BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/26/2012 9:05:59 AM EDT
went shooting with some buddies on saturday when my buddy's rifle turned into a grenade. it's a PSA lower with PSA lower build kit and their 16" stainless upper. was firing reloads acquired from his brother-in-law (there were 6 left of 500). had several rounds in a row with primer strikes that didn't set off the round. he was (luckily) firing from the hip while testing out the ammo. magazine catch and bolt catch both shot off into his left arm, but other than that no damage done. bolt carrier flowered open where the bolt is inserted, magazine shot out of the well at a billion miles per hour, half of the extractor sheared off, upper receiver blew out (for lack of a better term) and was torn apart at the rear lug. had to hammer back the BCG to make sure that nothing would go off; then took a cleaning rod and popped out the case (and the bullet), which is pictured below. barrel/extension seem to be fine, except for what appear to be bullet shavings/fragments at the muzzle. still haven't been able to completely remove the BCG from the upper.

ammo that's too hot? obstruction in barrel? what causes this? i took pics of as many things as i felt were necessary. i can take additional pics. sucks to see a dead upper but just happy nobody got hurt.

Link Posted: 3/26/2012 9:10:06 AM EDT
[#1]
nvrmnd.
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 9:11:21 AM EDT
[#2]
My guess would be that reloaded ammo.
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 9:13:59 AM EDT
[#3]
That looks like a reload that was way over pressure.
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 9:14:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
That looks like a reload that was way over pressure.

That would be my guess too.....

Link Posted: 3/26/2012 9:17:19 AM EDT
[#5]
I would say the problem lies with the rocket scientist who reloaded the ammo,over pressure round.Rifles a complete loss but everyones ok thats the important thing...even thouigh the rifles trashed it contained the disaster.
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 9:18:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Round doesn't appear to have been seated fully into the chamber when the primer was fired.  I've got a couple questions about that.  The primer was struck by the firing pin so the KB didn't happen from a improperly seated primer that was hit by the BCG when the round was being pushed into the chamber.  So, how did this happen?  The firing pin shouldn't even be able to contact the primer unless the bolt is locked into battery.  

Did it have any trouble firing, or did it chamber and fire like a normal round, but explode in the process?
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 9:18:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Looks like your friend's brother-in-law was mad at him. j/k

I'd have to agree with the posts above. Looks like this was caused by reloads.

Sorry for his loss and I hope he wasn't too badly injured.
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 9:18:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Second on the reloaded ammo. Freak accidents happen, it is a machine and machines are prone to flaws like anything else; no matter how well built.

But I'd wager it was probably the reloaded ammo. Did you pull the bullets on the reloaded ammo remaining and check them? I am not a reloading expert, but most of these failures tend to be user error when reloading ammo.

Sounds stupid, but did you CHECK the barrel after the "dead" rounds failed to fire? Perhaps a bullet went partially down the barrel?
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 9:19:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Whatever you do, do not shoot any more reloads from your buddies brother-in-law.  

He needs a re-education on reloading.
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 9:20:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Im going to go with OOB, since he had several "no-go-bangs" before this then a KaBoom.

Someone correct me if im nuts.
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 9:20:50 AM EDT
[#11]
This is EXACTLY why I dont shoot reloaded ammo.

Had a nice S&W .38spcl explode in my hand...  It was the reloaders pistol.  The shrapnel almost caught one of my sons in the face.
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 9:22:51 AM EDT
[#12]
may have been a squib from one of the dead rounds, maybe a double load in the reload. Makes me think twice about the reloading kit i have on my wishlist.
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 9:25:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Overcharged round IMHO.

