Site Notices
Page / 1178
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 2:28:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Appreciated! Email sent

Pic thread
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 3:10:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I got the MOD 0/1 manual in hand today. As I was thumbing through it I noticed the only scope in it is the 3-9 and it looks like the one in the picture a few posts back that is a TS30A2 but in 3-9 illuminated. Anyway. I'll get this to the printer and find out how long it will take and I'll start a list for that one. If the labels are not done today I'm mailing the mod 1 manuals out anyway and I'll get the labels out when they are done.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 3:17:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Samson-Dogg:
I got the MOD 0/1 manual in hand today. As I was thumbing through it I noticed the only scope in it is the 3-9 and it looks like the one in the picture a few posts back that is a TS30A2 but in 3-9 illuminated. Anyway. I'll get this to the printer and find out how long it will take and I'll start a list for that one. If the labels are not done today I'm mailing the mod 1 manuals out anyway and I'll get the labels out when they are done.
View Quote

cool bro put me on the list for mod1/0
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 4:10:35 PM EDT
[#4]
View Quote

I'll take a 0/1 manual also.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 4:36:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By ShaneWang:
I'll let you touch it 
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ShaneWang:
Originally Posted By RTUtah:

Mate.
I'll let you touch it 

Link Posted: 1/25/2017 5:27:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Put me down for a Mod 0/1 manual please :)
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 5:28:19 PM EDT
[#7]
View Quote

count me in on one for sure
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 5:39:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Anyone using the A5 buffer system on their MK12?
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 6:13:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Gotta ask a question again. Im full on mk12 clone disease now. My AEM 5 is on order from capital armory and my HCS Mod 1 upper is on the way. I was reading try to dig through old threads and there was some mention of suppressors not getting enough turns to properly secure on brakes due to out of spec collars. Is that a MOD 0 specific problem or something that I could run into on my HCS MOD 1 upper?
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 6:13:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Dobs013:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Dobs013:

+1
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 6:54:33 PM EDT
[#11]
I would like a mod 0/1 manual as well!
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 7:02:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zakk101abn] [#12]
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 7:11:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By AKDoc:
Gotta ask a question again. Im full on mk12 clone disease now. My AEM 5 is on order from capital armory and my HCS Mod 1 upper is on the way. I was reading try to dig through old threads and there was some mention of suppressors not getting enough turns to properly secure on brakes due to out of spec collars. Is that a MOD 0 specific problem or something that I could run into on my HCS MOD 1 upper?
View Quote

Doubtful. I have four ops / ae cans and have never had an issue. All of my cans get 7-9 twists and have never come loose (even in auto). I have a small endcap strike in my 16th model but I'm pretty sure it's from a ceiner kit / 22lr

The issue starts when you stack tolerances.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 7:23:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By KavonTN:

Doubtful. I have four ops / ae cans and have never had an issue. All of my cans get 7-9 twists and have never come loose (even in auto). I have a small endcap strike in my 16th model but I'm pretty sure it's from a ceiner kit / 22lr

View All Quotes

It is a mod 0 issue...the latest generation PRI front sights are longer than the wheeled flip soghts...therefore pushing the collar forward.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 7:40:35 PM EDT
[#15]
View Quote

I am wondering that too.  I have a douglas MK 12 barrel for a Mod1.  Do I need the short collar or the long collar?
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 7:41:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By gunnut003:

It is a mod 0 issue...the latest generation PRI front sights are longer than the wheeled flip soghts...therefore pushing the collar forward.
View Quote

My wheeled sight base is 1.85" long.  Anyone feel like measuring their later sights?  I've eyeballed various date of manufacture non-wheeled sights up against this wheeled and they've all appeared to be the same length, but I don't have a modern sight here at this temp housing to put a set of calipers on.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 7:55:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Samson-Dogg] [#17]
Originally Posted By ArpaioFan:

I am wondering that too.  I have a douglas MK 12 barrel for a Mod1.  Do I need the short collar or the long collar?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ArpaioFan:

