Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 1178
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 10:25:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By HaveBlue83:
i bet a 7/16 2 flute endmill woulda been much easier and cleaner cutting........ ;)

yep, mine is lower as well. from badger.

https://i.ibb.co/2MqfHC5/IMG-20200901-221121251.jpg
View Quote

Good thing it's on the bottom.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 9:04:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By unstabl:
Received my slings today.  I'm not sure if I should use these or put them behind a set of brass poles with a red rope across and just look at them.  Amazing work.  Thank you again. I'll try for pictures tomorrow.
View Quote

LOL damn they came fast. Excited for pics!!
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 9:17:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By DStepec:

LOL damn they came fast. Excited for pics!!
View Quote

Yeah, I actually double checked where you were located in case my eyes were playing tricks.
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 6:14:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Tracked down an m951 fat body yesterday, anyone have a gg&g bipod they aren’t using?
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 11:36:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Alright y’all, I’m finally getting stuff together for a Mod 1 build.

I have a C stamped keyhole upper, the FF RAS, barrel, long collar, and gas block.

My question though, I have two C stamped carriers that I grabbed on the EE a while back, they both have a larger than normal firing pin retaining pin hole on the forward assist side of the carrier.

Does anyone know what era these carriers are from and do they require a certain firing pin retaining pin or is the difference just cosmetic?

I can get pictures up if needed.
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 11:52:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By TX_Vette:

I have a C stamped keyhole upper, the FF RAS, barrel, long collar, and gas block.

My question though, I have two C stamped carriers that I grabbed on the EE a while back, they both have a larger than normal firing pin retaining pin hole on the forward assist side of the carrier.

Does anyone know what era these carriers are from and do they require a certain firing pin retaining pin or is the difference just cosmetic?

View Quote

Seen both old M16A1 carriers with the smaller holes and later with the bigger holes.
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 12:17:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KGLaw] [#7]
Originally Posted By TX_Vette:

View Quote

If C marked with the big firing pin retaining pin hole, they're very likely 1968 production.  Good to go for a Mk12, but probably not that common given that most of the Colt lowers I've seen were late production.  I've got exactly one picture of one in use on a Mk12 and it was a mini celebration whenever I found it.

ETA -  I failed to answer all of your questions. Purely cosmetic.
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 12:49:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Hunterex:

If C marked with the big firing pin retaining pin hole, they're very likely 1968 production.  Good to go for a Mk12, but probably not that common given that most of the Colt lowers I've seen were late production.  I've got exactly one picture of one in use on a Mk12 and it was a mini celebration whenever I found it.

ETA -  I failed to answer all of your questions. Purely cosmetic.
View Quote

Awesome. Thanks for the replies. I have a brand new colt bolt for it and need to order firing pin, cam pin, and retaining pin but wanted to make sure 1) I get the right retaining pin, and 2) that it would be correct for the Mod 1. Sounds like I’m good to use it for now and I’ll keep an eye out for one with a normal retaining pin hole later down the road
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 4:56:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OTIS-Driftwood14] [#9]
"cant stop, wont stop."

Haveblue83, Are these rings with the lever stops that you removed yourself? Did you use aluminum black to cover the machining? They look great. I'm considering getting a set and filling off the lever stops.
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 5:01:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kmcale] [#10]
Originally Posted By OTIS-Driftwood14:
Are these rings with the lever stops that you removed yourself? Did you use aluminum black to cover the machining? They look great. I'm considering getting a set and filling off the lever stops.
View Quote

In this case I have a strong feeling you're referring to HaveBlue and his mill work, but for future posts regarding stuff from a few pages back, you should quote it
Link Posted: 9/5/2020 12:00:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dobs013] [#11]
Thanks to @DStepec I have a new sling (came out awesome) and some new hardware for my rails. I’ve started the process of cutting them to length. These are definitely hardened....I think I had an easier time cutting through a wheel stud on my car...Hahahaha. I’m taking my time with the screws bc I only have 1 complete set so I don’t wanna mess any up. So hopefully I’ll have them all in by next weekend.

ETA - well after 2 hours of grinding and taunting today...I got 2 screws done to complete one rail section.