Your buddies brother-in-law owes your buddy a new AR.......but your buddy is just as much at fault for shooting someone else's reloads. Glad he wasn't hurt!
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 9:25:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
went shooting with some buddies on saturday when my buddy's rifle turned into a grenade. it's a PSA lower with PSA lower build kit and their 16" stainless upper. was firing reloads acquired from his brother-in-law (there were 6 left of 500). had several rounds in a row with primer strikes that didn't set off the round. he was (luckily) firing from the hip while testing out the ammo. magazine catch and bolt catch both shot off into his left arm, but other than that no damage done. bolt carrier flowered open where the bolt is inserted, magazine shot out of the well at a billion miles per hour, half of the extractor sheared off, upper receiver blew out (for lack of a better term) and was torn apart at the rear lug. had to hammer back the BCG to make sure that nothing would go off; then took a cleaning rod and popped out the case (and the bullet), which is pictured below. barrel/extension seem to be fine, except for what appear to be bullet shavings/fragments at the muzzle. still haven't been able to completely remove the BCG from the upper.

ammo that's too hot? obstruction in barrel? what causes this? i took pics of as many things as i felt were necessary. i can take additional pics. sucks to see a dead upper but just happy nobody got hurt.

I don't think I'd ever shoot someone else's reloads.
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 9:35:47 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't think I'd ever shoot someone else's reloads.

QFT and to be even more clear, I would never shoot anyone else's reloads. Period.

Link Posted: 3/26/2012 9:38:12 AM EDT
[#16]
thanks for all of the feedback. i too think that it was just WAY over pressure. after it kaboom'd, my buddy walked over and said "if you want, you can say 'i told you so,' because you told me 1,000 times to not shoot his reloads."

Quoted:
Round doesn't appear to have been seated fully into the chamber when the primer was fired.  I've got a couple questions about that.  The primer was struck by the firing pin so the KB didn't happen from a improperly seated primer that was hit by the BCG when the round was being pushed into the chamber.  So, how did this happen?  The firing pin shouldn't even be able to contact the primer unless the bolt is locked into battery.  

Did it have any trouble firing, or did it chamber and fire like a normal round, but explode in the process?

i'm not sure how it happened. there were several rounds before that seated just fine, but when he pulled the trigger you'd hear the hammer drop but nothing would happen. he'd eject the round, a new one would seat, but none of them went off. then this happened. i believe that the bolt was locked into battery; it appeared to be when we were hammering out the BCG. not sure if this answered your question(s).
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 9:41:06 AM EDT
[#17]

What is that bullet in the pic from? Was that recovered from the blown up gun? If so then obstructed barrel looks like the winner.
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 9:41:10 AM EDT
[#18]
* adds digital scale back to reloading wishlist.
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 9:42:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c121/exploder1/20120326_103515.jpg

What is that bullet in the pic from? Was that recovered from the blown up gun? If so then obstructed barrel looks like the winner.

it popped out along with the case when we used a cleaning rod from muzzle to chamber.

ETA: is that related at all to what look like bullet shavings at the muzzle?
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 9:45:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Another black eye for reloads....
I use only my own.

Now this guy will find out what kind of a guy his brother-in-law is.
I hope the BIL steps up and makes it right...

Link Posted: 3/26/2012 9:47:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Agreed. I don't usually find a bullet in the bore when I clean my rifle.
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 9:54:32 AM EDT
[#22]
After several failures to fire, your buddy didn't check and clear malfunctions/squib or question the ammo? He just kept firing?

Shocking.
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 9:55:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 9:56:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

it popped out along with the case when we used a cleaning rod from muzzle to chamber.

From your description of those rounds that failed to ignite, it's possible that one was a squib and its bullet lodged in the bore.
Then the next normal round is a grenade.
Did you see that all the FTF rounds still had their bullets ? Very important to observe this and check the barrel when this happens.

If they did, then it's possible that it was an underloaded round.

Either way, I would, without hesitation, suspect those reloads.
Not a reload hater ( I reload), but that's what it appears to be.
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 10:00:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 10:01:29 AM EDT
[#26]
I know its completely off topic.......but how you like that primary arms red dot?
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 10:03:26 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can you do a real close up of the projectile?

