Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2013 8:45:01 AM EDT
I see a few custom rifles and uppers that give you the option.  What are the pluses and minuses of a forward assist.  It seems that there is no difference in cost.  I will use the gun for predator hunting and target shooting.  What are your thoughts?
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 8:49:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Better to have and not need.
I would want it on a hunting rifle so I can press check quietly.

The custom builders like it because it is less parts and a little smoother looking.
Also it makes the gun a few ounces lighter.
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 8:56:10 AM EDT
[#2]
I have both. A Stag with the forward assist and a DPMS without.

I've never needed to use the forward assist and I don't think I would. I don't feel it's a good idea to force a round into the chamber. I would rather rack the charging handle to remove the bad round than force it into the chamber. I know there are times it could be useful but like I said, I've never needed to use it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 8:58:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Mostly a personal preference.
I think it's better to have and not need thing.
I do lots of hunts and I want to be as quiet as possible and FA helps with this, but if only plinking and always slammming Bolt home, then it's not needed.
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 9:08:05 AM EDT
[#4]
better to have and not need says it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 9:19:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Mostly a personal preference.
I think it's better to have and not need thing.
I do lots of hunts and I want to be as quiet as possible and FA helps with this, but if only plinking and always slammming Bolt home, then it's not needed.

THIS
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 9:45:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Wish I would have remembered to check mine last week coyote hunting.  Had two at 50-60 yards and heard "Click". Talk about not being happy.
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 9:59:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Wish I would have remembered to check mine last week coyote hunting.  Had two at 50-60 yards and heard "Click". Talk about not being happy.

If you are getting "clicks" then you have something wrong with either you, the gun, or your ammo.  A FA will not fix any of these.  IMHO FA's are an unnecessary legacy from Vietnam and poor maintenance.
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 10:27:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Fwd Asst were originally designed for full-auto fire (M-16) if the bolt failed to go completely into battery. Really not needed on a semi-auto AR platform.
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 10:43:40 AM EDT
[#9]
The design already incorporated a fwd assist before the Army added the plunger, one that doesnt exert enough force to jam the rifle. The plunger assist is not needed, and causes more issues then it solves. I wouldnt pay extra to not have the plunger though, I just don't use it, ever. YMMV.
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 10:49:56 AM EDT
[#10]
I am a newbie. But with the help of this site I put together a PSA 16" Wlyde about 8 months ago. Sometimes when I pull the charge handle back to load the round the I need to use the FA to seat the bolt on the back of the round. The "Click" was the firing pin not hitting the primer of the round.
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 10:53:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I am a newbie. But with the help of this site I put together a PSA 16" Wlyde about 8 months ago. Sometimes when I pull the charge handle back to load the round the I need to use the FA to seat the bolt on the back of the round. The "Click" was the firing pin not hitting the primer of the round.

Are you letting the CH "fly" back to battery?  If you are slowly following it back, gently, this will happen. Pull back, and release the CH.
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 11:02:13 AM EDT
[#12]
The ones that come around and preach that they are unnecessary, have never been trained on the proper use, and have never needed to use one.  

When you need it, you fucking-A need it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 11:08:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks Alaska511. I believe it is does happen when I am gentle with the gun. When coyote hunting I am trying to be as quiet as possible.
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 11:10:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The ones that come around and preach that they are unnecessary, have never been trained on the proper use, and have never needed to use one.  

nevermind I misread this; I agree one is needed, just not the plunger
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 11:10:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Fwd Asst were originally designed for full-auto fire (M-16) if the bolt failed to go completely into battery. Really not needed on a semi-auto AR platform.

What did the automatic firing have to do with the forward assist?  

~Augee
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 11:10:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Don't know about others training but I fully agree with last
Sentence
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 11:11:08 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

IMHO FA's are an unnecessary legacy from Vietnam and poor maintenance.

this

If you need it, its becuase something else is not working correctly

Link Posted: 1/5/2013 11:11:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The design already incorporated a fwd assist before the Army added the plunger, one that doesnt exert enough force to jam the rifle. The plunger assist is not needed, and causes more issues then it solves. I wouldnt pay extra to not have it though, I just don't use it, ever. YMMV.

How so ?

Link Posted: 1/5/2013 11:12:05 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

that doesn't make any sense

Link Posted: 1/5/2013 11:12:52 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

you are doing it wrong, stop with the ninja loading

Link Posted: 1/5/2013 11:13:34 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

yes because so many of us get in firefights at the range

Link Posted: 1/5/2013 11:14:40 AM EDT
[#22]
I can count on one hand the number of times I've had to use the fa, including my time in the military.
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 11:18:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The design already incorporated a fwd assist before the Army added the plunger, one that doesnt exert enough force to jam the rifle. The plunger assist is not needed, and causes more issues then it solves. I wouldnt pay extra to not have it though, I just don't use it, ever. YMMV.