Link Posted: 9/6/2020 10:26:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Dobs013:
Thanks to @DStepec I have a new sling (came out awesome) and some new hardware for my rails. I've started the process of cutting them to length. These are definitely hardened....I think I had an easier time cutting through a wheel stud on my car...Hahahaha. I'm taking my time with the screws bc I only have 1 complete set so I don't wanna mess any up. So hopefully I'll have them all in by next weekend.

https://i.imgur.com/g3zDGNd.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Qenegbq.jpg

ETA - well after 2 hours of grinding and taunting today...I got 2 screws done to complete one rail section.

https://i.imgur.com/jqXlxmp.jpg
View Quote
Looks good, I've been trying to find the right button head screws for my MRE, to no avail.
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 9:23:24 AM EDT
[#13]
I know that I speak blaspheme when I ask this, but I've already got a SAM-R clone-ish in 5.56.  Has anyone converted their Mk 12 rifle to a 6.5 Grendel?
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 10:12:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By hippies_suck71:
I know that I speak blaspheme when I ask this, but I've already got a SAM-R clone-ish in 5.56.  Has anyone converted their Mk 12 rifle to a 6.5 Grendel?
View Quote

There's been a few guys here who have ran with the Grendel.
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 10:26:56 AM EDT
[#15]
So after looking at that pic again for the last week, I’m about 95% certain that there is a 3” side rail at the 6 position. So I removed the 8.5” bottom rail and mounted an unmarked beveled side rail in its place. I’m still working in shortening the screws but at least I only have 3 left to do and not 5. I’m hoping my 951 fat body shows up tomorrow or Wednesday. Then I just need a gg&g bipod and of course the impossible to get welded latch/pat pend ch and the upper is finished. Then I can start on the lower.

Link Posted: 9/7/2020 10:36:51 AM EDT
[#16]
View Quote

There's been a fair few Grendel clones in the past.  I couldn't begin to know which page or who did it though.  Maybe run a google string with "site:ar15.com mk12 grendel" or something, if someone else doesn't have the info handy.
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 10:45:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: kmcale] [#17]
Originally Posted By ProfessorHorseyhead:

There's been a fair few Grendel clones in the past.  I couldn't begin to know which page or who did it though.  Maybe run a google string with "site:ar15.com mk12 grendel" or something, if someone else doesn't have the info handy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Iirc, theres one around page 1000 +/- 1 or 2 pages

So after looking at that pic again for the last week, I’m about 95% certain that there is a 3” side rail at the 6 position. So I removed the 8.5” bottom rail and mounted an unmarked beveled side rail in its place. I’m still working in shortening the screws but at least I only have 3 left to do and not 5. I’m hoping my 951 fat body shows up tomorrow or Wednesday. Then I just need a gg&g bipod and of course the impossible to get welded latch/pat pend ch and the upper is finished. Then I can start on the lower.

https://i.imgur.com/gp2wcDj.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/bbpvI78.jpg

That is looking mighty fine
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 2:27:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks guys, Got my bcg today and swapped in a Lantac domed can pin, only bc it’s purely functional and they work great.

Link Posted: 9/7/2020 7:53:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rbgonoles] [#19]
Thanks @DStepec. I never thought I’d be this excited about a sling. Cheers!

Sun came out

Link Posted: 9/8/2020 11:23:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PerfectTurn] [#20]
Originally Posted By rbgonoles:

https://i.postimg.cc/j2C68mm6/4-E2489-BA-6890-4891-B902-55-A53-A4-F10-C2.jpg

Sun came out

https://i.postimg.cc/hvrjdtpp/B550-DB48-F7-C2-43-B6-9027-C260610-B6-F19.jpg
View Quote

This is awesome, thanks for posting man, looks great on your stick. Needed the cheer up, out in California dodging wildfires.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 1:38:43 PM EDT
[#21]

Sun came out

View Quote

What kind of sling adapter for the fixed stock are you using? That sling looks great, is it the Eagle TAS?
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 4:52:52 PM EDT
[#22]
So I bought a MOD 0 from BCM, back in 2010? I honesty can’t remember, anyway I’ve been slowly making it more and more accurate. I picked up a couple old Colt uppers, a split A, a AF, and a Diemaco. I’m not sure which would be the best one to go with, my second issue was, when I went to remove the set screw on the collar I realized real fast they are not coming out and I have learned when to quit, I also realized the PRI forearm isn’t coming off easy. What are my options at this point?
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 5:03:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Im interested in building a mk12. Ive seen some marketing by Daniel Defense as selling a MK12. Did they ever actually produce a MK12?
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 5:09:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Engineer5] [#24]
Originally Posted By Revwall:
Im interested in building a mk12. Ive seen some marketing by Daniel Defense as selling a MK12. Did they ever actually produce a MK12?
View Quote

DD's Mk12 is a Mk12 in name only.  It's nothing like the ones you see in this thread.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 5:38:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KGLaw] [#25]
Originally Posted By mstennes:
So I bought a MOD 0 from BCM, back in 2010? I honesty can’t remember, anyway I’ve been slowly making it more and more accurate. I picked up a couple old Colt uppers, a split A, a AF, and a Diemaco. I’m not sure which would be the best one to go with, my second issue was, when I went to remove the set screw on the collar I realized real fast they are not coming out and I have learned when to quit, I also realized the PRI forearm isn’t coming off easy. What are my options at this point?
View Quote

C AF is good to go. If the Diemaco is a Split A that would be an option as well.  