I seriously think there was a 55gr in the brass case, then another seated on top
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 10:07:25 AM EDT
[#28]
If you found a bullet in the bore/cartridge after firing that round, I would think that the barrel had to be obstructed. I might also suspect an out of battery condition, perhaps from a high primer. I would want to look at the rounds that didn't fire and the cases from rounds that did.
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 10:12:17 AM EDT
[#29]
I stopped reading when I saw RELOADS
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 10:14:24 AM EDT
[#30]
It was probably that plastic magpul BUIS....
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 10:19:49 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

reloads acquired from his brother-in-law

No need to guess; crap reloads caused it.

Sorry man.
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 10:21:40 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can you do a real close up of the projectile?

I seriously think there was a 55gr in the brass case, then another seated on top

I think the ring on the bullet is from the cleaning rod they used to push it out but i could be wrong. It's hard to see in the pic but it looks like there are pock marks on the case from unburnt powder in the chamber.  Maybe the reloader didn't crimp the rounds and didn't have sufficient neck tension causing one of the dud rounds to come apart, when it was chambered.  The next round got loaded on top, bullet pushed back into case (that's why the bullet in the pic looks like it was seated way too deep) and kaboom. Just a wild guess but I can't see anyway the bullet wouldn't have made it out of the barrel if there wasn't something blocking it. I don't think it fired OOB because it looks like the fireing pin made a good solid hit on the primer.

Link Posted: 3/26/2012 10:24:11 AM EDT
[#33]
It wasn't an obstruction, the reason the bullet was retreived was because the charge blew out the rear of the case. Path of least resistance. How many times were these cases full length resized?
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 10:32:05 AM EDT
[#34]
The bullet in the pic looks like it has rifling marks on it from where it went partially down the barrel and was stuck. The next rounds bullet disentegrated and the pressure blew the back of the case off and then blew up the gun.
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 10:37:32 AM EDT
[#35]
Looks like part of the case from a prior round causing the next round bullet to jam inside the barrel ??

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c121/exploder1/20120326_105709.jpg
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 10:48:33 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
It wasn't an obstruction, the reason the bullet was retreived was because the charge blew out the rear of the case. Path of least resistance. How many times were these cases full length resized?

I don't see how blowing out the case and the gun apart is the path of least resistance vs putting a bullet down an un obstructed barrel. I could be wrong but when ive seen posts about case head seperation the bullet is not still in the barrel.
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 10:52:58 AM EDT
[#37]
Looking at the pic of the case again, I'm suspecting a barrel obstruction from a prior FTF.  Maybe a squib load.  It sure looks like the case was pushed back so hard that the extractor caught the side of the case.  There was some serious pressure in that barrel and chamber.

Ouch.  Sorry man.  Too bad about the gun.  Glad everyone is all right.  It sure seems that nearly all the AR kaboom's result from poor quality reloads.
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 11:46:14 AM EDT
[#38]
threads like this keep me from getting a polymer lower
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 12:24:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't see how blowing out the case and the gun apart is the path of least resistance vs putting a bullet down an un obstructed barrel. I could be wrong but when ive seen posts about case head seperation the bullet is not still in the barrel.

that's why i asked how many time was it re-sized, that lower area starts to get weak (as well as the rest of it), that in combination with a crimped bullet... It still takes a lot of force to to push that bullet through rifling. In this case it looks like it took less pressure to rupture the case. that picture of the case doesn't look like a "regular" case head separation. I feel cases with incipient head separation that are still loaded and not pitched out would result in this type of failure being a possibility vs just ripping the head off.

Link Posted: 3/26/2012 12:37:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Ding Ding Ding. Clearly this guy doesn't like your buddy being married to his sister because it's obvious he's trying to kill him.

I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that the reason these reloads were "given" away is that the loader is probably thinking they've been loaded one time too many. Looks like a weak case rupture. Too many people out there think that just because you can load a 45ACP case 50 times that you can do the same with rifle brass.

Where was the bullet that was removed? Near the breech? Muzzle? Those little brass shavings at the muzzle end make me think that the previous case came apart, left part of the neck in the barrel, and when the next round was fired, kaboom.

