg, but to be fair it also spent some time in AFG. It has the opposite problem tho, thing is hard as HELL to move for windage
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 1:56:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By MILSPEC556:  Lol. Loctite is your friend. What the armorer don't know won't hurt him

I have 4 of them currently and only one is on its last leg, but to be fair it also spent some time in AFG. It has the opposite problem tho, thing is hard as HELL to move for windage
View Quote
When I got this rifle out of the armory, I banged it on the floor to see if it would move.  It didn't.  I was impressed.

Cleaning it after the range, yep, it had moved on its own from the 300 m mark down to 600.  Fucking useless.  Every MaTech I've been issued since 2010 have changed the range setting on their own.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 2:12:18 AM EDT
[#25]
When I got this rifle out of the armory, I banged it on the floor to see if it would move.  It didn't.  I was impressed.

Cleaning it after the range, yep, it had moved on its own from the 300 m mark down to 600.  Fucking useless.  Every MaTech I've been issued since 2010 have changed the range setting on their own.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MILSPEC556:  Lol. Loctite is your friend. What the armorer don't know won't hurt him

Interesting I've never noticed mine changing for elevation either. Might need to shove a piece of chewed up bubble gum under the elevation dial or somethin
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 2:36:17 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By MILSPEC556:

View Quote
I heard that!  Honestly never had any move on me.  Course we don't play with them when we're bored.

CD
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 2:58:15 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:
I heard that!  Honestly never had any move on me.  Course we don't play with them when we're bored.

CD
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MILSPEC556:

CD
Pop it up more than once you're playing with it
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 8:57:24 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 9:41:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By pezboytate:

It's more about the sights moving unknowingly than not trusting soldiers to be able to adjust their sights IMO. I mark my sights so I know if they've been accidentally adjusted. A1 sights don't have this issue.
View Quote
iirc, coldblue mentioned earlier in the thread that in all their testing the A2 sights never moved from rough handling
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 2:07:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By mcantu:
iirc, coldblue mentioned earlier in the thread that in all their testing the A2 sights never moved from rough handling
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mcantu:

Not rereading the entire thread but my point is that the A2 (or any other exposed windage knob sight for that matter) could move inadvertently where A1 style couldn't.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 2:09:42 PM EDT
[#31]
My issue with matech is the left & right windage slop/wiggle of the aperture component, like the rear sight on a M249 SAW...both sights designed by picatinny...just saying...
View Quote
Thanks for Chiming in Sir...

I was at Rock Island Arsenal's Museum last week and took some pics.. Took this one and thought of you...

Link Posted: 11/19/2018 2:35:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HighpowerRifleBrony] [#32]

Not rereading the entire thread but my point is that the A2 (or any other exposed windage knob sight for that matter) could move inadvertently where A1 style couldn't.
View Quote
Ease of adjustability. How does it work?

ETA: my Bushmaster NM 0.5 MOA sight has began to bug me, as the elevation wheel detents have worn and I have more difficulty feeling the clicks. I don't do grunt stuff, but a slide of thumb might move it.
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 11:13:36 AM EDT
[#33]

CD
View Quote
I have one Matech sight, and it's not at all loose.  I haven't shot a bazillion rounds with it mounted, but mine seems to just be solid...

CD, I know what you're talking about.  I think some units need to issue fidget spinners.  Some GIs are just too "fidgety" and need to do "something" with their hands.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 11:22:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11C1P] [#34]
While I generally like the sleeker look of the A1, the A2 feels more comfortable in my hand.  In basic, we did BRM with A2's but after that they gave us A1's to use, I guess so they could keep the A2's in better shape.  Then in my 1st unit I got assigned the 203, which was on an A1.  I think lugging that thing around put a bad taste in my mouth for the A1.  I was happy when I got moved to AG & got an A2, then gunner & a pistol, woot!
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 11:49:10 PM EDT
[#35]
A2 grips don't work with 90% of the population. Most people are shocked when they pick up my rifles. I grind the high pointed tip off my A2 grips, removing half of the bump. The end result is a very comfortable $3.00 grip.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 11:53:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sputnik556] [#36]
Originally Posted By borderpatrol:
A2 grips don't work with 90% of the population. Most people are shocked when they pick up my rifles. I grind the high pointed tip off my A2 grips, removing half of the bump. The end result is a very comfortable $3.00 grip.
View Quote

I think the point of them is that they do work for 90% of the population.

Those $3 grips aren’t A2s anyway. Take a look at a real one, and then a cheap one. There are major differences in the contours.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 1:24:49 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Sputnik556:

I think the point of them is that they do work for 90% of the population.

