Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 1181
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 4:34:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Well more parts got ordered today. Ordered the Badger Ordnance MK12 GB and Colt rifle length gas tube from Brownells, and the long collar, AEMB, and thread protector from Adco. Need to slow down lol this is already getting expensive. Only main stuff left is AEM5 and glass. Eventually I’ll swap the Aero and Anderson receivers out. In the interest of putting money towards the big purchases for this, I’m gonna run a NiB Aim BCG. Don’t beat me too bad lol
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 4:51:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mister_Donut] [#2]
Finally got a Mark 4 to replace the VX-R Patrol I was running on my rifle:

I know, it's not the clone correct Mark 4 either, but I wanted something in first focal plane and I'm going to see if I can get the turrets converted to mils:

Link Posted: 2/19/2018 4:56:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 5:01:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Deadsquiggles:
What’s up with your barrel? Just asking. 20” with Ops contour?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
He's up in Canuckistan, that's a 20". We've been twisting his arm to get an 18" Ops spun up since I think that's one of those really nice Colt HBARs.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 5:21:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By lancecriminal86:

He's up in Canuckistan, that's a 20". We've been twisting his arm to get an 18" Ops spun up since I think that's one of those really nice Colt HBARs.
View Quote
Oh ok makes sense. I’m not that educated on Canadian gun laws.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 5:32:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jmorrow1983] [#6]
Long time lurker, looking to pick up a used Mk12 Mod 0 clone(ish) from a local shop.
Here's the thing...I'm not a huge fan of the optic included, which is (from what I can discern) a Leupold MK 4 3.5-10 LR/T M3 (mildot, illuminated, 1 click = 1 min, m3 turrets).

Since this collective group is considerably more knowledgeable than myself on this historic rifle, can someone let me know if a) this optic would sell quickly on EE and b) the estimated value, assuming the optic is in good condition? What about the ARMS 22 Rings?

Thank you in advance for any insight y'all can provide.

EDIT -- Looks like a similar scope sold on EE last month for $825, still open to any feedback/insight anyone can provide. Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 5:48:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By jmorrow1983:
Long time lurker, looking to pick up a used Mk12 Mod 0 clone(ish) from a local shop.
Here's the thing...I'm not a huge fan of the optic included, which is (from what I can discern) a Leupold MK 4 3.5-10 LR/T M3 (mildot, illuminated, 1 click = 1 min, m3 turrets).

Since this collective group is considerably more knowledgeable than myself on this historic rifle, can someone let me know if a) this optic would sell quickly on EE and b) the estimated value, assuming the optic is in good condition? What about the ARMS 22 Rings?

EDIT -- Looks like a similar scope sold on EE last month for $825, still open to any feedback/insight anyone can provide. Thanks.
View Quote
You won't have any problems selling the scope/rings on the EE.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 5:51:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Engineer5:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Engineer5:
Originally Posted By jmorrow1983:

Awesome, thanks!
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 6:29:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TinyCrumb] [#9]
Originally Posted By BurtSaun1049:

If it's a clone, period, it's a long collar. The short collars were made as a concession due to some non-spec Mod 0s bottoming out against the FSB without being against the step in the bbl. This leaves a gap though and once you see a short collar on a Mod 1 or Mod 0, you cannot unsee it, and it will drove you nuts.
View Quote
To provide some further context on this, the confusion is largely coming from ADCO's website where they list the long collar as correct for a Mod 0 and short collar as correct for a Mod 1 (as previously pointed out).

Nobody knows why they did this but it's wrong.

Towards the end of the Ops 12th manufacturing (of actual Ops manufactured cans) as far as we know all production was shifted from the long collar to the short collar (for the reason BurtSaun mentioned in the quote).

It's the same idea as DD opening up the gas ports on their commercial uppers. Long collars worked for the military with a set of fixed barrels all manufactured the same way with the same tolerances. Try to sell that same part on the civilian market where everyone's using the latest wonder-barrel that was made with different specs, and you have problems. Shorten up the collar, the problems go away.