How so ?

push the carrier forward with your finger through the ejection port
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 11:24:09 AM EDT
[#24]
I agree I need to quit with the ninja loading. LMFAO..
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 11:52:56 AM EDT
[#25]
I mostly ride the bolt when chambering a round so I naturally like the FA.
The only time I stick a finger in the port is after dark to check for an empty chamber.
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 12:12:13 PM EDT
[#26]
I have never used the FA, ever. I prefer the rainier upper without one if given a choice.
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 12:14:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I can count on one hand the number of times I've had to use the fa, including my time in the military.

I can count on one hand the number of times I've had to use my fire extinguisher too...but I'm still glad i have it.
The forward assist is rarely, if ever, needed.
But I still insist on having it on my uppers, because I just feel like the upper is naked without it.
I like having it...it makes me feel better, and it makes my guns feel "complete"
It has become a personal preference since uppers are now available without it, so take your pick.
But for those claiming it isn't necessary, you're right, but I see quite a few rifles posted proudly with a whole lotta "un-necessary" crap hanging on them.
The BAD lever comes to mind. And the ever present KNS pins. And the...........well, you get the point.
So, once again....personal preference.
If someone wants to hang the "tactical fuzzy dice" off their front sight base they won't hear any grief from me.
I'll laugh like hell in private, but I will keep it to myself.
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 12:56:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Its not a necessary part imho....6 years Army here..not once needed......of course they made us use it for SPORTS...
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 1:01:03 PM EDT
[#29]
I don't want to jump into an argument, and I'm purely a range shooter so my life isn't on the line.  However, it's worth noting that Eugene Stoner was strongly opposed to a forward assist in the original design of the AR10 and the later AR15.  The Army insisted, so he and Armalite and Colt added one.  Stoner's thought was that if rounds weren't chambering correctly, something was wrong that need fixing, and forcing a round into the chamber could make things worse (my words, not his exact wording).  I tend to agree that in a range rifle, if rounds aren't chambering correctly, then the problem should be identified and fixed rather than beating on the FA.  My AR15s have them and I don't ever need them, and my AR10 does not have one, and I don't miss it.  In a combat rifle, I'd probably take one just for extra insurance.
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 1:06:49 PM EDT
[#30]
The Army insisted on the Forward Assist because the Garand and M14 permitted the user to close the bolt manually, and they wanted the same functionality added to the M16 before they purchased it in quantity.  Eugene Stoner opposed it.  His opinion was if the bolt won't close, you may do more harm than good by forcing it.  It's discussed in The Black Rifle and other books.

The best reason I've heard for having it is that it permits you to close the bolt quietly after a press check.  If you don't need to be quiet, you can just retract the charging handle all the way back and let go.

FWIW I have them on all my ARs except my lightweight builds and my AR10, but I haven't used a forward assist since the Army (required part of SPORTS procedure, as noted above).
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 1:29:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How so ?

push the carrier forward with your finger through the ejection port

I wouldn't really call that a "forward assist" that was "incorporated" as a design feature.  That sounds more like a half-assed method to use as last resort to try to get the bolt closed.

I prefer having the plunger.

Link Posted: 1/5/2013 1:50:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Thanks for all of the input!  I could see where it would be nice when you wait to load your rifle until you get in your stand and don't want the noise of slamming the bolt closed as long as there are no negatives (hurts accuracy, etc.) associated with having it on the rifle.
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 2:02:16 PM EDT
[#33]
If your bolt carrier has the grooves - get the forward assist.  But then drill in it's use.  Otherwise, what's the point?

Y'know - it just occurred to me - if Olympic would just machine the God damned forward assist groves in their God damned pistol caliber bolt carriers the whole thing wouldn't be so God damned absurd.  How could it hurt to do that one step?  Having one and not the other is just stupid and makes me feel like a fool.  I know the FA is meaningless.  Why is it there?  Because they can't be bothered to stock slick-side uppers, that's why!  Then just finish the job and put the grooves on the bolt carrier.  Then we all look less idiotic.  How about that, Oly?

Sorry.  Just a minor gin-inspired rant.
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 5:32:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
That sounds more like a half-assed method to use as last resort to try to get the bolt closed.
Pretty much the definition of a forward assist

Link Posted: 1/5/2013 5:35:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Better to have and not need.
I would want it on a hunting rifle so I can press check quietly.

The custom builders like it because it is less parts and a little smoother looking.
Also it makes the gun a few ounces lighter.

exactly. very nice for hunting. Quiet bolt closeing if needed.

Link Posted: 1/5/2013 5:44:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I'll laugh like hell in private, but I will keep it to myself.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top