Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/30/2012 12:41:54 PM EDT
Just got some in at my work

anyone try one yet? are they any different from the new frontiers?

they don't seem too spectacular , but cheap enough to toss in the safe for the hell of it IMO

Link Posted: 7/30/2012 12:45:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 12:46:25 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Huh? plastic lower of some kind?

I suspect they are rebadged new frontiers but not sure

I'll snap a few more pics

Link Posted: 7/30/2012 12:47:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 12:57:45 PM EDT
[#4]

Link Posted: 7/30/2012 1:11:49 PM EDT
[#5]
How much is retail?
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 1:16:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 1:21:31 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

How much is retail?

$120

Link Posted: 7/30/2012 1:25:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 1:28:11 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

does the hammer have any writing on it?

Its is metal internals  I was wrong

no writing just a circle with 2 dots

looks like a smiley face  with no mouth

Link Posted: 7/30/2012 1:54:19 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Metal internals but looks like a Plum Crazy receiver  

You can see the square where they insert the various logo's into the area on the magwell

the Plum Crazy receiver does not have the full fencing on the right side of the magwell, only a "backwards C" around the magazine release.  this is a different mold that what the Plum Crazy and New Frontier Armory lowers use.

Link Posted: 7/30/2012 1:58:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:
does the hammer have any writing on it?

Its is metal internals  I was wrong
no writing just a circle with 2 dots
looks like a smiley face  with no mouth

http://i50.tinypic.com/2ldu7on.jpg

There is nothing more sinister than a hammer that just stares back at you......with no expression....
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 2:34:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:

You mean PLUM CRAZY FIREARMS that got rebadge to new frontiers
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 2:45:39 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You mean PLUM CRAZY FIREARMS that got rebadge to new frontiers
Did not know New Frontiers were Plum Crazys Have never had the chance to handle a Plum Crazy

so had nothing else to compare it to

Don't carry New Frontiers just have had a few transferred in

Link Posted: 7/30/2012 2:48:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 2:50:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 2:51:34 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

All three appear to be using the same mold, just with different writing

Don't the New frontiers and Plum Crazys have some plastic parts in the  FCG?

I didn't mess with the New Frontiers we had as don't finger bang peoples transfer firearms beyond confirming SN

I search way more than I post in the tech forums

did a search and figured there would be a few threads already about these but it was apparently not the case

Link Posted: 7/30/2012 3:02:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 3:14:18 PM EDT
[#18]
seems like a different mold, also seems like different materials this one posted by the op looks smoother

heres a pic of the NFA one notice the difference between the area around the mag catch as well as the takedown detent.

I'm pretty sure plum crazy sold the mold NFA is definately not plum crazy

Link Posted: 7/30/2012 7:31:41 PM EDT
[#19]
If you stripped the metal parts does a magnet stick to it anywhere? Or set off a metal detector?  

Can only hope this is a new design with metal reinforcement, might have something then.
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 7:42:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
If you stripped the metal parts does a magnet stick to it anywhere? Or set off a metal detector?  

Can only hope this is a new design with metal reinforcement, might have something then.

it really doesn't need metal reinforcement my poly lower works great.

All the reports of the failing plum crazy lowers don't seem to have any substantiation it a pic of a broken lower I can find more pics of busted aluminum lowers.

If the 3d printed lower doesn't convince you that polymer is a viable option especially when it's reinforced with other materials jsut like all the pistol frames out there then you should just quit the campaign against them.

I have yet to see an actual report of one of the new ones failing and i question the pics of the plum crazy.

go get one and show us it breaking under normal hard use or quit complaining about them
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 7:54:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 7:56:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/31/2012 7:06:54 AM EDT
[#23]
More info:

Accurate Shooter - ATI Polymer AR15 Lower

Suggested prices: stripped lower is $49.95, complete lower is $129.95.
Link Posted: 7/31/2012 8:55:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

All the reports of the failing plum crazy lowers don't seem to have any substantiation it a pic of a broken lower I can find more pics of busted aluminum lowers.

