Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/14/2012 1:31:11 AM EDT
I have a RRA Tac Operator 2 (link below) and i have an eotech, fore end flashlight, front and rear buis, and grip pod gen 2 swivel bipod grip.  I havn't had much experience with rifles, but just holding this thing for 2 minutes makes my arms tired.  I havent' had a chance to weight it but it weighs a ton.  Is there an efficient way to lighten these things up from factory specs, or do i just need to get more physical with it and get used to it?

tactical operator 2
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 2:18:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Well the first thing to do is drop the grip pod. Use handstops for shooting and a dedicated bipod for when needed.

You could go all out and change the forearm, but I would consider first adding weight to your stock, I am assuming you are really front heavy, if you balance the rifle it will not seem as heavy
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 2:55:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Well the first thing to do is drop the grip pod. Use handstops for shooting and a dedicated bipod for when needed.

You could go all out and change the forearm, but I would consider first adding weight to your stock, I am assuming you are really front heavy, if you balance the rifle it will not seem as heavy

and how does one do that?
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 3:01:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 3:46:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

and how does one do that?

Match shooters use A2 stocks and put lead weight in there. I have never heard of anyone doing that with a defensive carbine, it seems like a pretty daffy idea.  

About the only obvious area for weight savings is changing that handguard.* Honestly if you are having trouble shooting that carbine for a short period of time I think physical fitness maybe more of an  issue than anything to do with the carbine, and I am certainly no Jack LaLane

*and ditching the grippod

Yeah, Ive done it by putting lead fishing weights into the battery compartments of stocks, you could also do it with some taped weights.  my point is if you throw some weight on there, get it balanced right and possibly you will see that the weight isn't a huge issue anymore when shouldered.  If this is the case then you could look into getting a heavier stock or a work-around in order to balance it better.  

This is something quick and dirty anyone can do to see if their problem is the weight or the balance, and for guys who buy complete rifles and don't have the tools to change their own hand guards (which I highly recommend having anyways) this is something they CAN do right now.

Id take a well balanced 8lb rifle over a front heavy 6lb rifle anyday.... then again I'd rather have a well balanced 6lb rifle
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 3:52:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 4:15:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Your rifle comes 8lbs stock.  I think most people have their rifles set up around 8lbs.  Best bet is to drop the grip pod or hit the gym.
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 4:26:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Its the barrel. Get a Gov't profile.....and start doing some PT.
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 4:57:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Starting with a base weight of 8lbs is quite a bit.  For me I have found that adding weight to the stock, while changing the balance for the better, did not help the gun feel any better to me, in fact it felt worse.  YMMV, but that's what I noticed.  I recently put my setup through a weight loss plan and trimmed over 22 ounces off of it, which is around the weight of an empty glock 17.  My setup was originally around 11lbs  and is now around 9lbs  and MUCH more flickable.  Hitting the gym like many people say can help, but no matter how strong you are and how much endurance you have, you will always be faster and have greater endurance with a lighter rifle.   I am a lean 275lbs and used to bodybuild pretty seriously with a ~600lbs bench...but running an 11+ pound rifle all day in a class STILL sucked.   A little bit of both; strengthening your body, especially endurance training, and working on lightening your rifle will both go a long way toward helping you be able to run your gun for long periods of time without too much of a struggle.
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 5:31:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Lose the flashlight, BUIS, and bipod.  Change to RRA light weight barrel.  Replace forearm with something like a YHM light weight.  Do that and your rifle is about as light weight as it's going to be.
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 5:34:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Get rid of the cast iron shit RRA uses for a handguard and get something much lighterweight.
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 5:42:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Send to ADCO and have the barrel turn to a LW
or buy a LW barrel
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 6:33:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have a RRA Tac Operator 2 (link below) and i have an eotech, fore end flashlight, front and rear buis, and grip pod gen 2 swivel bipod grip.  I havn't had much experience with rifles, but just holding this thing for 2 minutes makes my arms tired.  I havent' had a chance to weight it but it weighs a ton.  Is there an efficient way to lighten these things up from factory specs, or do i just need to get more physical with it and get used to it?

tactical operator 2

Unhang the tacticool accessories.
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 8:23:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Get rid of the stupid grip pod first. Then decide if you need the light and remove that or replace with a lighter unit. Is your rifle a ban version with a pinned brake? If so, I would just remove the barrel and sell it with that heavy ass RRA rail. Replace with a pencil or at least government profile barrel. If the brake isn't pinned. Remove the barrel and all the related parts. Send the barrel to ADCO to be re-profiled. Replace the rail with something light when you put the barrel back on.

I also prefer to shoot with a short stock. I feel bringing the weight back closer to me helps balance it better and feel lighter.
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 8:24:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

tactical operator 2

That is the cheapest and quickest way.  If it is too heavy, get rid of the grip pod and the flashlight.

If you want to get even lighter, you are going to get into the realm of changing handguards and barrels.
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 8:20:52 PM EDT
[#15]
ok, so any brands come to mind when you guys mention lightweight gov't barrels and lightweight quad rail?

would either of these replace my free float barrel and be lighter?

