Site Notices
7/28/2014 11:40:43 AM
ARCHIVED ARCHIVED
  Previous Page
Page:  / 4
Author
Posted: 2/26/2012 3:57:41 AM
A few years ago I bought a 14.5" LMT from a law enforcement friend of mine and just wanted to share a short review of my experiences with it so far.
First off let me say that I only bought this rifle because I got a killer deal on it. I had several ARs already and it was nothing special to me. The previous owner had shot ~3500-4000 rounds through it, 2500 of which he shot suppressed with a M4-1000. So I knew the gun was warmed up before I bought it. I decided to set it up identical to my issued rifle so that I could have something to train with in my off time that would become second nature operating when I was at my unit in the military. I wanted to see how far the rifle would go without cleaning it and figured since I got it so cheap I didn't care anyway so I painted it and went shooting.

(Specs: 14.5" LMT complete upper w/LMT BUIS, KAC rail, Surefire Scout M600, LaRue FUG, TROY Pro Grade Sling mount, and Magpul MOE.)

The rifle was the same as any AR that I have fired and I put close to 1100 rounds through it the first weekend. No cleaning, no problems...
I tried to put between 500-1000 rounds through it each month but sometimes couldn't do that because I was out of state or country. Long story short as of now, there is close to 9,500 rounds through this gun without cleaning and after taking it out again today and putting another 500 rounds through it, I have decided that my test is done. (Keep in mind the rifle was shot almost 4000 rounds and 2500 suppressed before I got to it)

I live in the desert of Nevada and have a good environment with dusty, sandy, dry conditions similar to what you would see over seas in the middle east or anywhere dry and hotter than hell.
When I train I like to get down and dirty, so it was fun knowing that I would get to see first hand how the rifle would truly stand up to abusive conditions and not just something I had read from some guy in a gun magazine who shot 50 rounds of Federal through an AR and says it's the greatest thing in the world.

Me

I did not clean this gun one time since I bought it and when I received it, the gun was dirty and had not been cleaned in some time. This morning before shooting I popped open the upper to lube up the BCG (as I do every time I shoot) and didn't realize how bad it was. I shoot most of my ARs for several thousand rounds before cleaning them and as I lubed up the BCG my buddy looked over and said, "Good god man, that thing is f***ing dirty"... His AR had not been clean in several thousand rounds as well so I knew it was going to be good. I really stopped and looked at it and we decided it was worth taking pictures. Here is one of the upper... It was much worse in real life than it looks in the pictures.

The following are some of the close ups I took of the parts that matter. I would like to stress that I never ever had a single weapon related malfunction with this rifle. It has more than exceeded my expectations and is fully functional of anything that I would ever need it for. I know how hard I ran this rifle and I made it a point to have it in the dirt as much as possible whenever I would go out shooting. I have shot this rifle in the rain, snow, mud, and desert sand with every type of ammo you could imagine (steel cased and brass) and I would trust my life to this gun without hesitation. Enjoy the pics. :)

Anyway, that’s pretty much it. 10,000 rounds without cleaning is nothing special from a quality milspec gun, but I am really happy with the gun and I'm sure that it could take another 10k rounds without cleaning. I do T&E for manufacturers and companies from time to time when I'm not busy, but it was nice to just do something for myself and have fun with it. The pictures do not do a justice to the absolute filthiness on the inside of the rifle. I have no affiliation with LMT but I now respect their product even more than I previously did. If you are looking for a reliable AR platform, I would recommend an LMT to anyone without hesitation and with total confidence. Take care and stay safe guys.

Draco223
FNG
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/26/2012 4:42:57 AM
1st...

and nice write up. I have a few of their offerings...