So there was this whole period in time where the only collar you could actually order & buy was the short collar. This was after military Mk 12 production stopped so every Mk 12 in the military already had a long collar on it (which was fine because they also used properly manufactured barrels on the Mod 0s / SPRs). And then Ops Inc went out of business and along with it the chance to have proper long collars manufactured again. (que up companies like Badger trying to help with this)

During this period of time, cloning started picking up and you had places like High Caliber Sales making clones and selling them as "Accurate Mk 12" clones even though they were largely substituting correct parts for modern, currently manufactured parts. As cloning continued throughout the years, people got more and more anal about details (and more and more information became available) and so things like NLS #22 rings, collar length, etc… started to be paid attention to.

Then Allen Engineering pops up with a new FFL and starts making Ops cans again. The community, now much more detailed in cloning, made requests for things like long collars and knurling on cans and he happily obliged. ADCO has stock of both the long and shorts and tried to differentiate the two on their website and sees a ton of Mod 1 clones out there with short collars and so that's how they organize them on the website. This is all just an educated guess but it's likely.

The point being, it's really nice that we actually have long collars available right now. That wasn't always the case which is why there are so many short collars and clones with short collars out there. But the long collar is the only correct collar for any Mk 12 clone and the only reason you'd ever want a short one is to deal with a messed up barrel on a Mod 0/SPR as BurtSaun said.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 6:44:49 PM EDT
[#10]
[
View All Quotes
Oh ok makes sense. I’m not that educated on Canadian gun laws.
Lol, yes, it's a 20" Colt HBAR and it shoots great so I was hesitant to chop it down to 18”.  
I would also have no idea what to do with the Colt barrel if I did end up getting the correct Ops/Douglas barrel.  I already have two other 20” ARs so I figured I’d just leave it and hope nobody would notice, lol!
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 6:50:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TinyCrumb] [#11]
Originally Posted By Mister_Donut:
Lol, yes, it's a 20" Colt HBAR and it shoots great so I was hesitant to chop it down to 18”.  
I would also have no idea what to do with the Colt barrel if I did end up getting the correct Ops/Douglas barrel.  I already have two other 20” ARs so I figured I’d just leave it and hope nobody would notice, lol!
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 7:44:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dafro] [#12]
How long is the long collar? I bought this from brownells (https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/muzzle-devices/compensators-amp-muzzle-brakes/ar-15-12th-model-muzzle-brake-kit-22-caliber-prod55418.aspx) and assumed it was correct. Pictures make it look short though.

Edit: I measured it (the collar) and it is 1". That is the short?

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 8:30:02 PM EDT
[#13]
this is the one to buy - long collar , also far cheaper.

long collar brake kit
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 9:17:23 PM EDT
[#14]
How hard is it to swap the collars?
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 9:28:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By pinmaster:
How hard is it to swap the collars?
View Quote
an inconvenience to remove the brake more than anything.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 10:01:48 PM EDT
[#16]
So I couldn’t find it anywhere that said it specifically, so I guess I’ll ask. What optic would be most correct for a Navy Mod 1? Also, are there any other parts for the Mod 1 that were  seen on Navy rifles?
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 10:13:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Great_Balls_of_Fire:

PS get a knurled AEM5 suppressor.
View Quote
My Aem5 is currently on month 5 of a 12 month NFA jail sentence and when I went to visit it, I realized that It wasn’t knurled. Am I SOL?
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 10:13:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Engineer5] [#18]
Originally Posted By rbgonoles:

My Aem5 is currently on month 5 of a 12 month NFA jail sentence and when I went to visit it, I realized that It wasn’t knurled. Am I SOL?
View Quote
Yup.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 10:56:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By dafro:
How long is the long collar? I bought this from brownells (https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/muzzle-devices/compensators-amp-muzzle-brakes/ar-15-12th-model-muzzle-brake-kit-22-caliber-prod55418.aspx) and assumed it was correct. Pictures make it look short though.

Edit: I measured it (the collar) and it is 1". That is the short?

