Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/29/2012 9:53:09 AM EDT
Well first off let me start by stating that this is my first time shooting a scoped AR-15 and that I'm not sharpshooter and thanks BrowardMason for giving me a great deal on my scope.

My set up is a Stag Arms 2TL+ with 16" chrome lined barrel with 1:7 twist with a 4-16x44 Primary Arms scope.

Schooting with Bi-pod, seated at a bench.

I first started to zero in at 50 yards using steel 55grn tulammo. Only took about 20 rounds to have it in the money.
After I moved down to 100 yards and shot the "better quality" ammo.

My biggest struggle was getting an appropriate cheek weld wile maintaining proper eye relief and of course remaining stable..
I realize this take a lot of practice but I'm kind of second guessing my set up due to its degree of comfort. I snapped a couple pics of my 2 tightest groups..

Rifle:

3 shot group of the black hills heavy match rounds:

4 shot group of the 55grn Hornady ZMAX round.

If anyone has any input or or helpful suggestions im all ears.
Link Posted: 7/29/2012 9:57:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Move your scope futher forward and get a shorter bipod and 20 round magazines
Link Posted: 7/29/2012 10:13:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I was thinking maybe moving the scope forward would help but did not try that. Also I don't think a shorter bipod would work worked. The elevation of the target was higher then the shooting bench. Also in 6'2 with lanky arms.
Link Posted: 7/29/2012 10:39:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Nice.  Definitely move the optic up.
Link Posted: 7/29/2012 11:25:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Definitely move the scope forward until you have the proper eye relief and your cheek weld on the stock is comfortable.

WRT initial sighting in, if at all possible sight in at 25 yards to begin and then move to 100 yards. A center hit at 25 yards will be 2 - 3 inches high at 100 yards depending upon the cartridge. This is a technique used by hunters to sight in their deer rifles for generations and it works just fine for the AR. It'll get you on target quickly with minimal cartridges expended.

Your 100 yard groups are encouraging and you'll get better with practice.
Link Posted: 7/29/2012 1:32:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was thinking maybe moving the scope forward would help but did not try that. Also I don't think a shorter bipod would work worked. The elevation of the target was higher then the shooting bench. Also in 6'2 with lanky arms.

You will never get proper stability with your current Bipod set up
Link Posted: 7/29/2012 2:48:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What do you mean? By it being to tall?
Link Posted: 7/29/2012 4:56:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Having a solid front and rear support will help a lot, too....

Link Posted: 7/29/2012 7:07:20 PM EDT
[#8]
There ya' go.  Ditch the bipod entirely, and just carry this handy bench and all that rest garbage around with you.  That will improve your "marksmanship".
It may help to look around at the scoped varmint rifle picture thread and see how they're set up.
Link Posted: 7/29/2012 7:17:03 PM EDT
[#9]
How about 10 round groups?
Link Posted: 7/29/2012 7:17:29 PM EDT
[#10]
I too use a bipod as well.  But to be honest with you a set of shooting bags will give you better stability for setup and accuracy testing.  Once you get your weapon platform dialed in install your bipod for field use and enjoy

Edit:  I also agree with everyone else, move the scope forward to a more usable position and maybe get a bipod that isn't so tall.

Link Posted: 7/29/2012 8:33:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What do you mean? By it being to tall?

Yes, one a bolt gun with a 6"-9" bipod it is amazing the stability diffence going from 9" to the lower 6" setting.  6" is to low to work with an AR really but the lower the better
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 3:48:16 AM EDT
[#12]
For a better cheek weld I put CAA saddle stocks on all my collapsible stocks. Our public range also has several homemade 'sleds' made out of steel or wood for sighting in, if cost is an issue one of those can be welded or nailed together on the cheap. As far as the bipod, I say set it to whatever height works for you.
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 4:36:14 AM EDT
[#13]
From a good stable bench, you can sight in in 2 shots (in theory).  Aim for the X and take your first shot,  get lined up back on target then adjust your crosshairs till they are on your previous POI and you're done.  I don't always have a good bench and sandbags available so sometimes it take more than two... But usually under 5.

As has been mentioned, a shorter bipod is steadier.  Use a shorter mag if you need to.  Also, 5shot groups are going to be more meaningful to you as a reflection of what you're doing
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top