Previous Page
Page:  / 3
Author
Posted: 5/23/2012 5:46:08 PM
[Last Edit: 5/23/2012 5:52:54 PM by texit]
Does anyone have one of the new Windham Weaponry firearms? I'm thinking about picking up the MPC model, with the HBC as my next choice.

The MSRP on these are $1086 and $1096. I can get the HBC model for $814. This seems like a great deal to me. Its just going to be a plinker, and the WW looks like it will get the job done.

I've called in to speak with their Customer Service department and they seem like great people really working to make the customer happy.

To make a long story short, does anyone here a Windham Weaponry firearm? What do you think about it?

I love the look of this puppy (although, I will probably put a Magpul MOE stock on it the first day):
http://www.windhamweaponry.com/images/rifles/MPC-L.jpg

I was going to get a Smith & Wesson M&P 15 Sport, but I can't find one anywhere. Let me take that back, I found a couple and they looked liked they were assembled by someone with two left hands. Nicks and dings galore.
HKrinkle18
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/23/2012 7:42:32 PM
I was close to buying a WW SRC but went with the Sig M400 instead. It was only a little more but the 1:7 twist and mil-spec receiver extension are what leaned me towards the Sig. Although if you're just plinking with it I don't suppose that would matter. However you could shoot a wider variety of bullet weights with the 1:7 with greater success...or so I've been told.
Adirondack1
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/23/2012 8:15:00 PM
Go with the new Bushmaster company out of Ilion NY.

The QC is alot better than the old Winham ME Bushmaster QC buy quite q bit.
ariesfromhell
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/23/2012 8:16:32 PM
[Last Edit: 5/23/2012 8:17:14 PM by ariesfromhell]
i went the other direction. i looked at the w.w. and the fit and finish was terrible. ended up buying the M&P. to each his own. its all good.
texit
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/23/2012 8:17:00 PM
Originally Posted By Adirondack1:

Really? I've heard different. I haven't heard too many good things of the Bushmasters coming out of Illion NY.
texit
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/23/2012 8:18:21 PM
Originally Posted By ariesfromhell:
i went the other direction. i looked at the w.w. and the fit and finish was terrible. ended up buying the M&P. to each his own. its all good.

Maybe the employees at the shop dinged it up. If I found a good one, I'd go with the M&P 15 Sport.
texit
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/23/2012 10:06:58 PM
Does anyone own a Windham Weaponry?
ariesfromhell
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/23/2012 10:09:45 PM
Originally Posted By texit:
Originally Posted By ariesfromhell:

Maybe the employees at the shop dinged it up. If I found a good one, I'd go with the M&P 15 Sport.

two different shops, same problem.
BillyJack
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/23/2012 10:28:25 PM
Does anyone own a Windham Weaponry?

Have you been to the WW industry subforum yet?

http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_2/489_Windham_Weaponry.html
dhgeyer
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/24/2012 8:29:33 AM
I have a Windham Weaponry MPC. I've only had it for a couple of months and have a thousand or so rounds through it. I have had zero problems. The fit and finish look good. It will shoot MOA with several loads I have tried. It far exceeds the expectations I had when I bought it.

I don't know why so many people on these forums badmouth this company when they don't own any of its products or have any direct experience with them. Leftover anger at Bushmaster I guess. Everyone who actually has a WW rifle has good things to say about it. I wouldn't pay too much attention to the other "experts".

The customer service is beyond good: it is outstanding. I needed a small part due to my own error - I lost it. I called the factory and told them this. No phone tree - human answered the phone. I had a replacement the next day free of charge - part was free, shipping was free. I have called them a few other times just for some information. Always a knowledgeable human answers the phone and takes however long it takes to make me happy. I've never seen CS like this from any company making any product - gun related or not.

I got mine for about $880.00.

texit
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/24/2012 9:14:46 AM
Originally Posted By dhgeyer:
I have a Windham Weaponry MPC. I've only had it for a couple of months and have a thousand or so rounds through it. I have had zero problems. The fit and finish look good. It will shoot MOA with several loads I have tried. It far exceeds the expectations I had when I bought it.