Thanks
View Quote
Short... long collar is noticeably longer, and measures 1.25" (Actually, 1.27 on my Brown&Sharpe).  I'm building up a Mod H now, and just ordered another kit from Operation Parts which specifies it includes the long collar - http://www.operationparts.com/allen-engineering-mk12-mod-1-threaded-muzzle-brake-and-collar-5-56-22-cal/

Link Posted: 2/19/2018 11:05:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By rbgonoles:

My Aem5 is currently on month 5 of a 12 month NFA jail sentence and when I went to visit it, I realized that It wasn't knurled. Am I SOL?
View Quote
I wouldn't sweat it to be honest - knurled AE5's weren't readily available for a long time - there are plenty of guys running the non-knurled here.  Unless your dealer has one and will let you swap - not sure if that's even possible paperwork-wise, though.  But I wouldn't bother since you are already in wait period.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 11:14:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Here is a mk12 supposedly in service somebody on the Facebook group posted up. Pic came from somebody deployed. I'm thinking of cloning this. Not sure if I'll hack up my current mod 1, maybe a second mod 1?

Link Posted: 2/20/2018 2:12:30 AM EDT
[#22]
So I couldn’t find it anywhere that said it specifically, so I guess I’ll ask. What optic would be most correct for a Navy Mod 1? Also, are there any other parts for the Mod 1 that were  seen on Navy rifles?
View Quote
In the SEALs museum, they have a TS30A2 with their MOD1 on display, so I'd assume that.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 3:14:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WTFShane] [#23]
Originally Posted By aaron580:
Here is a mk12 supposedly in service somebody on the Facebook group posted up. Pic came from somebody deployed. I'm thinking of cloning this. Not sure if I'll hack up my current mod 1, maybe a second mod 1?

https://i.imgur.com/fpdSirt.jpg
View Quote
Interesting... M4 lower? Woodland MARPAT (on the left)?
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 5:46:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Deadsquiggles] [#24]
Originally Posted By bachn2324:

In the SEALs museum, they have a TS30A2 with their MOD1 on display, so I'd assume that.
View Quote
Ah ok. And the 3.5-10 was never seen on Mod 1s? Cause if it was seen, that'd be awesome. I love the 3.5-10 range.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 8:04:03 AM EDT
[#25]

Ah ok. And the 3.5-10 was never seen on Mod 1s? Cause if it was seen, that'd be awesome. I love the 3.5-10 range.
View Quote
Or nightforce 2.5-10x24. In my mind, that's the most navy of the optics, even though the army used some of them as well
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 8:37:13 AM EDT
[#26]

Or nightforce 2.5-10x24. In my mind, that's the most navy of the optics, even though the army used some of them as well
View Quote
Ok sweet so I need either the 2.5-8 Leupy or the NF 2.5-10. I know the 24 is really hard to find so the 32 or the 40 are acceptable alternatives?
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 8:40:24 AM EDT
[#27]

View Quote
If you want an NSW Mod1 clone, go with the NF 2.5-10x24mm.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 9:19:40 AM EDT
[#28]

Ok sweet so I need either the 2.5-8 Leupy or the NF 2.5-10. I know the 24 is really hard to find so the 32 or the 40 are acceptable alternatives?
View Quote
The x24s are still out there pretty regularly, you're just going to pay full price on them. Lots of guys using the 32, an acceptable alternative. Though I'd just not even think about another optic and go for the x24 NF, in low light it sucks, but otherwise it's fantastic. Hell, I did ONE click of adjustment on my mod 1 to right it in at 100 yards, total fluke thing but made me a believer in that optic
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 9:33:52 AM EDT
[#29]

The x24s are still out there pretty regularly, you're just going to pay full price on them. Lots of guys using the 32, an acceptable alternative. Though I'd just not even think about another optic and go for the x24 NF, in low light it sucks, but otherwise it's fantastic. Hell, I did ONE click of adjustment on my mod 1 to right it in at 100 yards, total fluke thing but made me a believer in that optic
View Quote
Yeah I've noticed that people are quite proud of their used x24s but the x32s and x42s are hundreds cheaper.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 10:47:12 AM EDT
[#30]

