7/29/2014 4:02:36 PM
  Previous Page
Page:  / 2
Author
Sylvia's punkass husband
Posted: 7/3/2011 6:16:25 PM
[Last Edit: 7/3/2011 6:17:28 PM by pdg45acp]
Make sure you trim it.

I don't even know why I ever put one in this Colt, it never needed it, it always fit together nice and tight.

I've been trying to figure out what would cause the few oddball jams I've had on this gun over the last 15 years.

Today, when I cleaned it, I finally figured it out (at least I think I have).

Flippin' on the Angry Retard Attracting ElectroMagnet in Arfcom GD since before the turn of the century. - Now doing it on a Droid X
badazzar15
Spike's Tactical
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/3/2011 6:39:30 PM
I think it's a horrible idea to force the upper and lower receiver apart. I can't tell you how many accu wedges I've thrown in the trash!
Tom Miller (CEO)
company email: sales@spikestactical.com
my personal email: acreativebuilder@aol.com
phone: 407.928.2666 (ext. 105)
fax: 866-283-2215
storminnorman
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/3/2011 6:56:33 PM
Why would you put one in a tight gun???
pdg45acp
Sylvia's punkass husband
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/3/2011 7:05:39 PM
Originally Posted By storminnorman:

It was 15 years ago, now I'm wondering "what was I thinking?".

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Flippin' on the Angry Retard Attracting ElectroMagnet in Arfcom GD since before the turn of the century. - Now doing it on a Droid X
Ryegye
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/3/2011 7:53:43 PM
I never understood the need or want of an accuwedge.
Gatorhunt
Honesty is the first chapter in the book of wisdom
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/3/2011 8:16:23 PM
I've disposed of several from friends rifles that I worked on .... I've also pulled pieces of them out of FCG.
"....see in this world there's two kinds of people my friend ... those with loaded guns and those who dig ... you dig"
Dan_Gray
blue kung fu panda
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/3/2011 8:28:57 PM
I've never had one, and if I wanted to ensure a tight fit THAT bad, I'd tap the lower to run a screw against the tab on the upper. Like my MEGA billet lower has.
train, carry, fight.
If violence isn't the answer, you're not using enough
fuzzy03cls
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/3/2011 9:18:47 PM
They serve their purpose for some of us. To each their own, free county, if you use one & it makes you happy, so be it.

But yeah trimming it would be common sense I think....
JBnTX
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/3/2011 10:53:00 PM
Originally Posted By fuzzy03cls:

They serve their purpose for some of us.

What is that purpose?

Specop_007
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/3/2011 10:59:29 PM
If I needed a good fit that badly, and I have no idea whatsoever why I would, I'd call Les Bauer and order a "matched set" upper and lower.
What the fuck were you going to do? Laugh the last three guys to death, funnyman?!

Ammo at a gunfight is like bubblegum in grade school: If you havent brought enough for everyone, you're in trouble. - Kharn
rbrooks
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/3/2011 10:59:57 PM
I was checking out a brand new Bushy and a brand new M&P today, and it shocked me how sloppy they both were. Must be this is supposed to fix that?

Funny thing is, both of my Plum Crazy builds were solid as a rock... Go figure.
TCBA_Joe
2 Round Burst
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/3/2011 11:00:58 PM
[Last Edit: 7/3/2011 11:01:57 PM by TCBA_Joe]
I just don't get the reasoning behind introducing a piece of rubber into a rifle, especially that close to operating parts.
Please, call me Joe

There is definitely something perverse about two men who carry guns 24/7 being so happy that others are giving theirs up. -happycynic
sinlessorrow
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/3/2011 11:01:20 PM
Originally Posted By Specop_007:
If I needed a good fit that badly, and I have no idea whatsoever why I would, I'd call Les Bauer and order a "matched set" upper and lower.

if you want a fit that tight, the ar-15 platform isnt for you.
Dan_Gray
blue kung fu panda
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/3/2011 11:03:56 PM
Originally Posted By rbrooks:
I was checking out a brand new Bushy and a brand new M&P today, and it shocked me how sloppy they both were. Must be this is supposed to fix that?

Rock solid is not exactly a design feature of ARs. They were designed to be slightly sloppy. Plum crazy? well, lol
train, carry, fight.
Medicfrost
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/3/2011 11:14:41 PM

Plum Crazy lowers are only as solid as charcoal briquettes.
Dan_Gray
blue kung fu panda
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/3/2011 11:20:29 PM
Originally Posted By Medicfrost:

Plum Crazy lowers are only as solid as charcoal briquettes.

