Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 7:09:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
The 5th round from the right reminds me of one of the pieces of brass from the Colt kaboom thread that everyone said was run over by a lawnmower.

No it doesn't.  For one, the round in the Colt thread had chewed up irregular looking edges.  Two, the round in the other thread was already fired, and that damage could not have occurred before it was fired, because it either would not have chambered with that degree of deformation, or even if it was able to chamber, the pressures of the firing and the bullet leaving the case would have straightened it to a large degree.  Whatever chewed it up, had to have happened AFTER it was fired.  That is not to say the rifle didn't do it, but it simply can't happen the way you are warping it in your mind.
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 7:31:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The 5th round from the right reminds me of one of the pieces of brass from the Colt kaboom thread that everyone said was run over by a lawnmower.

No it doesn't.  For one, the round in the Colt thread had chewed up irregular looking edges.  Two, the round in the other thread was already fired, and that damage could not have occurred before it was fired, because it either would not have chambered with that degree of deformation, or even if it was able to chamber, the pressures of the firing and the bullet leaving the case would have straightened it to a large degree.  Whatever chewed it up, had to have happened AFTER it was fired.  That is not to say the rifle didn't do it, but it simply can't happen the way you are warping it in your mind.

I think that nobody would disagree that a picture of a handful of cartridges with the bullets pushed in is not good advertising for PSA.

Link Posted: 6/17/2012 7:39:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think that nobody would disagree that a picture of a handful of cartridges with the bullets pushed in is not good advertising for PSA.

Anyone that uses their head would not assume it is a PSA problem.  The problem could be caused by the ammo, the magazines, or the rifle.  I have seen more than a few "improperly aligned" feed ramps, including on my Colts, and they do not cause any problems.  The right feed jam is usually caused by the mags.  Although PSA has even come on here and stated that the round should be hitting towards the center of the feed ramp, the small misalignment in the pictures, once it is realigned, is not going to cause the bullet to hit center, based on how far off to the left the rounds are currently hitting.  The rounds may very well have too little neck tension or improper size bullets, so the rounds may be doing what most other rounds do, but instead of bouncing up into the chamber, the bullets may be setting back some, which is causing the brass to catch, which in turn causes the bolt to drive the bullets as far back as they will go until the powder stops it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 7:58:56 AM EDT
[#4]
I have Colt,CMMG and Bushmaster M4 and SOCOM barrels the ramps on the extension match up perfectly to THM.CMY and BCM M4 marked uppers.While there should be no lip where the extension ramp meets the upper ramp and on Colt barrels the upper parts of the extension ramps are always polished..extension ramps to upper ramps are seamless smoothe.If the cartridge is hitting the ramp itself then its a mag problem or magazine spring problem and then if theres a rough ramp problem all of those together can make feeding problems.Look at how rounds feed in a non M4 ramped upper its the cartiredge shoulder that hits the ramp as the round pops up and angles up.Send the upper back and let them deal with the product they built,send the pics and describe the problem..glad you werent hurt.Then when it comes back try different ammo and mags along with your original mag and ammo combo and see.
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 10:43:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
http://i49.tinypic.com/102tiy8.jpg

How does anyone get their rifle that clean???

Hahaha  I have only shoot like 40 rounds more or less. But yea I always keep the rifles clean even my aks!   Obsession maybe but I enjoy cleaning the rifles a lot.  
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 10:46:00 AM EDT
[#6]
I just ordered 2 complete PSA uppers. I will be checking them over close when they arrive.
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 10:54:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 11:50:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I take it reading comprehension isn't one of your strong points? I said it REMINDS ME OF. I didn't say they were the same or imply that the failures were related.

Even at my advanced age I still know what something reminds me of. Wait...what were we saying?
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 12:32:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I take it reading comprehension isn't one of your strong points? I said it REMINDS ME OF. I didn't say they were the same or imply that the failures were related.

Even at my advanced age I still know what something reminds me of. Wait...what were we saying?

My reading comprehension is just fine.  You were trying to imply that there was a parallel between the two rounds, the failure that occurred in the Colt, and the possible ramifications to the OP if he continued to operate his "defective" rifle, all the while grasping at something that wasn't there.

There is no other reason for you to have made that statement.  It has nothing to do with anything that was happening in this thread or in the other one.
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 3:36:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My reading comprehension is just fine.  You were trying to imply that there was a parallel between the two rounds, the failure that occurred in the Colt, and the possible ramifications to the OP if he continued to operate his "defective" rifle, all the while grasping at something that wasn't there.

There is no other reason for you to have made that statement.  It has nothing to do with anything that was happening in this thread or in the other one.