As for the collar screw, heat may need to be applied. That little bugger strips easy as-is...  Add threadlocker and it's sometimes a chore.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 6:26:30 PM EDT
[#26]
So I applied rocksett to the brake and a dot to all the hardware on the rail and sleeve as well as the set screws on the fsgb tonight. I ran into something while torquing the brake. I have a turn in barrel I’m using for this build dated 04. When I got the barrel I noticed the threads looked longer than the normal ~ 0.65” give or take on a normal barrel. I didn’t think enough about it to measure it. When I put the brake on the barrel there was a significant gap between the shoulder of the brake and the shoulder of the barrel with the brake bottomed out. So long story short, if you are using a turn in barrel for your build and you don’t have an older ops brake with the longer suppressor threads( I’m assuming this is why the gap is there) and you are planning to install a newer brake....have lots of shims!

Link Posted: 9/9/2020 6:43:21 PM EDT
[#27]
So I applied rocksett to the brake and a dot to all the hardware on the rail and sleeve as well as the set screws on the fsgb tonight. I ran into something while torquing the brake. I have a turn in barrel I’m using for this build dated 04. When I got the barrel I noticed the threads looked longer than the normal ~ 0.65” give or take on a normal barrel. I didn’t think enough about it to measure it. When I put the brake on the barrel there was a significant gap between the shoulder of the brake and the shoulder of the barrel with the brake bottomed out. So long story short, if you are using a turn in barrel for your build and you don’t have an older ops brake with the longer suppressor threads( I’m assuming this is why the gap is there) and you are planning to install a newer brake....have lots of shims!

https://i.imgur.com/XePg9oW.jpg
View Quote

The long thread brakes with a shim are just a Gen I thing, and possibly very, very early Mod 1s.  Barrel didn't change in profile between the generations anyway. Current length brakes over crush washers with the crop of returned barrels based on their dates.

My problem with the returned barrels is a long collar with an appropriately set brake results in only two rotations.  

Link Posted: 9/9/2020 6:51:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dobs013] [#28]

The long thread brakes with a shim are just a Gen I thing, and possibly very, very early Mod 1s.  Barrel didn't change in profile between the generations anyway. Current length brakes over crush washers with the crop of returned barrels based on their dates.

My problem with the returned barrels is a long collar with an appropriately set brake results in only two rotations.  

View Quote

Honestly I can’t tell if the collar hit the step or the fsgb on mine. But it wouldn’t surprise me if it were the gas block. This barrel has the flats milled and is also dimpled. The paint underneath the handguard has the vent hole pattern of a ff ras so I’m assuming it came off a mod 1.

ETA - with all these shims maybe I bought myself a turn or two...
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 7:10:53 PM EDT
[#29]

Honestly I can’t tell if the collar hit the step or the fsgb on mine. But it wouldn’t surprise me if it were the gas block. This barrel has the flats milled and is also dimpled. The paint underneath the handguard has the vent hole pattern of a ff ras so I’m assuming it came off a mod 1.

ETA - with all these shims maybe I bought myself a turn or two...
View Quote

Every painted one I've seen so far have been Mod 1s.  I took one and used an extended thread reducer and a 30 cal brake on my Gen I to kick it out to six rotations.  Not exactly elegant, but it works.  

The Gen IIIs and Mod 1s up to a certain date used a shared barrel. Gen Is are still technically a Rev3 barrel, but lack the dimples(craters more like) for the Mod 1's gas block.  The SH Gen III Mod 0 shows them pretty well in one of the pics.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 7:14:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Engineer5] [#30]
Here's my take off.  I think if I remember correctly I'm getting 4+ turns.

Link Posted: 9/9/2020 7:14:10 PM EDT
[#31]

Every painted one I've seen so far have been Mod 1s.  I took one and used an extended thread reducer and a 30 cal brake on my Gen I to kick it out to six rotations.  Not exactly elegant, but it works.  

The Gen IIIs and Mod 1s up to a certain date used a shared barrel. Gen Is are still technically a Rev3 barrel, but lack the dimples(craters more like) for the Mod 1's gas block.  The SH Gen III Mod 0 shows them pretty well in one of the pics.
View Quote

I’m not sure elegant and mk12 belong in the same sentence anyway, so I think you’re good!
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 7:16:19 PM EDT
[#32]
View Quote

Awesome! That’s good to know. I’m waiting for some personal issues to resolve themselves and I’m going to get the wait going on the aem5.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 9:02:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Revwall:
View Quote

Not laughing at you, I'm laughing at DD calling that a "Mk12".
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 10:36:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rbgonoles] [#34]

What kind of sling adapter for the fixed stock are you using? That sling looks great, is it the Eagle TAS?
View All Quotes

Sun came out

Eagle TAS stock adapter. The stock is an older D from an Sp1, so it’s a bit odd fitting with the non fixed sling swivel. Fit better on the A2 stock I took it off of.
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 10:24:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mstennes] [#35]

C AF is good to go. If the Diemaco is a Split A that would be an option as well.  