While the "machining"-lower receiver mainly, tool marks, blemishes, etc-(I could care less how pretty it looks as long as it works...none of my guns are safe queens) is not as good as some other high end manufacturers, I think they more than make up for it in the quality of the parts. Their customer service is top notch as well...
Blacktide
Dog of the State
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/26/2012 4:45:32 AM
LMT manufactuers a rock solid working gun. I have had very similar experience with mine, little cleaning and a lot of reliability.
hammet
dork
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/26/2012 4:50:28 AM
[Last Edit: 2/26/2012 4:50:48 AM by hammet]
Maybe its me, and I'm no expert, but I'd feel pretty uncomfortable with someone breaking down any rifle near me with ammo still in the mag.
KILLERB6
"The men with green eyes"
NRAMilitary
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/26/2012 4:51:10 AM
If your rifle had a number, we could call it "Filthy #"...and a new legend could be born.

Nice write up.
SECDEF Leon E. Panetta said Wednesday [02 FEB 12] that American forces would step back from a combat role there [Afghanistan] as early as mid-2013.

"Some day this war's gonna end..."
KILLERB6
"The men with green eyes"
NRAMilitary
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/26/2012 4:53:39 AM
Nice camo job, too...what was your technique if you don't mind my asking?
SECDEF Leon E. Panetta said Wednesday [02 FEB 12] that American forces would step back from a combat role there [Afghanistan] as early as mid-2013.

"Some day this war's gonna end..."
foursixty
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/26/2012 4:58:55 AM
Originally Posted By KILLERB6:
Nice camo job, too...what was your technique if you don't mind my asking?

I agree as well. Normally not a fan of such, but his looks pretty damn good.
ishoot2live
Stay in a Round Room You'll Never get Cornered
Instructor
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/26/2012 5:02:08 AM
Thanks for the post, OP.

III
shotdown
F*** it, We'll do it live
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/26/2012 5:05:24 AM
I posted this in our local forum as well:

I recommend LMT rifles to all my friends as well to the point that some people get annoyed. I own both a DI and a piston MRP. The DI has roughly over 7,000 rds through her mostly suppressed. The MRP has about 2-3K through her mostly suppessed as well. I trust them with my life. I wouldn't push a product I don't trust. One of my friends picked up his DI MRP yesterday because of my recommnedation and reviews like this.

Thanks for the review. Here's a couple of pics of my LMTs.

weaponoutfitters
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/26/2012 6:14:46 AM
Wow, I could not resist the urge to clean rifle after just a tenth of what you put that rifle through!

Looks good though, and thanks for the report!
roy@weaponoutfitters.com
(425) 610-7556
http://www.weaponoutfitters.com
https://www.facebook.com/weaponoutfitters
REDX
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/26/2012 6:50:16 AM
I love LMT stuff, right now my go to gun is a LMT based MK18 but with a Noveske barrel.
Jbclark84
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/26/2012 7:01:55 AM
Nice write up! That is a sweet looking rifle.
Garandboy
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/26/2012 7:27:18 AM
Nice write up. LMT does make some quality stuff.
Handy little carbine. The M44 is a combination flash bang grenade, flame thrower, rifle and spear all in one.
REM762
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/26/2012 7:33:15 AM
Gotta love an LMT! Nice rig.
FMJ
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/26/2012 7:37:28 AM
Nice!!

I like the camo job!

My Defender 2000 runs great . Zero problems. bought it sometime in 2005 thanks to AR3.

I also have a half breed, a Bushmaster/VLTOR Lower and a LMT M4 upper that I use as a spare.
And it hasnt had any problems.

And I do trust my carbines.

I do think if you keep the Carrier & Bolt wet it would run for a very long time.

YHVH
Aimless
The Original ®Angry Bird
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/26/2012 7:43:09 AM
[Last Edit: 2/26/2012 7:43:50 AM by Aimless]
I'm not convinced that not cleaning an AR and having it runs proves anything. Someone here ran 15,000 (i think)rounds of wolf thru a model one upper

I have a lmt upper I bought around 2004. Great upper.
John Willis OSOE http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_109/929579_John_Willis__OSOE.html
OlCrow
Sic Semper Tyrannis
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/26/2012 9:19:52 AM

Originally Posted By Aimless:
I'm not convinced that not cleaning an AR and having it runs proves anything. Someone here ran 15,000 (i think)rounds of wolf thru a model one upper

I agree with that, both points.