So now you're a mind reader too? You have no idea what you are talking about. Have a nice day.

Link Posted: 6/17/2012 6:14:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So now you're a mind reader too? You have no idea what you are talking about. Have a nice day.

Stay on ARFCOM for any reasonable amount of time, and you'll get used to the many "Experts" we enjoy on a daily basis.

Link Posted: 6/17/2012 6:21:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stay on ARFCOM for any reasonable amount of time, and you'll get used to the many "Experts" we enjoy on a daily basis.

Well, the funny thing is.  There is no other explanation for why he posted what he did.  Why would we care, or why would it matter what that specific round reminded him of?  What value did that lend to the conversation?

It is kind of like asking the kid with chocolate all over his mouth if he just ate all the chocolate chip cookies.  Did you eat those cookies?  No.  Why is there chocolate all over your face.  I don't know.
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 6:26:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It is kind of like asking the kid with chocolate all over his mouth if he just ate all the chocolate chip cookies.  Did you eat those cookies? Yeah, I ate all yer fuggin cookies. Watcha gonna do about it ?

Fixed.

Link Posted: 6/17/2012 6:49:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, the funny thing is.  There is no other explanation for why he posted what he did.  Why would we care, or why would it matter what that specific round reminded him of?  What value did that lend to the conversation?

It is kind of like asking the kid with chocolate all over his mouth if he just ate all the chocolate chip cookies.  Did you eat those cookies?  No.  Why is there chocolate all over your face.  I don't know.

Your chocolate analogy was an invaluable contribution to the conversation ... NOT.

Link Posted: 6/17/2012 7:03:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What do cookies have to do with this discussion?

Oh yeah, did I mention that you're completely wrong about what I was thinking? You should ask for your money back from the mind reading school.

Have a splendid day!

Link Posted: 6/29/2012 8:59:33 PM EDT
[#16]
to get back on topic, I got my UA back from PSA today. They replaced the upper but not the barrel. I haven't had a change to shoot it but will in the next couple of days.

Here's a picture of the new ramps. The barrel ramps look more symmetrical than they did earlier.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/3778/20120629230142.jpg
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 10:12:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Looks almost the same as your first upper...?  
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 11:34:27 PM EDT
[#18]
You can tell from the brass marks on the ramps it was fired..the bottom line is not necesarily the upper had a problem..but more how the company resolved it and they agreed to take care of it and that means alot.Now to test fire it yourself and see.Alo try a few different mags and a few different types of ammo to see how it runs.
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 5:44:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
You can tell from the brass marks on the ramps it was fired..the bottom line is not necesarily the upper had a problem..but more how the company resolved it and they agreed to take care of it and that means alot.Now to test fire it yourself and see.Alo try a few different mags and a few different types of ammo to see how it runs.

those brass marks on the ramps are mine. I have ammo from three different makers and some Pmag mags now, so we'll see how it goes on the range.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 1:36:03 PM EDT
[#20]
OK, just got back from the range, with the following results:

I fired Federal 193, PMC and Brown Bear 62g HP. I tried them in Pmag and Tapco mags.

All three ammos loaded perfectly from the Pmags, but as soon as I tried them in the Tapco mags, the gun jammed again and again on the right ramp. So, all of you who blamed the mags are at least half right.

The rifle now shoots like a dream. tight groups at 33 yards with all ammo types.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 1:58:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
OK, just got back from the range, with the following results:

I fired Federal 193, PMC and Brown Bear 62g HP. I tried them in Pmag and Tapco mags.

All three ammos loaded perfectly from the Pmags, but as soon as I tried them in the Tapco mags, the gun jammed again and again on the right ramp. So, all of you who blamed the mags are at least half right.

The rifle now shoots like a dream. tight groups at 33 yards with all ammo types.

Did the tapco mags work in any other rifles?

Maybe have the right feed ramp in the barrel extension opened up a little to match the one in the receiver?
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 4:20:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Glad to hear it is running better. From the pic you posted the ramps still look a little off.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 5:59:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Glad to hear it is running better. From the pic you posted the ramps still look a little off.

I was going to say the same thing. They should have polished up the feed ramps a bit so they are at least even. The barrel extension ramps still look a tad smaller, which I would think COULD case a problem, but if it works to your satisfaction, probably no need to mess with things.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 8:22:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Those ramps look as good or better than most I've seen. They look as centered as you could get them. Shouldn't require any polishing. Now that everything is fixed just stay away from junk mags and should be gtg.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 5:03:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Shitty mags, shitty ammo, equal shitty results.  Destroy those tapco mags so you dont pass the problem to anyone else.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top