Those $3 grips aren’t A2s anyway. Take a look at a real one, and then a cheap one. There are major differences in the contours.
View Quote

Are commercial Colt grips fake?
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 12:15:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mechanicuss] [#38]
--------------
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 2:47:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#39]
A2 grips can provide some issues with heavy winter gloves and mittens.  The A1 style does not have these potential issues.

Of course, adequate access to the trigger must also be addressed as a related issue.  The OEM fold-down trigger guard allowed unimpeded access to mittened hands/fingers.  Nowadays there are monolithic (built-in) trigger guards, some designed to be used by wearers of heavy gloves.  There are also "augmented" fold-down trigger guards, but the more "open" the trigger guard, the more it is a hassle to use with mittens.  I suggest some personal restraint in selection your "augmented" trigger guard, so that it does not preclude the easy use of mittens.  All this is a trade-off, and some experimentation might be worthwhile.

The monolithic trigger guards cannot be folded-down for use with mittens.  This is not usually an issue unless one is in an extreme cold environment, but it might be worth considering.

It is worth considering that "monolithic" trigger guards, be they "augmented" or not, are also a cost-saving measure for the manufacturer.  I have heard some mfr claims that such "monolithic" trigger guards make the rifle "stronger", but other than installation screw-ups of the folding trigger guard, I have never heard of a "weakness" in this part of the rifle.  Perhaps I am ill-informed.  OTOH, a cost-saving deletion of a feature has often been touted, in the past, as some sort of "advancement".  I remain very suspicious of such claims, and suggest the same suspicion to others.

YMMV.

Link Posted: 5/9/2020 3:07:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#40]
Being no sort of expert on such things, I have used a couple of NIB MaTech rear sights, without issues.  Certainly, installing them with Loctite is mandatory, along with forcing the sight body fully forward prior to final tightening.  Doing so (for any sighting device) ensures that the recoil of the firearm will not move the sight.  This is basic, but not always mentioned.

I like the MaTech sights for their easy Range adjustment, although this is only meaningful when one uses ammo to which the MaTech sight has been calibrated.  In practice, this means either GI-spec ammo, or handloads designed to mimic such.  Other ammo will deviate from the GI-type trajectory for which the MaTech sights were initially designed, and so cause the POI of the bullet to be "off" to some extent, depending on the specific ammo.

I confess I only use the windage feature for zeroing the rifle, and fine-tuning it at BSZ range.  I don't use the windage feature to adjust for wind, at range, but rather use experience/practice.

It's worthwhile to mention that the MaTech rear sight is a fairly precision device, and ought to be cleaned properly, and lubed properly.  This is not often easily done in the field, but range-users ought not find doing so a difficult problem.  Some compressed air used to blow-off crud, and a few drops of quality lube will take care of things for quite a while; just wipe off the excess so as to not attract dirt.  Probably more important is resisting the urge to "fiddle" with them once they are dialed-in.  This a common mistake of the inexperienced user, and one best--and easily-- avoided.

I'm certain that there are rear sights for the AR that meet, or exceed, the MaTechs.  I am unfortunately ignorant of such, but also don't want to start an argument.  Just saying my personal experiences, and YMMV.  

Link Posted: 5/9/2020 3:34:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Having read this thread, I am glad to have retained a couple of A1 rear stocks.  I am 6'3", with rather long arms; the A2 is not an issue for me, but I admit that I am lacking in experience with the A1 buttstock.  I have some rather nice adjustable rear stocks, but this thread makes me consider installing an A1 rear stock for experimentation.  I have both A1 and A2 butt plates, so that is all to the good.

It would not surprise me at all to find the adjustable stock was set to a length very close to that of the A1 stock.  Of course, such things are entirely dependent on the user and his equipment, but it's food for thought.  I would not mind saving the weight difference.

As always, YMMV.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 3:48:18 PM EDT
[#42]
The removable carrying handle has finer click adjustment changes than does an A2 with a fixed carrying handle. And an M4 front sight post, even though identical to an A2, has larger elevation change than it does on a rifle. So, I recommend the 50 yard/meter zero with either, with the rear sight all the way down (300), or better, "slipped" 2 or 3 clicks past that. Only elevation zero adjustments at this point are to the front sight post. Attain a point of aim = point of impact (POA=POI) zero at 50, then test this at 100 where the POI should be a few inches higher. If you have a 200 range, then verify POA=POI. If the 200 POI is either high or low, fine tune with the front sight. If you started with the elevation "slipped" 2 or 3 clicks below the 300 mark, your have a good 200 zero. Subsequently, to engage a 300 target, then elevate the rear sight to the 300 mark and give it a try. Subsequent range adjustments are made with the rear sight elevation if you have positive/accurate feed back of target impact or miss.  In reality, this zero stuff is not all exact mathematical science because of various types of ammo, bullet weights, etc., in use; and our human inability to be dead nuts on target with eyes only from shot to shot.
Firing position can change zero as well. When I qualified with M14's over the years, my 200 to 300 zeros (what we called "dope" in those days) changed from 200 offhand to the 200 kneeling. And then at 300 my sitting zero was different by a couple clicks to prone rapid fire...all because my cheek weld was different in each firing position.
Another all to common factor at work here is how much training one has had with iron sights (sight alignment, sight picture, etc.) to begin with. I was lucky enough to have been well trained as a Marine Rifleman by expert coaches on live fire ranges out to 500 with hundreds of rounds of live ammo--and in Boot Camp. thousands of rounds "dry-fired"). Not many civilians or LE have been so fortunate.
Hope this helps.
Good Shooting!
View Quote