If the 3d printed lower doesn't convince you that polymer is a viable option especially when it's reinforced with other materials jsut like all the pistol frames out there then you should just quit the campaign against them.

I have yet to see an actual report of one of the new ones failing and i question the pics of the plum crazy.

go get one and show us it breaking under normal hard use or quit complaining about them

First of all, I never said polymer couldn't be a viable option.  I think they are.  Glocks and especially the M&P are reinforced by steel inserts.  

Second, I bet you can find more busted aluminum uppers - they have been around the longest, most used, etc.  Bound to break one some time.  There are not many polymer lowers out there - YET.  Third, how did the aluminum lowers break?  Just doing a google image search for broken AR lowers revealed trigger guard ear breaks (still usable) and a couple polymer lower breaks of unusable form.  

3D printing has shown to work but not shown to be durable - YET.

How many rounds through your polymer lower?  What do you use it for or what action has it seen?

Again, I am not saying they are not viable just cautious of them.  So are many other people too.

Quoted:

Quoted:

The receiver extension is metal on the lw 15, along with obviously the springs and buffer  

^ See bold - meaning just the stripped lower.
Link Posted: 7/31/2012 10:05:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Interesting that the FCG is metal and not plastic like my Plum Crazy. I actually prefer the trigger in my Plum Crazy lower to the single stage that came with both my RRA lowers, and I use it on a 7.62x39 upper shooting surplus Yugo ammo with no light strike issues. But this might be an alternative to those who don't want a plastic FCG for a few dollars more. My only experience with ATI was installing their Storm copy stock on my Hi Point 995, on par with Mako & CAA's stuff.
Link Posted: 8/1/2012 10:01:12 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

No metal reinforcement I can see

magnet sticks to nothing

observations from taking it apart

The FCG pins came out with ridiculous ease enough so it would concern me

The hammer and trigger  fit in the receiver very tightly and ya had to tug pretty good to get um out after the pins were removed

The spot to screw on the pistol grip is poly also , so people better be care full with the allen wrench if they swap something out

still for the price I'm gonna buy 1-2 just for speculation purposes

here's a couple more pics

Link Posted: 8/1/2012 1:59:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

First of all, I never said polymer couldn't be a viable option.  I think they are.  Glocks and especially the M&P are reinforced by steel inserts.  

Second, I bet you can find more busted aluminum uppers - they have been around the longest, most used, etc.  Bound to break one some time.  There are not many polymer lowers out there - YET.  Third, how did the aluminum lowers break?  Just doing a google image search for broken AR lowers revealed trigger guard ear breaks (still usable) and a couple polymer lower breaks of unusable form.  

3D printing has shown to work but not shown to be durable - YET.

How many rounds through your polymer lower?  What do you use it for or what action has it seen?

Again, I am not saying they are not viable just cautious of them.  So are many other people too.

Quoted:

Quoted:

The receiver extension is metal on the lw 15, along with obviously the springs and buffer  

^ See bold - meaning just the stripped lower.

A 3d printed lower as an option for what?  I'm not one of these guys who abuse their rifles just so it looks used, but if you're going to compare the failure rate for polymer vs. precipitation hardened aluminum, you need to sort out those polymer lower owners who handle their rifles like a million dollar Strad.

I'd be more interested in a 3d printer making a fine-powdered, sintered metal part over anything plastic.

Link Posted: 8/4/2012 8:50:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Well seems putting an upper on these is not quite a drop in deal

sold a few and this is what I have discovered with customers trying to put uppers of various makers on them
1 the threads for the buffer tube have a fair amount of flash that needs to be cut/sanded/beat down

2 the spot for the rear tang of the upper appears to be a bit narrow and again needs to be opened up a bit  or the upper needs to be beaten into place with an alarming amount of force  

Link Posted: 8/4/2012 7:19:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Wasn't Omni Consumer Products the company that invented Robocop?

I have a polymer lower from Vulcan -put the torches down- that I have on a dedicated .22. I like these polymer lowers. You can put together a soda can killer really cheap, and I know 3 more people that wouldn't have had ar's that now have them because of the price point.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top