As for the collar screw, heat may need to be applied. That little bugger strips easy as-is...  Add threadlocker and it's sometimes a chore.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mstennes:

I see how that could easily happen, that’s why I’m asking for recommendations as one, I don’t want to fuck it up, and two, I really don’t have the time
ETA,I’ll have to look at the Diemaco .
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 12:29:06 PM EDT
[#36]

View All Quotes

my SAM-R is in .224valk and id say do a 5.56 mk12 and make the 20" SAM-R the caliber wildcat....mo barrel, mo velocity.

i absolutely LOVE my SAM-R and it does 1035yds easily. 34moa dope. all day.
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 5:28:54 PM EDT
[#37]
All correct screws installed!

Link Posted: 9/10/2020 6:07:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PerfectTurn] [#38]
View Quote

Fantastic!!! Your next small win can be blued set screws on that FSB. Every one of my local hardware stores has them. Get them shiners off of there for $2 :)
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 6:18:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dobs013] [#39]
Originally Posted By DStepec:

Fantastic!!! Your next small win can be blued set screws on that FSB. Every one of my local hardware stores has them. Get them shiners off of there for $2 :)
View Quote

They are just place holders. The fsgb is a turn in also so Im gonna clean off the ones that came in it , because they are pretty nasty, and toss them back in. The hex isn’t as bad on them as I thought originally.
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 7:14:09 AM EDT
[#40]
Original set screws bathed in acetone and scrubbed and reinstalled.

Link Posted: 9/11/2020 1:48:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Finally for my Mod 1 done (to me at least), BIG thank you to @5pt56 for helping me out with some good parts for a good price. As well as you guys for the info!
Yes it's not 100% correct but IDK, I will try to work on getting 100% correct but I'm very happy with it!

Link Posted: 9/11/2020 1:59:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Because 9/11:

Link Posted: 9/11/2020 2:04:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By PA-Minuteman:
Finally for my Mod 1 done (to me at least), BIG thank you to @5pt56 for helping me out with some good parts for a good price. As well as you guys for the info!
Yes it's not 100% correct but IDK, I will try to work on getting 100% correct but I'm very happy with it!

https://i.imgur.com/3xISfPGl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/dPTiSorl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/FfH8nYfl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/ICVeYs4l.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/7UEXBXpl.jpg
View Quote

Great job! I'm happy to see you bring it together! You can always work on additional touches down the road...you being happy with it is whats important! Enjoy shooting it!
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 2:10:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By lancecriminal86:
Because 9/11:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50330995827_ea5ca8b17b_k.jpg
View Quote

Looks amazing.. makes me want to scrap mine.. haha!
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 2:36:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By lancecriminal86:
Because 9/11:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50330995827_ea5ca8b17b_k.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/11/2020 3:07:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 3:37:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Making me feel bad guys.. going to take my ball and go home
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 4:13:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Engineer5] [#48]

Link Posted: 9/11/2020 4:16:55 PM EDT
[#49]
Combat fleshlight is mounted...

Still need to find the right hex screws sir the swan sleeve and trr. I know this is like asking fo $1m but if anyone has a lead on a welded latch Agas buster I’m in need!
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 4:45:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Combat fleshlight is mounted...

https://i.imgur.com/Q64Gwj0.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/XX53fvC.jpg

Still need to find the right hex screws sir the swan sleeve and trr. I know this is like asking fo $1m but if anyone has a lead on a welded latch Agas buster I’m in need!
View Quote

According to some info I got today, you don't HAVE to have one for a late 0.

Guy from 10th Grp snagged his CH off the late Mod 0 he carried, said they got it around 2004 for OIF, had it through around 2006. Looking at his pics, it's the older engraved markings with pri-mounts website and finish but the later style, non welded latch. Latch finish is parkerized instead of nitrided or whatever current ones are, handle anodizing was more of a brown/purple hue. Looking at the pics he sent and what he says matches up with some things @Hunterex has observed, older non-welded gasbusters are GTG for late Mod 0 and probably as well for the later made Mod 1s.

Hunterex pointed out to me that 2004 seems to be when a few shifts came in PRI's products so it all lines up as far as I'm concerned.
Page / 1178
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top