Yeah I've noticed that people are quite proud of their used x24s but the x32s and x42s are hundreds cheaper.
View Quote
I've used all 3. The x24 is cool and looks badass on a rifle but the x32 and x42 are far more forgiving and enjoyable to be behind. I have the x42 on my recce now and wouldn't go back to the others.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 11:44:26 AM EDT
[#31]
View All Quotes

Tangentially, we've been seeing more "Recce" rifles lately wearing x32 NFs, from same time frame Mod 1s were around. I'd say the past claims that 2.5-10x32s were used on Mod 1s have enough circumstantial evidence at this point to not sweat running one. We might never see a pic of one, or it might still be a few more years until one of those gentlemen decides to post one on Instagram.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 11:54:33 AM EDT
[#32]

Tangentially, we've been seeing more "Recce" rifles lately wearing x32 NFs, from same time frame Mod 1s were around. I'd say the past claims that 2.5-10x32s were used on Mod 1s have enough circumstantial evidence at this point to not sweat running one. We might never see a pic of one, or it might still be a few more years until one of those gentlemen decides to post one on Instagram.
View Quote
I've not seen these pics, got any examples?
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 12:07:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 1:35:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Outrider] [#34]
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 1:44:19 PM EDT
[#35]

View Quote
Yeah ive never seen one as much as they are claimed to be used.  Not that i doubt anyone but it seems like the closest reasoning was that the mk17 had them equipped and someone took one off them and placed it on a mk12.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 1:44:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pinmaster] [#36]
I am on the hunt for the "correct" ARMS 22 Rings. The ones issued were High no-stop, correct? I have a set of 22's on my M1A that are NS, but can anyone tell if they are highs or medium? Are using med's a clone sin?

Link Posted: 2/20/2018 1:55:36 PM EDT
[#37]
I am on the hunt for the "correct" ARMS 22 Rings. The ones issued were High no-stop, correct? I have a set of 22's on my M1A that are NS, but can anyone tell if they are highs or medium? Are using med's a clone sin?

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3598/3772377132_4562ae3a0f_b.jpg
View Quote
No Hump/No Lever stop are correct - but hard to find, so you are ahead of the game :).

It depends - are you building a Mod 0 or Mod H - then you will need the Med Rings anyway.  If building a Mod 1 - High rings are used, but you could instead add an ARMS #36 sleeve (riser) and then use your Med's there as well.  Or source a set of High's - they pop up on the EE from time to time.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 2:20:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Hey guys, need some help here.  Besides the turrent knobs, what makes the 112633 the scope besides the TMR?  I have a line on a 2.5-8x36 but with incorrect knobs but has TMR reticle.  Also is it hard to get the correct knobs for it?  I have a 112633 but an looking to build a Mod H with one and dont wanna take it off my mk12
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 2:58:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Is there an NSN number for the MK12 Mod 1 upper only?
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 3:36:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By chenault:

I've been meaning to talk to you about that.  I called Ace a couple weeks ago, I think after our last convo about this, and got two COMPLETELY different answers.  The more competent sounding person said it was a gen 1, the more aloof person actually said she thought it was their gen 2 and if I'd give her my email she would check for sure.  Since then nothing.

Was there a person you remember talking to that really knew their stuff?  As soon as I get a firm answer Ill change it, but not until.  That's just responsible.

I'm not doubting anyone, facts are facts, just confirming which is what I do at my job when doing research.
View Quote
...so no follow-up on my reply to this?
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 4:01:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By 78Staff:

No Hump/No Lever stop are correct - but hard to find, so you are ahead of the game :).

