Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2012 6:31:34 PM EDT
Quick question - Have any of you ever HAD to use your forward assist?

I am curious how necessary they really are.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 6:42:59 PM EDT
[#1]
No.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 6:44:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Negative.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 6:46:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Not your fault, OP, but here we go again.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 6:47:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes I have used mine. I made several hunderd reloads way back when and I screwed up and put a very heavy crimp causing some cartridges not to chamber.

I found it to be easier to inspect the rest of the lot and repair my ammo.

I never needed the FA otherwise.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 6:54:28 PM EDT
[#5]
No.  But I use it every time I chamber a round out of instinct I guess.  Must be the USMC.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 6:55:06 PM EDT
[#6]
No - even being USMC we are taught to smack it but never did.

I dont want to force a round into battery that may be defective, rack the Charging handle and put another round in.

I realize its good for "sniper" situations where you need to check the chamber or have to lightly chamber a round.

I just dont see me being in any of those situation. I order all my uppers without the FA (Vltor MUR and DPMS Lo-Pro)
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 7:08:58 PM EDT
[#7]
I do not know why people keep bringing up this topic. I was in the military a while back and while I was serving, I shot a pretty good bit and I very occasionally had to use the forward assist. It was put there for a purpose and it works when you need it. Now that I am a civilian I rarely use it at all because I do not have the hands on time with the AR15 that I had with the M16 while I was in the military. If you shoot all the time and run rifle courses or hunt, you might want the forward assist as it could come in handy on occassion. If you just plink or throw lead at targets every once in a while you probaly will not miss the forward assist. Your call.
If you like the upper receiver w/o the forward assist, get it. If not, get a receiver with a forward assist and shoot away. It's really your choice.

I have two AR's in 6.8 and one has the forward assist and the other has the Voltor MUR w/o forward assist and I like them both very much but all my next AR's will have the forward assist from now on.I like the forward assist for security.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 7:11:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Not trying to start a shitstorm.  I've never used mine on any of my AR's and I'm going to build another one, and I like the looks of one w/o the FA.  Thanks for the replies.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 7:35:05 PM EDT
[#9]
If you ride the charging handle home, you may need the FA also. For example when deer hunting or sneaking up on a space alien.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 8:18:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Waste of aluminum if you ask me. The first thing you do with a malfunction is eject the round right?
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 8:20:12 PM EDT
[#11]
I use mine when putting a mag in and doing press check b4 and after drills. And i like the look of it with the FA.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 9:58:26 PM EDT
[#12]
I use mine when hunting and for chamber checks / press checks.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 10:01:51 PM EDT
[#13]
I use mine a lot.
I don't ever remember the bolt not going into battery,
but it is nice to be sure it is in battery.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 2:41:49 AM EDT
[#14]
just fyi for those who may not know... rainier arms just started making a nice upper without the FA

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=2940

Link Posted: 1/2/2012 2:55:08 AM EDT
[#15]
I use mine when hunting.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 3:00:23 AM EDT
[#16]
I use mine all the time. Not to pound deformed rounds in the chamber but the common sense use of it. Given the choice I won't own one without it. Personal preference. Do a search and you will find much reading on this never ending whiney debate.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 3:45:47 AM EDT
[#17]
It's nice for hunting.  A running vehicle doesn't spook critters, but letting the bolt slam home when you load up does.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 7:19:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
No.

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 7:19:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Yes.

For hunting.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 7:20:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
If you ride the charging handle home, you may need the FA also. For example when deer hunting or sneaking up on a space alien.

Don't laugh, the space alien spider rocks are watching you...
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 7:28:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I use mine when hunting.

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 7:35:23 AM EDT
[#22]
yes, I use it when I want to chamber a round quietly.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 7:55:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Yes, when I use to shoot Wooof ammo out of my 20" rifle.  After 400 or so rounds it would start gumming up and wouldn't chamber all the way.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:01:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Only when hunting, never had any other opportunity to use one.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:14:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Never use the fwd assist that the army stuck on there; use the one designed into the carrier all the time
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:32:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Never use the fwd assist that the army stuck on there; use the one designed into the carrier all the time

Details?
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:34:26 AM EDT
[#27]
No...seems like a bad idea to "CRAM" a round in if it will not load on it own normally...
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:44:39 AM EDT
[#28]
I guess forward assists are the new M4 feedramps, huh?

~Augee
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:47:06 AM EDT
[#29]
Yes, it is quieter, also at night you can feel the bolt close.
If you need to chamber a round in your house do you really want to take a chance on an AD however slight it may be?
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:55:47 AM EDT
[#30]
I had a mainspring get week on me in country. IF you put 30 in the mag and dropped the bolt from the bolt catch it would hang just enough to not completely close. Download to 28 and it was no problem. Tap the FA and it was in chamber and would run to the end of the mag without issue.

I prefer the FA now.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 9:34:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 10:06:06 AM EDT
[#32]
Every time I smacked the thing because a round did not chamber all the way it never worked.

For years since, I have practiced the correct immediate action drill of making sure the magazine is seated then cambering another round.

Still, I like the option of it being there.

I would like to build a pistol someday without one though.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 11:27:27 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Details?

push the carrier forward by pressing into the relief cut through the ejection port. If it takes more leverage than that, you risk jamming the rifle and are better off stripping out the round and trying the next.
..and no, you wont burn your finger.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 11:53:38 AM EDT
[#34]
Almost every time I've taken my AR to the range, I've dragged along one or more buddies who've never shot one before.  Each time I've given them brief instructions on how the rifle works, how to operate it, sight it, etc.

"And this thing is called the Forward Assist...we won't be using this today."
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 12:24:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quick question - Have any of you ever HAD to use your forward assist?

I am curious how necessary they really are.

I think of it as a spare tire....I haven't had to use it much, but it's very handy when you need it.
And I don't like to be without one.
A lot of people apparently are not fond of them.
That's OK too.
They must have AAA.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 12:30:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Almost every time I've taken my AR to the range, I've dragged along one or more buddies who've never shot one before.  Each time I've given them brief instructions on how the rifle works, how to operate it, sight it, etc.

"And this thing is called the Forward Assist...we won't be using this today."

And our reason for listening to you is?  

Eric Bana might say something similar about the safety.  

~Augee
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top