Did you collect your fired brass? Find a case that came apart? I've seen it in shotgun casings that have been loaded 20 times. Instead of uncrimping, the whole end separates and goes down the bore - obviously not a real problem in a shotgun...

Find out if the BIL has taken out any new insurance policies....

Link Posted: 3/26/2012 12:42:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Before the kaboom round did you guys have mortor the prior rounds with light primer strikes to get them to eject?   If so, my bet is cases not being trimmed properly so the neck was forced into the rifling, then firing the rounds could have left brass in the throat until some rounds wouldn't seat all the way, causing what appeared to be light primer strikes because the bolt wasn't fully locked up.  Then this last round managed to feed all the way, but the brass in the throat from the previous firing captured the last round's bullet causing it to act as a barrel obstruction, then the pressure blew out the case head being the path of least resistance.

That would explain the brass rings visible chamber side, and the recovered bullet.
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 1:00:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Before the kaboom round did you guys have mortor the prior rounds with light primer strikes to get them to eject?   If so, my bet is cases not being trimmed properly so the neck was forced into the rifling, then firing the rounds could have left brass in the throat until some rounds wouldn't seat all the way, causing what appeared to be light primer strikes because the bolt wasn't fully locked up.  Then this last round managed to feed all the way, but the brass in the throat from the previous firing captured the last round's bullet causing it to act as a barrel obstruction, then the pressure blew out the case head being the path of least resistance.

That would explain the brass rings visible chamber side, and the recovered bullet.

I like your line of thinking here...
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 1:06:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Just curious any details on how he was reloading?
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 1:09:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 1:19:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
My guess would be that reloaded ammo.

yup

possible issues: (or combo of)
-brass used too many times
-over pressured reload
-primer not seated proper

regardless dont trust whoever reloaded it anymore
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 1:54:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
This is EXACTLY why I dont shoot reloaded ammo.

Had a nice S&W .38spcl explode in my hand...  It was the reloaders pistol.  The shrapnel almost caught one of my sons in the face.

people have used reloaded ammo for alot longer than anyone around here have been alive!

people probably will after were all dead and gone too.

There are guidelines to follow in reloading. Some think it's to complex  it's simple! though it does use up a persons time. I have a spare room just to load in. I don't like distractions when loading, preppin brass ect. Then again it's just me and the wife here so it makes it simple.

I simply DO NOT load for ANYONE or let anyone shoot my handloads unless I'm right there with them!  It might seem pricky to some but it's worked for me all these years

Besides most kabooms I've seen are FACTORY ammo or surpluss. At least I know who loaded mine! do you?

Link Posted: 3/26/2012 2:19:49 PM EDT
[#47]
It looks like part of a case was still in the chamber and the bolt wouldn't lock up all the way. I had my .22 conversion break off at the neck area of the chamber adapter. When I tried to chamber a empty but sized case it stopped just short of the BCG locking up. Not sure if it would fire like this but that's just my opinion.
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 2:20:11 PM EDT
[#48]
I've seen the aftermath of an under-charged round in a bolt gun, very similar result with the brass except that in the bolt gun the brass actually flowed. Undercharged rifle rounds act much differently than undercharged pistol rounds. The bullet might pop out and stick in the rifling , this causes a pressure seal and the gas takes the easiest route, usually the rear of the case near the head or where case support is minimal. The chamfering around the chamber probably got filled with the flowing brass and caused that weird-looking case rupture.

The unscathed projo tells me that it probably was not a squib, which could cause an overpressure problem. Other KB'ed ARs that fired out of battery or blew up because of an overcharge split the left side out of the upper usually don't they?

All of this leads me to conclude it was an undercharged case.
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 2:31:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Quoted:
* adds digital scale back to reloading wishlist.

AND a chronograph.

why would a reloader need either? I do have both, neither is needed to produce safe quality accurate handloads.

that was a case head failure. like 95% of the kabooms you'll see. we can all speculate on the failure

Link Posted: 3/26/2012 2:35:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Hot round.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top