I don't know why so many people on these forums badmouth this company when they don't own any of its products or have any direct experience with them. Leftover anger at Bushmaster I guess. Everyone who actually has a WW rifle has good things to say about it. I wouldn't pay too much attention to the other "experts".

The customer service is beyond good: it is outstanding. I needed a small part due to my own error - I lost it. I called the factory and told them this. No phone tree - human answered the phone. I had a replacement the next day free of charge - part was free, shipping was free. I have called them a few other times just for some information. Always a knowledgeable human answers the phone and takes however long it takes to make me happy. I've never seen CS like this from any company making any product - gun related or not.

I got mine for about $880.00.

Now that is good to hear. I'm so close to putting in an order on the MPC model for $819, seems like a great deal.
BillyJack
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/24/2012 10:06:10 AM
Go get it. Great American company story and I'd love to support them but I'm not in the market. I'll feel better if you buy it.
Bluestreakfl
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/24/2012 2:57:35 PM
I spent a good 2 months doing my homework on what brand and type of rifle to get for my first AR. I gentlemen mentioned Windham Weaponry to me and told me the story behind the company. I looked into it some more, and even called the company several times with inquiries about their guns. The staff was nothing short of exceptionally helpful and informative. I finally decided upon an MPC model. Upon first handling the rifle I felt like I was holding a rifle of much better quality than the price tag. Very well built, finish and fit were superb. My first trip to the range consisted of a good 200 rounds down range, some steel cases Tula and some ultramax brass. Not a single issue, and groups at 50yards were more than satisfactory. All in all I'm extremely happy with my MPC and the folks at Windham are a great bunch of folks. If I decide to buy another AR it will be a Windham.
CDW4ME
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/24/2012 3:14:03 PM
I have a Windham SRC (no sights) and am pleased with it.
I've shot about 200 various rounds through it including my handloads.
I wasn't put off by the 1/9 twist, all my ammo is 55-62 gr.
Wal-Mart sells it for ~$800 and I added Magpul MBUS folding sights. I like having the sight out of the way when I don't need it, and the front sight on my other AR bothered my 7&8 year olds; they do better when they only have to focus on the red dot.
The bolt was staked, lifetime warranty, 4150 barrel steel. Would buy again.
texit
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/24/2012 5:28:27 PM
[Last Edit: 5/24/2012 5:29:36 PM by texit]
I went and looked at the WW MPC at Academy. Very nice gun, it was built very well. The buffer tube looks kind of cheap (maybe with it being shiny? who knows) but other than that it looks like a great rifle. Also, there was almost no slop between the upper and lower.

Now if I can get the courage of putting money down and ordering a rifle. I always like to inspect firearms before I buy, it looks like that may not be the case this time. I would have bought one at Academy if they had more than the display model.
GI_Brat
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/24/2012 8:24:38 PM
My wife & I both have one and we love them, no issues!

The Second Amendment...America's Original Homeland Security.(NRA-ILA)

"Si vis pacem, para bellum"
scudzuki
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/25/2012 9:16:39 AM
[Last Edit: 5/25/2012 9:24:50 AM by scudzuki]
Originally Posted By Adirondack1:

Ummmmmm no.

WW is the original owner of BM who re-opened a company in the original BM location after Freedom Group closed the plant and fired the employees (which they said they would not do).
A lot of BM employees were rehired by WW.

An American success story IMHO.

OTOH if opinions posted on the web are to be believed, BM quality is suffering at the NY plant.

I have an HBC.
It is a tad front-heavier than another carbine I built with an M4 profile barrel, but you will have a hard time flexing the barrel with the handguard with the heavy barrel.
That and the lack of the grenade launcher groove make it look right to me, even though it's a carbine gas 16" barrel.
It has been rock solid through the 1200 rounds I've put through it, other than a few feed problems caused by the used GI mags I had... put Magpul anti-tilt followers in them and have not had even a hiccup since.

