Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2013 3:22:47 PM EDT
Have seen a few posts here and elsewhere concerning the quality of DPMS AR's. I have an M-4 and have no complaints whatsoever. Can someone please inform me of the drawbacks of these rifles. Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 3:24:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not sure what they use for barrel steel (likely won't matter for any use you'll have) then more importantly the material and manner in which the BCG is made.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 4:20:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Gee whiz.  Google arfcom to read the bunch of poop.  Bottom line, I have owned and still own several, and have seen no deficiencies.  They run great and are reliable.  My friend and I have LR308s that shoot 1/2 MOA.  I have 223's that shoot the same.  Reliably.  Thousands of rounds later.  Still great.

Heck, I got a S&W M&P 15 from the Performance Center and the key was not staked.  At all.  All the DPMS I have seen are staked, for instance.  While they are NOT the "first tier" like the "do-no-evil" Colts, they are great.  Steel, shmeel, they shoot great.  They could be the second largest AR manufacturer in the country, from what I have heard.  Good quality, great price.  Back when you could get them.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 4:23:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Have seen a few posts here and elsewhere concerning the quality of DPMS AR's. I have an M-4 and have no complaints whatsoever. Can someone please inform me of the drawbacks of these rifles. Thanks!

Here we fuckin go

In before the "my friend's friend had one and had tons of problems"

Link Posted: 2/13/2013 4:25:50 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I'm not sure what they use for barrel steel (likely won't matter for any use you'll have) then more importantly the material and manner in which the BCG is made.
Says the guy with a "AimSurplus" avatar, the source of the four amazing "AR57, LLC" lowers that I bought that proved to be the worst dimensioned lowers I have ever seen.  One hammer would not fit the radius, three would not fit stock grips, and three would NOT fit stock uppers that fit everything else.  The lowers were literally too short for the uppers (three manufacturers)...  Avoid them like the plague.

Generally, Aim has been a decent provided, other than these pieces of shyte.

Link Posted: 2/13/2013 4:39:20 PM EDT
[#5]
OP google DPMS reviews. I don't belive you will get many people here in the tech section willing to trash your choice of ARs. Besides if your rifle works for you why do you care what others think.
Do like the rest of us do shoot your rifle and if something breaks fix it
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 4:56:38 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd love to have a Recon

ETA: On the other hand they have these douchey 300 Blackouts with fake cans:
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 5:08:19 PM EDT
[#7]
i've seen their CS rep on this site call a customer a liar, eat a fat plate of crow and then disappear completely.

Link Posted: 2/13/2013 5:11:45 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd be dating enough to say that any problems you encounter will likely be mag or ammo related.

Dpms is ok in my book.  Stock triggers are hard but otherwise I've not seen an issue.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 5:16:11 PM EDT
[#9]
too bad the pics have been removed.  this was a good one  

DPMS
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 5:19:41 PM EDT
[#10]
It's a gun. If it goes bang, shoot it.

If you're worried about it, things I would check/change: Make sure the staking is good on the carrier key. Check the extractor spring for the proper black insert, and if you want, the o-ring. Check staking on the receiver end plate. I personally really dislike commercial-size receiver extensions and would change that out for a 7075 aluminum "mil-spec" size. Other than that, it's probably fine. Replace stuff as it breaks as you would. If you're ultra-paranoid, replace the bolt with an individually MPI'ed one but that's probably over kill for most people.

Enjoy the new gun.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 5:39:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Do a search. This topic has been done to death.

Link Posted: 2/13/2013 6:01:44 PM EDT
[#12]
I will try to get you as objective answer as possible.  DPMS they make many many rifles they are one of the top numbers producers.  I have used parts from them and helped friends build rifles with uppers from them.  Only problem I can report with the DPMS stuff I have seen the single stage triggers are gritty and ehhh..... and my friend when he got his upper(from Midway) his gas tube was bent slightly not allowing the BCG to go into battery fully straightened the gas tube and the rifle has not missed a lick.  Would I buy one probably not..... why because for a little more money or about the same cost you can get a better spec rifle (Spikes, RRA, Stag, Del-ton, DSA etc or spend a little more get a Colt)  My .02 take for what it is worth but you will not see a whole lot of love for DPMS but in these times it may be the only thing you can find.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 6:26:24 PM EDT
[#13]
As a casual shooter you want be able to tell any difference.  The DPMS / Bushmasters I honestly don't think can take repeated abuse like your Colts, LMTs, Noveskes, ect but hell, for the price they are a they work ok.  I have owned a DPMS and the 200 rounds that I put through it before I sold it to my girlfriend's dad went really well and I think he has maybe put 100 through it since then.  I had a Bushmaster that I maintained very well but starting having minor problems after about 5500 rounds.

What will tell you the most is the materials used by DPMS... they assemble enough rifles to know what they are doing there.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 6:29:45 PM EDT
[#14]
From my experience DPMS does not have good quality control.  I would never buy anything made by DPMS again.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 6:40:34 PM EDT
[#15]

Had several, never had a problem.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 3:33:33 AM EDT
[#16]
I've heard people complain and I have heard people praise DPMS. I have built several AR's in the past and have owned many in the past 25 years. I'll say this;

I bought a new DPMS M4'gery yesterday. The M4 Chart needs to be updated from what I have seen on my new rifle. My new DPMS has a chrome lined bore, M4 feed ramps, properly staked carrier bolts and an absolutely amazing trigger! Smooth pull and a crisp break, just beautiful. This baby is put together very well. QC looks to be spot on. I'll be doing a more detailed strip and inspection this weekend (hopefully) but so far I am pretty impressed.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 3:47:39 AM EDT
[#17]
I have a custom DPMS varminter, and I love the thing. I have upgraded a few things like the BCG, charging handle etc. but even before this a few thousand rounds flew out of it with no problem. But if I had the money then I would have bought higher end.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 4:38:40 AM EDT
[#18]
I've had my AP-4 for six years and have never had so much as a hiccup after 5K+ rounds...
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 4:43:23 AM EDT
[#19]
I've had several uppers from DPMS, never any problem, and my 24" bull barrel upper I got on a closeout from Midway is amazinly accurate, better than any bolt gun I've ever had
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 4:49:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I never owned a DPMS rifle, but I've handled plenty of them when I used to work part time at a gunshop. Never had any come back with problems, never had any complaints from customers. The fit and finish on them always was spot on.