One of the best posts I've seen stating how an experienced shooter's cheek weld can change their bullet's POI.

Thus, the extreme care that should be taken to always obtain a natural, quick, consistent cheek weld.

Users of rifles/optics systems that dis-allow such take note.

Link Posted: 5/9/2020 5:50:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ArmyPilot12] [#43]
Originally Posted By raf:
A2 grips can provide some issues with heavy winter gloves and mittens.  The A1 style does not have these potential issues.

Of course, adequate access to the trigger must also be addressed as a related issue.  The OEM fold-down trigger guard allowed unimpeded access to mittened hands/fingers.  Nowadays there are monolithic (built-in) trigger guards, some designed to be used by wearers of heavy gloves.  There are also "augmented" fold-down trigger guards, but the more "open" the trigger guard, the more it is a hassle to use with mittens.  I suggest some personal restraint in selection your "augmented" trigger guard, so that it does not preclude the easy use of mittens.  All this is a trade-off, and some experimentation might be worthwhile.

The monolithic trigger guards cannot be folded-down for use with mittens.  This is not usually an issue unless one is in an extreme cold environment, but it might be worth considering.

It is worth considering that "monolithic" trigger guards, be they "augmented" or not, are also a cost-saving measure for the manufacturer.  I have heard some mfr claims that such "monolithic" trigger guards make the rifle "stronger", but other than installation screw-ups of the folding trigger guard, I have never heard of a "weakness" in this part of the rifle.  Perhaps I am ill-informed.  OTOH, a cost-saving deletion of a feature has often been touted, in the past, as some sort of "advancement".  I remain very suspicious of such claims, and suggest the same suspicion to others.

YMMV.

View Quote

What the hell are you babbling about?

What exactly is the design problem of the A2 grip that causes "issues" with your beloved mittens/heavy gloves?
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 6:13:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By coldblue:

The report (done by a hired contractor) was a real hose job per the direction "we can't let the Marines make us look this bad...".
To be brief:
1. Some in the Army had real bad heartburn that we Marines were "doing their job" by fixing known A1 deficiencies.
2. The test lot of M855 ammo used in the early 1980's tests was so defective prone it was thought to have been sabotaged in favor of Picatinny's M777 round which had the M855's (actually the Belgian SS109's) steel insert, but was stabilized by the A1's 1:12 twist, ergo, not barrel change required to conform with NATO.
Canada came to the rescue as the first test was terminated because of the bad Lake City crap ammo and delivered 10's of thousands of Belgian SS109 which was used to repeat the testing and proved superior to the A1 testing in all respects.  (Something ignored by these report writers.)
3. If I wanted to take the time, I can counter every one of their listed deficiencies.

Bottom line is, the Army did not agree with this report and adopted the A2 and it became the standard service rifle.
Nuf said!

And on the A2 grip, I actually built the first two (using Bondo) in my shop at Picatinny, and then Colt used them to prototype the production item.
So now you know who to blame.
The only part of the A2 program I regret was the longer buttstock, that ironically the Army's Human Engineering Lab endorsed; and of course the 3-round burst control.  But adding the burst control "saved" a degree of full-auto capability that was planed to be eliminated as the SAW was going to replace the automatic rifle in the fire teams.  And the provisioning of belted SAW ammo aboard amphibious shipping supporting 27 SAW's in each Marine Infantry Company was displacing tons of "rifle pack-out" 5.56 to the point that a 3-day supply was adversely effected.  The SAW ammo pack-out of 800 rounds taking the same cubic space as 1680 rifle pack-out 5.56 in stripper clips and bandoliers.
View Quote

For what it's worth, I really like the A2 grip. I've tried the A1, a couple different Magpuls, and the Hogue over-molded grip but keep coming back to the A2. Love the way it fits my hand.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 6:21:44 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By ArmyPilot12:

What the hell are you babbling about?

What exactly is the design problem of the A2 grip that causes "issues" with your beloved mittens/heavy gloves?
View Quote

Sorry to be so "babbling" on.  I admit to trying to provide full answers to questions posed, and perhaps I go on too much.  My fault, and I apologize.