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_159/955134_For_Sale__First_Samco_AR15_Rifle_Quad_Rail_Handguard.html

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_159/960793_Troy_7_drop_in_railed_handguard.html

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_159/957353_Yankee_Hill_Machine_2_Piece_Tactical_Handguards___Mid_Length____70_shipped.html

losing the light is not an option, tacticool or not, its tactical.  The grip pod i like because with long guns, i'm really only comfortable with a front grip, I thought this would be the best of both worlds if i have to prop on the trunk of a car for 2 hours, or laying on the ground

(on a side note, the grippod its the gen2 which is really quite nice, the bipod cants and rotates and is built really well)
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 8:48:39 PM EDT
[#16]
I ended up dropping the free float aluminum anchor on my RRA Elite Comp. I'm no weakling but that sucker hurts when you drop it to transition to your sidearm. Ended up going to a two point sling just to save the boys from any additional trauma.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 4:23:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
ok, so any brands come to mind when you guys mention lightweight gov't barrels and lightweight quad rail?

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_159/955134_For_Sale__First_Samco_AR15_Rifle_Quad_Rail_Handguard.html

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_159/957353_Yankee_Hill_Machine_2_Piece_Tactical_Handguards___Mid_Length____70_shipped.html

losing the light is not an option, tacticool or not, its tactical.  The grip pod i like because with long guns, i'm really only comfortable with a front grip, I thought this would be the best of both worlds if i have to prop on the trunk of a car for 2 hours, or laying on the ground

(on a side note, the grippod its the gen2 which is really quite nice, the bipod cants and rotates and is built really well)

Daniel Defense

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 4:32:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Wilson Combat 16" Middy LW SS

Centurion Arms Quad Rail

Link Posted: 4/7/2012 11:50:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Daniel Defense M4 rail, hand stops from LaRue, then u'r good to go.

This is the exact set up I use on my Colts and RRA's.
Link Posted: 4/7/2012 1:49:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Get a sling.
Link Posted: 4/8/2012 4:16:06 AM EDT
[#21]
saliva2002,

I have the same gun as you. When I first got it a little over three weeks ago it seemed heavy. The more I mess with it the lighter it seems. I had a new UTG 7oz front grip waiting to install on it. You have to realize that all of those little ounces add up real quick!

An exercise you could do is adding extra weight to it like a baseball batter adding weight to his bat, so when he's up to bat the bat is lighter.

After I learn the iron sights I want to go with optics. I'm leaning towards an EoTech and magnifier, so there goes another, I think, 1 1/2 pounds. At that time I will consider to get a lighter rail to make up for the added weight.

BTW, last week I asked on the RRA sub forum in "industry" how much the barrel & hand guard weigh on the Tech Op2. I wanted to get an idea what to look for to drop pounds. I've yet to get a reply. I also said it would be nice if they listed the weight on their parts...or at least on heaver things like their barrels & rails.

Does anyone here know what the weight on the barrels & rails are?

LeapingGnome
Link Posted: 4/8/2012 5:43:26 AM EDT
[#22]
Their handguard and FSB on that rifle are paperweights, and all that sits on a HBAR. That rifle is pretty heavy from the factory. You can change the handguard to a modular tube and put a low profile gas block on, then you'll be good to go. I wouldn't dick with the barrel.
Link Posted: 4/8/2012 5:53:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

tactical operator 2

I agree.....I have recently striped everything off my rifle.....I liked the EOTech, but really like iron sights for their simplicity.

Link Posted: 4/8/2012 6:05:49 AM EDT
[#24]
If RRA is still using their ridiculous barrel profile where it's like an 1.5" under the HGs, that's where most of the weight is.

I don't know about their new rails but as was said their rails are generally heavy as hell.

The problem is that you bought a factory gun and now you're going to spend half the price on replacing parts and having the barrel reprofiled.

If I were you, I'd sell the RRA elite tactical operator high speed low drag buzzword deluxe "as-is" (or just the upper, keep the lower avoid FFL fees) and start building a lightweight rifle/upper from scratch. Even with the small loss you may take on selling it, you will save money in the end.
Link Posted: 4/8/2012 8:40:54 AM EDT
[#25]
There's two spreadsheets which have a wealth of information when you want to lighten your rifle:

Misc. AR Parts
Rails

I'm considering spending a couple hundred dollars to lighten my AR by a couple ounces. When you start chasing lightweight, it's very easy at first, and gradually becomes more and more expensive. The killers are your barrel and handguard. For quad rails, try a Spike's SAR, and for tubes, try a Troy Alpha. For barrels, profile matters more than length, so make sure to stick with a lightweight or even pencil profile barrel.
Link Posted: 4/8/2012 11:25:16 AM EDT
[#26]
All the above advice is good. ADCO barrel re-profile, handguard change, losing grip pod will make a big difference.

Another option is selling that complete upper on the EE and getting a complete LW 14.5" or 16" and your done.
Link Posted: 4/8/2012 12:04:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
All the above advice is good. ADCO barrel re-profile, handguard change, losing grip pod will make a big difference.

Another option is selling that complete upper on the EE and getting a complete LW 14.5" or 16" and your done.

You know, that probably is the best option. Just start from scratch rather than changing every component.
Link Posted: 4/8/2012 6:31:37 PM EDT
[#28]
I have the same rifle, and it's extremely accurate.  But like you, I want a lighter rifle.   I'm going to keep the original upper with a scope mounted to be my long range tack driver.  I'm about to order a new upper to be my HD, combat ready rifle.  I'm thinking this one...

PK Firearms

Category:    Rock River Arms Barreled Uppers
Rock River Arms Midlength A4 - Chrome Lined - Lightweight - 1/7 Twist Upper

The NEW Rock River Arms 16" Wilson lightweight, Govt. contour ( turned down under the handguards and in front of the sight tower ) chrome lined barrel with 5.56 NATO chamber. Available in 1/7 twist. Midlength handguards and steel front sight tower with bayonet lug. Flat top receiver.

Complete with bolt carrier assembly and forged charging handle.
Our Price: each $489.00
In Stock
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top