It depends - are you building a Mod 0 or Mod H - then you will need the Med Rings anyway.  If building a Mod 1 - High rings are used, but you could instead add an ARMS #36 sleeve (riser) and then use your Med's there as well.  Or source a set of High's - they pop up on the EE from time to time.
View Quote
Thanks
I have a Mod1 and it has the later #22Highs on it now... I would like to replace them with a set that are "more correct".
So my Med's would would work with the #36? That may be the easier route it looks like #22H's are hard to come by and are costly when found. Unless I find a set of #22H's then sell my med rings to someone working on a mod0 or H to offset the cost of the #22H's.

Were any of the Mod1's issued with the leftovers from the Mod0's with the addition of the riser. If not,  will just find a set of NS #22H.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 5:44:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: chenault] [#42]
Originally Posted By mrsaturn7085:

...so no follow-up on my reply to this?
View Quote
I'm not sure what you were wanting, but I understood your comments and got to work supporting them.

Yes I got some information this morning after getting a callback and it does look like that the Holland stock  is the 3rd gen.  Basically from what the person told me they made the changes Hoping to improve the design but it didn't which is why they went to this most recent design.  I guess they had a lot of problems with broken buffer tubes which doesn't surprise me having one.  I'll update pg 1 tonight when I get home and am not typing on a phone.

Feel free to IM me in the future if you think I'm ignoring you or not handling the page correctly.  Always open to criticism.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 9:04:31 PM EDT
[#43]

Thanks
I have a Mod1 and it has the later #22Highs on it now... I would like to replace them with a set that are "more correct".
So my Med's would would work with the #36? That may be the easier route it looks like #22H's are hard to come by and are costly when found. Unless I find a set of #22H's then sell my med rings to someone working on a mod0 or H to offset the cost of the #22H's.

Were any of the Mod1's issued with the leftovers from the Mod0's with the addition of the riser. If not,  will just find a set of NS #22H.
View Quote
Here's a pretty famous Mod 1 with the extended riser... :)  There is also a shorter version, but I'm struggling to find an ITW pic - but it's on the ARMs website.

Link Posted: 2/20/2018 9:50:16 PM EDT
[#44]

Here's a pretty famous Mod 1 with the extended riser... :)  There is also a shorter version, but I'm struggling to find an ITW pic - but it's on the ARMs website.

https://i.imgur.com/H02qyHA.jpg
View Quote
Thanks for digging that up... The riser looks pretty badass to me.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 10:33:45 PM EDT
[#45]

Thanks for digging that up... The riser looks pretty badass to me.
View Quote
Kinda wish I'd have kept mine, especially after going with the big NF.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 12:55:39 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By RTUtah:

View Quote
Oh man don't say that, how big of a NF?  I'm putting a 3.5-15x50 on mine, and moving the 2.5-10x24 to the Mod H/recce rail setup.

I am using a Badger UniMount on the Mod1 though, so I am thinking it will work ok with the 3.5-15
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 8:20:55 AM EDT
[#47]

Oh man don't say that, how big of a NF?  I'm putting a 3.5-15x50 on mine, and moving the 2.5-10x24 to the Mod H/recce rail setup.

I am using a Badger UniMount on the Mod1 though, so I am thinking it will work ok with the 3.5-15
View Quote
The Unimount is the ideal setup since there's less parts stuck together; you'll love it with that scope. I just went back to that exact mount with the 3.5-15x NF. I just like the look of the top-rail and lower rings.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 10:59:13 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By RTUtah:

View Quote
I wish that you had sold it to me lol It looks like the #36s-ex 5.56 is just as hard to find as the 22H NS rings.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 1:21:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Deadsquiggles] [#49]
Is the same KAC 600M sight for the Mod 1 the same one that was occasionally seen on the M16A4s?
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 1:30:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bachn2324] [#50]
Is the same KAC 600M sight for the Mod 1 the same one that was occasionally seen on the M164s?
View Quote
Don’t think so. The BUIS on Mod 1s should have the bigger profile. You’ll see two versions of it when you look it up. The USMC one has a smaller profile and isn’t clone correct I think. I can’t post pictures but included a link comparing the two versions. The left side one is the one you want.

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?103186-KAC-buis-micro-or-standard-rear

It’s a thread but the pictures are close to the top of it.
Page / 1181
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top