Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/1/2013 8:26:03 PM EDT
Plan to buy the above, but the manual says "Colt Match Target Rifles" as compared to regular LE6920's "Colt Semi-auto rifles and carbines".
What's the difference between the two?
Link Posted: 3/1/2013 8:48:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Plan to buy the above, but the manual says "Colt Match Target Rifles" as compared to regular LE6920's "Colt Semi-auto rifles and carbines".
What's the difference between the two?

It's a generic instruction manual, covers pretty much the whole line. Your thread topic is about the barrel, though. Did you have a question about that?
Link Posted: 3/1/2013 9:45:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I was thinking that the match target rifle has something to do with a matched barrel. What is matched barrel anyway?
Does the regular LE6920 doesn't have a matched barrel or both these AR-15 barrels are pretty much the same?
Link Posted: 3/1/2013 10:09:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I was thinking that the match target rifle has something to do with a matched barrel. What is matched barrel anyway?
Does the regular LE6920 doesn't have a matched barrel or both these AR-15 barrels are pretty much the same?

Typically a "match" barrel is something that would be used in a shooting "match" or competition. Basically, if something is "match grade" it is intended for competition. The Colt Match Target rifles do not necessarily reflect this (and they are one of the few exceptions). Colt makes a number of different configurations that include a Match Target instruction manual, but the barrels vary from milspec to a real match type configuration, which Colt calls the "accurized rifle."

When you see something about ammo, barrels, or complete rifles labeled as "match," it doesn't mean they are matched to anything (although you can assume that a quality "match" barrel has a headspaced, or matched, bolt). It means they are typically of higher quality and intended for competition.
Link Posted: 3/2/2013 3:08:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The 'Match Target' refers to the series of ban-state compliant rifles Colt makes for those of us behind 'enemy lines'. They have fixed 'collapsable stocks', no flash hiders, and no bayonet lugs to comply with states that do not allow these features.

It does NOT refer to a 'match grade' barrel. The parts on these rifles are the same as thier non-ban compliant rifles.

Link Posted: 3/2/2013 6:14:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Will and jkirkon, thanks for the clarifications above.

I got this description off a sales auction from L6920 SOCOM:

++++++++++
The Colt's match target barrels is accurized and heavier than the standard m4 barre, giving it the ability to perform under intense heat heat and pressure allowing the shooter to stay on target on the event of excessive firing.
++++++++++

Does this mean this is the only difference of its barrel compared to the regular LE6920?
Link Posted: 3/2/2013 6:29:04 AM EDT
[#6]
The Scocom barrel is heavy profile under the handgaurds but other than that nothing special about it
Link Posted: 3/2/2013 8:35:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Will and jkirkon, thanks for the clarifications above.

I got this description off a sales auction from L6920 SOCOM:

++++++++++
The Colt's match target barrels is accurized and heavier than the standard m4 barre, giving it the ability to perform under intense heat heat and pressure allowing the shooter to stay on target on the event of excessive firing.
++++++++++

Does this mean this is the only difference of its barrel compared to the regular LE6920?

It sounds like a goofy (or purposely misleading) description of the barrel. The fact that the SOCOM barrel is thicker under the hand guards does not make it a match barrel; the internal dimensions and rifling are made to the same specs as other Colt barrels. The thicker barrel was originally designed for the M4A1 to help deal with sustained high rates of automatic fire, not for any match purposes.

Be advised that the SOCOM barrel is not "accurized" nor is this rifle meant to be part of Colt's Accurized Rifle line. The seller likely doesn't know what they are talking about.
Link Posted: 3/2/2013 11:18:51 AM EDT
[#8]
So again,from Colts 2013 line up, does the barrel of the LE6920 SOCOM version heavy-profiled as conpared to a regular LE6920?
Link Posted: 3/2/2013 11:22:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
So again,from Colts 2013 line up, does the barrel of the LE6920 SOCOM version heavy-profiled as conpared to a regular LE6920?

Heavier.  It is not an HBAR, but it is heavier than the standard 6920 barrel.  It is only under the hand guard that the difference in diameter exists, forward of the front sight base all the way to the muzzle is identical.
Link Posted: 3/2/2013 11:55:33 AM EDT
[#10]
I noticed a big difference with my Colt 14.5 inch Socom vs my Colt 6920 barrel while using a AAC M4 2000. There is a larger POI shift on the standard 16 inch Colt barrel vs a the thicker Socom barrel. I am not sure why, but I am assuming its due to the weight of the suppressor at the end of the barrel causing a POI shift. I know this is a little off topic, but if you were ever to buy a suppressor for your rifle. I would go with a Socom barrel or Heavy barrel vs standard.
Link Posted: 3/2/2013 12:14:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks once again.  That makes it clear enough.
Link Posted: 3/2/2013 1:07:19 PM EDT
[#12]
I would take the SOCOM barrel over the Government Profile every time. These barrels are extremely popular and have been since introduced to the commercial market - it's hard to find one. The barrel was developed by Colt to address barrel failure from overheating in military M4s with the lighter barrel. Of course it will still fail, but takes longer. Unless you decide to destroy it on purpose, have a case of ammo, the magazines to fill beforehand and can bump-fire, there is no way you will cook this barrel in a semi-auto carbine. I use heavy barrels or 'medium-contour' which have similar attributes. Heavier barrels have other advantages too, like more resistance to bending and less 'whip' under firing, which increase accuracy. The SOCOM barrel is a good compromise between a heavy barrel and a Government Profile.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top