Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/27/2012 3:46:01 AM EDT
My dad just bought a Windham AR.  I have never heard of them (no big surprise there) and was just wondering if anybody has one and thoughts on them.  It seems like a well built rifle.  We will be shooting it for the first time Sunday.

Thanks,
Mo

ETA:  He paid $825.00 for it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2012 4:02:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Just a new Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 4/27/2012 4:03:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Exactly. After Bushmaster was bought by Freedom Group, a couple of the folks who worked at BM started Windham up. I've yet to see one, but I've heard only good things.
Link Posted: 4/27/2012 4:04:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Before Bushmaster was bought out, that was where they where made.  After the takeover Bushmaster moved their operation elsewhere and laid off many of the employees.
Most of those employees make up Windham Weaponary.
I have a Windham made Bushmaster that never gave me issues.
Pretty good price too.
Link Posted: 4/27/2012 4:10:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Exactly. After Bushmaster was bought by Freedom Group, a couple of the folks who worked at BM started Windham up. I've yet to see one, but I've heard only good things.

Awesome.  My dad is 77 and new to the AR world.  He gave my wife is "only shot once" M&P and wanted a new AR.  We went to the local shop last night and after checking out the Windham I told him I thought it looked good-to-go.  Can't wait to shoot it
Link Posted: 4/27/2012 4:11:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Before Bushmaster was bought out, that was where they where made.  After the takeover Bushmaster moved their operation elsewhere and laid off many of the employees.
Most of those employees make up Windham Weaponary.
I have a Windham made Bushmaster that never gave me issues.
Pretty good price too.

Thanks.  The price seemed right to me as well.  The rifle seems solid.
Link Posted: 4/27/2012 4:17:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Check out their page on the industry forum....I bought an MPC and really am enjoying it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2012 4:18:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Check out their page on the industry forum....I bought an MPC and really am enjoying it.

Just checked them out.  Didn't even know they were on here (all the way at the bottom of the page).  Seems like a great company.
Link Posted: 4/27/2012 5:31:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just checked them out.  Didn't even know they were on here (all the way at the bottom of the page).  Seems like a great company.

I did change out the trigger. The factory trigger was crisp with no creep but is a single stage. I installed an SSA. I have Geisseles in all my ARs.

Link Posted: 4/27/2012 5:43:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Friend bought one for about the same price its a nice AR and it shoots fine no problems so far.
Link Posted: 4/27/2012 5:52:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did change out the trigger. The factory trigger was crisp with no creep but is a single stage. I installed an SSA. I have Geisseles in all my ARs.

I think that is why my dad like the trigger at the store.  Crisp!
Link Posted: 4/27/2012 6:15:04 AM EDT
[#11]
I like what they're doing so far.

Specs of their rifles from another post...

Originally Posted By WW-TechSupport @ http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_489/218524_Colt_vs_Windham.html:

Here's a breakdown of our tech data:

Barrel
steel: 4150 chrome moly vanadium MIL-B-11595E; Q&T 286 / 327 BHN;
STR & STRESS RELIEVED. MP tested. Bores are chrome lined

Bolts: HP/MP tested and shot peened. Carpenter 158 Steel. Batch tested.

Bolt carriers: properly staked and chrome lined.

Upper and lower receivers: Forged 7075 T6 aircraft aluminum

Trigger guards: Aluminum

Finish: Hard coat black anodize

Stainless Steel Barrels: 416 R Stainless

Hardness: Rc 26-32

Our buffer tubes are all commercial spec at this time but we may be offering mil-spec tubes as well in the future.

Seems like pretty solid specs. I'm not sure if they will change the 1:9 to a 1:7 barrel if you ask for it or not. Batch testing on the bolt isn't my personal favorite, but it seems to be okay most of the time. And I'm also not a huge fan of commercial buffer tubes, but they are open to offering mil-spec tubes in the future which is a big plus in my book.

Link Posted: 4/27/2012 7:19:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Wyndam arms is owned and operated by the same people that founded Bushmaster before they sold the company. The rifles are made at the same location on the same equipment by many of the same people that made Bushmaster before the Wyndm ME factory was shut dwn by the current owners of Bushmaster.

The current Bushmaster is just the name.

The Wyndam Arms rifle is the old Bushmaster
Link Posted: 4/27/2012 7:27:48 AM EDT
[#13]
glad to see the support for windham

I cut my AR teeth on bushmaster, broke my heart when freedom group moved the plant.

still have first bushmaster.......................just the lower which hosts a BCM A4 upper
Link Posted: 4/27/2012 7:39:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Wyndam arms is owned and operated by the same people that founded Bushmaster before they sold the company. The rifles are made at the same location on the same equipment by many of the same people that made Bushmaster before the Wyndm ME factory was shut dwn by the current owners of Bushmaster.

The current Bushmaster is just the name.

The Wyndam Arms rifle is the old Bushmaster

So it seems like my dad has a win with this rifle!
Link Posted: 4/27/2012 7:43:12 AM EDT
[#15]
I've looked at a few and like what I see. Also, read an article on Windham and it's a great American story. Definitely a company I would support.
Link Posted: 4/27/2012 9:18:39 AM EDT
[#16]
It's little things that make a company.

I had an issue with an order they shipped by Smart Post that took IMO way to long to arrive.

They reviewed their procedures and discontinued using Smart Post and then reposted in my thread their results...

Erik their Mod is a great sounding board and has been nothing but helpful.

Richard Dyke, owner, rehired 52 of the former Bushy people for the start up. FIFTY TWO!!! How many companies have been bought up by the corporate raiders and augered in the ground.  

I will buy another WW...
Link Posted: 4/27/2012 9:30:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/27/2012 9:40:14 AM EDT
[#18]
There was a really cool article about Windham in the 4/20 edition of SGN. Seems like a good company being run by a stand up guy.
Link Posted: 4/27/2012 10:38:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
It's little things that make a company.

I had an issue with an order they shipped by Smart Post that took IMO way to long to arrive.

They reviewed their procedures and discontinued using Smart Post and then reposted in my thread their results...

Erik their Mod is a great sounding board and has been nothing but helpful.

Richard Dyke, owner, rehired 52 of the former Bushy people for the start up. FIFTY TWO!!! How many companies have been bought up by the corporate raiders and augered in the ground.  

I will buy another WW...

Again. Sounds like a GREAT company.  My next AR will be from them!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top