The LONG collar is the ONLY correct collar on any MK12. I think the first page should have this added. This question is asked very often and there is a lot of misinformation out there even by parts retailers. I believe even Adco's website has the short collar listed as a mod 1 collar. When I was a fledgling mk12 cloner tadpole I read that first page hundreds of times. Wrote it down. Memorized it. It couldn't hurt to update it a bit.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 8:02:55 PM EDT
[#18]

View All Quotes

The front sight isnt the halal answer to this issue some had because it also pertains to the mod 1.  The original SPR/MK12 program at crane had a different spec for the step placement then what is now the updated spec that Ron has on his website.  The original barrels only got 2-3 turns to lock up, this was done for quicker installation according to Ron.  The preferred amount of turns for function and longevity of the can is 7-10 turns to seat the brake in the optimal position, this was achieved by moving the step placement slightly further back.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 8:03:27 PM EDT
[#19]
One more day, then I can go home touch my trade in upper 
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 8:03:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: chenault] [#20]
View Quote

It's possible, my HCS barrel (mod 1) only got 2 turns until I added a shim behind the crush washer now I get 4ish.  I got mine from HCS a long time ago though so I don't know it anything has changed.  Adding a shim wasn't a big deal though.

The issue had to do with where the step was not the front sight. That may of been a separate issue.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 8:17:39 PM EDT
[#21]
View Quote

After reading posts in this thread about this problem, I was a bit worried while waiting for my AEM5 last year for my HCS Mod 1 upper.  Once I took the can home, though, I found mine turns about 8 or 9 times and is quite secure.

So, no problems with mine.  My upper was built by Kevin early last year.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 8:18:36 PM EDT
[#22]
View Quote
I would like to order 2 of the mod 0 manuals.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 8:52:54 PM EDT
[#23]
View Quote

I'd love a Mod 0/1 manual as well. Thank you.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 9:14:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Mod 0/1 manual here too
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 9:14:20 PM EDT
[#25]
So while I'm waiting on my AEM5, I've been toying with the idea of building out a M110 or Mk11 clone to go with the Mod 1. What do you guys think? Mk11 to go with the Mk12 or M110 because awesome?
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 9:22:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By cbfurg:
So while I'm waiting on my AEM5, I've been toying with the idea of building out a M110 or Mk11 clone to go with the Mod 1. What do you guys think? Mk11 to go with the Mk12 or M110 because awesome?
View Quote

Technically they're all Mk11's - either way, you'll need roughly $10k. Ask me how I know

Link Posted: 1/25/2017 9:32:36 PM EDT
[#27]
View Quote

In for one Mod 0/1 manual please.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 9:45:04 PM EDT
[#28]
An interesting little news article, on Phil Seberger, Ron Allen and the OPS Inc 12th Models, for those who haven't seen it before

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/07/11/allen-engineering/
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 9:45:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RTUtah] [#29]

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty:

Staff Sergeant Robert J. Miller distinguished himself by extraordinary acts of heroism while serving as the Weapons Sergeant in Special Forces Operational Detachment Alpha 3312, Special Operations Task Force-33, Combined Joint Special Operations Task Force-Afghanistan during combat operations against an armed enemy in Kunar Province, Afghanistan on 25 January 2008. While conducting a combat reconnaissance patrol through the Gowardesh Valley, Staff Sergeant Miller and his small element of U.S. and Afghan National Army soldiers engaged a force of 15 to 20 insurgents occupying prepared fighting positions. Staff Sergeant Miller initiated the assault by engaging the enemy positions with his vehicle’s turret-mounted Mark-19 40 millimeter automatic grenade launcher while simultaneously providing detailed descriptions of the enemy positions to his command, enabling effective, accurate close air support. Following the engagement, Staff Sergeant Miller led a small squad forward to conduct a battle damage assessment. As the group neared the small, steep, narrow valley that the enemy had inhabited, a large, well-coordinated insurgent force initiated a near ambush, assaulting from elevated positions with ample cover. Exposed and with little available cover, the patrol was totally vulnerable to enemy rocket propelled grenades and automatic weapon fire. As point man, Staff Sergeant Miller was at the front of the patrol, cut off from supporting elements, and less than 20 meters from enemy forces. Nonetheless, with total disregard for his own safety, he called for his men to quickly move back to covered positions as he charged the enemy over exposed ground and under overwhelming enemy fire in order to provide protective fire for his team. While maneuvering to engage the enemy, Staff Sergeant Miller was shot in his upper torso. Ignoring the wound, he continued to push the fight, moving to draw fire from over one hundred enemy fighters upon himself. He then again charged forward through an open area in order to allow his teammates to safely reach cover. After killing at least 10 insurgents, wounding dozens more, and repeatedly exposing himself to withering enemy fire while moving from position to position, Staff Sergeant Miller was mortally wounded by enemy fire. His extraordinary valor ultimately saved the lives of seven members of his own team and 15 Afghanistan National Army soldiers. Staff Sergeant Miller’s heroism and selflessness above and beyond the call of duty, and at the cost of his own life, are in keeping with the highest traditions of military service and reflect great credit upon himself and the United States Army.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 9:47:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By chenault:

It's possible, my HCS barrel (mod 1) only got 2 turns until I added a shim behind the crush washer now I get 4ish.  I got mine from HCS a long time ago though so I don't know it anything has changed.  Adding a shim wasn't a big deal though.

The issue had to do with where the step was not the front sight. That may of been a separate issue.
View Quote

If you send Ron an email he can make you a custom collar.  My mod 1 has a shilen barrel with the old spec barrel step.  After only getting 2 turns to lock up I contacted him and gave him the info he needed to make me a custom long collar.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 9:49:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By RadOP:

If you send Ron an email he can make you a custom collar.  My mod 1 has a shilen barrel with the old spec barrel step.  After only getting 2 turns to lock up I contacted him and gave him the info he needed to make me a custom long collar.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By chenault:

Excellent, thanks for the tip
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 10:39:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gunnut003] [#32]
Originally Posted By Hunterex:

My wheeled sight base is 1.85" long.  Anyone feel like measuring their later sights?  I've eyeballed various date of manufacture non-wheeled sights up against this wheeled and they've all appeared to be the same length, but I don't have a modern sight here at this temp housing to put a set of calipers on.
View Quote

The later clamp on sights are 2" long...as are the set screw versions that are made at the same time as the  clamp ones with the same forging.

ETA: this has already been hashed out in this thread or the previous one.

ETA2: AND we also learn the specs were messed with by the Army...
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 10:41:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Little Holland shooting in the snow last week.

Link Posted: 1/25/2017 10:42:14 PM EDT
[#34]
First point of business:

The FSB LENGTH never changed. What apparently DID change is where the port is in the gas block, so newer blocks sit a bit further forward vs the wheel FSB and original revised ones.

Second point, I'm going to re-post what I discovered after calling KG coatings today, asking about Kal Gard re: the early SPRs with that coating. I'm still corresponding with him as he said the upper pictures I sent of Shane's and BuggetNuster's appeared lighter than the SOF formulation they applied, so I may need to keep asking in case it's just an issue with color balance in the pics or something:

For those curious recently about Shane Wang's SPR upper and the "BuggetNuster" one, I just made a phone call over to KG Coatings and asked for someone who was around during the Kal-Gard days and spoke to the gentleman who was there when it all went down. He said I could freely pass on the info.
Back around 2001-2002, Crane or someone sent consultants out to Afghanistan to analyze the dirt/sand colors to come up with a color that would blend well with the environment. The color they came up with is what became the Kal-Gard Flat Dark Earth.

Apparently some of the first batches had a pinkish tone and he said the Crane folks stated they wouldn't use those due to the pink tone. Whether that held true when demand spiked, who knows. The color was tweaked after that to be the Flat Dark Earth we know and love. He said they may have done a few in a gray color as well.
For the actual process, Crane came out to California with the rifles. As they were M16s they had to apparently get checked into the Sheriff's office each day, and the Crane employees had to hover over the whole process the whole time. Not too many were done from what he remembered.This color/coating apparently wasn't exclusive to SPR uppers and was used on M4s as well.

The KG coating code is apparently Flat Dark Earth (2404F) for this color, and the Federal Standard code was 33446 that you can find listed as "Dessert Tan" (yes, that's how it's spelled when I looked it up in at least 2 places). The RGB hex is A38C6C.

