Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/11/2012 8:13:52 PM EDT
A quick question on the effect of using tracers in the different style barrels.  I got into a discussion with a LGS owner today about the effect of using tracer ammo in the barrels.  I know that when I was active duty Marine back during the first gulf war.  Tracers were loaded every fifth round as it was explained to us that too many tracer round in a row would allow the phosphorous to do damage and heat up the barrel to very high temps very quickly.

I know that we blew the internals of a M60 barrel on a night fire when we linked 200 rounds and let it fly. Sparks flew everywhere and the barrel got so hot it finally drooped toward the ground.  The barrel had reached the end of its usability and the company armorer told us to destroy it, so we did, at night.

Back to the question at hand, what will the tracer rounds if ran every round (not every 5th) do to the different types of barrels?  Stainless Steel?  CMV?  Chrome lined?  Does anyone have any FIRST HAND experience with this?
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 9:21:11 PM EDT
[#1]
They do nothing. No more wear than a normal bullet.
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 9:49:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Modern tracers have an ignition delay compound in the base of the bullet to give some distance from the muzzle before light up. The bullets themselves do no harm to the bore.

Old WW2 technology tracers lit while still in the barrel. Phosphorus is some pretty hot burning stuff.

Modern tracer rounds are loaded with a slightly higher caloric content (hotter) powder than ball ammo to ensure ignition of the delay compound which lights easier and burns at lower temperature than the trace compound.

In short,,M856 tracers are o.k. as long as your wallet can take the beating.

Link Posted: 12/12/2012 2:59:57 PM EDT
[#3]
A LSG owner has a chance to buy some surplus tracer rounds from 1969.   Round are sealed in a can and have been told that only about 20% tracers actually go off.  He was asking me if it was a good deal if he bought it.  I was just wondering if it would hurt the barrel on my new AR if I bought some of it.  I might buy 100 rounds and then just load it every 5th round like I did in the USMC.
Link Posted: 12/12/2012 3:18:13 PM EDT
[#4]
are you allowed to use tracers at ranges? pardon my ignorance
Link Posted: 12/12/2012 3:19:53 PM EDT
[#5]
The argument that I always heard was that semi-auto firing of tracers (without the intervening four regular rounds) would allow  phosphorus to remain in the bore.
The other poster's remark that modern tracer doesn't do that is heartening; I snagged some and may shoot a bit of it.
Moon
Link Posted: 12/12/2012 3:22:33 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Modern tracers have an ignition delay compound in the base of the bullet to give some distance from the muzzle before light up. The bullets themselves do no harm to the bore.

Old WW2 technology tracers lit while still in the barrel. Phosphorus is some pretty hot burning stuff.

Modern tracer rounds are loaded with a slightly higher caloric content (hotter) powder than ball ammo to ensure ignition of the delay compound which lights easier and burns at lower temperature than the trace compound.

In short,,M856 tracers are o.k. as long as your wallet can take the beating.

QFT.  Totally safe.

Link Posted: 12/12/2012 4:58:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I might have been party to a slight brush fire many years ago due to tracers.
Link Posted: 12/12/2012 5:02:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/12/2012 6:35:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I might have been party to a slight brush fire many years ago due to tracers.

Me too, with an M1 Garand.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top