The first thing that I do after I get home from shooting is clean everything to like new clean.
- Proud Supporter - WOUNDED WARRIOR PROJECT

- Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here.
~ Captain Parker, April 19 1775
hellbound
Rocket Scientist
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/26/2012 9:39:17 AM
[Last Edit: 2/26/2012 9:40:20 AM by hellbound]
Originally Posted By hammet:
Maybe its me, and I'm no expert, but I'd feel pretty uncomfortable with someone breaking down any rifle near me with ammo still in the mag.

It's just you.

I hate safety nazi goofballs. I take pictures of my guns with loaded mags all the time. It adds contrast to an all black picture.

In the OP's photos it's a good point of reference - clean smooth brass and anodized aluminum in the magazine vs filthy upper/lower.

You can clearly see that the chamber is empty.

ETA: I just noticed you're from NY... Guilty as charged. Carolyn McCarthy has trained you well.
And I looked, and behold a pale horse and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell[bound] followed with him.
brasidas
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/26/2012 9:45:19 AM
In my experience, LMTs are unusually accurate.
TJRoush
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/26/2012 9:46:11 AM
Excellent write up and weapon.....now thats what I call a "KGR" or Known Good Rifle....well done sir.
cmcflex
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/26/2012 10:17:20 AM
[Last Edit: 2/26/2012 10:18:31 AM by cmcflex]
Originally Posted By Aimless:

I am convinced that nothing we see on this forum proves anything per se. But it is another data point offering some suggestive evidence. I for one take it for what it is but take it seriously.

Originally Posted By hellbound:
ETA: I just noticed you're from NY... Guilty as charged. Carolyn McCarthy has trained you well.

Cham1ber is a miserable douchebag.
IFBBjuicemonkey
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/26/2012 10:43:08 AM
[Last Edit: 2/26/2012 10:49:20 AM by IFBBjuicemonkey]
Originally Posted By hammet:

It is 99% more likely that the OP simply put a loaded mag into the lower after he popped the take down pins and took 'er apart, just for the sake of the picture, and with no BCG in the rifle, there is no way of it going off anyway. The crap people come up with to complain and comment about...

When I think LMT I think of a workhorse, no nonsense AR. Great pics OP, love to see AR's that see some serious use.
DvlDog
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/26/2012 11:17:15 AM
Originally Posted By brasidas:

I dont know if this is true but I recall hearing that LMT was having batches of barrels made by Rock Creek with a 5R button. This was back when I bought mine around 2005 or so. If someone knows the truth on this I'd love to hear it.
NissanGuy08
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/26/2012 11:19:31 AM
i love that camo job. krylon?
d90king
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/26/2012 11:22:10 AM

I haven't found them to be quite as accurate as my Noveske, but very accurate and reliable nonetheless. I have 4 LMT's (3 MRP's and MWS) and I have 2 LMT factory 10.5's paid for at my class 3 waiting on paperwork. So yes, I think you could say that I trust LMT.

10k is a little longer than I let mine go, but I have no doubt that they would run, and run well in adverse environments. I am planning a similar "project" for my piston MRP. I was thinking 20-25k rounds with just proper lube.
FMJ
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/26/2012 11:27:28 AM
Originally Posted By DvlDog:

I dont know if this is true but I recall hearing that LMT was having batches of barrels made by Rock Creek with a 5R button. This was back when I bought mine around 2005 or so. If someone knows the truth on this I'd love to hear it.

Ive got a Email from LMT that states they use 4140 for all gov contracts
YHVH
  Previous Page
Page:  / 4
ARCHIVED ARCHIVED