Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2012 2:06:40 PM EDT
Folks I just finished my first build and got a question. I put in a JP Tuned and Polished Extra Power Buffer Spring and a H2 buffer thinking this would lessen recoil some under the thought process that a heavier buffer/ buffer spring barring would help with this as long as it did not cause short stroking. However seemed there was more "jarring" than with a standard buffer spring? Is that possible or could I just be imagining/over thinking it? Factors in this situation include:
16in barrel w/ mid-length gas system and Spikes tactical comp
BVAC 55gr 223 ammo

Don't worry about hurting my feelings just want to know if this has ever happened to anyone else?
Link Posted: 9/8/2012 2:43:26 PM EDT
[#1]

Possible?  I guess anything is possible.

I have a 16" middy and I changed out the standard buffer for an H buffer and I feel less recoil in this configuration.

Heavier spring and buffer should make for less felt recoil as I understand it.

Try different combinations of the components you have and see if you can find a setup that isn't jarring.

I can't really say why the new stuff is more jarring than the original parts.

Link Posted: 9/8/2012 3:34:29 PM EDT
[#2]
yeah and thats what I was thinking to (heavier buffer/buffer spring=lighter recoil) and yest I realize its a AR15 so recoil aint that bad at all but still it seems the recoil is more jarring with the extra-power buffer spring? Again maybe I'm just imagining it and just need to let the gun break in but it does seem to feel different? Is it possible because I'm using light ammo (BVAC 55gr) with heavier buffer/spring?

Has anyone else had issues with JP Enterprises buffer springs?
Link Posted: 9/8/2012 3:55:07 PM EDT
[#3]
There is more to reducing recoil than just buffer and spring.  Bcg, gas system, and comps are other factors.  

Most people tend to go increased mass with heavier buffers and M16 carriers and comps.  
3gun shooters tend to do the opposite - Low mass bcg, adjustable gas, standard buffers, comps.  

Your spring is fine, JP makes quality stuff.  Completely possible that you feel more recoil but it should be more of a push and less snappy.  You've increased mass so there is more push than snap.  Gas will be a big factor as well as comp from here.
Link Posted: 9/8/2012 5:26:38 PM EDT
[#4]
as said above, more mass means more energy is going to be needed spent in order cycle the gun, thus reducing perceived recoil, not actual. The bolt still has to come back and have the inertia to strip a round from the magazine and chamber it. Its just not doing it as FAST anymore. You have a increased dwell time in the bolt. Where as most standard carbine setups will have a much faster cycle rate. You may be being thrown off due to the increased dwell time of the bolt.
Link Posted: 9/8/2012 7:14:48 PM EDT
[#5]
A heavier spring reacts quicker. It should feel harder because you're absorbing the same amount of energy in less time. Its the equivalent of jamming on your brakes to a stop or easing on them
Link Posted: 9/8/2012 7:21:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I would Use a JP spring (7%) with a standard or light weight buffer.

Or use a heavy buffer with a standard spring.

What did it feel like with just a heavy buffer and standard spring?

My 16" mid-length gas is a smoother shooter with a 9mm buffer and a standard spring than with a standard weight buffer and standard spring.
Link Posted: 9/8/2012 7:40:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

My 16" mid-length gas is a smoother shooter with a 9mm buffer and a standard spring than with a standard weight buffer and standard spring.

There was some video slow motion showing that heavy buffers, and especially the 9 mm, could result in bolt bounce.  

Link Posted: 9/8/2012 8:31:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

There was some video slow motion showing that heavy buffers, and especially the 9 mm, could result in bolt bounce.  

Link Posted: 9/8/2012 8:34:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 9mm isn't designed to work with any of the rifle calibers.  It's overall weight is more than an H3, BUT the reciprocating weight is a lot less.  The same or even less than a standard carbine buffer.  It doesn't have the proper deadblow effect that a proper buffer does.  If you really want an extra heavy buffer, get the one from SAW that uses a steel body with three tungsten weights.
Link Posted: 9/8/2012 8:43:32 PM EDT
[#10]
I haven't experienced any malfunctions or issues with the 9mm buffer.

Actually the standard weight buffer causes more bolt bounce than the heavier buffers. Less bolt bounce with a heavier buffer.

http://youtu.be/pRn68HwZf34
Link Posted: 9/8/2012 9:08:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 9mm isn't designed to work with any of the rifle calibers.  It's overall weight is more than an H3, BUT the reciprocating weight is a lot less.  The same or even less than a standard carbine buffer.  It doesn't have the proper deadblow effect that a proper buffer does.  If you really want an extra heavy buffer, get the one from SAW that uses a steel body with three tungsten weights.

Correct, the 9mm buffer wasn't designed to be used in a rifle caliber AR, But has been used by many for quite some time now to help reduce felt recoil - with no issues. The RRA is a 2 piece design to help with deadblow , its not just 1 sold piece - at least mine isn't.

As far as bolt bounce is concerned its not a real issue. It happens with standard buffer. Some say excessive bolt bounce may be an issue in "full auto" rifles - which I don't think the OP was referring to.

Link Posted: 9/9/2012 7:19:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct, the 9mm buffer wasn't designed to be used in a rifle caliber AR, But has been used by many for quite some time now to help reduce felt recoil - with no issues. The RRA is a 2 piece design to help with deadblow , its not just 1 sold piece - at least mine isn't.

As far as bolt bounce is concerned its not a real issue. It happens with standard buffer. Some say excessive bolt bounce may be an issue in "full auto" rifles - which I don't think the OP was referring to.

This, bolt bounce is a concern with FA AR's, not SA's.

Link Posted: 9/9/2012 7:50:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
A heavier spring reacts quicker. It should feel harder because you're absorbing the same amount of energy in less time. Its the equivalent of jamming on your brakes to a stop or easing on them

This.

Link Posted: 9/12/2012 5:04:54 PM EDT
[#14]
well with the JP buffer and H2 buffer seemed it did cycle slower and had a heavier slap forward? is that possible or am I imagining things or misinterpreting?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top