Site Notices
11/28/2014 6:01:52 AM
11/27/2014 12:14:39 AM
ARCHIVED ARCHIVED
  Previous Page
Page:  / 2
Author
Posted: 2/13/2013 2:22:47 PM EST
Have seen a few posts here and elsewhere concerning the quality of DPMS AR's. I have an M-4 and have no complaints whatsoever. Can someone please inform me of the drawbacks of these rifles. Thanks!
RangeWarrior
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/13/2013 2:24:28 PM EST
I'm not sure what they use for barrel steel (likely won't matter for any use you'll have) then more importantly the material and manner in which the BCG is made.
slashsplat
/* comment in most programming languages */
Instructor
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/13/2013 3:20:54 PM EST
Gee whiz. Google arfcom to read the bunch of poop. Bottom line, I have owned and still own several, and have seen no deficiencies. They run great and are reliable. My friend and I have LR308s that shoot 1/2 MOA. I have 223's that shoot the same. Reliably. Thousands of rounds later. Still great.

Heck, I got a S&W M&P 15 from the Performance Center and the key was not staked. At all. All the DPMS I have seen are staked, for instance. While they are NOT the "first tier" like the "do-no-evil" Colts, they are great. Steel, shmeel, they shoot great. They could be the second largest AR manufacturer in the country, from what I have heard. Good quality, great price. Back when you could get them.
NRA Life, NRA Range Safety Officer, NRA Firearms Instructor, RBGC.org Range Officer, Certified 338 LM / 50BMG
http://GeorgiaGunTraining.com
Introducing http://BoltLube.com
triggerStevan
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/13/2013 3:23:55 PM EST
Originally Posted By black1970:
Have seen a few posts here and elsewhere concerning the quality of DPMS AR's. I have an M-4 and have no complaints whatsoever. Can someone please inform me of the drawbacks of these rifles. Thanks!

Here we fuckin go

In before the "my friend's friend had one and had tons of problems"

slashsplat
/* comment in most programming languages */
Instructor
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/13/2013 3:25:50 PM EST
Originally Posted By RangeWarrior:
I'm not sure what they use for barrel steel (likely won't matter for any use you'll have) then more importantly the material and manner in which the BCG is made.
Says the guy with a "AimSurplus" avatar, the source of the four amazing "AR57, LLC" lowers that I bought that proved to be the worst dimensioned lowers I have ever seen. One hammer would not fit the radius, three would not fit stock grips, and three would NOT fit stock uppers that fit everything else. The lowers were literally too short for the uppers (three manufacturers)... Avoid them like the plague.

Generally, Aim has been a decent provided, other than these pieces of shyte.

NRA Life, NRA Range Safety Officer, NRA Firearms Instructor, RBGC.org Range Officer, Certified 338 LM / 50BMG
http://GeorgiaGunTraining.com
Introducing http://BoltLube.com
hotbiggun42
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/13/2013 3:39:20 PM EST
[Last Edit: 2/13/2013 3:39:44 PM EST by hotbiggun42]
OP google DPMS reviews. I don't belive you will get many people here in the tech section willing to trash your choice of ARs. Besides if your rifle works for you why do you care what others think.
Do like the rest of us do shoot your rifle and if something breaks fix it
triggerStevan
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/13/2013 3:56:38 PM EST
[Last Edit: 2/13/2013 4:07:47 PM EST by triggerStevan]
I'd love to have a Recon

ETA: On the other hand they have these douchey 300 Blackouts with fake cans:
FennRx
Up-Wing Extremist
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/13/2013 4:08:19 PM EST
i've seen their CS rep on this site call a customer a liar, eat a fat plate of crow and then disappear completely.

chmodx
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/13/2013 4:11:45 PM EST
I'd be dating enough to say that any problems you encounter will likely be mag or ammo related.

Dpms is ok in my book. Stock triggers are hard but otherwise I've not seen an issue.
FennRx
Up-Wing Extremist
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/13/2013 4:16:11 PM EST
too bad the pics have been removed. this was a good one

DPMS
Krylancelo
"Parts ain't parts."
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/13/2013 4:19:41 PM EST
It's a gun. If it goes bang, shoot it.

If you're worried about it, things I would check/change: Make sure the staking is good on the carrier key. Check the extractor spring for the proper black insert, and if you want, the o-ring. Check staking on the receiver end plate. I personally really dislike commercial-size receiver extensions and would change that out for a 7075 aluminum "mil-spec" size. Other than that, it's probably fine. Replace stuff as it breaks as you would. If you're ultra-paranoid, replace the bolt with an individually MPI'ed one but that's probably over kill for most people.

Enjoy the new gun.
wetidlerjr
Flamma fumo est proxima.
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/13/2013 4:39:37 PM EST

Do a search. This topic has been done to death.