WW is GTG in my book.

Joe
scudzuki
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/25/2012 9:27:04 AM
I went and looked at the WW MPC at Academy. Very nice gun, it was built very well. The buffer tube looks kind of cheap (maybe with it being shiny? who knows) but other than that it looks like a great rifle. Also, there was almost no slop between the upper and lower.

Now if I can get the courage of putting money down and ordering a rifle. I always like to inspect firearms before I buy, it looks like that may not be the case this time. I would have bought one at Academy if they had more than the display model.

I doubt the one you order will be any different in fit and finish.
My upper and lower are still snug after 1200 rounds.

Joe
pandc
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/31/2012 8:28:32 AM
Where is everyone getting these for $814.00 ?? I see them at Cabelas for around $899.00
texit
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/31/2012 9:22:00 AM
Originally Posted By pandc:
Where is everyone getting these for $814.00 ?? I see them at Cabelas for around $899.00

Local gun shops ($819-849). Cabelas has the highest prices in town. They also don't have the MPC at Cabelas.
congramp
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/31/2012 12:22:24 PM
I to have been looking at the Windham AR's and after all my research they seem to be about the best buy for the money. I checked the charts for the best AR based on how they were made and assembled. The windham has nearly the same attributes as the best on the list. The main difference seems to be the 1in9 twist of the barrel. According to my research it will stabilize bullet weights up to about 69. I like the history of the company and the testimonials and will probably get the MPC. Some experts have said that they were very impressed with these weapons and had bought one also. Finally I dont like the idea of paying for a name instead of quality. Some companies seem to riding the current buying spree by raising prices and getting as much for their weapons as possible.
cowboy
The Myth
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/31/2012 12:42:35 PM
I have a WW M4 barrel.

I have actually not shot it yet, but it looks as good as any DD or BCM barrel I have. The threads are nicely done and the crown looks good. Mounting a can on it and looking down the bore, it appears the threads were cut concentrically to the bore. The parkerizing is as even as any "top shelf" company.

I'm not sure if they make any or all of it in house, but even if they outsource it they are paying attention to what they slap their name on, and thats always a good thing.
The legend.

Judging by our fighting skills, we must be bakers. Yes! Dangerous bakers.
ww15krd
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/31/2012 10:47:40 PM
I have the MPC and I agree with the other WW owners. Very good fit and finish. My first AR and I am glad I didn't get the M&P sport, the fit and finish didn't even compare between the two rifles I handled at my local Academy Sports.
If life gives you lemons, use them for target practice.
M4Tank
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/1/2012 9:21:32 AM
[Last Edit: 6/1/2012 9:27:02 AM by M4Tank]
Few pics of how I set my MPC set up with MOE furnature.

Off topic here, but I wonder why the Windham gets pretty good reviews here for the most part, but at m4carbine.net they pretty much trash Windhams as being complete junk.

Maybe it's because most of them feel there is no way a $800 or so AR could possibly be comparable to their Colt, BCM, DD, etc?
texit
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/1/2012 9:40:37 AM
That looks fantastic!!

I ended up buying an M&P 15 Sport, BUT I'm wishing I would have got the WW MPC.

I am going to sell the Sport ASAP and get the MPC. Nothing particularly is wrong with the Sport, except for mediocre fit and finish. I would rather support WW.
M4Tank
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/1/2012 10:06:59 AM
That looks fantastic!!

I ended up buying an M&P 15 Sport, BUT I'm wishing I would have got the WW MPC.

I am going to sell the Sport ASAP and get the MPC. Nothing particularly is wrong with the Sport, except for mediocre fit and finish. I would rather support WW.

Thanks.

If I were you I'd just keep the M&P. I am sure it's a very good weapon. Unless you can find someone that will give you pretty much what you paid for it.

I would've gotten a Sport, but no one had any. Ordered one from Cabelas but in the week it took to get it, I found the WW MPC and I am glad I did.

Previous Page
Page:  / 3