LASTLY

I'm going to get with Samson regarding this Mod 0/1 manual and see what's actually in it. I've got a new manual made up for the early wheel-FSB rifles, but it sounds like folks would rather have a combined one? I planned to do a Gen II but I don't know if it's all worth the effort if everyone's just going to buy a "DRAFT" 0/1 manual with who knows what in it. The Mod 1 manual itself has "errors".
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 10:56:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Helojumper2001] [#35]
Originally Posted By cbfurg:
View Quote
I just recently ventured down this path. I found that the 7.62 URX barrel nut wrench is not only expensive but also hard to find. There is a fellow member on here named Unclemoak who not only did the install but also machined down the end of the URX 3.1 to facilitate more of a flush mount to the upper receiver. He does fantastic work and his prices are are unbelievably low. Here's some pics of Unclemoak's work on my upper. 

Link Posted: 1/25/2017 11:12:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Helojumper2001:
I just recently ventured down this path. I found that the 7.62 URX barrel nut wrench is not only expensive but also hard to find. There is a fellow member on here named Unclemoak who not only did the install but also machined down the end of the URX 3.1 to facilitate more of a flush mount to the upper receiver. He does fantastic work and his prices are are unbelievably low. Here's some pics of Unclemoak's work on my upper. 

http://i1377.photobucket.com/albums/ah74/helojumper2001/IMG_2371_zpsfzunubpr.jpg
http://i1377.photobucket.com/albums/ah74/helojumper2001/IMG_2372_zpsud1i3o4j.jpg
http://i1377.photobucket.com/albums/ah74/helojumper2001/IMG_2373_zpsihbovraj.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/26/2017 12:14:06 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By lancecriminal86:
First point of business:

The FSB LENGTH never changed. What apparently DID change is where the port is in the gas block, so newer blocks sit a bit further forward vs the wheel FSB and original revised ones.

Second point, I'm going to re-post what I discovered after calling KG coatings today, asking about Kal Gard re: the early SPRs with that coating. I'm still corresponding with him as he said the upper pictures I sent of Shane's and BuggetNuster's appeared lighter than the SOF formulation they applied, so I may need to keep asking in case it's just an issue with color balance in the pics or something:

For those curious recently about Shane Wang's SPR upper and the "BuggetNuster" one, I just made a phone call over to KG Coatings and asked for someone who was around during the Kal-Gard days and spoke to the gentleman who was there when it all went down. He said I could freely pass on the info.
Back around 2001-2002, Crane or someone sent consultants out to Afghanistan to analyze the dirt/sand colors to come up with a color that would blend well with the environment. The color they came up with is what became the Kal-Gard Flat Dark Earth.

Apparently some of the first batches had a pinkish tone and he said the Crane folks stated they wouldn't use those due to the pink tone. Whether that held true when demand spiked, who knows. The color was tweaked after that to be the Flat Dark Earth we know and love. He said they may have done a few in a gray color as well.
For the actual process, Crane came out to California with the rifles. As they were M16s they had to apparently get checked into the Sheriff's office each day, and the Crane employees had to hover over the whole process the whole time. Not too many were done from what he remembered.This color/coating apparently wasn't exclusive to SPR uppers and was used on M4s as well.

The KG coating code is apparently Flat Dark Earth (2404F) for this color, and the Federal Standard code was 33446 that you can find listed as "Dessert Tan" (yes, that's how it's spelled when I looked it up in at least 2 places). The RGB hex is A38C6C.

LASTLY

I'm going to get with Samson regarding this Mod 0/1 manual and see what's actually in it. I've got a new manual made up for the early wheel-FSB rifles, but it sounds like folks would rather have a combined one? I planned to do a Gen II but I don't know if it's all worth the effort if everyone's just going to buy a "DRAFT" 0/1 manual with who knows what in it. The Mod 1 manual itself has "errors".
View Quote

Our resident Mk12 detective delivers again. Good shit, bro. Keep it up. 
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 2:05:54 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By TinyCrumb:
Little Holland shooting in the snow last week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgBOpOa9pjI
View Quote

This gun has a good sound.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 7:00:02 AM EDT
[#39]
I'm interested in knowing how these shoot. Has anyone tried either of these barrels? 