Now the parts they sell, seem to be be another story. I personally have had issues with parts not fitting on ocasion (being out of spec), had issues with a couple safety selector detent holes drilled to deep,  and I had a bolt break about 10 years ago at the cam pin hole.  I have also heard of others having problems with "parts".  

This almost leads me to believe that the spare parts are possibly seconds or they just have poor QC (with the spare parts) or because they sell so many small parts, a few slip through the cracks.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 5:04:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Sounds like a classic case of quality control. I was online at wally world yesterday buying one of 2 Colt 6920 magpul's they had and the guy next to me
Said he enjoys his and has had no problems.......his friends DPMS has had all sorts of problems.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 6:35:46 AM EDT
[#22]
ive got approx. 2000rds on a dpms lpk i got in november and no problems to date. no fitting issues whatsoever
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 6:37:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Why does this shit get posted in tech and not GD...
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 7:15:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 7:36:55 AM EDT
[#25]
My brothers friend sister dad friend of a friend grandfather sons half brother has a dpms with so many problems.... On a serious note, my dpms hasn't had issues and shoots great.  The quality and finish are great.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 7:48:21 AM EDT
[#26]
compared to other makers in the same budget the fit is wanting, most complaints can be fixed by going to magpul furniture but that can be expensive, I love thier 308s and every DPMS I have shot has been very accurate. but they often are problematic with surplus ammo.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 6:01:23 AM EDT
[#27]
I would pick a DPMS over a RRA.

I even like the "cool crosshair cat" they put on the side.

And I especially like they way thier owner fights for his workers jobs...
Before a clueless state assembly.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 6:15:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Mine run fine, but they aren't the 'soup of the day' to the arfcom tier 1 couch commandos.  

They do have some fugly plastic these days, but everyone changes that 5 minutes after they buy a rifle.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 7:32:45 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I would pick a DPMS over a RRA.

I even like the "cool crosshair cat" they put on the side.

And I especially like they way thier owner fights for his workers jobs...
Before a clueless state assembly.

That was not the owner.

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 7:42:26 AM EDT
[#30]
Purchased mine in 2006 and if your Colts and Noveskes are half as reliable as that DPMS has been, you're probably very happy.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 10:23:24 AM EDT
[#31]
I have an Oracle, and it's been reliable, but I've been collecting Ammo lately, and only got a few hundred rounds through it. Changes to Rifle are in order though, to make for a better, more reliable updated Rifle. I just didn't pay for the amendities upfront. Over time it'll get it to the way I want it.
No, it doesn't have a CL barrel. Honestly do you really need one. Not, if you're a Casual Shooter. Only if you shoot thousands of rounds a Year or doing a Gun Shooting Course, does a CL Barrel/Extension become beneficial. Still, is it needed----?
Does it have a Trigger that leaves alot to be desired. Hell Yes, but still being a Mil-Spec Trigger, that's what you get. Get off this shit, that you think it must have to have a 2.5# Target Trigger pull with non-existant creep . It's what it is---no more/less. Want a better Trigger----get an Aftermarket Trigger.
 DPMS might only do a Batch Tested Bolt/Carrer, but it still works, and works well, as long as you don't Mag Dump often, or shoot thousands of rounds in one sitting. If this is case then, getting a better BCG would be a wise decision in my opinion. Still, as a stock BCG, it may work very reliability for years afterwards, even doing this.    
 If you have a Carbine Model, yes you (might) get some overgassing issues. Get a heavier Buffer, Adjustable Gas Block, or possibly different gas tube and problem should be solved.
Just go to the (Industr)y area of Forum, and look over some of the Facts/Myths of DPMS. You might be surprised if you owned an older DPMS compared with changes of new DPMS.
 Remember you Can/Could/Will/Maybe/Might/Should/Won't have problems with any Rifle/Gun-----no matter Name or what you paid for it.
Don't be afraid to purchase a DPMS. They make and sell AR's and parts, that are just as Mil-Spec as lots of other AR's.
 They supply/manufacturer many parts that other AR Manufacturers use, and that's why I think, they can keep their pricing lower. Doesn't necessarily mean it's an inferior part.
 Problem is, not many parts to choose from right now. Hopefully soon.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 10:26:40 AM EDT
[#32]
Just got my first DMPS at the gunshow today can wait to put some rounds through it!
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 10:37:12 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Just got my first DMPS at the gunshow today can wait to put some rounds through it!

Congrats. Shoot, enjoy, change out components to your liking and shoot some more.
What model?

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 11:14:00 AM EDT
[#34]
ap4 carbine. plans are dark earth furniture, polish the trigger myself and lighter trigger spring, already have a red dot for it.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 12:46:05 PM EDT
[#35]
I have owned one. I have no complaints. If you like it than that is all that matters.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 1:42:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Depends as you never know with DPMS. You might get a good one or you might get a bad one. You just have to shoot one to determine the quality, obviously. Just like with any other gun. I'm neutral on the subject, however, & not bashing them.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top