Friend of mine was trying to get me to buy one. I told him to let me run it in a class and if it survived, I'd give him $400 for it. He got really sheepish and backed down all of a sudden.
train, carry, fight.
rbrooks
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/3/2011 11:24:06 PM
I'm on my third with no issues other than the fact that it looks wonky being plastic. And the fit was tight. IDK what to say other than that.
Dan_Gray
blue kung fu panda
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/3/2011 11:25:24 PM
I'm on my third with no issues other than the fact that it looks wonky being plastic. And the fit was tight. IDK what to say other than that.

Run it hard. Accidently pull the rear pin to clean it without supporting the upper. but not if you wanna keep it.
train, carry, fight.
MTNShewter
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/4/2011 1:07:22 AM
[Last Edit: 7/4/2011 1:14:23 AM by MTNShewter]
Here's my .02

I know people have their reasons to say it isn't needed or not recommended but this is just why I justify having it there.

First off, I don't run my gun hard. I just like get on target and get rounds off, and considering most of what I use to get on target (stock and grip), it's better that the top end moves as closely to my adjustment as the bottom half of the gun. If anyone has any reason I shouldn't feel this way about shooting just lemme know

Don't get me wrong though. When I take a carbine class, that sucker aint in there.

Oh and if you're gonna use it, don't just throw it in there. make sure it's snug and doesn't even come close to inhibiting movement of the BCM.
It should be inspected and trusted just like any other piece of equipment installed in your rifle.
CrazyWhiteGuy
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/4/2011 1:12:07 AM
[Last Edit: 7/4/2011 1:12:23 AM by CrazyWhiteGuy]
Originally Posted By pdg45acp:
Originally Posted By storminnorman:

It was 15 years ago, now I'm wondering "what was I thinking?".

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

You were prolly thinking the same thing as everyone else that bought them when they came out "this is the most revolutionary piece of technology to come out for the ar15, and so inexpensive to boot"

My dad put them in all three of his ARs when they came out, he was big into bolt guns and "less wiggle equals more accurate"

He has since ditched them.
R.I.P - SSG David H Gutierrez 25/12/2009 OEF 9-11
R.I.P - SPC Kyle J Wright 13/01/2010 OEF 9-11
R.I.P - PFC Jonathan C Yanney 18/08/2009 OEF 9-11
Harv24
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/4/2011 10:10:04 AM
I put those who run a Accu-wedge in there AR's into a "Special" category....
gee223
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/4/2011 10:36:47 AM
[Last Edit: 7/4/2011 10:41:17 AM by gee223]

That is funny, you built TWO plum crazy rifles!

Seriously, I use an oring on the front lug. My receivers fit pretty well as is, but it's such simple thing why not. I do like how they almost feel like one piece now. I tried an accuwedge once, they are crap.
Thefryzone
Live Free Or Die!
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/4/2011 10:51:47 AM
Originally Posted By TCBA_Joe:
I just don't get the reasoning behind introducing a piece of rubber into a rifle, especially that close to operating parts.

You don't get the reasoning behind introducing a piece of rubber into a rifle, especially that close to operating parts. Ask BCM they put an O'ring around the extractor spring.
Long Live The Second Amendment.
TCBA_Joe
2 Round Burst
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/4/2011 11:11:04 AM
Originally Posted By Thefryzone:

You don't get the reasoning behind introducing a piece of rubber into a rifle, especially that close to operating parts. Ask BCM they put an O'ring around the extractor spring.

I have those on my rifles as well. I'd consider that an operating part. It's a whole different level than a piece of rubber that lies directly behind the trigger group and below the bolt carrier operating path that does nothing but push the upper and lower apart for essentially cosmetic reasons.
Please, call me Joe

There is definitely something perverse about two men who carry guns 24/7 being so happy that others are giving theirs up. -happycynic
htex1004
Newbie and learning
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/4/2011 11:19:46 AM
I understood the concept of trying to take out the play but you're also trying to add misalignment now between the BCG and buffer tube. Never seemed like a great idea.

My rifles that I wanted to have tight fit have match billet upper lower. First couple times I had to tap them together just about.

My carbines are pretty tight but I don't care if they wiggle a little.
Thefryzone
Live Free Or Die!
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/4/2011 11:58:37 AM
[Last Edit: 7/4/2011 12:06:30 PM by Thefryzone]
Originally Posted By Thefryzone:

I have those on my rifles as well. I'd consider that an operating part. It's a whole different level than a piece of rubber that lies directly behind the trigger group and below the bolt carrier operating path that does nothing but push the upper and lower apart for essentially cosmetic reasons.

Are you a politician, I understand, Otherwise you a just full of it. To state that it's bad to put rubber near an operating part but it is ok to use rubber on an operating part is a complete oxymoron

ETA: Cosmetically speaking. It would only make sense to close the gap.
Long Live The Second Amendment.
  Previous Page
Page:  / 2