Bill Tidler Jr.
Good men must not obey the laws too well.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Injustice is relatively easy to bear; what stings is justice.
~H L Mencken
EdgecrusherXES_45
FROM MY COLD DEAD HANDS!
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/13/2013 5:01:44 PM EST
I will try to get you as objective answer as possible. DPMS they make many many rifles they are one of the top numbers producers. I have used parts from them and helped friends build rifles with uppers from them. Only problem I can report with the DPMS stuff I have seen the single stage triggers are gritty and ehhh..... and my friend when he got his upper(from Midway) his gas tube was bent slightly not allowing the BCG to go into battery fully straightened the gas tube and the rifle has not missed a lick. Would I buy one probably not..... why because for a little more money or about the same cost you can get a better spec rifle (Spikes, RRA, Stag, Del-ton, DSA etc or spend a little more get a Colt) My .02 take for what it is worth but you will not see a whole lot of love for DPMS but in these times it may be the only thing you can find.
I was born an AR in my hands. Behind the gun I will make my final stand, and that is why they call me .... bad company I cannot deny.... Bad company till the day I die.
thornejc
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/13/2013 5:26:24 PM EST
[Last Edit: 2/13/2013 5:51:36 PM EST by thornejc]
As a casual shooter you want be able to tell any difference. The DPMS / Bushmasters I honestly don't think can take repeated abuse like your Colts, LMTs, Noveskes, ect but hell, for the price they are a they work ok. I have owned a DPMS and the 200 rounds that I put through it before I sold it to my girlfriend's dad went really well and I think he has maybe put 100 through it since then. I had a Bushmaster that I maintained very well but starting having minor problems after about 5500 rounds.

What will tell you the most is the materials used by DPMS... they assemble enough rifles to know what they are doing there.
Dan46n2
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/13/2013 5:29:45 PM EST
From my experience DPMS does not have good quality control. I would never buy anything made by DPMS again.
_DR
Tax Slave
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/13/2013 5:40:34 PM EST

Had several, never had a problem.
“Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.”
- Ronald Reagan
hk-sigman
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/14/2013 2:33:33 AM EST
I've heard people complain and I have heard people praise DPMS. I have built several AR's in the past and have owned many in the past 25 years. I'll say this;

I bought a new DPMS M4'gery yesterday. The M4 Chart needs to be updated from what I have seen on my new rifle. My new DPMS has a chrome lined bore, M4 feed ramps, properly staked carrier bolts and an absolutely amazing trigger! Smooth pull and a crisp break, just beautiful. This baby is put together very well. QC looks to be spot on. I'll be doing a more detailed strip and inspection this weekend (hopefully) but so far I am pretty impressed.
Ruaerikoholic
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/14/2013 2:47:39 AM EST
I have a custom DPMS varminter, and I love the thing. I have upgraded a few things like the BCG, charging handle etc. but even before this a few thousand rounds flew out of it with no problem. But if I had the money then I would have bought higher end.
The-Ant1-Liberal
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/14/2013 3:38:40 AM EST
I've had my AP-4 for six years and have never had so much as a hiccup after 5K+ rounds...
Geardo308
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/14/2013 3:43:23 AM EST
I've had several uppers from DPMS, never any problem, and my 24" bull barrel upper I got on a closeout from Midway is amazinly accurate, better than any bolt gun I've ever had
Jeepy2013
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/14/2013 3:49:33 AM EST
[Last Edit: 2/14/2013 3:50:48 AM EST by Jeepy2013]

I never owned a DPMS rifle, but I've handled plenty of them when I used to work part time at a gunshop. Never had any come back with problems, never had any complaints from customers. The fit and finish on them always was spot on.

Now the parts they sell, seem to be be another story. I personally have had issues with parts not fitting on ocasion (being out of spec), had issues with a couple safety selector detent holes drilled to deep, and I had a bolt break about 10 years ago at the cam pin hole. I have also heard of others having problems with "parts".

This almost leads me to believe that the spare parts are possibly seconds or they just have poor QC (with the spare parts) or because they sell so many small parts, a few slip through the cracks.
Sharrack
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/14/2013 4:04:47 AM EST
Sounds like a classic case of quality control. I was online at wally world yesterday buying one of 2 Colt 6920 magpul's they had and the guy next to me
Said he enjoys his and has had no problems.......his friends DPMS has had all sorts of problems.
imitation_crab
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/14/2013 5:35:46 AM EST
ive got approx. 2000rds on a dpms lpk i got in november and no problems to date. no fitting issues whatsoever
tbougie1
I'm not an A-Hole, I just play one on the internet
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/14/2013 5:37:51 AM EST
Why does this shit get posted in tech and not GD...
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

That's NORTH Dakota, BTW
DPMS
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/14/2013 6:15:59 AM EST
Originally Posted By hk-sigman:
I've heard people complain and I have heard people praise DPMS. I have built several AR's in the past and have owned many in the past 25 years. I'll say this;

I bought a new DPMS M4'gery yesterday. The M4 Chart needs to be updated from what I have seen on my new rifle. My new DPMS has a chrome lined bore, M4 feed ramps, properly staked carrier bolts and an absolutely amazing trigger! Smooth pull and a crisp break, just beautiful. This baby is put together very well. QC looks to be spot on. I'll be doing a more detailed strip and inspection this weekend (hopefully) but so far I am pretty impressed.

Yes it needs to be updated but probaly won't...

hk-sigman, your AP4 has a (now standard) 4150 chrome-lined barrel, M4 ramps ect... Truth is we have been using 4150 when 4140 was unavailable thoughtout the years but never made a big deal out of it...

black1970, thanks for your buisness we appreciate it!
DPMS Firearms

3312 12th Street SE
St. Cloud, MN 56304
1-800-578-3767
www.dpmsinc.com
Kamiskillet
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/14/2013 6:36:55 AM EST
My brothers friend sister dad friend of a friend grandfather sons half brother has a dpms with so many problems.... On a serious note, my dpms hasn't had issues and shoots great. The quality and finish are great.
  Previous Page
Page:  / 2
ARCHIVED ARCHIVED