Ballistic Advantage 4150 CMV SPR barrel 

Or

Green Mountain GM-M49 .223 Wylde Barrel
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 9:11:41 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By lwbyo1:
I'm interested in knowing how these shoot. Has anyone tried either of these barrels? 

Ballistic Advantage 4150 CMV SPR barrel 

Or

Green Mountain GM-M49 .223 Wylde Barrel
View Quote

My only experience with BA is a couple 16" ops-contoured stainless tubes.  If those are any indicator, that sucker oughta shoot great.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 9:20:46 AM EDT
[#41]
I've got the BA barrel and it shoots true. The profiling for the collar is spot on as well. My buddy's AEM5 locks up at about 7 1/2 turns and I don't have any POI shift at 100 yards. I have to rely on his kindness to play suppressed MOD 1 when I bring the MK12 out, onacounta mines still in time out. . Best grouping I've had was about 5/8 at 100 yards. BA stands behind they're products. They're a very nice barrel for the price point. You won't be let down imo.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 11:41:13 AM EDT
[#42]
I'm posting this for lancecriminal. I sent you an IM but I don't know how to send pictures in an IM. This is the manual I got. I've seen the one that says "draft" this one does not say draft but I have no clue if it is or not. You know far more about it. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 11:50:44 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By MichaelWeston:
I've got the BA barrel and it shoots true. The profiling for the collar is spot on as well. My buddy's AEM5 locks up at about 7 1/2 turns and I don't have any POI shift at 100 yards. I have to rely on his kindness to play suppressed MOD 1 when I bring the MK12 out, onacounta mines still in time out. . Best grouping I've had was about 5/8 at 100 yards. BA stands behind they're products. They're a very nice barrel for the price point. You won't be let down imo.
View Quote

All 3 of my rifles (Mod0, 16" Recon, Mod1"ish") used with OPS 12th 556 suppressors lock up at 4 to 5 turns, are phenomenally accurate, have little (1/4 MOA) or no POI shift, 2 Kriegers and 1 Douglas.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 12:07:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Count me in for 3 of the mod0/1 manuals.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 2:01:43 PM EDT
[#45]
I'd be more than happy to take a Mod 0 manual off your hands!
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 2:33:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Hey Samson-Dogg, Please put me down for a Mod 0/1 Manual and Labels. Thanks Bayrunner
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 2:34:06 PM EDT
[#47]

View All Quotes

The front sight isnt the halal answer to this issue some had because it also pertains to the mod 1. The original SPR/MK12 program at crane had a different spec for the step placement then what is now the updated spec that Ron has on his website. The original barrels only got 2-3 turns to lock up, this was done for quicker installation according to Ron. The preferred amount of turns for function and longevity of the can is 7-10 turns to seat the brake in the optimal position, this was achieved by moving the step placement slightly further back.

I know this has already been answered, but wanted to put everyones mind to rest about it. I have a new PRI FSB without the wheel. It measures in at 1.8525" long. It is the same length as Hunterex's wheeled version.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 3:51:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Just to let everyone know the mod 1 manuals are being mailed today. I was trying to wait on the labels but there seems to be a hold up on the stock they are being printed on. They were not a standard size I guess so they ordered sheets that they will print I think 8 labels per sheet. Anyway I'll send all the labels in stamp envelopes as soon as I get them which my luck will be 5 min after I drop these in the mail
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 4:47:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Found a sweet photo of a guy on Instagram with a late Mod 0 in theater.
Not sure how to post photos from IG, so here's a link directly to the post.  
https://www.instagram.com/p/BO5wtxeF32p/
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 4:49:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By ArmedFerret:

My only experience with BA is a couple 16" ops-contoured stainless tubes.  If those are any indicator, that sucker oughta shoot great.
View Quote
Yeah, I've heard the BA stainless steel barrels shoot well. The CMV barrels have a different chamber and twist rate than the stainless steel barrels. The stainless barrels are 1/8 twist with a 223 Wylde chamber and the 4150 CMV barrels are a 1/7 twist with a 5.56 chamber. I'm not sure how big of a difference that's going to make between the two, so I was hoping someone has some first hand experience with them.
Page / 1178
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top