Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2011 3:00:37 PM EDT
This is the barrel rifling for the S&W M&P15 Sporter, what does the 5R mean? And what grain bullets are best for 1:8 rifling?
Link Posted: 12/14/2011 3:11:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
And what grain bullets are best for 1:8 rifling?

Everything.  Most versatile twist rate.
Link Posted: 12/14/2011 3:24:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
And what grain bullets are best for 1:8 rifling?

Everything.  Most versatile twist rate.

+1 why everyone debates 1/7 and 1/9 is beyond me
Link Posted: 12/14/2011 4:01:57 PM EDT
[#3]
5r is the type of rifeling. Its popular cause its the same type of twist the remington 700 sniper rifle is, but again those are custom barrels.
Link Posted: 12/14/2011 4:15:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
5r is the type of rifeling. Its popular cause its the same type of twist the remington 700 sniper rifle is, but again those are custom barrels.

Remington started doing that after the freedom group aquired T/C and their 5R tools.

It is a type of rifling that cuts into the jacket on a bullet a lot less.  Less deformation supposedly = more accuracy.  It makes sense to me.  I'm severely debating building my own upper to take advantage of this type of rifling.

––––––––––––––––Copypasta from T/C Below––––––––––––––––––––

Benefits of 5R: 5R rifling’s unique design provides benefits to the shooter by causing less bullet deformation. How? Because the edges of each land do not cut into and deform the bullet jacket. When the bullet jacket is less deformed, there will be less jacket fouling in the grooves. The results are better consistency of accuracy from shot to shot, greater bullet stability over multiple shots, and ultimately a rifle that’s easier to clean thoroughly.

Link Posted: 12/14/2011 4:46:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Mike Rock of Rock Creek Barrels makes 5R barrels also. He makes Denny's/GTS Operator barrels, of which I had one for my Recce. It was a great barrel that really liked Prvi 75gr.
Link Posted: 12/14/2011 4:54:53 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought a 5R 1/8 barrel from AR performance. I put 3 rounds of Silver Bear Soft Point into one hole at 50 yards whil trying to sight in for killing piggies.
Link Posted: 12/14/2011 5:43:04 PM EDT
[#7]
I got two Adams Arms 1/8 barrels. One middy and the other is a carbine. The 1/8 is great.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top