To answer your question directly, I have encountered some issues with using the A2 grip when also using very thick, insulating gloves.  The thickness of the gloves displaces my hands--on the A2 grip, and so my trigger finger, to an objectional amount.

The A1 grip does not have this objectionable effect.

I don't exactly enjoy using heavy gloves and/or mittens when shooting, but I train using both, as it seems reasonable to do so, given my AO.  Perhaps your AO is a bit more forgiving.

I hope this answer answers your question.

Link Posted: 5/9/2020 6:31:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By ArmyPilot12:  What the hell are you babbling about?

What exactly is the design problem of the A2 grip that causes "issues" with your beloved mittens/heavy gloves?
View Quote

I think he's complaining that the "bumpe" (Clouseau voice) of the A2 interferes w/ the proper operation of the folding trigger guard.

We don't really have such issues in Texas, and the last time we had the thought to invade the North, we had the good sense to do so in the summer b/c the folding trigger guard hadn't been invented yet.

It is interesting that an integral trigger guard and fixed stocks marginally reduces the overall parts count of the AR-15.  So often today we are intent on increasing the parts count IOT add capability, such as a weapons light, but it is informative to look at where the parts count can be reduced without significant detriment to the functionality of the weapon.

My complaints about the MaTech stem from being issued old, well-worn models that randomly index the elevation under recoil, or even walking.  It makes it very difficult to zero, let alone qualify.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 6:38:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ArmyPilot12] [#47]
Originally Posted By raf:

Sorry to be so "babbling" on.  I admit to trying to provide full answers to questions posed, and perhaps I go on too much.  My fault, and I apologize.

To answer your question directly, I have encountered some issues with using the A2 grip when also using very thick, insulating gloves.  The thickness of the gloves displaces my hands--on the A2 grip, and so my trigger finger, to an objectional amount.

The A1 grip does not have this objectionable effect.

I don't exactly enjoy using heavy gloves and/or mittens when shooting, but I train using both, as it seems reasonable to do so, given my AO.  Perhaps your AO is a bit more forgiving.

I hope this answer answers your question.

View Quote

OK, so YOU had a problem with it. Either learn to adapt, use thinner gloves, or no glove on your trigger pulling hand.

On the subject of mittens/heavy gloves. I can't remember ever folding down the trigger guard to fire my weapon with trigger finger mittens on. Not at then Camp Greely, nor Ft Drum, nor Germany x 3, nor Korea x 2.

Just personal experience during 26 years active Army but YMMV.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 8:47:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#48]

OK, so YOU had a problem with it. Either learn to adapt, use thinner gloves, or no glove on your trigger pulling hand.

On the subject of mittens/heavy gloves. I can't remember ever folding down the trigger guard to fire my weapon with trigger finger mittens on. Not at then Camp Greely, nor Ft Drum, nor Germany x 3, nor Korea x 2.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By raf:

Sorry to be so "babbling" on.  I admit to trying to provide full answers to questions posed, and perhaps I go on too much.  My fault, and I apologize.

To answer your question directly, I have encountered some issues with using the A2 grip when also using very thick, insulating gloves.  The thickness of the gloves displaces my hands--on the A2 grip, and so my trigger finger, to an objectional amount.

The A1 grip does not have this objectionable effect.

I don't exactly enjoy using heavy gloves and/or mittens when shooting, but I train using both, as it seems reasonable to do so, given my AO.  Perhaps your AO is a bit more forgiving.

I hope this answer answers your question.

I regret that my personal experiences with the AR platform do not meet your expectations.  Having actually folded-down the OEM trigger guard, in order to shoot my AR with both heavily-gloved hands, and with mittens, I'm sure my comments are meaningless to those who have not done so.

My apologies for wasting your time.  I respect your service time.  I also respect my 25+ years behind the AR platform, and my being free to experiment with approaches that the Mil dis-allowed, or did not allow sufficient training.

YMMV, of course, and no disrespect.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 10:40:12 PM EDT
[#49]
Thanks for your insight Coldblue.  It's been an interesting discussion.  All in all, I prefer the A1 grip and find the bump annoying.  I also like the A1 grips with the sling attachment.  Simply because I have smaller hands so the sling ring does not bother me and I find the sling attachment "kool".  I realize I am in the minority.   But, now that I'm no longer a member of uncle Sam's green machine I get to put on the Magpul grips that have less angle, the MOE K2 or the K2+.  I find them a much nicer "fit".

kwg
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 4:24:06 PM EDT
[#50]
I like the A1-ish aftermarket grips like the Duckbill and the Lone Star Ordnance. I don't have overly large hands. I've never liked the A2.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Page / 11
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top